Luggage tags

DanielNL

Dear cruisers!

In 2 weeks I’ll be sailing again with NCL. I have sailed with NCL before COVID, but also once ‘after’ COVID 2 years ago. I remember last time NCL send me my luggage tags to my home address. Im not sure if this was new to NCL since COVID. Can I expect them again right now, or just print them by myself as before. I have done my online check in 100% already.  Thank you in advance!

2 minutes ago, DanielNL said:

Dear cruisers!

In 2 weeks I’ll be sailing again with NCL. I have sailed with NCL before COVID, but also once ‘after’ COVID 2 years ago. I remember last time NCL send me my luggage tags to my home address. Im not sure if this was new to NCL since COVID. Can I expect them again right now, or just print them by myself as before. I have done my online check in 100% already.  Thank you in advance!

Normally, if you are going to get luggage tags, you would have received them by now (e.g., we got our about 30 days out for our upcoming cruise). Just print them out. 

Right after COVID, NCL was trying to reduce any crowds around porters. Now, they don't care. Seattle may be the one exception where the NCL terminal drop off is super tiny. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DanielNL said:

Dear cruisers!

I believe they only send them out for Haven/Suite guests now. I have seen posted that some not in Haven/Suites have received them, but I think that is far and few between. But like Bird said, you can print them from your EDocs. Enjoy your cruise!!

28 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

For all our 29 NCL cruises, we have not received any luggage tags from NCL, not once!

I just print out our own from the eDocs.

Must I print them out in color, or will black and white be sufficient?  Looking to save $1.60.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

black and white is fine. 

IIRC, the color is  unique to the ship and has nothing to do with your cabin/deck/priority.

True, the colour is unique to the ship, you might want to print the tags in colour if there are two (or more) NCL ships in port at same time.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

True, the colour is unique to the ship, you might want to print the tags in colour if there are two (or more) NCL ships in port at same time.

Baltimore, only NCL in port, always print in color when sailing out of Miami.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, quillwercruisers said:

I believe they only send them out for Haven/Suite guests now. I have seen posted that some not in Haven/Suites have received them, but I think that is far and few between.

I've sailed three times this year in steerage and received luggage tags in the mail each time.  I guess NCL likes me more than others.😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

that's cause youre such a likable old cuss.

i usually get our tags in the mail, and dont affix them until im at the port. also, i suggest if youre going to print them off your computer, use hard stock paper, and bring along a small stapler. imho, this prevents them from being torn off while in transit

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

i usually get our tags in the mail, and dont affix them until im at the port. also, i suggest if youre going to print them off your computer, use hard stock paper, and bring along a small stapler. imho, this prevents them from being torn off while in transit

I think most here just use the nice Amazon holders if we're stuck with paper tags.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mugtech said:

Must I print them out in color, or will black and white be sufficient?  Looking to save $1.60.

B/W is perfectly fine. Don't pay to print tags, just have the porters at the port write a tag for you. Triple check that they have the right stateroom number on each bag. 

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know the reasoning behind who gets luggage tags mailed and who doesn't? We have a group of 5 cabins. Studio and two balconies got the package in the mail. Club suite and balcony didn't.
It's also a mixture of using a travel agent and signing up directing with NCL.

Just wondering why it's so random.

I know people go out of their way to get luggage tags, put them in special holders, etc.

As has been mentioned, prints them out on your printer, fold them the way the simple instructions tell you to, staple them to your luggage.

Or……

Forego all of that and let the porters tag them for you.

Either works and either is fine, whether you’re mailed luggage tags or not.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I know people go out of their way to get luggage tags, put them in special holders, etc.

As has been mentioned, prints them out on your printer, fold them the way the simple instructions tell you to, staple them to your luggage.

Or……

Forego all of that and let the porters tag them for you.

Either works and either is fine, whether you’re mailed luggage tags or not.

Or order tag holders on Amazon, print, stuff them in.

Easier than locating at stapler while on vacation and I am not carrying a little stapler with me. The luggage tag holders are convenient for when I’m taking multiple flights, a train, and a shuttle to get to my ship. You can’t put the tags on till after your flight and then you don’t want them coming off. Also I accidentally ordered the size for NCL so I now have enough for 12 people 🤦🏼‍♀️.

