Ruby or Grand to Hawaii? Help me choose please.

breezer

I haven't cruised with Princess for several years, but I am considering  Ruby and Grand to Hawaii for an anniversary cruise next year.  Both are 16 nights, both leave and return on the same dates, and both stop at the same ports and have the same number of sea days.  Only difference is Ruby is roundtrip from San Francisco, and Grand is roundtrip from Los Angeles.  Right now the cruise rate for Grand is a couple hundred dollars more per person.    

I’m a huge fan of Ruby.  My favorite Princess ship (four cruises on her).  I did the Grand to Alaska out of San Francisco in 2016.  It was a good trip but there wasn’t a center stairwell above Deck 7 (so only 4-7).  It completely messed up my plans as I always stay on Emerald (Deck 8 ) so I can use the stairs to the 5-7 public areas.  It’s exercise.  This meant the midship elevators were always busy too. I hated it.  There was a thread last year about it.

Ruby was refurbished the end of 2018 and Grand in early 2019 so both may be a little tired.  Grand was built in 1998 and was the worlds largest cruise ship when launched.  Ruby was launched ten years later in 2008.  Ruby has a Salty Dog Gastropub that Grand doesn’t.  Grand does have an Alfredo’s Pizza that Ruby doesn’t (good pizza).  The big difference is capacity.  Ruby has an extra deck.  

All in all I’d easily book another cruise on Ruby.  It would have to be a really good deal for me to do the Grand again.  The missing center staircase was a big deal, but that’s just me.

(South Carolina?  I live in Palm Springs, CA now but moved here three years ago from Greenville).

Edited by Westsail32

I actually like the Grand better. 500 less passengers and it has a pizzeria (that used to be free). It also has a covered pool.

I was on the ship last on Christmas 2021 and it had amazing crew and was in good shape IMO.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Westsail32 said:

I’m a huge fan of Ruby.  My favorite Princess ship (four cruises on her).  I did the Grand to Alaska out of San Francisco in 2016.  It was a good trip but there wasn’t a center stairwell above Deck 7 (so only 4-7).  It completely messed up my plans as I always stay on Emerald (Deck 8 ) so I can use the stairs to the 5-7 public areas.  It’s exercise.  This meant the midship elevators were always busy too. I hated it.  There was a thread last year about it.

Ruby was refurbished the end of 2018 and Grand in early 2019 so both may be a little tired.  Grand was built in 1998 and was the worlds largest cruise ship when launched.  Ruby was launched ten years later in 2008.  Ruby has a Salty Dog Gastropub that Grand doesn’t.  Grand does have an Alfredo’s Pizza that Ruby doesn’t (good pizza).  The big difference is capacity.  Ruby has an extra deck.  

All in all I’d easily book another cruise on Ruby.  It would have to be a really good deal for me to do the Grand again.  The missing center staircase was a big deal, but that’s just me.

(South Carolina?  I live in Palm Springs, CA now but moved here three years ago from Greenville).

Thanks for responding.

Wow, Greenville...I'm just down the street in Simpsonville.

49 minutes ago, Coral said:

I actually like the Grand better. 500 less passengers and it has a pizzeria (that used to be free). It also has a covered pool.

I was on the ship last on Christmas 2021 and it had amazing crew and was in good shape IMO.

Thanks so much for your quick response.

• Like 1

Would you like to spend a few days before or after cruise touring around SF or LA?  What about cost to fly from where you are and convenience of transfer to the port in question? 

If all are pretty equal, then these little issues might help your decision. 

The Ruby has the advantage of Skywalker lounge and Adagio as great places to hang out on sea days. Unless you plan to use the indoor pool on the Grand or book a window suite, I would give the nod to Ruby.

• Like 2

I'd choose the ship with ELUA.  They are the Hawaiian Ambassadors.  Unfortunately, I don't think their schedule is out yet.  Maybe @Elua could chime in.

For me, it's the Grand Princess since she is the smaller of the two.  I don't miss Skywalkers.  Will miss eating at Alfredo's if I have to pay for my pizza.  Never missed the central staircase.

