New dress code on the Silver Nova!!

A Tucson Guy

I am also booked on the Nova's Christmas cruise. The only thing that upsets me about the change is that I had already bought a suit just because of the old dress code. Now I find out that my old sports coat would have sufficed.

22 minutes ago, cjbx said:

I am also booked on the Nova's Christmas cruise. The only thing that upsets me about the change is that I had already bought a suit just because of the old dress code. Now I find out that my old sports coat would have sufficed.

You can of course still wear the suit if you want to look even sharper than with just an "old sports coat" 🙂 , and keep Mr. Luxury et al company. But unless  you might use the suit for other activities (Cunard sailing, a rare land restaurant with a suit requirement, bar mitzvah, wedding, funeral, etc.), if you're  in a high tax bracket, you could donate your new suit to an appropriate charity and take the IRS-approved deduction.  Or sell it on ebay! 

1 hour ago, cjbx said:

Well you have it ready in case you need to get buried in it.

Unless you were already planning to use your Grateful Dead t shirt.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, cjbx said:

See if your travel insurance covers this!

• Haha 3

On 8/17/2023 at 7:07 PM, tinaincc said:

Not sure how long your cruise is but you likely have one or two night that you have to wear a jacket and no tie. You can fully align to the casual elegance dress code and add a simple sport coat to meet the requirement. 

Have fun, meet the basic requirements and spend your extra money on a fabulous excursion or experience at SALT.

I am sure I’ll get some eye rolls but Eddie Bauer (US brand) has a great Men’s blazer - I believe it is called the Travelers Blazer and it’s amazing. My husband wears one on the plane, it packs well, light weight etc. check it out. 

enjoy

Let the eyes roll, if you are happy that is all that matters.

• Like 1

As a scrubby guy who dresses like garbage, even I have no problems putting on a Brooks Brothers President blazer or something like that for dinner.  A tie is also not a problem.  With that said, if you have a mix of old and new customers I think it’s a bit of a problem.

I don’t like going into a nice restaurant with people who are clearly underdressed for it.  I also don’t understand how they’re comfortable being underdressed.  There’s a social contract in places like that and they’re not living up to it.

So if you go on Cunard, you know what the dress code is and if you don’t like it then don’t book it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Codecow said:

As a scrubby guy who dresses like garbage, even I have no problems putting on a Brooks Brothers President blazer or something like that for dinner.  A tie is also not a problem.  With that said, if you have a mix of old and new customers I think it’s a bit of a problem.

I don’t like going into a nice restaurant with people who are clearly underdressed for it.  I also don’t understand how they’re comfortable being underdressed.  There’s a social contract in places like that and they’re not living up to it.

So if you go on Cunard, you know what the dress code is and if you don’t like it then don’t book it.

Don’t plan on Cunard, thanks. I am booked on Ray (sister ship to the Nova) and more than happy with the dress code as it stands today. It allows you to wear your tie and enjoy yourself while my Husband can be in a sport coat and be happy as well.

We will be enjoying every minute of the trip and not concerned one iota with your tie selection. If you are so concerned with others you may want to stick with Cunard or one of the other more formal SS ships. 

43 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

Don’t plan on Cunard, thanks. I am booked on Ray (sister ship to the Nova) and more than happy with the dress code as it stands today. It allows you to wear your tie and enjoy yourself while my Husband can be in a sport coat and be happy as well.

We will be enjoying every minute of the trip and not concerned one iota with your tie selection. If you are so concerned with others you may want to stick with Cunard or one of the other more formal SS ships. 

I’m not.  I don’t mind wearing what everyone else is; so if they change the rules that’s the rules and it’s fine with me.

I’m just saying if they’re selling dressing up as part of the “experience” then I want that experience.

If they’re not selling it, they’re not selling it and that’s also fine.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Codecow said:

Is the right answer.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, tinaincc said:

Based on the list of voyages in your signature, am I correct in understanding that you've never even sailed with Silversea (or Seabourn or Cunard or Regent) yet?

Edited by Dolcevita Diva

I haven’t sailed Silversea yet.  Planning on booking Alaska with them as soon as we can fit it in.  We have a Viking ocean and a Viking River booked in 24 and 25.

I always bring at least one nice sport coat and a shirt that looks good with a tie, even for casual lines.  You never know if you’re going to get invited to something where you need better dress.  We usually bring one large suitcase with a garmet bag and have to check it, but with that I can fit a couple jackets and some decent shirts.

• Like 1

I was at a restaurant in Palm Beach recently and I noticed a little stack of cards entitled "Our Attire Standards" which were at the front of the restaurant.  I took one.  I thought it was interesting.

"Our attire standards benefit everyone because clothing can elevate or diminish the experience of the room.  Hats, tank tops, flip flops, and team athletic attire are not suitable for the dining experience we seek to provide.  Our staff takes pride in their appearance and we appreciate your respecting our guidelines."

The new dress code is the new dress code.  If black tie is no longer required, then it is no longer required.  But that doesn't mean that permission has been given to be slovenly.  It has merely lowered the bar as to what is acceptable; and the same people who tried to get away with wearing a turtleneck and sport coat on formal night will probably be the ones pushing the limitations of the new dress code as well.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

I was at a restaurant in Palm Beach recently and I noticed a little stack of cards entitled "Our Attire Standards" which were at the front of the restaurant.  I took one.  I thought it was interesting.

"Our attire standards benefit everyone because clothing can elevate or diminish the experience of the room."

