Is the quality still with O or has it also been hit with the penny pinching of other cruise lines?

chromered7

@lj77346

Ditto, I think some portion sizes have shrunk a bit but there is still far more food than I should be eating at any seating. We did master the Medium Rare Filet in Polo, I explain to the Waiter with two fingers about 2” apart that this  is the thickness of the steak they should bring me. In that way, I eat the meat that is perfect and leave the too well or too rare portion and smile because my Cardiologist should be proud of me for limiting my “Red” meat consumption.
You are right, I or We are now that persons who are older and I do not appreciate the brashness of some of the “kids” aka 40year olds, who have not learned to respect their elders.  We are in the same boat with you. In fact now and then we try to take a 40 or 50 something child along with us so they see we are doing “just fine” spending their inheritance in an appropriate fashion. Besides, Inheritance is defined as what is left after we are done. 🤪🤞P.S. and we are not done yet😇👍❤️🛳️🍷🛫
ENJOY,

Mauibabes

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, SATaxman said:

Booked our first O cruise this Fall. Looking forward to the bread service at Toscana. We are mostly no carb people; exceptions for great bread. Hopefully it is better than Olive Garden, where we have never eaten!

We also restrict carbs in our daily life, but the anything goes when on Oceania. The bread baskets at dinner are evilly yummy, and desserts...all day every day! On my last 7-day Alaska cruise, I was a glutton and "gained" 4 pounds that was gone in less than a week of healthy eating (so likely "bread bloat"). Win!

For the OP, I can't compare before and after since our first cruise ever was Dec 2021 on O. We've been on 3 O cruises post-pandemic and have thoroughly enjoyed them all. Initially I was slightly disappointed in the food until I realized (as mentioned earlier) that this is mass-catering at sea, not my local, chef-run, small restaurant. My spouse has food restrictions and we both find more than enough tasty food to make us happy. The minor disappointments are things like a bit of gristle in my lamb curry and not being able to convince Red Ginger staff that they can indeed add more chilis to our "hot" dishes.

5 hours ago, Harters said:

I've eaten at an OG fairly often on trips to the States over the years and can confirm that it is much better. The bread selection offered throughout Nautica was an absolute standout

After experiencing an excellent bread basket on Viking, we're really looking forward to the one on the Riviera! Hoping it exceeds.

5 hours ago, DOJO466 said:

OMG, can't control myself with the baguettes. I would eat them over dessert.

If there is just 2 of us I have to ask them to remove the bread basket  or will not have room for anything else 

YUMMM

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

The minor disappointments are things like a bit of gristle in my lamb curry and not being able to convince Red Ginger staff that they can indeed add more chilis to our "hot" dishes.

I have snatched success from the jaws of defeat by asking for chili paste ( including my ice cream lol). But seriously, a bit of over-explaining while ordering often-not-always helps. 

Had to chuckle about your gristle comment. Gristle should not be there, and yet I rather enjoy it and recall Athenaeus's advice that it is rude to rejoice in gristle... I concede that my tolerance for gristle is.... 'unusual'

So many comments about the hard-to-get Medium Rare. Is it better to order Rare and hope for Medium Rare, rather than end up with Medium or Medium Well and have to send it back? Has anyone ordered Rare and had it arrive actually too rare?

5 hours ago, babysteps said:

I have snatched success from the jaws of defeat by asking for chili paste ( including my ice cream lol). But seriously, a bit of over-explaining while ordering often-not-always helps.

I know others have had luck. I have only been to RG twice. The second time I really emphasized that I enjoy tears in my eyes...no luck, barely any chili. RG is our favorite so I'm willing to give it another try 😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kreastman said:

So many comments about the hard-to-get Medium Rare. Is it better to order Rare and hope for Medium Rare, rather than end up with Medium or Medium Well and have to send it back? Has anyone ordered Rare and had it arrive actually too rare?

I most always use that approach. I have never gotten rare and only occasionally even MR. 

I believe what Oceania receives for most of its steaks and chops ( not all) is the same as most chain restaurants. Pre cut, pre individually wrapped, and partially cooked for fast kitchen turn around with minimal labor. This makes medium rare nearly impossible on most cuts by the time it is further warmed.

