Changes to Princess Plus, room service fees, Alfredo's and others. Fee changes. Etc

LMaxwell

We are on the August 15 voyage of the Crown Princess.

When we booked the cruise the "Medallion Class Experience" was advertised as coming included with the standard fare.

The perks of the "Medallion Class Experience" included "Ocean Now:

image.png.cfb1703063ce8c8bfc2c63331e848f07.png

So this included perk is now an additional $15 per person plus a $5 charge per order to the stateroom? 

This is a complete bait and switch! These charges should be waived for anyone that booked prior to this anouncement.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

So I'll begin my next post with this:  I am a loyal Princess cruiser; have been since 2010; have 39 sailings on Princess; have never had a issue that didn't get resolved amicably; we currently have 4 booked cruises totaling 55 days.  Now, over the last several months we have seen the benefits of loyalty begin a slow decline while cruise fares have risen, daily gratuities have increased, cost for wifi have risen, loyalty OBC has disappeared, and other amenities have been removed.  Today, we are told that some food services will no longer be free and new charges will begin for delivery of food/drinks all in an effort to convince passengers to book beverage packages that on their face value, are not worth the cost.  All of this is being done in the name of reducing cost and increasing income/profit.

So here is my suggestion:  I too wish to lower cost and as a result increase my financial balance sheet and one of the ways I can accomplish this goal is to begin with the daily gratuities.  At the current $16 per day per guest ($32 for a couple) that comes to $448 on a 14 day cruise.  By having the automatic gratuities taken off my account, I have just saved $448 minus any tip that I might give to my room steward or other crew member who does a great job providing services to me, my DW and our cabin.  We will be able to provide our room steward an amble gratuity and still be well ahead and enough to splurge on a couple of nights of room service and pay the $5 per delivery (no need to tip the person delivering since the $5 fee should cover that).  Princess convinces some to pay the higher/new fees and thus increases their profit/income, we found a way to decrease our expenditures and still be able to enjoy our cruise.  Win Win.   

Edited by whitecap
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, whitecap said:

So I'll begin my next post with this:  I am a loyal Princess cruiser; have been since 2010; have 39 sailings on Princess; have never had a issue that didn't get resolved amicably; we currently have 4 booked cruises totaling 55 days.  Now, over the last several months we have seen the benefits of loyalty begin a slow decline while cruise fares have risen, daily gratuities have increased, cost for wifi have risen, loyalty OBC has disappeared, and other amenities have been removed.  Today, we are told that some food services will no longer be free and new charges will begin for delivery of food/drinks all in an effort to convince passengers to book beverage packages that on their face value, are not worth the cost.  All of this is being done in the name of reducing cost and increasing income/profit.

So here is my suggestion:  I too wish to lower cost and as a result increase my financial balance sheet and one of the ways I can accomplish this goal is to begin with the daily gratuities.  At the current $16 per day per guest ($32 for a couple) that comes to $448 on a 14 day cruise.  By having the automatic gratuities take off my account, I have just saved $448 minus any tip that I might give to my room steward or other crew member who does a great job providing services to me, my DW and our cabin.  We will be able to provide our room steward an amble gratuity and still be well ahead and enough to splurge on a couple of nights of room service and pay the $5 per delivery (no need to tip the person delivering since the $5 fee should cover that).  Princess convinces some to pay the higher/new fees and thus increases their profit/income, we found a way to decrease our expenditures and still be able to enjoy our cruise.  Win Win.   

So basically you found a way to short the crew of what is a major part of their compensation.

If you do not like the fees, it is pretty simple do not buy the product and do not cruise on the cruise line.

1 hour ago, villauk said:

It states that you can keep your original ‘Plus’ package and enjoy your original perks, so does that mean you can go to Alfredo’s as many times as you like for free as that was included in your original purchased package 🤔?

6 minutes ago, jinpasco said:

Exactly what I want to know. 

No it does not.  Casual dining venues were not included in the Plus/Premier.  The fact that Alfredo's is free today and will cost tomorrow is a separate thing.  You either pay for each visit and a la carte or prix fixe - or you upgrade Plus/Premier.  Note that with Plus you get two visits covered per booked voyage and Premier is unlimited.  The value is $15/visit, but that is for a full meal.  I don't think you can go 4X and just have pizza should pizza be no more than $7.50 a la carte.  In fact, I would be pretty certain of that.

