Cruise to Greenland!

We booked a B2B on Grandeur going to the southern Caribbean and then to Greenland.  It will be interesting packing.  

We hope to see the Northern lights and get to Greenland without the expensive and long flight to Europe.  We considered the last leg of the world cruise but decided on these 2. I’m hoping it will still be beautiful and know it will be cold! 

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We booked a B2B on Grandeur going to the southern Caribbean and then to Greenland.  It will be interesting packing.  

We hope to see the Northern lights and get to Greenland without the expensive and long flight to Europe.  We considered the last leg of the world cruise but decided on these 2. I’m hoping it will still be beautiful and know it will be cold! 

We considered doing it that way, too. But it's a whole lot easier to park the car in the Boston area and not have to travel to get to the start,  So our B2B will be Greenland and Canada.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RoyalC said:

Anyone that sells the Jewel has no soul. Seriously, these ships go places others can't. Should have kept Empress too. Best ship for food, ports, and service! Many first time cruises on these ships that build brand loyalty. 

I am on the Grandeur for Greenland in 2024 which is Vision class 

27 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

We considered doing it that way, too. But it's a whole lot easier to park the car in the Boston area and not have to travel to get to the start,  So our B2B will be Greenland and Canada.

We have to fly regardless and with Southwest it’s easy to buy 2 one way tickets.  We just did that for our Panama Canal cruise.  I do want to stay 2-3 nights in Boston post cruise and see the sights. Since you’re from the area how many days should we plan to see the main historic sights of Boston? 

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We have to fly regardless and with Southwest it’s easy to buy 2 one way tickets.  We just did that for our Panama Canal cruise.  I do want to stay 2-3 nights in Boston post cruise and see the sights. Since you’re from the area how many days should we plan to see the main historic sights of Boston? 

Actually, we are not from there, just have family where we can park our car at.  It's a reasonable drive to get there in a day or so.

One of our trips there, my parents came, and the other family hosted us for some touring- one day we did the hop on-hop off bus, another we did the Duck tour.  And even so, I would add some time- go see where the shot heard round the world happened, just to soak it in.  

I have yet to find a hotel that would not store our luggage when getting off a ship.  So that day can be a complete tour day.  If you can swing it, I'd do 3 nights so that you have 3 pretty full days to see stuff.  Assuming you are into the revolutionary war history.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/29/2023 at 10:39 AM, Another_Critic said:

There were three grocery stores in town.  

And thousand of flying insects.  😞

Not a single flying insect when we  were their this past September, never had to use our nets at any of the Greenland ports.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Not a single flying insect when we  were their this past September, never had to use our nets at any of the Greenland ports.

We have a cruise similar to the one you took.  What excursions did you take?

7 hours ago, Keksie said:

We have a cruise similar to the one you took.  What excursions did you take?

First stop was suppose to be in Halifax but port stop was canceled because of Hurricane Lee.

At that port we had a Private Tour scheduled with a local tour guide which we had to cancel. Was really look forward to that too.

Then sailed directly to Greenland at 5pm after spending an overnight in Manhattan, NY.

Nuuk was the first stop, where we took a Boat tour which was really nice, seeing icebergs and mountains. It was within walking distance from the ship where we docked. We  did not go into the town, weather was kind of cool and you needed to be transported into town by busses.  Those that went into town said there wasn't much there.

Next stop was  Qaqortoq  which was a tender port. We had the Key so getting off the ship to the tender was easy, those without Key had quite a wait getting off. Did a Walking Tour there, that met right on shore where we got off.  That was a cool town to walk around and meet all the locals.

Last Greenland Port was  Nanortalik, this was another tender port also. There we just walked around because there was not many tours offered. This town is really remote and very few people live there so there really wasn't much to see.

I can't remember which port it was now but the RIB boat tours (Rigid Inflatable Boats) is the excursions to take take in Greenland. In hind sight we should have booked one of them, people were saying  around the ship later that, that excursion was really good and those people really got some awesome shots of icebergs and such and even some of them got to touch an ice berg.

Then we left Greenberg and headed back to Bayonne, our last stop was at St. Johns, New Foundland

There we just walked around town, glad we didn't book any excursions there. Because little did we know we were both coming down with Covid so didn't feel the greatest. So  being not far away from the ship was a good thing. Didn't know until about 2  days later after leaving there that we actually were confirmed with Covid. So the Last day(packing day) we  were quarantined in our cabin.

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

In August, the bugs wore much worse in Iceland than in Greenland. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

First stop was suppose to be in Halifax but port stop was canceled because of Hurricane Lee.

At that port we had a Private Tour scheduled with a local tour guide which we had to cancel. Was really look forward to that too.

Then sailed directly to Greenland at 5pm after spending an overnight in Manhattan, NY.

Nuuk was the first stop, where we took a Boat tour which was really nice, seeing icebergs and mountains. It was within walking distance from the ship where we docked. We  did not go into the town, weather was kind of cool and you needed to be transported into town by busses.  Those that went into town said there wasn't much there.

Next stop was  Qaqortoq  which was a tender port. We had the Key so getting off the ship to the tender was easy, those without Key had quite a wait getting off. Did a Walking Tour there, that met right on shore where we got off.  That was a cool town to walk around and meet all the locals.

Last Greenland Port was  Nanortalik, this was another tender port also. There we just walked around because there was not many tours offered. This town is really remote and very few people live there so there really wasn't much to see.

I can't remember which port it was now but the RIB boat tours (Rigid Inflatable Boats) is the excursions to take take in Greenland. In hind sight we should have booked one of them, people were saying  around the ship later that, that excursion was really good and those people really got some awesome shots of icebergs and such and even some of them got to touch an ice berg.

