HAL Newbie - Questions

Hobar

Planning a cruise on the Koningsdam in the Neptune Suite and taking the Elite Drink Package for a 7 night cruise.  Questions:

1. How many specialty dining nights does that include?

2. Is there lobster available in any dining venue?  If so, which one, and is there an extra cost?

3. Is there an extra cost or package for WiFi?

Unless you have the “Have it All” there are no speciality restaurants included or wifi.    There is an extra cost for lobster. 

Before you book you should familiarize yourself with the perks of a Neptune suite on the HAL website or with whomever you are going to book with.  

Enjoy the cruise-the Neptune suites are lovely.  

• Thanks 1

The drink packages don’t include specialty restaurant dinners/lunches (though you can use the beverage packages for drinks/drinks with dinner IN the specialty restaurants.) Lobster is available at every restaurant, in one form or another. It is ob the “regular” menu at Rudi’s.

Yes, wi-fi is “extra,” (eg, not included in your base fare).

HAL’s Have it All package includes the signature drink plan, wifi, and a couple of specialty dinners, depending on cruise length.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

Unless you have the “Have it All” there are no speciality restaurants included or wifi.    There is an extra cost for lobster. 

Before you book you should familiarize yourself with the perks of a Neptune suite on the HAL website or with whomever you are going to book with.  

Enjoy the cruise-the Neptune suites are lovely.  

Thank you.  I looked at at the “Have It All” package but it only includes the Signature Drinks, not the Elite and I think we may need the Elite (due to allowing for a bit higher drink cost).  My head is spinning trying to figure this out. Taking my mom so I want it to be special.  

8 minutes ago, Hobar said:

Thank you.  I looked at at the “Have It All” package but it only includes the Signature Drinks, not the Elite and I think we may need the Elite (due to allowing for a bit higher drink cost).  My head is spinning trying to figure this out. Taking my mom so I want it to be special.  

If you “HIA” you can pay the difference between the signature & Elite drinks as you go (as far as I know).   It really depends on just what you need & how much you drink.  Without the HIA it can be much cheaper and worth just paying for your drinks etc.  It does make a head spin for sure!

How wonderful to be taking you Mom.  Maybe talk to an experienced travel agent who is familiar with HAL or a PCC (personal cruise consultant) at HAL to answer some of your questions.  Or post more here as people will help with questions you have.  

Edited by canadianbear
  • Thanks 1

Neptune "specialty dining" is typically having breakfast in the lovely and quiet Pinnacle Restaurant in the mornings, or some other specially designated dining room for breakfast - Club Orange on your ship?.

Or ordering room breakfast with complimentary mimosas.  The Neptune balcony is very large, with a full table and chairs so dining outdoors for breakfast in your cabin can be very special.  

As well as the many types snacks, small bites and beverages in the Neptune Lounge. I believe there is now an honor bar in the Neptune Lounge, where you can use your drinks package too.  I find I rarely to to the Lido for anything to eat during the daytime, when staying in a Neptune. 

I believe you might also have Neptune access to Club Orange on the Konigsdam for dinner - which is a specialty private venue, but serves the main dining room menu with one extra entree item just for this  Club Orange group. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Hobar said:

Another thing to confuse you: there is an "early booking bonus" on the Have it All package if purchased before the end of September. In addition to the regular HIA, it includes a free upgrade to the elite drinks package, premium wi-fi, and crew appreciation gratuity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

If you “HIA” you can pay the difference between the signature & Elite drinks as you go (as far as I know).   It really depends on just what you need & how much you drink.  Without the HIA it can be much cheaper and worth just paying for your drinks etc.  It does make a head spin for sure!

How wonderful to be taking you Mom.  Maybe talk to an experienced travel agent who is familiar with HAL or a PCC (personal cruise consultant) at HAL to answer some of your questions.  Or post more here as people will help with questions you have.  

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful response.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Another thing to confuse you: there is an "early booking bonus" on the Have it All package if purchased before the end of September. In addition to the regular HIA, it includes a free upgrade to the elite drinks package, premium wi-fi, and crew appreciation gratuity.

Thank you.  Will be booking now for a March 2024 cruise so will look at that. Who doesn’t appreciate a free upgrade?  And as another poster suggested, I will contact a TA for more info.

Welcome to HAL - the K'dam is a lovely ship and should help create a nice cruising experience for you & your mom.

You've gotten spot on answers to your questions,  so I'll just add the Grand Dutch Cafe has great coffees plus "local" Dutch beers and terrific snacks not available on many other ships, so you might want to explore those. You'll only pay the difference on higher drinks (if you have the regular drink pkg) at GDC just like at the bars.

