Math isn't Correct on Premiere ...

gardengalaz

Hi, Everyone!

We're in the process of booking a Princess Cruise and noticed something rather troubling ... the math isn't right ...

So here's an example ...

The base room rate is $429.  

Add Plus and it's $849, a difference of $420, (which is $60 per day ... and that's correct)  BUT

Add Premiere and it's $1,058, a difference of $629 (which is $89.85 per day NOT the $80 it's supposed to be)

So either I'm missing something, or their math is wrong ...

Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 9.22.31 AM.png

• Like 1

I'm not surprised. Not a lot of quality control going on at Princess unfortunately...

The 2025 South America ones were originally $80 pp/pd for Plus when they were released....

They have since corrected them.

Always a good idea to do your own Math to make sure you are paying what you expect.

If you were thinking of cruising premier, I'd say call Princess and see if they can correct it.

You might also want to do a mock booking and see if it actually does over-charge or not....

You never know....

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, gardengalaz said:

Hi, Everyone!

We're in the process of booking a Princess Cruise and noticed something rather troubling ... the math isn't right ...

So here's an example ...

Add Plus and it's $849, a difference of $420, (which is $60 per day ... and that's correct)  BUT

Add Premiere and it's $1,058, a difference of $629 (which is $89.85 per day NOT the $80 it's supposed to be)

Yes, I agree with @dreaminofcruisinthey have been updating and loading changes and pricing for the last week.

You could book your stateroom and just do the UG afterwards.  

See if it comes up correctly, when you click the UG button.  Don’t worry, you’ll get plenty of reminders to UG. 🤣

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, gardengalaz said:

Hi, Everyone!

So here's an example ...

It's been that way in multiple cruises I've look at for the last 6 months.

Have had multiple people here argue with me that somehow, the pricing includes insurance or regional discounts (which do not exist for my region), blah blah - regardless of screenshots same as yours, etc.

Consistently, on virtually every cruise I've looked at, Plus comes up around $65-69 a day and Premier comes in around $86-89 a day instead of $60/80 a day as it's supposed to.

No idea why, I've cleared cache and cookies and history more times than I can count, it just comes up that way for most every cruise I've looked at. 

And multiple people have had the same glitch 

So, we buy standard and add the package later..  

Princess does need to get it fixed ASAP (or maybe not, as many people don't actually check the basic math)...

PS: it may actually be a glitch similar to Celebrity's site which does something similar. 

Om their site, choose a guarantee cabin and then their All-In, and it inevitably comes in much, much higher than it's supposed to, sometimes a grand more or such, as they're system, when choosing All-In, defaults to pricing as if you'd chosen your cabin specifically instead of the lower prices guarantee..  (may not be explaining it well).

I'm wondering if Princess defaults the same way with a guarantee cabin choice versus if you pay the higher Choose your own cabin price .   

Either way, they're making a small fortune off people who aren't paying that close of attention..  good for their bottom line, bad for us...

Buy the Standard and add the package later... 

• Like 2

I had Plus come up with more than $60 a day. I think for my 11 night cruise it was $714 instead of $660. I think most attributed it to increase in insurance premiums. I then purchased it on the ship where it was $660 (used OBC) and then I got a $10 credit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I had Plus come up with more than $60 a day. I think for my 11 night cruise it was $714 instead of $660. I think most attributed it to increase in insurance premiums. I then purchased it on the ship where it was $660 (used OBC) and then I got a $10 credit.

I do believe that the insurance cost goes up if you have the Plus or Premier plan. Makes me think that, in the future, I would be better off to add that in the first day - if I get it at all.

56 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I do believe that the insurance cost goes up if you have the Plus or Premier plan. Makes me think that, in the future, I would be better off to add that in the first day - if I get it at all.

Since insurance is based upon fare then if the package is included in the fare one would expect it to be higher.  Easy way to test go in and remove the insurance 

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Thats my understanding.

Trip insurance is based on the total cost of the cruise. If you don't have Princess Plus or Premium, trip insurance would be a little less and then you can add the Plus or Premium later.

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Yes, but insurance is not part of the cruise fare quote and is optionally added later.

5 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

Thats my understanding.