Am always surprised at how many believe that the concept of 'the experience' extends no further than their immediate table, and should not for others, even though it does.  Kudos to this restaurant that appreciates that difference and makes their intentions clear.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

Am always surprised at how many believe that the concept of 'the experience' extends no further than their immediate table, and should not for others, even though it does.  Kudos to this restaurant that appreciates that difference and makes their intentions clear.

Kind of like being at a sporting event, and seeing much of the crowd in your team's colors? It's a shared event, even if you never speak to any of those folks. 

Heck, even seeing people in the opposing team's colors contributes to the experience. It is a competition, and you can't have one of those without an opponent. 

Thanks for this. I tend not to consciously care what others are wearing, but your comment made me realize that maybe I subconsciously do. 

8 minutes ago, canderson said:

I think we would all agree that if someone at another table was olfactorily offensive (i.e., the guy at the next table over smells), that impacts our experience.

If someone at another table was audibly offensive (either talking too loud, or cursing, or being rude), that impacts our experience.

Why wouldn't we admit that someone can visually impact our experience as well?

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

I wasn't referring to any particular person.

Are you saying that you tried to wear turtlenecks and sport coats on formal nights?  I don't know if you did or didn't.  But I suppose, if you did, then yeah, I guess I'm judging you.

Actually, I don't think that Host Jazzbeau has sailed on Silversea yet.   So not sure how anything you said could possibly be interpreted as judging him.

Edited by Dolcevita Diva
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

It's a shared event ...

... Thanks for this. I tend not to consciously care what others are wearing, but your comment made me realize that maybe I subconsciously do. 

That ... right there.  Excellent point, and it goes to the heart of what I believe @Codecow was getting at with the use of the expression "social contract", too.

Ambience, or what that restaurant in Palm Springs called "the dining experience" is indeed very often a subconscious thing.  Apart from those who consciously judge every aspect, I think most of us unconsciously take in all of the aspects of our surroundings, each element playing its own part, and they are summed to define what each of us senses as the ambience of any particular venue. 

This is much of what differentiates cruise experiences in general.  Each of us also may have certain aspects of ambience come to the fore and become very conscious elements of 'ambience'.  I'll never forget realizing just how different it felt to cruise on a line that was yapping on the PA all day to tell me what a great time I was having and where that next 'can't miss' event was being held ... vs. a line that never did this sort of thing.  It changes the whole 'vibe' of the cruise experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Based on the list of voyages in your signature, am I correct in understanding that you've never even sailed with Silversea (or Seabourn or Cunard or Regent) yet?

Correct. Excitedly awaiting our trip on the Ray in June.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

"Our attire standards benefit everyone because clothing can elevate or diminish the experience of the room.  Hats, tank tops, flip flops, and team athletic attire are not suitable for the dining experience we seek to provide.  Our staff takes pride in their appearance and we appreciate your respecting our guidelines."

The new dress code is the new dress code.  If black tie is no longer required, then it is no longer required.  But that doesn't mean that permission has been given to be slovenly.  It has merely lowered the bar as to what is acceptable; and the same people who tried to get away with wearing a turtleneck and sport coat on formal night will probably be the ones pushing the limitations of the new dress code as well.

2 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

This is exactly what SS is doing - setting a standard, albeit a modified one on Nova but a standard nonetheless. Why do you assume someone will “test the limits” ? Did you see people doing so at the Palm Beach restaurant you mentioned?

I don’t understand how this new dress code is going to bring on mayhem?

Here’s an example of a “shared experience” dining I had as recently as last weekend.  My wife wanted something nice so we went to a nearby Michelin star place.  We wanted to sit inside, so we dressed appropriately for that restaurant although I have to say the shirt I picked for it was maybe slightly loud, I checked with her first.

Anyway we get in and they seat us next to a few other tables and I notice it’s real quiet.  I said something to my wife and it sounded like my voice was booming in the restaurant, so I kept trying to talk more quietly because I felt my dumb loud voice would be annoying for other guests.

I wouldn’t want to listen to other people’s conversations so they probably don’t want to listen to mine.

So my choices do extend past my table.

33 minutes ago, Codecow said:

Here’s an example of a “shared experience” dining I had as recently as last weekend.  My wife wanted something nice so we went to a nearby Michelin star place.  We wanted to sit inside, so we dressed appropriately for that restaurant although I have to say the shirt I picked for it was maybe slightly loud, I checked with her first.

Anyway we get in and they seat us next to a few other tables and I notice it’s real quiet.  I said something to my wife and it sounded like my voice was booming in the restaurant, so I kept trying to talk more quietly because I felt my dumb loud voice would be annoying for other guests.

I wouldn’t want to listen to other people’s conversations so they probably don’t want to listen to mine.

So my choices do extend past my table.

Not a good analogy at all.

If someone talks loud, you have no choice but to hear him.

If someone doesn't wear a jacket, you have a choice not to look at him.

And the dinner still tastes the same.

What a complete waste of time and energy.. Do people really have that much spare time to discuss if others are wearing a jacket or not?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ak1004 said:

Not a good analogy at all.

If someone talks loud, you have no choice but to hear him.

If someone doesn't wear a jacket, you have a choice not to look at him.

And the dinner still tastes the same.

What a complete waste of time and energy.. Do people really have that much spare time to discuss if others are wearing a jacket or not?

You’re here discussing it, so I guess yes?

What if they’re sitting right in front of you or next to you?  Should you turn your chair?  If you’re supposed to wear a jacket then wear one, it’s not that hard.

• Like 3