Freedom with 2 Year Old (Regret?)

41 minutes ago, Tatka said:

suggesting that kids will not remember this or that

I was generalizing not responding to the OP.  

"Kids begin forming explicit childhood memories around the 2-year mark, but the majority are still implicit memories until they’re about 7. It’s what researchers, like Carole Peterson, PhD from Canada’s Memorial University of Newfoundland, call “childhood amnesia.” 

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/when-do-children-start-making-long-term-memories/

I totally understand the mother's need to make memories but they are for her not the child.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

I don’t get why people concentrate on kids remembering cruise.

I'm sure for every 2 yr old who doesn't remember their cruise, there are about 100 adults who, for various alcohol-induced reasons, won't remember their cruise either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

I'm sure for every 2 yr old who doesn't remember their cruise, there are about 100 adults who, for various alcohol-induced reasons, won't remember their cruise either.

Exactly!

Different standards for different size of people.

My kid is 30+. I don't have a stake in this discussion, but this is such a strange discussion overall. I can understand criticizing parents who force screaming child to sit through the dinner in MDR rather than bring him/her outside or arrange dinner differently, but memories? Who can/should measure this?!

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, RobInMN said:

I wonder this all the time also. Even if they are well behaved, Even if they don't disturb anyone else, Even if they have a great time in the moment. I don't think a kid will remember until maybe the age of 5, maybe 4. I really don't think there's a point for the kid's sake, and there's really no relief for the parents. Yes, there's the kid's club thing, but it's got ending hours, and if you are bringing them and sending them there all day or evening, again, I also don't see the point. It's not for the kids. We never took our daughter on vacation until she was 4 or 5. Even so, she barely remembers her first trip or two. Possibly tiny fractions of things, but not a true "memory". We purposefully waited until she was 5 to take her to Disney. 

Agreed, not everyone has grandparents or a nanny. Growing up, my parents hired a live-in babysitter when they went on vacation. But I've also heard of kids staying with a trusted family friends or a friend's family.

@sjb317, Yes, an 18 month old can enjoy it at the time, but they'll never remember it when they are older.

I never went anywhere I couldn't take my kids. Some parents just enjoy time with their kids. They grow up too fast. Sure the baby won't remember but the parents will. I have lots of good memories of my kids with me at different places. They don't remember all of it but I do and I wouldn't trade those memories. I have plenty of time for myself now they They are grown and in their own.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

I took my kids so many places, not so they could have memories, but so they could be formed by experiences. 

And really, I cruise for the feeling of being at sea, which is more a vibe than specific event memories. 

This is spot on! You aren’t creating memories.   You are providing them experiences that allow them to learn and develop.   By the logic of some in this thread, should 2 year olds not go to the zoo or a museum because they won’t remember it?   Of course not, they love zoos and learn even if it isn’t evident each time you go.  Same with any type of travel, they are learning from the experience and most likely having a ton of fun with all of the new and exciting things on a cruise.   It’s also a great opportunity for them to try new and less common menu items not typically served at home. 

By the way, on our last cruise my 7 year old asked me about something we did on a cruise when she was….wait for it…..2.    So yes, experiences gained can lead to memories for even a 2 year old. 

19 hours ago, RobInMN said:

I wonder this all the time also. Even if they are well behaved, Even if they don't disturb anyone else, Even if they have a great time in the moment. I don't think a kid will remember until maybe the age of 5, maybe 4. I really don't think there's a point for the kid's sake, and there's really no relief for the parents. Yes, there's the kid's club thing, but it's got ending hours, and if you are bringing them and sending them there all day or evening, again, I also don't see the point. It's not for the kids. We never took our daughter on vacation until she was 4 or 5. Even so, she barely remembers her first trip or two. Possibly tiny fractions of things, but not a true "memory". We purposefully waited until she was 5 to take her to Disney. 

Agreed, not everyone has grandparents or a nanny. Growing up, my parents hired a live-in babysitter when they went on vacation. But I've also heard of kids staying with a trusted family friends or a friend's family.

@sjb317, Yes, an 18 month old can enjoy it at the time, but they'll never remember it when they are older.

Maybe I’m wrong, but from your post it sounds like you might have had one child.  Put yourself in the shoes of those of us with several children.  Should I wait until my daughter’s is 10 because my youngest won’t remember much?   Of course not.  And who cares how much they remember.   It’s about being together as a family and enjoying time together.  My kids would never want to go if we left our youngest behind (assuming we even could).  I love traveling with all three of my kids and that includes my 2 year old.   We all have a blast together and that is why I travel with them.  It’s really a pretty simple thing.  

Edited by topnole
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 7:08 AM, vision14k said:

Going on a cruise (Freedom of the Seas) and it will be the first cruise with our little guy who is two years old.  Is the only splash area he will be allowed to use (since he’s in diapers) really that small?  I’m starting to regret booking the cruise because I fear he’ll be upset he can’t use splash away bay from what I’m now

reading online.  

Has anyone taken a young toddler on Freedom, if so, what was your experience?

I just got back from a cruise on the Ovation, which has a similarly-small baby splash zone. I was worried that my two year old would be upset and want to follow his older sister into the bigger water play area, but he was very happy to stay in his little zone. I think the bigger areas felt overwhelming. 

Depending on where you are going, though, I would definitely plan some beach time if it is available. The variety will help keep the baby splash zone novel, and most kids love digging in the sand.

The area is small but it's enough to entertain the little ones. It will also keep them contained that way they can have some freedom of movement. There are some really cute little kid deck chairs by there too that my kids loved. 

All of the water is open to them on Cococay in a diaper including the zero entry pool, mini free water park,  and pirate ship  plenty of beaches in nassau for them to swim at too. Also the zoo.

3 hours ago, topnole said:

This is spot on! You aren’t creating memories.   You are providing them experiences that allow them to learn and develop.   By the logic of some in this thread, should 2 year olds not go to the zoo or a museum because they won’t remember it?   Of course not, they love zoos and learn even if it isn’t evident each time you go.  Same with any type of travel, they are learning from the experience and most likely having a ton of fun with all of the new and exciting things on a cruise.   It’s also a great opportunity for them to try new and less common menu items not typically served at home. 

By the way, on our last cruise my 7 year old asked me about something we did on a cruise when she was….wait for it…..2.    So yes, experiences gained can lead to memories for even a 2 year old. 

Am guessing some who comment about remembering haven't had kids. You're so correct. Everything shapes the child. Early experiences are amazingly important.

• Like 1

One of my biggest regrets in life is not taking my daughter on more vacations and making memories with her that way.  It wasn't that we left her behind... We just didn't go on vacations.  I worked long hours 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year.  A vacation might have been, at most, a couple days away out of town and often incorporated a meeting that I needed to attend.  Not so much fun for her.  In adulthood I have tried to take her, her husband and grand kids away at least once a year.  Some of the fondest memories I have are with my GK's on vacation.

To the OP...  

Have fun.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2023 at 2:31 PM, Jasukkie said:

I took my kids so many places, not so they could have memories, but so they could be formed by experiences. 

And really, I cruise for the feeling of being at sea, which is more a vibe than specific event memories. 

I agree with what you wrote 110 percent.  Even if they wont remember this trip, they are being affected by the experiences they are having.  Hope OP and his family has a great time.