New dress code on the Silver Nova!!

A Tucson Guy

1 minute ago, canderson said:

If you were depending on its headlights to see your plate, that might have been an issue as well.

Lucas - Prince of Darkness, and all that...

Strangely, that was the one part of that car that never gave me trouble.  The car was drivable every day I owned it.  That being said, there was never a day in which something didn't need fixing...  And yet, the romance of that car still calls out to me, while the new [and presumably reliable] Chinese MGs have zero appeal.

7 minutes ago, canderson said:

Don't forget "pearl clutchers".

Why does the invective seem to come only from one side of the aisle in these discussions?  Please lighten up.

From a personal viewpoint, the invective has been felt very strongly the other way too...

• Thanks 1

Just now, canderson said:

Examples, please, that we might do better.  I don't think I've done any name calling.  Not our style.

I don't remember anything from you.  But there was enough from others that I swore off the entire Silversea forum for a while [until the news reports about the Nova dress code changes gave me hope]

• Like 2

My impression while on board the Spirit was that most guests are not sailing on SS because of the dress code, but despite of it. My wife doesn't like to dress, she dressed relatively casual (no evening gown or cocktail dress, just nice pantsuit), and most ladies were the same. She did not feel underdressed in any way. Very few men were wearing a tux, many didn't have a tie even on formal nights, and a lot of men got rid of the jacket the moment they reached the table at dinner. It was pretty obvious that the majority of men is wearing a jacket just because they are forced to.

Times are changing. Relaxation of the dress code is inevitable, it's just matter of time, the sooner the better.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

As most of you know, the dress codes, whatever they are. affect men a lot more than women. It is the guys that may or not have to wear a tie or a jacket and not the ladies. Since we don't always know what gender is responding, maybe a hint would help. Ladies are essentially excluded from the problem as they can almost wear almost anything and still fit in on the dress codes. I'm a guy and I would rather not wear a tie but I am OK with a jacket some nights unless the restaurant is warm and then the jacket comes right off. If a lady says ties should be worn, that is different that a guy stating that. One gender is committed and the other is observing.

I’m female and 100% agree with you. Ties can look really ‘stuffy’ on some men. There’s some beautiful shirts available these days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, AusMum said:

I’m female and 100% agree with you. Ties can look really ‘stuffy’ on some men. There’s some beautiful shirts available these days.

I love a nice Armani dress shirt. It goes great with an Armani sports coat!!

• Like 3

On 8/14/2023 at 11:48 AM, jjs217 said:

Oh - you are right.  It is Bucees.  My husband and I were driving cross country through Texas, and that was my only experience.  I saw the buck teeth and just thought it was Buckees.  

I drove down the east coast of Florida on I-95 on Sunday, and there are two Bucees.  I haven't stopped at either yet, because I figure I won't get out of there in less than 45 minutes.

• Haha 1

Every time I go to post here, I think better of it, edit the post and back away...😂

Sincerely hope that the new dress code announcement for Silver Nova has alleviated the concerns expressed by those who felt the existing dress code would "relegate them to the kid's table" or "force them to eat in their cabin" and everyone will have a marvelous time onboard.  

Edited by Dolcevita Diva
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, ak1004 said:

My impression while on board the Spirit was that most guests are not sailing on SS because of the dress code, but despite of it.

Yeah that's me, I decided that modest adjustments (take a jacket which I would anyway, buy some inexpensive black slacks, and take a tie) would prevent me from being an unreasonable outlier. (In terms of why I liked Silversea: (1) all-inclusive (2) not too may people (3) luxury-ish experience and (4) ports.)

Some of the comments read like: there are some who are really looking for a place that they can strut their tuxedos and feel that this is normal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Every time I go to post here, I think better of it, edit the post and back away...😂

I did that a few times too!

I believe in dressing for comfort, but the comfort I am talking about is this:  I am never comfortable if the person waiting on me is dressed better than I am.  So, an evening of wearing control-top pantyhose is a small price to pay to really enjoy my dining experience.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, dawntrdr said:

I did that a few times too!

I believe in dressing for comfort, but the comfort I am talking about is this:  I am never comfortable if the person waiting on me is dressed better than I am.  So, an evening of wearing control-top pantyhose is a small price to pay to really enjoy my dining experience.

Then you wouldn't like the Mozart Tea on Crystal!  🤣

• Haha 2

I will go buy a dark jacket to go along with slacks and shirt before the cruise but no suit and tie. Hopefully that will allow me to be inside on formal night. 

If I was in charge but realize I am not and I might not have many passengers but formal night would be shorts, t shirt and ball cap.

10 hours ago, Brad1185 said:

I will go buy a dark jacket to go along with slacks and shirt before the cruise but no suit and tie. Hopefully that will allow me to be inside on formal night. 

If I was in charge but realize I am not and I might not have many passengers but formal night would be shorts, t shirt and ball cap.

No need to be dark. A simple sport coat is just fine for the one or two nights a jacket is required.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brad1185 said:

Thanks for the info on the jacket. 

Not sure how long your cruise is but you likely have one or two night that you have to wear a jacket and no tie. You can fully align to the casual elegance dress code and add a simple sport coat to meet the requirement. 

Have fun, meet the basic requirements and spend your extra money on a fabulous excursion or experience at SALT.

I am sure I’ll get some eye rolls but Eddie Bauer (US brand) has a great Men’s blazer - I believe it is called the Travelers Blazer and it’s amazing. My husband wears one on the plane, it packs well, light weight etc. check it out. 

enjoy

1 hour ago, tinaincc said:

Not sure how long your cruise is but you likely have one or two night that you have to wear a jacket and no tie. You can fully align to the casual elegance dress code and add a simple sport coat to meet the requirement. 

Have fun, meet the basic requirements and spend your extra money on a fabulous excursion or experience at SALT.

I am sure I’ll get some eye rolls but Eddie Bauer (US brand) has a great Men’s blazer - I believe it is called the Travelers Blazer and it’s amazing. My husband wears one on the plane, it packs well, light weight etc. check it out. 

enjoy

The cruise is 14 days Tokyo to Tokyo next October. I will check out the Eddie Bauer blazer. I really like their products. Appreciate the info 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cosmomartini said:

My husband wears the Eddie Bauer Travel Blazer.  He loves it.  Has pockets on the inside also and is machine washable.  Has taken it on many trips.  

Does it look dressy?

28 minutes ago, seaver said:

Does it look dressy?

My Husband owns one in navy so I would not say dressy but more of a sport coat - can be dressed up or down depending on what is worn underneath.

It worked as a “jacket” on Crystal.

Edited by tinaincc
Content