New Informal Trend Permanent?

LocoLoco1

Generally on ships that have more European passengers, you will find an elevated level of dress. No offence, but their casual elegance makes North Americans look like street urchins. You can always pick out a European by how well they are dressed. 

• Like 8

It will always be there, mainly because they make money from people getting photos taken. That was especially true on every Carnival ship I've been on, where they have backdrops and photographers everywhere. I finished my first Cunard cruise last week, and if you want to be in a tux-majority place, that's your crowd, although they at least go with themes now (ours was Ice White, with an Alaska glacier theme). Some wore suits on Cunard, as I did, and I dined in an Asian restaurant that night, where the dress code didn't apply, and the buffet was full of people not dressed up. So choice and freedom are good things, and not imposing your beliefs on others or judging them. My parents stayed in suites and took tons of luggage so they could dress up on RC cruises, but I go with a backpack or duffel and stay in solo insides. The cruise lines are also aiming towards the future, especially Royal and Celebrity, which I think is indicated in their innovative ships designs and younger demographic, and their stock price seems to show it's paying off. Am I the only one who hates the term Dressy Night? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rj59 said:

Am I the only one who hates the term Dressy Night? 

No. It’s very cringey.  I think they were going for “easily understood” but arrived at “you’re not smart enough to understand”.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This "trend" started a long time ago. I went on a cruise in 2009 on RCCL that let a fellow diner wear a T-shirt to dinner every night despite it being against the dress code. But there are always people who dress. My good friends , who sail Carnival, dress formal, for the dressy nights, and he wears a tux. I wear a dress to dinner every night,although the casual nights it may be a sundress. I don't bring long gowns anymore, and my "dressy" dresses are usually some wrinkle proof fabric. Sometimes I wear a glittery or velvet jacket or fancy sweater over it.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

Need I even keep my Tux? Seems HAL/Princess have moved to a MUCH more informal ambiance. Wife & her Gal-pals report nary a Tux on their recent Princess 10-day. During Covid we dined exclusively Lido/Poolside on a HAL 15/day Carib. Q: Where’s Tuxes? Cunard? Seabourne? Or has the entire industry moved on??

Entire industry has moved on. For the most part one can travel with a simple gym bag and be right in step with the majority even for dinner in the fancy rooms.

The other day I had a realization why the circus failed - The American public took the side show on the road.

• Thanks 1

I wore a tux on my first HAL cruise on the Volendam in 2007 and have not worn it since.  I hope the cruise industry never goes back to formal, I enjoy the current country club casual as it is more comfortable in hot weather and cold weather. Here in San Antonio, TX we have so far 61 days over 100F this summer and I haven't been out of my shorts for months.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, RD64 said:

Generally on ships that have more European passengers, you will find an elevated level of dress. No offence, but their casual elegance makes North Americans look like street urchins. You can always pick out a European by how well they are dressed. 

The same folks who shower in cologne or perfume so you can't sit within 50 feet of them in the dining room without having your dinner ruined (no offense).

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

It’s a travesty.

I still begrudge that between the two world wars the tuxedo largely supplanted the tailcoat as standard evening wear. My TRUE formalwear has been relegated to the all too rare occasions I have to be received by royals.

How will anyone tell me apart from a footman? Or worse… from a tenant or the working class?

It’s almost as if there is a sinister force at play… working to remove the distinction between classes. Ripping privilege from our grasp! What’s next?

Soon anyone will be able to afford to cruise and pretend to be able to appreciate the finer things.

Edited by BigMattT
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I always make my hubby pack a sports coat, slacks & tie-- but he hates to wear them, so the coat & tie usually remain in the closet.  I wish he would have the attitude of another poster on this thread-"to please my wife."  It seems that women like getting dressed up, while most men prefer not to.  I usually wear dresses to dinner with a light weight jacket/sweater over them- I feel dressed up, while he is comfortable in his slacks & collared shirt.

