updates for Australia cruise ship covid protocols

7 minutes ago, habitatnal said:

The Australian state government wants to keep the vaccination requirement not the cruise lines.  Holland America has cruises that are 40 days long with no requirements.  Do you really think that they would offer that cruise with no restrictions but then want to require vaccinations in Australia?  I have heard that the cruise lines are actively campaigning to drop the restrictions in Australia.

I have to point out that Australia is a country and not a state so our government is a Federal government.

Well, it is what it is as far as the covid rules here go. They'll change eventually I suppose but for now, they are what they are and we all have to abide by them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I have to point out that Australia is a country and not a state so our government is a Federal government.

Well, it is what it is as far as the covid rules here go. They'll change eventually I suppose but for now, they are what they are and we all have to abide by them.

I know that Australia is a country.  The Australian federal government has dropped all requirements for cruising.  Maybe I wasn’t clear but the reason why I said what I said is because the state governments are the ones still imposing restrictions on cruising.

I want to thank everyone for help me better understand the rules and the issues here.  Please indulge me one more clarification.  

I need no vaccination or test results to fly into and travel around Australia, just to embark a cruise ship.  I'm asking because we plan on spending 10 days traveling in Australia pre-cruise; so we'll need to bring test kits with us to use prior to embarking.

24 minutes ago, gdlamberth said:

I want to thank everyone for help me better understand the rules and the issues here.  Please indulge me one more clarification.  

I need no vaccination or test results to fly into and travel around Australia, just to embark a cruise ship.  I'm asking because we plan on spending 10 days traveling in Australia pre-cruise; so we'll need to bring test kits with us to use prior to embarking.

That is correct. Bring a test kit with you and do the test within 24 hours before embarking.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2023 at 11:17 PM, gdlamberth said:

That is right at the moment. You can either bring your own tests or purchase one at a pharmacy once here. Enjoy your holiday here, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LOL.

The Telegraph is taking credit for the change. I don't know if that is hilarious or incredulous. My eyes must be fading, so I can't tell it the author is Leeming or Lemming. 🤣

I wonder if the Telegraph has also pushed for the pre-cruise testing to be removed.

I have also heard similar in a sound grab on radio news this morning. The key point for now is the last sentence.... we'll be removing ... which is a pretense.

• Like 4

The 'restrictions which have been cruelling the industry' - what? Is that the same cruise industry that's never been so busy?

Minns says we 'need to move on' - despite the fact covid is still around and causing grief (and hospitalisations are up in the US along with the latest strain of the bug but let's not ruin the Telegraph's campaign with facts).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

This isn't a done deal yet, as the "East Coast cruise protocols" were established by NSW & QLD, and the other states signed on to it. As a good friend reminded me this morning, the wicked witch of the north has said boo so far, so they need to send a Courier Mail journo to George St Brisbane to tell her to remove it. 😉

Even then, I recall the previous NSW Premier posturing that way too, but it wasn't his decision to make.

But the good news is that when NSW & QLD relax the protocols, that the rest of Australia will follow. I am not so sure that testing will be dropped. 

Hope they don’t stop the testing pre boarding.

Cheers Carole

• Like 8

23 hours ago, habitatnal said:

I wonder when this will take effect?  I would hope that all of Australia would drop protocols and not just NSW.  I would think pre-cruise testing would be dropped as well.

One bit missing that is important with these protocols, particularly for those outside of Australia wondering when the date will be. Chris Minns is only one state premier and has no executive power over these protocols. Extracted from those protocols:

The Eastern Seaboard and Western Australian Cruise Protocols are the primary document outlining Governments’ expectations for cruise lines operating in Australia (domestic and international). They were developed on the instruction of National Cabinet, are informed by industry, and have been approved by Governments across the Eastern Seaboard and in Western Australia. As national COVID-19 settings change, state Governments will consider and advise industry of any changes to the Protocols.

18_July_Eastern_Seaboard_Cruise_Protocols.pdf (nsw.gov.au)

National cabinet is not a government, but a function that allows the Australian and state governments to meet and decide on policy/strategy of things that affect both levels of government. National cabinet met last week, and as far as I can tell, this didn't get a mention and there is no date set for their next meeting. NSW & QLD developed much of the protocols, as they are the predominant cruises states in Australia. It is possible that NSW and QLD could agree to dismantle this outside of National Cabinet, but there has been no word from QLD at this stage. I am waiting intently for any news from QLD premier Anastasia Palaszczuk and/or National Cabinet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

26 minutes ago, arxcards said:

One bit missing that is important with these protocols, particularly for those outside of Australia wondering when the date will be. Chris Minns is only one state premier and has no executive power over these protocols. Extracted from those protocols:

The Eastern Seaboard and Western Australian Cruise Protocols are the primary document outlining Governments’ expectations for cruise lines operating in Australia (domestic and international). They were developed on the instruction of National Cabinet, are informed by industry, and have been approved by Governments across the Eastern Seaboard and in Western Australia. As national COVID-19 settings change, state Governments will consider and advise industry of any changes to the Protocols.