Then we left Greenberg and headed back to Bayonne, our last stop was at St. Johns, New Foundland

There we just walked around town, glad we didn't book any excursions there. Because little did we know we were both coming down with Covid so didn't feel the greatest. So  being not far away from the ship was a good thing. Didn't know until about 2  days later after leaving there that we actually were confirmed with Covid. So the Last day(packing day) we  were quarantined in our cabin.

Thank you.  This gives me some good ideas.  Were the tours you took ship tours or independent ones?  Was the RIB boat a ship tour?  Sorry you were ill the last day.

49 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Thank you.  This gives me some good ideas.  Were the tours you took ship tours or independent ones?  Was the RIB boat a ship tour?  Sorry you were ill the last day.

Boat tour and walking tour were Royal's tours...The Halifax tour was independent,found the guys name from Cruise Critic thread.

Yes the RIB boats tours were also Royals,,they are expensive but well worth it from people talking and their pictures. They book up fast too. So keep an eye out on your Cruise Planner.

• Thanks 1

DH did the rib tour via RCI.  IIRC it was about $125 - booked the day it went on sale and prices soared after that! He was in first rib, full immersion suit; definitely not for anyone with mobility issues

See boat size for comparison! 😮 

5 Nanortalik icebergs and small boat 2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No need for tours in any other place.. all far too small and nothing to “see”.. just walk around and experience the sights and the hardship of life thereIMG_1514.thumb.jpeg.ea03214af31ff5e18000c5d48cc69174.jpeg

NuukIMG_1561.thumb.jpeg.d4346cd242d6bba45af38da653984cd2.jpeg

IMG_1600.thumb.jpeg.f796468bc1b000f03afb852c31b73a27.jpeg

Nanortalik

IMG_1469.thumb.jpeg.434bad4e2e6387709f42861d51e490e4.jpeg

and don’t forget the northern lights  

IMG_1607.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Boat tour and walking tour were Royal's tours...The Halifax tour was independent,found the guys name from Cruise Critic thread.

Yes the RIB boats tours were also Royals,,they are expensive but well worth it from people talking and their pictures. They book up fast too. So keep an eye out on your Cruise Planner.

I will keep an eye out for those excursions.  Right now they have changed our ship to the Jewel and nothing is in the cruise planner.  I am even more excited because we got a better cabin for a lot less money.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jimbo said:

We did not need any nets on our only Greenland stop, Qaqortoq ( Mid September).  However we needed them  in Isafjorour,   Iceland at most of the tour stops. Seems we had unusually warm weather which brought them out.   Bought  nets last minute and it was glad I did. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 8:13 AM, Keksie said:

I will keep an eye out for those excursions.  Right now they have changed our ship to the Jewel and nothing is in the cruise planner.  I am even more excited because we got a better cabin for a lot less money.  

Pictures from the Rib Tours  from when we were in Greenland, that some others took.

Been to Alaska too , and never seen anything like this floating in the open water.

image.png.e8e9d38f21f2c91bd770d19e80f2e6ea.png

image.thumb.png.0217b18fab8132e5774a9e00a9ca518b.png

image.thumb.png.efa0cb9df7ffc4fbb6d6e9cc3feba029.png

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Pictures from the Rib Tours  from when we were in Greenland, that some others took.

Been to Alaska too , and never seen anything like this floating in the open water.

image.png.e8e9d38f21f2c91bd770d19e80f2e6ea.png

image.thumb.png.0217b18fab8132e5774a9e00a9ca518b.png

image.thumb.png.efa0cb9df7ffc4fbb6d6e9cc3feba029.png

That is awesome 

• Like 2

This was our Nuuk Day

20230920_065226.jpg

This is the Port Area, All those busses are mostly to take people into the town, you can walk it, some did but it's mostly an uphill walk.

20230920_090420.jpg

This is the boat that our tour was in, again this is not the RIB boat tour boats.

20230920_153921.jpg

Here are some of the icebergs we saw, not as large as the ones I posted earlier but still larger then any we ever saw in Alaska.

20230920_141045.jpg

20230920_141130.jpg

Lots of mountain views on the tour, the water is a really neat color too.

20230920_142833_01.jpg

Little video of some of the little water falls

20230920_143014.jpg

Wasn't as cold in the town, but much colder out here where the boat went, still snow on the mountains.

20230920_150607.jpg

Look like we were on another planet.

20230920_150637.jpg

A Northern Light Pic to  wet  your appetite.

FB_IMG_1695170644339.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

This was our Nuuk Day

20230920_065226.jpg

This is the Port Area, All those busses are mostly to take people into the town, you can walk it, some did but it's mostly an uphill walk.

20230920_090420.jpg

This is the boat that our tour was in, again this is not the RIB boat tour boats.

20230920_153921.jpg

Here are some of the icebergs we saw, not as large as the ones I posted earlier but still larger then any we ever saw in Alaska.

20230920_141045.jpg

20230920_141130.jpg

Lots of mountain views on the tour, the water is a really neat color too.

20230920_142833_01.jpg

Little video of some of the little water falls

20230920_143014.jpg

Wasn't as cold in the town, but much colder out here where the boat went, still snow on the mountains.

20230920_150607.jpg

Look like we were on another planet.

20230920_150637.jpg

A Northern Light Pic to  wet  your appetite.

FB_IMG_1695170644339.jpg

I am excited already.  This is what we are hoping for on our trip.  Thinking about our favorite cruises they have all been to scenic, cooler climates.  I may need a warmer coat and new long underwear.

• Like 1