Live from the Silver Nova 8-21-23 to 9-1-23 Venice to Rome!!

A Tucson Guy

11 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

People say it doesn’t make a different - but in reality it does.  Just ask your Butler, they can help a lot when you’re in a bigger suite.  The maitre’d  always ask for your suite number, why do you think they do that.  We’ve never had to wait for a table and always got a nice spot in the dining room.  We’ve also when we ask have never not gotten into a restaurant we wanted to eat at—we always make the request early in the day.  If someone has something booked, they won’t move them-nor should they.

But when possible they will get you what you ask for……….

Suite numbers are taken for logistic reasons and stock control, but also to show dietary restrictions.  I was in a normal verandah suite and also never had to wait, etc, same as you.  But my dietary restriction was always acknowledged and I was told if something I ordered was not suitable.  (I would order the day before if there was a meal I really e wanted and it needed to be adapted.  Yes, soufflé!)

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 1

Oh my God!!! This ship, the Silver Nova, is just amazing. We call it sensory overload. We were on the Dawn and the Moon last year and I don't think we could go back and we just got on board and did a quick tour- it is amazing. We have two SS cruises next year- one on the Moon and one on the new Ray. We may have to cancel the Moon cruise and find one on either the Ray or the Nova. I will try to post random thoughts on the major differences. We are in a basic veranda suite and the layout is day and night from the veranda suites on the Muse class ships. Huge bathroom, large double sink, huge shower with a bench (don't really need a tub), so much storage and a closet that does not feel like a small cave. Lunch on the pool deck and I think they got the hamburger patties worked out perfectly- yumm. The person that asked about the head of housekeeping, that person is not on board. Dinner tonight in La Dame and we will see if it is any different from the Dawn and the Moon for a lot more money. We are doing the Chef's Kitchen on Wed. at $180pp and we will report back. If I have time, I will try to post pictures but there are beautiful pictures all over the internet. All I can say is that most people will really be impressed.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for your opening comments. 

If you have a chance can you see if one can use the men's steam/sauna for free after working out in the gym?  Or do they make you pay as part of the spa experience?

Thank you and enjoy the cruise.

Tucson Guy; Please ask your butler if he knows where Karthik is and if he or his boss have a contact e-mail for Karthik. Glad to hear how fabulous the Nova is. I'll be aboard 5-15 Mar and am looking forward to it. I'll be solo since my lovely wife won't go. Thanks in advance from Sun City West, AZ.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Port Power said:

Suite numbers are taken for logistic reasons and stock control, but also to show dietary restrictions.  I was in a normal verandah suite and also never had to wait, etc, same as you.  But my dietary restriction was always acknowledged and I was told if something I ordered was not suitable.  (I would order the day before if there was a meal I really e wanted and it needed to be adapted.  Yes, soufflé!)

I’m sure that is true, but think about and believe what you want.  If you think people that pay the price for the high end suites don’t get special treatment—or people that cruise a lot with them——-all lines do it, it’s just part of life.

Edited by ronrick1943
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

I’m sure that is true, but think about and believe what you want.  If you think people that pay the price for the high end suites don’t get special treatment—or people that cruise a lot with them——-all lines do it, it’s just part of life.

I do agree that higher level suite guests receive more privileges and attention; they pay much more, so it is quite reasonable and fair.  I was just saying that there are also other reasons for suite numbers to be given at dining venues. No need to be snarky.

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Port Power said:

I do agree that higher level suite guests receive more privileges and attention; they pay much more, so it is quite reasonable and fair.  I was just saying that there are also other reasons for suite numbers to be given at dining venues. No need to be snarky.

Didn’t mean to start an argument, was just a small question.

One other question for the folks on board. What does the included wine list look like? I have seen links showing cocktails and whatnot, but nothing with a wine list (aside from the paid upgrade list)

1 minute ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

One other question for the folks on board. What does the included wine list look like? I have seen links showing cocktails and whatnot, but nothing with a wine list (aside from the paid upgrade list)

No worries.

There doesn’t t appear to be an actual list of the included wines.  Choices will be presented each night, but you can ask for a wine you have tried previously or for a style of wine.  The wonderful waiters tend to remember what you like, too.

• Like 1

Just now, Port Power said:

No worries.

There doesn’t t appear to be an actual list of the included wines.  Choices will be presented each night, but you can ask for a wine you have tried previously or for a style of wine.  The wonderful waiters tend to remember what you like, too.

Thanks, that helps!

any ports or dessert wines (Sauternes?!) included?

Are the included wines decent wines, or are we talking like the free bottle of “wine” I got at a Hyatt Place outside Napa 🙂 ? (I literally spit it out when trying to drink it )

1 minute ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

Thanks, that helps!

