Celebrity used to be a step above the rest....Not anymore

tiggypooo

Viking has really been a big step above Celebrity and we have enjoyed our 5 cruises with them. Our first Oceania and Silversea cruises are coming soon. We were really loyal to Celebrity and have done a lot of cruises with them in the past. We did an Alaska on the Solstice in June after being gone 6 years or so. We are thinking we might not be coming back especially after this latest round of cutbacks and extra charges. 

I think Celebrity is really making some bad decisions especially in their restaurants. The meals used to really set them apart from the competition. Not any more. 

we used to consider a lot of different cruise companies. Celebrity, Royal, Princess, HAL, NCL now with all the changes with the 5 lines mentioned. I don’t think barring some really unforeseen circumstance we will ever go back to one of them. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bejay219 said:

We are starting to book other lines after 21 tears loyal to Celebrity, achieved Zenith last year.  Staying in Sky Suites no longer gives us anything more than free laundry.  We will take Celebrity Transatlantic in May (may be our last one) and instead of B2B2B on Celebrity we just booked Viking (31days) to follow the Transatlantic.  Now with Delta One being outrageous we are looking into Cunard QM2 for the return trip, I was shocked at the low prices for balcony as the lower end suites were fully booked. It's only 6 days, but for 3 grand, seriously looking at this. Would love more feedback on people's experience.  Thanks! 

We cancelled X in 2018 due to downgrading and removal of forward view lounge in the newer ships as well as the physical class segregation.

Now sail Oceania, Regent, Azamara.

We just returned from a 17 day Iceland, Greenland, Nfld, Nova Scotia and Maine voyage on Oceania Insignia. Excellent voyage. There were SO many Celebrity refugees a board; at the first timers gala, the cruise director mentioned to a group of people that there were so many first time Oceania cruisers and every one of them said they had just moved from Celebrity.

This is a real movement of guests away from X - there are implications indeed.

We also enjoy Cunard indeed. Have done cruises on each of their ships. When we go to Europe, we always take the QM2 back to New York.

Next June doing a Globus land tour of Great Britain - 25 days with a return on the QM2. 

Air travel is dispiriting, especially the lack of choice of air from Canada, with the poorly rated air canada as the main choice. So we cancel air canada 50% of the time, yeh!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Bejay219 said:

We are starting to book other lines after 21 tears loyal to Celebrity, achieved Zenith last year.  Staying in Sky Suites no longer gives us anything more than free laundry.  We will take Celebrity Transatlantic in May (may be our last one) and instead of B2B2B on Celebrity we just booked Viking (31days) to follow the Transatlantic.  Now with Delta One being outrageous we are looking into Cunard QM2 for the return trip, I was shocked at the low prices for balcony as the lower end suites were fully booked. It's only 6 days, but for 3 grand, seriously looking at this. Would love more feedback on people's experience.  Thanks! 

That price for a balcony on QM2 seems amazing.  Is that pp or total?  Are you allowed to mingle with the other passengers?  🙂

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

That price for a balcony on QM2 seems amazing.  Is that pp or total?  Are you allowed to mingle with the other passengers?  🙂

Anywhere on Cunard, guests can mingle with anyone, only exception is the Grill Glass restaurants.

The rest of the ship is free flow.

Yes, there are forward views.

We have done the QM2 5x in the last decade and we always book the in hull balcony's - which has a bit more steel around you depending on the sea. 

We never book the Grills because we do not use the services nor need the "fancy" food.

We book balcony class and then pay a few $ to go to the alternative restaurants in the general Kings Court - the food is OUTSTANDING, it is a rather well kept secret on Cunard. Every evening is a different menu - seriously the best food we have ever had on a cruise ship.

Far, far better than the Grills, and fresh made and the staff are outstanding.

There is a real High Tea folks.

Cunard is a great product, some people do not like it because of the old stigma of being too formal. Not today.

Cunard has great itineraries and the guests rather are well travelled and knowledgeable. 

This is NOT a Mass cruise line. Be aware.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, QuestionEverything said:

Cunard is a great product, some people do not like it because of the old stigma of being too formal. Not today.

