Block alcoholic beverage purchases

Snshyne

Hi all! I’m hoping for some suggestions.  I am wondering if it is possible to block alcoholic beverages from being ordered on your sea pass card and if so, how do I go about that?  My father has mild dementia and his current meds can be dangerous if mixed with alcohol.  In his state of mind, it will be unreasonable for him to always include the word “virgin/no alcohol” when ordering.  We purchased the refreshment package so he can enjoy all the mock tails but are concerned they will serve him alcohol should he not be specific.  Hoping there is a solution as to alert the server when placing an order.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

6 minutes ago, Snshyne said:

Hi all! I’m hoping for some suggestions.  I am wondering if it is possible to block alcoholic beverages from being ordered on your sea pass card and if so, how do I go about that?  My father has mild dementia and his current meds can be dangerous if mixed with alcohol.  In his state of mind, it will be unreasonable for him to always include the word “virgin/no alcohol” when ordering.  We purchased the refreshment package so he can enjoy all the mock tails but are concerned they will serve him alcohol should he not be specific.  Hoping there is a solution as to alert the server when placing an order.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Ok, if the doctors feel like a cruise is still adequate for your father's health condition, better for you to ask special needs department and they'll have a solution for that. Perhaps not blocking purchases because that might not be possible, but a sticker on your father's cruise card stating that he has that certain special need or something else. Someone more used to this specific thing will shine in certainly, but on one thing I must grant you, in my case as a blind individual, special needs departments in all cruise lines alive are usually sort of late to answer, but they are generally GREAT at the assistance level they provide. They'll sort it out for you.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Snshyne said:

I think it's all or nothing. I have a hc sister who I dont give charging privileges. 

• Like 1

With Serve Safe, Individuals may be blocked from alcohol purchases for a specific amount of time. 24 hours? I don't have experience with it, but I have heard bartenders telling patrons that they were unable to serve them and handing their card back. So, there must be some way to make it happen. Maybe guest services? 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Snshyne said:

Get a card printed up " medical alert ⚠️ No alcohol" put it on top of cruises card . Attached with  lanyard through punch hole .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

Get a card printed up " medical alert ⚠️ No alcohol" put it on top of cruises card . Attached with  lanyard through punch hole .

I see the problem with labels, stickers and cards being that "dad" can remove them at anytime.  It would have to be something built into the Seapass card

3 hours ago, Badatz2 said:

I see the problem with labels, stickers and cards being that "dad" can remove them at anytime.  It would have to be something built into the Seapass card

That is a big question I guess. Are you only worried that they will accidentally slip Dad some booze , or are you also worried that Dad will TRY to get some booze ?

1 hour ago, LobsterStalker said:

That is a big question I guess. Are you only worried that they will accidentally slip Dad some booze , or are you also worried that Dad will TRY to get some booze ?

...And this is why; I highly suggest the OP to contact special needs department. I know the no direct cruise lines links thing here, but this time is pretty much justifiable to help someone in need. Here it is to whom to contact in such situations. Every time I go with RCI this is where I start my contact with them for my own special needs as a blind individual. Same thing here:

Guest Special Needs | Royal Caribbean Cruises

18 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Ok, if the doctors feel like a cruise is still adequate for your father's health condition, better for you to ask special needs department and they'll have a solution for that. Perhaps not blocking purchases because that might not be possible, but a sticker on your father's cruise card stating that he has that certain special need or something else. Someone more used to this specific thing will shine in certainly, but on one thing I must grant you, in my case as a blind individual, special needs departments in all cruise lines alive are usually sort of late to answer, but they are generally GREAT at the assistance level they provide. They'll sort it out for you.

YMMV, but I've found them useless for hearing impaired needs.  They never deliver/install the "promised" equipment requested pre-sailing.  Then when you contact guest services (that you can't understand 😞 ), the below deck personnel (that you can't understand 😞 ) that come to deliver/install the devices either have no clue how to set up the equipment or it's typically broken or decades out of date.

I submitted a request for my cruise in September, but so far I've received no response.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Badatz2 said:

"Dad" can also ask another cobber to shout him a drink too ..... 

Wouldn't removing charging privileges accomplish this? If he doesn't have an alcohol package, he can't buy a drink. Unless you are concerned with a bartender accidentally putting alcohol in a drink, but I don't think any step can prevent that from happening.