Methinks here is how in the next several years cruising will evolve further: No more Tux’s on the Big 3’s Mega-ships.  Cruisefare$ (As advertised) on HAL, Princess, NCL, Celebrity, et al will simply get one aboardship. Lido buffet food gratis; but Omelet Sta.& Gelato, no. Poolside Burgers & fries.. $Extra$. Poolside chaise loungers/Cabana shade…$Extra$. MDR afternoon Tea, any meal with cloth napkin & Waitstaff.. $Extra$.  Happy Hr. Cashews, turndown chocolate & towel animals.. $Extra$. Corporate TA’s/PCC’s will squeeze out the independents. Lenders will keep the pressure on and the industry will trend to either floating Plain Vanilla Mega-ships or Premier service smaller vessels even moreso than it is now. I will, however continue to cruise, as it remains a pleasant way to see the larger World even without the donning of formal attire. 

2 minutes ago, LocoLoco1 said:

Methinks here is how in the next several years cruising will evolve further: No more Tux’s on the Big 3’s Mega-ships.  Cruisefare$ (As advertised) on HAL, Princess, NCL, Celebrity, et al will simply get one aboardship. Lido buffet food gratis; but Omelet Sta.& Gelato, no. Poolside Burgers & fries.. $Extra$. Poolside chaise loungers/Cabana shade…$Extra$. MDR afternoon Tea, any meal with cloth napkin & Waitstaff.. $Extra$.  Happy Hr. Cashews, turndown chocolate & towel animals.. $Extra$. Corporate TA’s/PCC’s will squeeze out the independents. Lenders will keep the pressure on and the industry will trend to either floating Plain Vanilla Mega-ships or Premier service smaller vessels even moreso than it is now. I will, however continue to cruise, as it remains a pleasant way to see the larger World even without the donning of formal attire. 

If your vision of the future of cruising is what comes to pass, I will be happy to be too old to cruise. 
It sounds awful. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I wore a tux on my first HAL cruise on the Volendam in 2007 and have not worn it since.  I hope the cruise industry never goes back to formal, I enjoy the current country club casual as it is more comfortable in hot weather and cold weather. Here in San Antonio, TX we have so far 61 days over 100F this summer and I haven't been out of my shorts for months.

"Haven't been out of my shorts for months" not a pretty mental picture.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, LocoLoco1 said:

And as the Poster says not matter how poorly they treat me, I will still cruise. The beancounters love you man - No Joke

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Banditswife said:

I always make my hubby pack a sports coat, slacks & tie-- but he hates to wear them, so the coat & tie usually remain in the closet.  I wish he would have the attitude of another poster on this thread-"to please my wife."  It seems that women like getting dressed up, while most men prefer not to.  I usually wear dresses to dinner with a light weight jacket/sweater over them- I feel dressed up, while he is comfortable in his slacks & collared shirt.

Don't know the length of your relationship but there is always "The couch" until you treat me right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BigMattT said:

It’s a travesty.

I still begrudge that between the two world wars the tuxedo largely supplanted the tailcoat as standard evening wear. My TRUE formalwear has been relegated to the all too rare occasions I have to be received by royals.

How will anyone tell me apart from a footman? Or worse… from a tenant or the working class?

It’s almost as if there is a sinister force at play… working to remove the distinction between classes. Ripping privilege from our grasp! What’s next?

Soon anyone will be able to afford to cruise and pretend to be able to appreciate the finer things.

Well said. Totally agree.

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

If your vision of the future of cruising is what comes to pass, I will be happy to be too old to cruise. 
It sounds awful. 

Howevermuch the gangplank $covercharge$ may become for the Basic Cruiser, the ones availing themselves of all the extras of Butler, Corner Suite and Fine Dining on Lobster and T-bones nightly, Hydro-pools and private tours etc. have always paid Triple, Quadruple, 10X and upwards of steerage fare for THEIR experience.. not the others. My opinion is that is fair, but nonetheless it harkens to 1stClass/2nd Class arrangements from the previous 2 Centuries. If that is so.. then methinks I shall simply carry on Un-tuxed and perhaps a bit ruffled; for that is what it is becoming once again. It could be far worse I assure you; as my $99/Dollar Chandris cruise to Singapore in ‘73’ was no gala affair!!

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 10:09 AM, Haljo1935 said:

We saw 1 tux in May on Eurodam AK - Canaletto on dressy night. Young man, probably <30yo. He was accompanied by a woman in a very sleek gown who was wearing a wrist corsage. It was so cute.

So... If I am reading you correctly, a young gentleman, formally attired, was accompanied by a woman "in a very sleek gown" and she had a wrist corsage?

Say what you will, but dress nicely and buy the lady some flowers might not be as out of style as we've been led to believe.

• Like 8