We are looking at doing the crossing after a 13 day Transatlantic (Celebrity) followed by 29 days Viking then 9 days land.  We were not going to take a sport coat or suiton this trip.  Can my husband get away with dress slacks and long sleeve shirt for dinners and if they have a Gala Evening and  eat somewhere else on boar tgat doesn't require a suit/tux.  We really don't want to drag that around Europe. Seen how the crossing with Cunard QM2 is only 6 days, are we really only talking about one night? 

I am sailing on the Equinox in 2 weeks, cancelled the Beyond because of IV staterooms. Haven’t been on X since January 2020, and always book Aqua class. As Elite Plus I will decide after this cruise if we will sail with X again. Booked on Azamara again for next year, sailed 4 times on Viking Ocean in the past. Always loved Celebrity and hope the changes I see are not significant. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bejay219 said:

We are looking at doing the crossing after a 13 day Transatlantic (Celebrity) followed by 29 days Viking then 9 days land.  We were not going to take a sport coat or suiton this trip.  Can my husband get away with dress slacks and long sleeve shirt for dinners and if they have a Gala Evening and  eat somewhere else on boar tgat doesn't require a suit/tux.  We really don't want to drag that around Europe. Seen how the crossing with Cunard QM2 is only 6 days, are we really only talking about one night? 

Really only a dress shirt will do, a jacket, is not necessary.

As society changes, so do the cruise lines.

We just got off Oceania Insignia Wednesday in NYC. The restaurants on Oceania far surpass Celebrity, in variety, quality etc. 

We just ADORE Cunard, and we have 2 more voyages booked. It is a different, but excellent product. 

There is NO class segmentation other than the Grill restaurants and a lounge. The rest of the ships are full access. 

Suffice it to say, we do not patronize any cruise line that segments guests.

We are itinerary driven consumers, Cunard is excellent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ebtrip said:

I am sailing on the Equinox in 2 weeks, cancelled the Beyond because of IV staterooms. Haven’t been on X since January 2020, and always book Aqua class. As Elite Plus I will decide after this cruise if we will sail with X again. Booked on Azamara again for next year, sailed 4 times on Viking Ocean in the past. Always loved Celebrity and hope the changes I see are not significant. 

Agree. Decide based on your own personal experiences not the opinions/experiences of others. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QuestionEverything said:

We just got off Oceania Insignia Wednesday in NYC. The restaurants on Oceania far surpass Celebrity, in variety, quality etc. 

We just ADORE Cunard, and we have 2 more voyages booked. It is a different, but excellent product. 

There is NO class segmentation other than the Grill restaurants and a lounge. The rest of the ships are full access. 

Thank you, appreciate your excellent insight and information. 

We are cruising with Celebrity the second time around.  After many disappointments, we left Celebrity(15 years Elite Plus) for Oceania before Covid and had some great Oceania cruises. After Covid we returned to Celebrity and enjoyed cruises so far.  We wanted to try another Oceania cruise, but had to cancel. One of the reasons was Oceania continually tightened time in port as we got closer to final payment.  We realized time available, on the ground  for the sites (one site being Petra) was ridiculously short.  We are exploring an air/land trip to accomplish 50% of the same itinerary for one fifth of the cruise cost!  I think our days of  destination cruising may be over unless the cruise lines get their act together

• Like 5

2 hours ago, QuestionEverything said:

There may not be physical segmentation on the ship per se; but that is due to the monetary segregation that prevents many Celebrity ( or Hal or Princess, etc.) clients from ever setting foot on a Cunard ship in the first place. It’s one thing to shift from a Celebrity Aqua class cabin or above to an Oceania, Viking or Cunard. It can be a budget impossibility for many sailing in inside cabins, ocean view or balconies purchased on sale on mass cruise lines.  

And I am somewhat baffled by the insistence to “not patronize any cruise line that segments guests”. Everyday entertainment and travel venues are rife with segmentation of guests: Pro sports games with their front row seats or private boxes with enhanced services and refreshments; jets with 1st class, business class and premium seats vs economy and the list goes on.  