Your right though porter is an option but I like being organized ahead of time.

Lots of options for everyone and no judgement on whichever option works for each individual.

I understand the tag holder thingies.  I don't fret about them mailing the luggage tags to me, though.  Sometimes they do.  Sometimes they don't.  Mostly, I do carry on and have my rollaboard with me when I embark and with my back pack really have no need for luggage tags.  Now, if I was checking luggage, obviously I need tags. Invariably, I forget them.  And, the porters take care of them for me after showing my ticket with my cabin number.

Only time I had an issue was on an MSC cruise, where they actually lost a checked bag.  They didn't even get the right deck.  Was waiting and waiting, until finally customer service called me to tell me someone else got my luggage.

I was a bit worried.  But, I had a lock on the luggage.  And, no one outside of TSA and me could open it.  Still, it took them a day to track it down.

NCL, who I've sailed the most, has been accurate and timely with my luggage any time I've checked it...with a porter luggage tag, one I printed out, or one they mailed to me.  Never seemed to matter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Luggage rages, printed or mailed, all go in my Amazon tag holders. Don’t want th tearing off or the sticky adhesive on my handles (not too careful when removing the backing). 

Started using luggage tags a year ago.  I think they are great!  They come with a thin metal cable tie, aren't going to get torn off, and are reusable.

On a Panama Canal cruise from San Diego to Miami, my brother had a bag tagged by a porter that either never made it onboard or is forever lost.  Can't say for certain why it never made it aboard.  Everyone else in our party (3-cabins) used the same porter and all the bags went on the same rack. We all got our bags.  Lucky for him it was more of a carry-on than a suite case, but its loss was still an inconvenience. 

Don't know if I'm breaking the rules, but here is a link for luggage tags:

https://www.amazon.com/NCL-Luggage-Tag-Holders-Cruise/dp/B07XKWFMR7/ref=sr_1_5_pp?c=ts&keywords=Luggage+Tags&qid=1693428389&s=apparel&sr=1-5&ts_id=1234358011 

28 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Has anyone used Air Tags?

Your experiences?

Make finding/tracking bags easier?

I swear by AirTags since an airline lost my luggage for 3 weeks. So much less stress when I can track my luggage every step of the way. Basically as long as an iPhone or iPad goes nearby it will track it.

This week my business is shipping a very important box and I put an AirTag in it so I can track it.

The best deal ive found is buying a 4 pack from Costco. We put one in each piece of checked luggage plus in our carry on and even our personal items. There’s usually even one in my knitting bag. If someone steals your purse it’s trackable. 

I didn’t know where all my AirTags where today so I was able to use the finding feature and track them to within inches using my phone. It was fantastic. I also like knowing my luggage made it onboard my flight before taking off. Also when my flight lands I don’t have to wait for all the luggage to go round and round the carrousel before making my way to baggage claims. I’m first in line since I know it’s still in X city. So less time spent in line is a bonus.

Honestly can’t say enough good things about AirTags. I recommend them to everyone and have been using them for over a year now. One tip though is you can name each tag. I’ll name them after each suitcase like “moms carry on” which helps when trying to tell someone what the issuing suitcase looks like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Has anyone used Air Tags?

Your experiences?

Make finding/tracking bags easier?

The problem with Air Tags is that they basically says that your bag is on the ship/at the port. Air Tags work by pinging off iPhones near by,,,, once people go into airplane mode, there will be limited pings,,, if your bag is lost. It won't say "Your bag is at Cabin 826". 

They work o.k. if you're in Miami and your bag is pinging in Kansas City. 

fwiw, we have Air Tags in all of our bags,,, but we travel several times a month, so they have other purposes. 

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The problem with Air Tags is that they basically says that your bag is on the ship/at the port. Air Tags work by pinging off iPhones near by,,,, once people go into airplane mode, there will be limited pings,,, if your bag is lost. It won't say "Your bag is at Cabin 826". 

They work o.k. if you're in Miami and your bag is pinging in Kansas City. 

fwiw, we have Air Tags in all of our bags,,, but we travel several times a month, so they have other purposes. 

You could use the “find” feature if it’s within 8 yards. Literally you could walk the hallways and locate it that way if it’s in a stateroom most likely. Not sure if the metal walls might interfere with that feature however.

• Like 1