1 minute ago, whitecap said:

So here is my suggestion:  I too wish to lower cost and as a result increase my financial balance sheet and one of the ways I can accomplish this goal is to begin with the daily gratuities.  At the current $16 per day per guest ($32 for a couple) that comes to $448 on a 14 day cruise.  By having the automatic gratuities take off my account, I have just saved $448 minus any tip that I might give to my room steward or other crew member who does a great job providing services to me, my DW and our cabin.  We will be able to provide our room steward an amble gratuity and still be well ahead and enough to splurge on a couple of nights of room service and pay the $5 per delivery (no need to tip the person delivering since the $5 fee should cover that).  Princess convinces some to pay the higher/new fees and thus increases their profit/income, we found a way to decrease our expenditures and still be able to enjoy our cruise.  Win Win.   

Ouch! I hope your tongue is firmly in your cheek.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

You have to be joking.  They are price gouging, moving the goal posts and providing a much poorer product.  This is no different than what the airlines did when they unbundled their services.  

I expect the creative charges to keep coming, ie. MDR is $10.00 extra each night per passenger but you can still eat in the buffet free.   But Princess is going to enhance your buffet experience by adding a new express line to the buffet for $5.00 extra per use.  It is true there are suckers born every minute. 

Princess is aligning themselves with the other mass market competition to pay off their debt.  RC, X, and Carnival have been charging for these amenities for a long time.  If the competition can get away with it why can't Princess?

It's a question of where Princess loyalists will take their loyalty.  Will they stick with Princess or go with more premium cruise lines?  Princess has to live with the decision they made and any future impact to their business.  Obviously they think that this move to start charging for more amenities won't hurt, but improve their bottom line.

I still think that Princess' Standard fares are competitive considering voyage length compared to the competition.

Remember when airlines starting charging for checked bags for those in economy?  One airline did it and the rest followed suit, except Southwest.  One airline started a basic economy fare; now, all major carriers have a basic economy fare.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

I was shown a screen that I wasn’t supposed to be shown onboard when booking a cruise, and the commission to the TA was clearly 10%. It may vary depending on whether it is group space, etc.

Extras may be a higher commission and I know for a fact that insurance commission is huge.

Then they must earn more on volume bonuses and such because an agency could not survive in giving customers even 10% discount off commissionable fare, let alone more than that.

Just now, Steelers36 said:

Then they must earn more on volume bonuses and such because an agency could not survive in giving customers even 10% discount off commissionable fare, let alone more than that.

I’m sure you’re right. 

1 minute ago, ldtr said:

So basically you found a way to short the crew of what is a major part of their compensation.

If you do not like the fees, it is pretty simple do not buy the product and do not cruise on the cruise line.

The rules have changed after they booked, as for shorting the crew they are on a fixed wage now, so stopping your auto tip makes 0 difference anymore 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sunviking90 said:

or not - Princess has increased prices so they have more money to pay crew wages and not rely on tips.  Removing CA with standard pricing will become a regular happening

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, whitecap said:

At the current $16 per day per guest ($32 for a couple) that comes to $448 on a 14 day cruise.  By having the automatic gratuities taken off my account, I have just saved $448 minus any tip that I might give to my room steward or other crew member who does a great job providing services to me, my DW and our cabin.  We will be able to provide our room steward an amble gratuity and still be well ahead and enough to splurge on a couple of nights of room service and pay the $5 per delivery (no need to tip the person delivering since the $5 fee should cover that).  Princess convinces some to pay the higher/new fees and thus increases their profit/income, we found a way to decrease our expenditures and still be able to enjoy our cruise.  Win Win.   

Agree.  Let Princess start paying a living wage to their crew with their new found profits from price gouging their loyal passengers.  We have attended many Most Traveled Functions and they always say because of your loyalty we are in business.  Looks like their business model is changing.  

Also, we have referred many a family member and friend to Princess but can no longer feel comfortable getting them involved in the Nickel and Dime Circus.

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 9

Just now, ldtr said:

I find it interesting that gratuities are, as you say it, "a major part of their compensation".  Do you tip the produce manager at your local grocery store?  Or the farmer who delivered the corn?  Maybe the cruise lines should be paying their workers a better salary and then all the tipping wouldn't be "a major part of their compensation".  

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

I wouldn’t pay the $15 for app activation. I don’t need anything delivered to me. It has always seemed easier to go up and get what I want. We have used RS occasionally, but mostly for breakfast so that won’t change. I guess I just proved I’m not the type of passenger Princess wants, lol.