8 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

I know others have had luck. I have only been to RG twice. The second time I really emphasized that I enjoy tears in my eyes...no luck, barely any chili. RG is our favorite so I'm willing to give it another try 😉

Well I must have gotten you  dish last cruise

No tears  but no feeling in my mouth

I could not tell if my tea was even hot but DH assured me it was piping hot

so the  curry must have been super  spiced

Maybe just keep asking for super spicy I know they  can do it 😲

• Haha 2

One of the reasons (main is the itinerary) we are traveling on Oceania for the first time is the repeated discussions that their food is better than others in the segment. Whether it is true or not I guess we will find out. We won’t have a yardstick to compare with. We sailed with Viking multiple times pre Covid, and their food was pretty good. We were happy with it. We sailed Seabourn this year and found their food definitely a step up from Viking. We were impressed with most meals. I guess that will be our yardstick as I would not think to compare ship cuisine against small, land based, high end restaurants. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

One of the reasons (main is the itinerary) we are traveling on Oceania for the first time is the repeated discussions that their food is better than others in the segment. Whether it is true or not I guess we will find out. We won’t have a yardstick to compare with. We sailed with Viking multiple times pre Covid, and their food was pretty good. We were happy with it. We sailed Seabourn this year and found their food definitely a step up from Viking. We were impressed with most meals. I guess that will be our yardstick as I would not think to compare ship cuisine against small, land based, high end restaurants. 

Just lower your expectations  & do not buy into the  TM phrase   "Finest  Cuisine at Sea"  & you might enjoy what O has to offer

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

I will be interested in what you think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Same reasons for us. We found many of our meals on Viking surprisingly good, especially for me: as a vegetarian, there was always something special in the Chef's Table. After seeing some reviews and menus on O, I'm hoping for the best.

Can't compare with Seabourn; maybe that's next.

Cuisine on Oceania might not be Michelin level, but it's still better than 80% of the restaurants in Toronto. But people like to complaint. Don't pay too much attention to negative reviews. The only opinion that matters is yours. personally, I still find O food the best at sea, better than SS and the old Crystal.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I most always use that approach. I have never gotten rare and only occasionally even MR. 

I believe what Oceania receives for most of its steaks and chops ( not all) is the same as most chain restaurants. Pre cut, pre individually wrapped, and partially cooked for fast kitchen turn around with minimal labor. This makes medium rare nearly impossible on most cuts by the time it is further warmed.

If this were true, then how is it I have no problem getting medium rare in my chain restaurants?

50 minutes ago, opa&oma said:

If this were true, then how is it I have no problem getting medium rare in my chain restaurants?

Depends upon the chain and source.

There is a standard among high end restaurants, definition wise, on the definition of rare, mr, medium, etc. Not picking on the chains, but many present MR as what is definitely medium by standard definition. In that Oma is German for Grandma, and having lived there for several years,  many of the German restaurants used their own definition of doneness, not the international standards. 

8 hours ago, pinotlover said:

not the international standards. 

I didn't know there was an international standard. But I know that, generally speaking, when I'm in Spain I need to ask for it to be medium, to get medium rare. 

Expectations of steaks on any ship need to be moderated, regardless of the cut or quality. There is only so much they can get from an electric stove vs open flame or gas. It sounds like they are cooking them too long as a trade-off to get a decent searing on the outside.

Its the same reason things like an asian style stir fry cooked at home with all the correct ingredients and equipment will never fully replicate the taste you know from a restaurant with a 150,000 BTU burner.

Edited by Robson1
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Depends upon the chain and source.

There is a standard among high end restaurants, definition wise, on the definition of rare, mr, medium, etc. Not picking on the chains, but many present MR as what is definitely medium by standard definition. In that Oma is German for Grandma, and having lived there for several years,  many of the German restaurants used their own definition of doneness, not the international standards. 

No, I am not German and I know what medium rare is.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 5:05 AM, jonthomas said:

We were on the insignia pre covid. It was so amazing that we gave up being elite plus with celeb to sail O only.

Since then, have done a marina TA and a Carib on the Riviera in January. Not as amazing (food), but better than anything anywhere else. I say that after being on a Viking Ocean in March.

We will be on a back to back in Sept on the Regatta,  I will post when we return.

We're almost Elite on Celebrity.  I don't think that will get us anything useful.  We have 3 cruises still booked on Celebrity( Mexican Rivera in October, GBR in Feb( such a great price when we booked) and Caribbean next September.  We also have 2 O cruises booked.  This Sept for Bermuda and next April( Caribbean).  We'll book based on price/itinerary.   I eat organic 90 percent of the time and I like high quality proteins( pasture raised eggs, chicken) so I don't really cruise for the cuisine. 

• Like 1

I used to like oceania but their service has gone down to the point that we refuse to sail with them again. With that being said, it caused us to look at other options so after 2 cruises with Azamara and 1 with Regent I will say Regent is great but pricier but with many more perks. Azamara is also amazing they only have r size ships but drinks and gratuities are included as are an amazing Azamara evening. Crew is extremely friendly from the captain on down. Also they seemed to be more affordable with no loss of quality. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have looked at Azamara. For us that requires an upgraded cabin as it would with small O ships. I know this isn’t true for all pax but would be our choice. Quite honestly, Azamara Evenings isn’t a draw for us, but again, personal perspective. 

Regarding Viking food vs Oceania, I cannot compare. But Viking food/cuisine compared to Seabourn and I can. SB is superior. How is the food on Azamara vs Oceania?