Celebrity Silhouette Main Dining Room Experience an Embarrassment

Rustyman

On 8/20/2023 at 11:02 PM, goofysmom99 said:

There is also Irish stew (boiled potatoes) on this menu, so except for the mashed potatoes, the carbs are the mains.  Yum.

Screenshot_20230819_164132_Celebrity.jpg

Looks a pretty bad menu. I’d be off to the buffet. Changed a bit since our last cruise on The Solstice in 2020. We are sailing on The Edge in a few weeks but have booked quite a few Speciality restaurants due to the menus.  

2 hours ago, Suite Susie said:

Looks a pretty bad menu. I’d be off to the buffet. Changed a bit since our last cruise on The Solstice in 2020. We are sailing on The Edge in a few weeks but have booked quite a few Speciality restaurants due to the menus.  

We last cruised in June. It was a 7 night cruise. We had a dining package for 4 nights. The other 3 nights we went to Sushi one night, MDR one night and buffet one night. The MDR was horrendous - so loud I couldn’t hear my husband on the other side of the table. Food was poor - meat was tough and mashed spud gloopy. The buffet for dinner - we walked round and round trying to find a meal. We eventually chose chicken paella and beef stew. Most of the chicken was already taken so it was 99% rice. The beef was boring and tasteless. 
So glad we had the dining package, but you shouldn’t have to rely on paying extra for speciality restaurants to get a decent meal. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TowandaUK said:

We last cruised in June. It was a 7 night cruise. We had a dining package for 4 nights. The other 3 nights we went to Sushi one night, MDR one night and buffet one night. The MDR was horrendous - so loud I couldn’t hear my husband on the other side of the table. Food was poor - meat was tough and mashed spud gloopy. The buffet for dinner - we walked round and round trying to find a meal. We eventually chose chicken paella and beef stew. Most of the chicken was already taken so it was 99% rice. The beef was boring and tasteless. 
So glad we had the dining package, but you shouldn’t have to rely on paying extra for speciality restaurants to get a decent meal. 

Which ship?

3 hours ago, Suite Susie said:

Same here.  We have booked specialty due to the menus...

42 minutes ago, Robert de Beaumont said:

Did they push through a recent price increase on the so-called “premium” options? 
image.thumb.jpeg.0dd016bdcf8dc3a27409e9eee5ff75f9.jpeg

Is this on ex-UK cruise? The extra 20% is either gratuity or sales tax included. On recent ex-UK classic package  limit was $12 not the usual $10, individual drinks were also 20% more expensive.

1 hour ago, nikel said:

Specialty should be a choice because you want something different....NOT because the MDR is so bad !!

The 2 cruise lines I sail on the most are MSC (non Yacht Club) and Celebrity.  Previously, Celebrity's MDR food had been head and shoulders above MSC's.  In my view, MSC is one of the few cruise lines that has held steady or improved their food, while it sounds like Celebrity may be moving in the wrong direction.

My last sailing on Celebrity was NYE 2021 and the food was quite good at that time.  I'll be on Celebrity in less than a week, and back on MSC later in the year.  It will be interesting to compare things relative to what we last experienced on Celebrity.

Now my first sailing on Celebrity, back when, was on Century & the food was amazing.  Filet Mignon and a big lobster tail w/no extra charge.  Not only that, but we were invited to the Captain's table to dine w/the ship's Captain.  My (then) GF was quite pretty and busty, which probably explains the invitation.

Edited by Stockjock

1 hour ago, nikel said:

Specialty should be a choice because you want something different....NOT because the MDR is so bad !!

Absolutely agreed. In the before times we chose specialty and had great food included in the MDR industry side.

This isn’t the way to push people into specialty dining.

6 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

The 2 cruise lines I sail on the most are MSC (non Yacht Club) and Celebrity.  Previously, Celebrity's MDR food has been head and shoulders above MSC's.  In my view, MSC is one of the few cruise lines that has held steady or improved their food, while it sounds like Celebrity may be moving in the wrong direction.

My last sailing on Celebrity was NYE 2021 and the food was quite good at that time.  I'll be on Celebrity in a few days and back on MSC later in the year.  It will be interesting to compare things relative to what we last experienced on Celebrity.

Now my first sailing on Celebrity, back when, was on Century & the food was amazing.  Filet Mignon and a big lobster tail w/no extra charge.  Not only that, but we were invited to the Captain's table to dine w/the ship's Captain.  My (then) GF was quite pretty and busty, which probably explains the invitation.

invites to Cap Table were never based on physical attributes or sexism..and the Cap was not the one who did the selecting!  Guess I am done for today!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We just got off the Silhouette on Friday August 25th and were also very disappointed in the MDR. We normally cruise aqua class but that has gotten so expensive we went with a veranda instead.

We did do the TajX Indian dinner, Lawn Club Grill, Tuscan and Murano so only ate in the MDR 3 times. And on each night, our meals were well below the quality we expected.

Some of the problems we encountered were, very fatty cuts of meat, to the point of being inedible, overdone meat, long wait times for wine (well into the main course before wine was brought), cauliflower and cheese side dish had very little cheese and was burnt.  My husband does not drink wine so he ordered a very simple 2 ingredient drink of liquor plus mixer and the mixer was wrong, it took so long to get the server's attention, he wound up going out to craft social to get his own drink. 

We also spoke to people at the tables next to us and they said they were disappointed with the food too.

As I said, we normally cruise in Aqua so we were not really aware of the menu changes, there was always one thing on the menu we were willing to eat but the quality was really disappointing.

We decided after this trip that if Aqua is still too expensive, we will book verandas and just do specialty dining every night because the MDR was really not enjoyable for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

invites to Cap Table were never based on physical attributes or sexism..and the Cap was not the one who did the selecting!  Guess I am done for today!

Respectfully, I don't think we know that for certain.  It was the only time this occurred and we had no prior history with Celebrity.

We are just off the Solstice last week after Alaska. 
Identical issues experienced. So disappointing!

MDR staff are aware and encouraged us to comment appropriately in the survey.
We’ve got 2 more trips booked, we’ll give them a chance to redeem themselves on the next one and then look at our options.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2023 at 11:08 AM, paulh84 said:

Maybe bringing back a smear of sauce or droplets along plate rim like it’s 1999 will make it taste better!

LOL!!! Personally, I think a sprinkle of chopped fresh herbs, an edible flower here or there, a microgreen sprout or two and yes, a smear or droplets of sauce does wonders with the brain! There are published research articles about this being true or at least the perception of how the food taste can be based on how the food is plated!! Check this out.

image.png.70d9c41e4777b483bbbf7545b69b443b.png