Which airport is best to fly into for cruise from Ravenna?

lovesthebeach2

We’ll be cruising from Ravenna and wondering from those with much more experience than me in this area, which is the best (for ease of getting to the port) and least expensive airport to fly into from the US. If you can add ways to get to the port from these airports that would also be helpful. Thanks!

Best? I can't answer.

What are my plans for next year when I sail out of Trieste? Marco Polo airport serving Venice. Venice has been on my dream list since childhood. Have been there once and is still a must see for us. We are flying in and staying in Venice for 4 days pre-cruise. Then, we will head back to the airport and catch the cruise line shuttle to Trieste for embarkation.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Best? I can't answer.

What are my plans for next year when I sail out of Trieste? Marco Polo airport serving Venice. Venice has been on my dream list since childhood. Have been there once and is still a must see for us. We are flying in and staying in Venice for 4 days pre-cruise. Then, we will head back to the airport and catch the cruise line shuttle to Trieste for embarkation.

We’ve been to Venice so we don’t plan to stay there pre cruise, so we can’t depend on the royal transfer from there.  

2 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We’ll be cruising from Ravenna and wondering from those with much more experience than me in this area, which is the best (for ease of getting to the port) and least expensive airport to fly into from the US. If you can add ways to get to the port from these airports that would also be helpful. Thanks!

The easiest option to the pier from either airport is via RCL shuttle.  And RCI has a shuttle from Bologna and Venice airports this yr so assume the same for next .

Look over the first few pages of the Italy Ports of Call forum for past discussions.

As for cost, you'll need to see which options are available from the airport you typically depart from. 

• Like 2

There are nonstop flights to Venice from some U.S. gateway airports. There are no nonstop flights from here to Bologna; you'd have to connect somewhere in Europe.

However, routings with a connection in Europe, whether to VCE or BLQ, usually cost a lot less.

• Thanks 1

Bologna is the closest airport to fly into.  Last year, we chose to travel straight down and stay at a hotel in Ravenna - there are few taxis available to take you from 

Ravenna to the actual port, which is still quite a distance away.  If you chose this option, make sure you book a taxi at the hotel as soon as you arrive.  We chose to stay in Bologna overnight on leaving the ship (Sunday) and fly out the next day.  The plan was to have a nice meal in the evening to celebrate a friend’s birthday - there were plenty of restaurants in the vicinity of the hotel but none were open - apparently, they don’t open Sunday evenings!!!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Yorkshire Voyagers said:

Bologna is the closest airport to fly into.  Last year, we chose to travel straight down and stay at a hotel in Ravenna - there are few taxis available to take you from 

Ravenna to the actual port, which is still quite a distance away.  If you chose this option, make sure you book a taxi at the hotel as soon as you arrive.  We chose to stay in Bologna overnight on leaving the ship (Sunday) and fly out the next day.  The plan was to have a nice meal in the evening to celebrate a friend’s birthday - there were plenty of restaurants in the vicinity of the hotel but none were open - apparently, they don’t open Sunday evenings!!!

We were in Bologna on a Friday night.  It seems that for the best food you have to book your restaurant ahead.  I was cross with DH because we got stuck with a mediocre restaurant because he would not go with our Air BnB owner’s recommendation when we checked in.  By the time we went to book at about 7 pm it was too late.  

• Like 2

Let me put in a plug for flying to Venice for Ravenna.  Last fall our cruise embarkation was moved from Venice to Ravenna.  Instead of staying in Venice pre-cruise we spent a night in Padua – well worth a day! – and then took a private transfer to Ravenna – well worth a day or two!  Flying non-stop to/from Venice meant we didn't have to worry about where our luggage was going once Delta's app told us it was on the plane!  Once the new cruise terminal is built near Venice you won't have this great 'excuse' to see two interesting and out of the way Italian cities, so do it now!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Let me put in a plug for flying to Venice for Ravenna.  Last fall our cruise embarkation was moved from Venice to Ravenna.  Instead of staying in Venice pre-cruise we spent a night in Padua – well worth a day! – and then took a private transfer to Ravenna – well worth a day or two!  Flying non-stop to/from Venice meant we didn't have to worry about where our luggage was going once Delta's app told us it was on the plane!  Once the new cruise terminal is built near Venice you won't have this great 'excuse' to see two interesting and out of the way Italian cities, so do it now!

You are right about discovering new cities.  We would not have found Trieste and Bologna if we had sailed from Venice.  It just feels a bit of a faff at the moment because we have not got well-trodden roads to follow.  Embarkation and Debarkation days are so stressful anyway because the dots have to join up when it comes to timing or cruise ships, trains or planes might be missed.   

Here is hoping that those many folk who have asked questions about getting to the ports come back with descriptions of how they got on in order to advise next year’s cruisers.  

55 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Going back to the original in September (as we’ve done for many years) and flying into Venice with a private transfer arranged both ways to and from Ravenna. A stay in Venice either side of the cruises 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

We were in Bologna on a Friday night.  It seems that for the best food you have to book your restaurant ahead.  I was cross with DH because we got stuck with a mediocre restaurant because he would not go with our Air BnB owner’s recommendation when we checked in.  By the time we went to book at about 7 pm it was too late.  

I can imagine the disappointment!! The afternoon in Bologna on the return trip was great, just closed in the evening.  Back to Venice in September 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We plan to spend a couple of nights pre-cruise in Ravenna, (DH wants to visit that area).

We’ve already been to Venice, so didn’t intend to stay there.

Since we’re staying in Ravenna, we’ll need to get there from the airport whether we fly in to Bologna or Venice, so our decision will depend on price of flights and how to get to Ravenna from the airport the easiest way.

17 hours ago, Yorkshire Voyagers said:

Going back to the original in September (as we’ve done for many years) and flying into Venice with a private transfer arranged both ways to and from Ravenna. A stay in Venice either side of the cruises 

Do you have any recommendations for a private transfer to Ravenna from Venice? That would be best for us with our luggage.  Thanks!

On 8/16/2023 at 2:50 PM, lovesthebeach2 said:

Do you have any recommendations for a private transfer to Ravenna from Venice? That would be best for us with our luggage.  Thanks!

Booked the transfer through Holiday Taxis - they worked out quite well last year but it’s definitely not cheap 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a recommendation for a private car or taxi to pick us up at Bologna to take us to Ravenna?

actually a recommendation for the same from Venice airport to take us to Revenna. I’ll be booking whichever is cheaper to fly into.  

thanks so much. 

We are just back from a cruise with Royal out of Ravenna.

Flew into Venice for a few days and then took the train to Ravenna. After the cruise we took the train from Ravenna to Bologna to fly home.

All very easy (even with luggage), reliable and cheap on the train. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cruiseforus said:

actually a recommendation for the same from Venice airport to take us to Revenna.

I would really recommend considering the train from Venice. You change at either Ferrara or Bologna and it is very easy.

The main line to Ferrara or Bologna are super efficient modern trains, we booked 'Executive' with Trenitalia which was 60 Euros and had lunch and drinks served in a carriage with 10 aircraft first class seats.

It was a highlight of our trip and was like flying in a private jet 😄

• Like 1