18_July_Eastern_Seaboard_Cruise_Protocols.pdf (nsw.gov.au)

National cabinet is not a government, but a function that allows the Australian and state governments to meet and decide on policy/strategy of things that affect both levels of government. National cabinet met last week, and as far as I can tell, this didn't get a mention and there is no date set for their next meeting. NSW & QLD developed much of the protocols, as they are the predominant cruises states in Australia. It is possible that NSW and QLD could agree to dismantle this outside of National Cabinet, but there has been no word from QLD at this stage. I am waiting intently for any news from QLD premier Anastasia Palaszczuk and/or National Cabinet.

I’m hoping we will hear something soon.  Thank you for the lesson in how Australian government works.  I have never been to Australia but I hope to someday.  I just think it is time to drop all protocols now because if you don’t think it is safe to go on a cruise then don’t go.  No one is forcing you to go on a cruise.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, habitatnal said:

I’m hoping we will hear something soon.  Thank you for the lesson in how Australian government works.  I have never been to Australia but I hope to someday.  I just think it is time to drop all protocols now because if you don’t think it is safe to go on a cruise then don’t go.  No one is forcing you to go on a cruise.

True, but these protocols were never about an individual's decision to cruise, but to protect hospitals from being overwhelmed. For NSW, that risk passed only around 6 weeks ago but I agree, now is the time.

• Like 2

I can see some serious misunderstandings about the protocols based on the Ch9 news report and the short clip of Minns last night. A casual observer would perhaps think that from yesterday the vax & test requirements for cruising have been lifted & so people will start turning up at the terminal perhaps from today to find the protocols are still in place.

A date is required to be announced!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, mr walker said:

I can see some serious misunderstandings about the protocols based on the Ch9 news report and the short clip of Minns last night. A casual observer would perhaps think that from yesterday the vax & test requirements for cruising have been lifted & so people will start turning up at the terminal perhaps from today to find the protocols are still in place.

A date is required to be announced!

I think he was just signalling a general policy direction for the near future - full details are yet to be signed off. I dont know if NSW would go ahead without QLD concurrence. 

• Like 1

I have not been following how cruising has been proceeding overseas- all I know is that I know many people who have all done comprehensive tours and cruises all over the World - and none have come across any problem (like being put off an expensive land tour or locked up in a ship cabin) . I am definitely wondering why I still remain so nervous about the consequences of testing positive when on cruises or organised tours. There is no problem with organising ones own transport, accomodation etc. My understanding is that the only way you can get Covid these days is to get tested for it 🙂 

According to this article unvaccinated cruisers can book their cruise from this weekend!                                                                                                                                                                                               https://cruisepassenger.com.au/news/federal-government-removes-cruise-vaccination-requirements/?fbclid=IwAR1F3EZUC81it_uPXRYUWMXWza1Jz2wPT8rClJGTP9jqycyLCnypQrIVaU8

19 minutes ago, datone said:

According to this article unvaccinated cruisers can book their cruise from this weekend!                                                                                                                                                                                               https://cruisepassenger.com.au/news/federal-government-removes-cruise-vaccination-requirements/?fbclid=IwAR1F3EZUC81it_uPXRYUWMXWza1Jz2wPT8rClJGTP9jqycyLCnypQrIVaU8

It says the Federal body has removed 'its' requirement for vaccination but the States still have theirs in place. The article also states that 'The AHPPC though, will uphold recommendations for isolation for those who have Covid.'

So it's not a free-for-all just yet!

• Like 1

It is close to a done deal. Rather than the reports about the report, here is the report: 

https://www.health.gov.au/news/ahppc-statement-advice-to-support-safe-cruising

Even though only announced today, the decision was made ay AHPPC 9 days ago. With the CDNA cruise guidelines being archived today, it has afforded the East Coast Protocols the space to be wound back as well.

Our "famous" NSW page for the past 18 months or so has a small update today.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/travel/cruising-rules

The Australian Health Protection Principal Committee has released new advice to support safe cruising. This webpage will be updated soon with NSW Health advice to the cruising industry and passengers. Changes for each state will reflect CDNA guidelines, and will only take days to be rubber stamped.

On cabin isolation, AHPPC advice ...  encourage those who have cold or flu symptoms to stay in their cabin and if leaving their cabin to wear a mask and avoid crowded spaces. This stuff was around long before covid, and has been applied during flu & noro outbreaks. I expect that this will return to becoming a last resort during any cruise affected by a serious outbreak.

What else will change - well, now comes the cruise line policy around refunding anyone genuinely sick with covid. Currently, there have been 100% credits given up to the gangway for anyone testing positive with a pre-cruise RAT. With this test no longer required, even if you take one, the result will be irrelevant to being denied boarding resulting in no credits for cancellation. This will fall back onto the travel insurance policy, and not all policies cover for pre-cruise cancellation due to covid.

• Like 7