I will likely pay for app activation but I will certainly make up for it by spending a little less elsewhere.  I don't see me using RS more than once or twice.  

For me it's not really about the $ as much as the services that were implied/promised to be free when I booked that are no longer going to be free.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, voljeep said:
4 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

or not - Princess has increased prices so they have more money to pay crew wages and not rely on tips.  Removing CA with standard pricing will become a regular happening

Read: stiffing the crew.  It is what it is. Can't candy-coat or use righteous justification.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Princess is aligning themselves with the other mass market competition to pay off their debt.  RC, X, and Carnival have been charging for these amenities for a long time.  If the competition can get away with it why can't Princess?

It's a question of where Princess loyalists will take their loyalty.  Will they stick with Princess or go with more premium cruise lines?  Princess has to live with the decision they made and any future impact to their business.  Obviously they think that this move to start charging for more amenities won't hurt, but improve their bottom line.

I still think that Princess' Standard fares are competitive considering voyage length compared to the competition.

Remember when airlines starting charging for checked bags for those in economy?  One airline did it and the rest followed suit, except Southwest.  One airline started a basic economy fare; now, all major carriers have a basic economy fare.

Considering that Princess has been the best value (lowest price) among its competitors (Celebrity, Princess, HAL) adult focused lines. Even with the price increases still is lower than its competition.  Many of its most loyal customers are very price conscious and are rather unlikely to move to premium lines.  Might see some movement to HAL.  Many with either bite their tongue and continue to cruise with Princess in spite of the increases or if it has moved above their price point stop cruising or move to the family focused brands.

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

But you can go into that location now and order a Appetizer, a Main dish, and a Dessert.  How will they still offer that for free and at the same time have a 3-course "bundle" for a fee?  "Hey, you Steerage guest - er I mean Standard Fare person - if you want free pizza, it's up on the Lido deck."

Carmen and Marsha didn't phrase it the way I did, but they pointed out at least twice that there is free pizza at Slice on Lido.  Once a person asked about kid's pricing and they were referred to Lido for free.  Yup, I bet guests aren't going to be happy paying adult price for a kid.  Kids get SD for 1/2 price, as an example.

2 minutes ago, whitecap said:

I find it interesting that gratuities are, as you say it, "a major part of their compensation".  Do you tip the produce manager at your local grocery store?  Or the farmer who delivered the corn?  Maybe the cruise lines should be paying their workers a better salary and then all the tipping wouldn't be "a major part of their compensation".  

Fine - and if they did that, fares would go up accordingly.  So, either way we pay.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

It is however, when will all the nickel and dimming stop.  Before to much longer you will be required to pay a fee to the dock workers who stand by the gangway or the ones who let go the lines.  I realize that cruise lines are business.  I am a stockholder in several and today was a very good "business day" but I am also a customer and I don't like when benefits are removed and fees are added.  So, what is a stockholder/customer suppose to do?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

See my post above this one. Room Service is completely separate from the $14.95 fee for the other delivery service. They specifically addressed that.

Soooo ---- I can still order Elite Tea w/o a fee as that can only be done on the phone?? Hope someone tries that .... 

OTOH there were 432 individual orders of hamburgers, hotdogs, and fries PER HOUR on the 5/27-6/1/23 LA voyage to ppl who kept moving causing delays of up to 12 hrs until runners were told to either just leave it in the person's room (if steward nearby) or at their door. Bet that'll stop 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Carmen and Marsha didn't phrase it the way I did, but they pointed out at least twice that there is free pizza at Slice on Lido.  Once a person asked about kid's pricing and they were referred to Lido for free.  Yup, I bet guests aren't going to be happy paying adult price for a kid.  Kids get SD for 1/2 price, as an example.

Kids 12 and under will be charged half price for the casual dining options

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Soooo ---- I can still order Elite Tea w/o a fee as that can only be done on the phone?? Hope someone tries that .... 

I posted a similar question, but rather in regards to elite mini bar set up, as like to exchange everything for water. So will I be charged $5 for the delivery of exchange. 

check your accounts throughout the sailing, as accidental charges do happen, and I can see that happening with things such as these 2 scenarios.

9 minutes ago, JGmf said:

Read: stiffing the crew.  It is what it is. Can't candy-coat or use righteous justification.

It's also known as Princess stiffing their passengers too(changing what they promised after you paid for a cruise).  Crew can get in line I guess.  

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3