Are the included wines decent wines, or are we talking like the free bottle of “wine” I got at a Hyatt Place outside Napa 🙂 ? (I literally spit it out when trying to drink it )

I never actually looked for port or Sauternes, but there surely would be.  After all, Baileys and Sambucca are on the bar.

The included wines are very drinkable.  Some might not be to your taste, but nothing wrong with them.  Included red wines on Silver Dawn were from Chile, Argentina, Spain and Australia, etc.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Port Power said:

I never actually looked for port or Sauternes, but there surely would be.  After all, Baileys and Sambucca are on the bar.

The included wines are very drinkable.  Some might not be to your taste, but nothing wrong with them.  Included red wines on Silver Dawn were from Chile, Argentina, Spain and Australia, etc.

That’s all I can ask for. You have been helpful. Thanks!

30 minutes ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

Thanks, that helps!

They include a dessert wine, which is not very good, and port, about which I know nothing. 

For a good dessert wine I'd recommend their Tokaji from the connoisseurs list - around $90 for 375ml bottle and they will store partial bottles for subsequent dinners. Just ask the sommelier. 

2 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

They include a dessert wine, which is not very good, and port, about which I know nothing. 

For a good dessert wine I'd recommend their Tokaji from the connoisseurs list - around $90 for 375ml bottle and they will store partial bottles for subsequent dinners. Just ask the sommelier. 

That is great. Can you also have wines brought on board in the same way?

4 minutes ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

That is great. Can you also have wines brought on board in the same way?

You can. We have never done it but others have. SS guest services should be able to advise. 

Edited by Tothesunset
  • Like 1

Last night was dinner in LaDame. I went into dinner thinking that since the menus were similar to Dawn and Moon last year, it was not going to be a good value at $160 pp. I left the dinner feeling like it might be worth the new up charge. First the "house" wines were way above what is served in the other restaurants. We had a great dessert wine also better than before. I ordered caviar and it was way better than the stock caviar. Since we normally order a nice bottle of wine in La Dame which is usually $100 to $150. We did not feel the need to order a special wine. Food was similar but a few new nice touches. The butter dish was topped with olive oil infused with garlic, truffles and another spice. We had them drizzle the truffle infused olive oil and the taste was subtle but you could taste the truffles. It was a magnificent meal and we felt the new up charge was OK. Restaurant was 3/4 full on the first night of the cruise. We then went to the Venetian show lounge and sat in the upper story. It felt like a concert hall and we loved it. Time to get ready for excursions and  will be back.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Last night was dinner in LaDame. I went into dinner thinking that since the menus were similar to Dawn and Moon last year, it was not going to be a good value at $160 pp. I left the dinner feeling like it might be worth the new up charge. First the "house" wines were way above what is served in the other restaurants. We had a great dessert wine also better than before. I ordered caviar and it was way better than the stock caviar. Since we normally order a nice bottle of wine in La Dame which is usually $100 to $150. We did not feel the need to order a special wine. Food was similar but a few new nice touches. The butter dish was topped with olive oil infused with garlic, truffles and another spice. We had them drizzle the truffle infused olive oil and the taste was subtle but you could taste the truffles. It was a magnificent meal and we felt the new up charge was OK. Restaurant was 3/4 full on the first night of the cruise. We then went to the Venetian show lounge and sat in the upper story. It felt like a concert hall and we loved it. Time to get ready for excursions and  will be back.

Have to say - greatly appreciate your efforts in posting so quickly and usefully. TA's inputs are nice to have, but factual and observational reports from paying passengers so much more valuable. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

There isn't ever a printed wine list of the included wine lists. The reason is that even the sommelier doesn't know what will be delivered at a port in 2-3 weeks time. It depends on what is in the nearest SS warehouse and what deals they have done.

However I have found the included wines are good. no one will like every included wine on the cruise because we all have different tastes.

Now I really like South American wines which are basically unknow to most from the USA, Europe and Australia. They have been winning many awards and are generally great value for the price paid. On our recent 54 days on the Moon around the Med I knew the sommelier having cruised with her a few times. One night they had an Argentinian malbec which was quite good and I made the comment that I really liked South American reds.

An hour later she bought back a bottle of wine as a test. Now obviously it was going to be a South American wine but for me their most distinctive grape. A Chilean Carminere. So she said would I like to try a different South American wine each night as there were a few left over bottles from the Moon's Grand South American Voyage. So I tried wines from Argentina,Chile, Uruguay and Peru. The Peruvian wine was a petit Verdot and it was excellent. From the Tacama winery.

So just talk to one of the wine attendants and see what they have. You certainly don't have to have the night's wine selections.

• Like 4