Trip insurance is based on the total cost of the cruise. If you don't have Princess Plus or Premium, trip insurance would be a little less and then you can add the Plus or Premium later.

This is true, but cruise fare quotes do not include the insurance.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, but insurance is not part of the cruise fare quote and is optionally added later.

Depends upon what they are referring to.  If they go through the booking process on the web site and include insurance it will be in the final total.  If they ask their TA for a quote and tell them to include insurance it will show up.  Only way to know for sure is to do both options with and without insurance.  4 different quotes are test bookings.  That should disclose if and by how much insurance changes.

If the difference shows up with insurance not selected that is greater than the expected amount of the package that would also be an indicator.

I just ran a test booking no insurance.  The differences came out exactly 60 per day and 80 per day.

When I ran the test for standard and Premier with no transfers.  The insurance remained exactly the same for both options

So the problem does not seem to be related to insurance.

Or at least not the insurance sold by Princess.

Edited by ldtr

29 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Depends upon what they are referring to.  If they go through the booking process on the web site and include insurance it will be in the final total.  If they ask their TA for a quote and tell them to include insurance it will show up.  Only way to know for sure is to do both options with and without insurance.  4 different quotes are test bookings.  That should disclose if and by how much insurance changes.

If the difference shows up with insurance not selected that is greater than the expected amount of the package that would also be an indicator.

I just ran a test booking no insurance.  The differences came out exactly 60 per day and 80 per day.

When I ran the test for standard and Premier with no transfers.  The insurance remained exactly the same for both options

So the problem does not seem to be related to insurance.

Or at least not the insurance sold by Princess.

As noted in my post, and as noted in the OPs screenshot - the pricing is before any extras, insurance, etc.  

It's literally the very first screen once you pick room type.  No insurance (and that still wouldn't account for the difference), port fees and taxes are the same whether standard or with a package, etc

It's simply wrong. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Depends upon what they are referring to.  If they go through the booking process on the web site and include insurance it will be in the final total. ....

My point was that the cruise fare quotes do not include insurance as you shop and select a cruise.  You first see the list price for the cruise and the port taxes.  Add ons come later in the prcoess. 

20 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

As noted in my post, and as noted in the OPs screenshot - the pricing is before any extras, insurance, etc.  

It's literally the very first screen once you pick room type.  No insurance (and that still wouldn't account for the difference), port fees and taxes are the same whether standard or with a package, etc

It's simply wrong. 

I'd have to look into your specific voyage example and have not.  But recall this similar situation from some other thread.

It could be that the Standard fare displayed is the typical lead-in category with GTY only cabins and Non-Ref Deposit.  Moving to Plus or Premier may involve both a slightly higher Category with Ref Deposit.  So, the lowest cabin price shown in the display of three options may not be same Category for all.  If you were to find the Standard price for the Category displayed for Plus/Premier, you might find that the actual cost for the packages is the expected $60/$80.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I'd have to look into your specific voyage example and have not.  But recall this similar situation from some other thread.

It could be that the Standard fare displayed is the typical lead-in category with GTY only cabins and Non-Ref Deposit.  Moving to Plus or Premier may involve both a slightly higher Category with Ref Deposit.  So, the lowest cabin price shown in the display of three options may not be same Category for all.  If you were to find the Standard price for the Category displayed for Plus/Premier, you might find that the actual cost for the packages is the expected $60/$80.

I don’t know if this is the case, but it seems plausible. 

19 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, that's what I essentially described in my first comment above, although not so clearly..

It's apparently doing the same thing as Celebrity does with their lead in guarantee Ms but then defaults to the higher cost cabins when the add-on package is added on, ie Plus or Premier on Princess or All-In on Celebrity.

It's frustrating, to say the least.

Fortunately, for myself anyways, I pay close enough attention that I no longer even price out Plus or Premier when booking, I add it later..

My Interpretation Based On Actual Calculation sometime ago:

The difference between the add-on for Plus/Premiere over Standard is because the Standard Price was lowered after the "original" Launch Price for  Standard. The prices for Plus / Premiere based on the original Standard  prices were NOT reduced.

Edited by sultan_sfo