• Like 4

We’ve cruised many times on each of those two ships and my choice would be the Ruby, hands down!  
The Grand is ok, the Ruby is just so much nicer IMO.  She is a little newer than the Grand so has a couple more venues to enjoy. 

The major drawback to the Grand is the lack of the center stairwell for passenger use.  It causes such crowds / bottlenecks in front of the photo area.  
The other factor in choosing is whether or not you want to visit any other sites in LA vs San Francisco.  SF wins out there .. the pier is right in the downtown area.  It’s pricey but there are so many places to go within walking distance and there is great public transportation, too.  

As mentioned by another poster, we try to select the cruise where the Hawaiian Ambassaors on board are Leialoha and Tiki Dave (Elua).  They are very entertaining throughout the cruise.

Elua posts their schedule online.  You should be able to find it here on CC or with a Google search.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Napagirl said:

I didn't see a huge difference between the two ships. But sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge and the surrounding scenery is spectacular! 

Agree, I love sailing under bridges.  But that's just the beginning.  You will have 10 sea days.  The Hawaiian Cultural Ambassadors will make all the difference in the world.  

Currently there are three pairs and an odd duck.  I won't compare the three sets but have cruised with two.  Everyone has their favorites.  It's being immersed into Hawaiiana that makes Princess stand out above the rest of the cruise lines.  

ELUA (Tiki Dave and Leialoha)

Tui and Maile

Rowena and Brian

• Like 2

On 8/8/2023 at 5:20 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Agree, I love sailing under bridges.  But that's just the beginning.  You will have 10 sea days.  The Hawaiian Cultural Ambassadors will make all the difference in the world.  

Currently there are three pairs and an odd duck.  I won't compare the three sets but have cruised with two.  Everyone has their favorites.  It's being immersed into Hawaiiana that makes Princess stand out above the rest of the cruise lines.  

ELUA (Tiki Dave and Leialoha)

Tui and Maile

Rowena and Brian

Hoping all is well with you ❤️

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2023 at 11:58 AM, Westsail32 said:

The Ruby is about to go into a dry dock in Portland next month. I do like both ships but for some reason always end up on the Ruby

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

The Ruby is about to go into a dry dock in Portland next month. I do like both ships but for some reason always end up on the Ruby

That's because Princess is keeping the Grand away from the West Coast.  If she were homeported in SF or LA, you'd be booking her frequently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

@memoakCan you tell me what is source for dry dock dates, please?

🤔

Ruby was in dry dock in 2022 before going to Galveston, Texas.

Edited by that

On 8/6/2023 at 11:30 AM, breezer said:

I haven't cruised with Princess for several years, but I am considering  Ruby and Grand to Hawaii for an anniversary cruise next year.  Both are 16 nights, both leave and return on the same dates, and both stop at the same ports and have the same number of sea days.  Only difference is Ruby is roundtrip from San Francisco, and Grand is roundtrip from Los Angeles.  Right now the cruise rate for Grand is a couple hundred dollars more per person.    

That's up to you

• 1 month later...

OMG   go with the Grand!!! The tvs on the Grand accept the Amazon Fire Stick. The grand is the right size ship. We took this ship twice in a row in 2022. and we made so many friends with the crew who we still stay in touch with. Go Grand or don't go at all... Why not the Ruby? Because came down with the CCP Virus after leaving that ship on a cruise to Alaska in the fall of 2022.

• Like 1

We're in the same boat...so to speak. Torn between two cruise ships (almost sounds like an oldies song). They sound similar, but yet different.

Our other dilemma is deciding if it's worth it to spend all those sea days just to get to Hawaii for only four days and turn around and head back. Not that we're against sea days...we've done a TA and enjoyed it. It's just that we've never been to Hawaii...and while it would be nice to see it, we're not sure that four days is enough.

I know that NCL has a cruise that goes to several islands during a week-long cruise, but we really aren't into flying nine hours each way with only a week between flights.. Plus, the NCL ship doesn't get the best ratings...even though we're Platinum on NCL. Besides, we'd like to try Princess, especially since I would get the Veteran's OBC.

Decisions, decisions.

Edited by schmoopie17