Also, if your mom enjoys the spa, you might consider getting her a Thermalpass; it will be $149 for the full week on 7 day cruise, unlimited use.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Sometimes in includes crew gratuity, sometimes it does not, depending on what sale is in effect. I wish they’d include it as a “plus” to differentiate when it was included, (eg HIA+).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Neptune Suite on the Koningsdam entitles you to the more intimate Club Orange dining room for breakfast and dinner, priority boarding, priority tendering (no tender ticket needed), the Neptune Lounge for coffee, snacks and a host/hostess to assist you and answer questions, and free laundry services.  The Have it All, if you want it, includes one dinner in a specialty venue but not Sel de Mer which provides a very special experience.  Book Sel de Mer before you sail or have the Neptune Lounge assistant book it for you.  It does have lobster but the Dover Sole is recommended by many people.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, topspot said:

How do you make specialty dining reservations using the HIA dining credit.  I put the reservations in my cart, but it wants my credit card.  Is there a code to use?  Thanks

It should show you have credits to use. Once used, it will show as redeemed. Did you see this when you logged into the booking then clicked to book dining?

20230830_194913.jpg

• Like 1

Yes I saw that, I clicked on it, made bookings, but it still wants me to put in a credit card.  I'll try in the app, I was trying on computer.  If not, I'll give it a day or two  I have been checking daily, and this is the first time I could actually book, I think I have some time to get dates and times I'd like.    Thanks for your help (again).  You answered a question I had when I first booked.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, topspot said:

Yes I saw that, I clicked on it, made bookings, but it still wants me to put in a credit card.  I'll try in the app, I was trying on computer.  If not, I'll give it a day or two  I have been checking daily, and this is the first time I could actually book, I think I have some time to get dates and times I'd like.    Thanks for your help (again).  You answered a question I had when I first booked.

FWIW - I  logged into one of my bookings on my phone using Chrome and took that screenshot after reading your question, so it seems to be working w/that combination. Definitely something off if you haven't redeemed them.

Just to be sure, are you selecting a venue that qualifies for the credits?

30 minutes ago, topspot said:

How do you make specialty dining reservations using the HIA dining credit.  I put the reservations in my cart, but it wants my credit card.  Is there a code to use?  Thanks

Be sure the venue you are making reservations for is included in your HIA. Not all of them are.

• Like 2

Thank you both.  Im trying Canaletto and Pinnacle grill.  It still wants me to pay… I’ll give it a day or two and try again.  The ability to reserve for this cruise just started today.   I think I have time…. Cruise isn’t until 4/2024.   I just like to plan  Thanks.. 

11 minutes ago, topspot said:

Thank you both.  Im trying Canaletto and Pinnacle grill.  It still wants me to pay… I’ll give it a day or two and try again.  The ability to reserve for this cruise just started today.   I think I have time…. Cruise isn’t until 4/2024.   I just like to plan  Thanks.. 

A few speciality restaurants opened today for a Jan 2024 cruise for me today too and I was not able to use my HIA credit either. Since it was first day opening up, and not all speciality restaurants show up in the list I figured they do not have it all together yet. 

like you, I will check again in the coming days. 

Edited by Ready2go11

On 8/13/2023 at 8:56 PM, Hobar said:

7 night cruise.  Questions:

1. How many specialty dining nights does that include?

Once you are logged in to Manage Your Cruise, the number of dining credits for each passenger will be listed, along with the amount of shore excursion credit, at the top of the page. For a 7-day cruise it should be 1 Have It All dining credit per passenger.

When you book a dining reservation, if there are credit(s) available for that venue, you will have the option to use them. If so, you will then be asked to identify which passenger(s) is/are using the HIA credit. Only then will the amount for that booking reset to $0.00.

Although it is possible to combine HIA ("free") reservations with non-HIA (for fee) reservations in the same transaction, I never do. I make our HIA reservations and then go to checkout. Then I start a new transaction for our non-HIA reservations.

• Thanks 1

Im also new to HAL. 

When I have booked a cruise, and there will be a price drop before final payment, are there any charges for changing the booking? I have called HAL and they told me that I have one free change to my booking. Is this correct? 
Thank you in advance!

8 minutes ago, DanielNL said:

When I have booked a cruise, and there will be a price drop before final payment, are there any charges for changing the booking?

If there is a price drop before final payment, you can ask for a re-fare from your TA or PCC. However, be aware that you can/will lose any perks/incentives that were in effect when you booked. In many/most cases you will be given the perks/incentives that are currently available. Just do the math and be prepared to base your decision on what you are told when you call.

You can always cancel the booking if you have a refundable deposit and then make a new booking. But again, do the math based on the original vs. current perks/incentives.

Edited by Cruise Suzy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1