Does Celebrity dock in Genoa or Portofino?

Stockjock

We booked Ascent for next year.  They show to be docking in Portofino.

We visited Portofino on MSC a few years ago and it docked in Genoa and offered tours to Portofino.  But Ascent shows to be docking in Portofino.  Usually, when they dock in another city, it will look something like this Florence/Pisa (La Spezia) or Rome (Civitavecchia), but in this case it only shows Portofino.

What's throwing me off is that Portofino is a very small place, and it doesn't seem suited to having a large cruise ship dock there.  Anyone know?

IMG_0564.jpg

Edited by Stockjock

12 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

What's throwing me off is that Portofino is a very small place, and it doesn't seem suited to having a large cruise ship dock there.  Anyone know?

We just returned home from a B2B on Edge.  We tendered into Portofino on both cruises.  It is a pretty small place.  But, they have a lot of excursions going other places.  😊

Edited by Texed
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Texed said:

We just returned home from a B2B on Edge.  We tendered into Portofino on both cruises.  It is a pretty small place.  But, they have a lot of excursions going other places.  😊

I saw that, but Portofino, while small, is a cute place, in and of itself, just to hang out.  And once you tender in, you're in the middle of it.

While I'm not positive,  I believe the will be be going direct to Portofino.   My belief is based on the fact that it is listed as a tender port.    When I stopped in Genoa with Celebrity he ship docked and didn't tender.   MSC may have stopped in Genoa because they have a terminal there.

The second reason I believe it to be Portofino is that even on you posted itinerary both Florence/Pisa and Rome have the actual port in parentheses.   That has been the protocol on Celebrity when not docking at the major city listed.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stockjock said:

We visited Portofino on MSC a few years ago and it docked in Genoa and offered tours to Portofino.  But Ascent shows to be docking in Portofino.  Usually, when they dock in another city, it will look something like this Florence/Pisa (La Spezia) or Rome (Civitavecchia), but in this case it only shows Portofino.

IMG_0564.jpg

It clearly says tendered not docked.

• Thanks 1

For anyone who hasn't been to Portofino and cares, it's pretty and quaint, but tiny.  Much smaller than what I had presumed it to be.

We'll have a day there, as mentioned, and I'm trying to figure out whether to just spend some time in Portofino, or do a tour, perhaps getting us slightly out of town and back.  Leaning towards hanging out there, but again, it's surprisingly tiny.

4 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Where did you get the idea that the ship is docking there? The screenshot you provided says it is a tender port.

Posted the question before I saw the screenshot.  But...the dock area I visited seemed too small to accommodate a cruise ship's tender boats, so perhaps they tender at a different area.

1 minute ago, Stockjock said:

Still a tight area, but as long as it works, and obviously it must work.

One tender at a time, it’s indeed a crowded place with expensive yachts docked (the mega yachts anchor outside) all around, it actually is a marina you sail into. :classic_smile:

One nice thing about tendering outside of Portofino is that one would actually have some time to check out the place if they wished to, which once again, is quite tiny.  When I did MSC's tour by boat from Genoa, I believe the boat ride to Portofino was approximately 3 hours roundtrip, if memory serves.  That left very little time to explore Portofino.

• Like 1