I totally understand wanting to cruise specific lines that align with ones preferences in ship size, cuisine, itineraries, etc.  However, refusing to sail on a ship that has some physical segmentation on it strikes me as either not realizing the money disparity that prevents many from joining your cruise in the first place or preferring not to have any daily visual reminders of “class segmentation”. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ebtrip said:

We loved our Azamara cruise before Covid.  I am very nervous about them now with a new owner, a private equity firm, with no experience in the industry and the conversion of software and booking info has been a horror show.  We canceled our cruise with them and took a different itinerary with Oceania (the new Vista) for peace of mind.  We also only book Aqua because we like the food and service in Blu.  The MDR on Celebrity is below what we want on a cruise.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hubofhockey said:

We loved our Azamara cruise before Covid.  I am very nervous about them now with a new owner, a private equity firm, with no experience in the industry and the conversion of software and booking info has been a horror show.  We canceled our cruise with them and took a different itinerary with Oceania (the new Vista) for peace of mind.  We also only book Aqua because we like the food and service in Blu.  The MDR on Celebrity is below what we want on a cruise.

Agree, with the difficulties of IT. I booked with an online agency I’ve used for years, and they have included my air and hotel package. This part is not from Azamara. Final payment is due next month and I intend to get my travel insurance with default clause. You never know.  I remember when Renaissance Cruises, (which are Azamaras ships) went under. 

• Like 1

Bejay, what I just observed on Cunard last week is that dress slacks and a long sleeve shirt will suffice for casual nights in the MDR although many/most add jacket and/or tie.

On the designated formal nights you will not be allowed in the MDR or theater but can enjoy a very nice dinner in the Lido and use the Yacht Club lounge for entertainment.

So most of the time you will not have any issues.

You might look at Cunard. I just did a quick 3-day on the Queen Elizabeth, and it was very nice, and probably nicer for those who book the premium club dining and lounges. The ship and experience reminded me of HAL about a decade ago, before their own cutbacks and degradation of the cruise experience. Some of the people on the ship were going from a 10-day Alaska, around the Panama Canal, and then home to Europe. I found it refreshingly free of cutbacks or nickel-and-diming, with free room service and a wide menu, an incredible pub, luxurious afternoon tea, and an enforced dress code on gala night (those who didn't want to dress up could go to the buffet, pub for dinner, or a Lido Asian Restaurant). It's definitely more sedate than X, but it's the only supposed upscale line that hasn't been downscaling, and they are the only still to have the transatlantic ocean liner experience on Queen Mary 2. 

• Like 4

As with so many things, it's all subjective.

We've just turned 40, but even 5 years ago Royal was too theme-park for us.

We've also sailed Azamara once, and whilst it was nice and port access that a small ship gave us was great, we were also bored to death after 9pm every night.

The ultra-luxury or more traditional lines would also be too stuffy for us, so Celebrity actually sits in a somewhat perfect niche for us. Edge Class is pretty much the perfect experience for us, and we don't even do The Retreat.

Virgin would be the only other one that might fit the bill, but even that might be a bit too party vibe for us.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rj59 said:

You might look at Cunard. I just did a quick 3-day on the Queen Elizabeth, and it was very nice, and probably nicer for those who book the premium club dining and lounges. The ship and experience reminded me of HAL about a decade ago, before their own cutbacks and degradation of the cruise experience. Some of the people on the ship were going from a 10-day Alaska, around the Panama Canal, and then home to Europe. I found it refreshingly free of cutbacks or nickel-and-diming, with free room service and a wide menu, an incredible pub, luxurious afternoon tea, and an enforced dress code on gala night (those who didn't want to dress up could go to the buffet, pub for dinner, or a Lido Asian Restaurant). It's definitely more sedate than X, but it's the only supposed upscale line that hasn't been downscaling, and they are the only still to have the transatlantic ocean liner experience on Queen Mary 2. 

We have booked our first cruise on the new Cunard ship Queen Anne. We were pleasantly surprised at the price - (although they do not do all included so you need to factor in the daily service charge at least). At the time we booked Celebrity was doing a similar cruise but 3 days shorter on cruise only was £1500 more than Cunard. The X price was similar once X introduced 75% off 2nd guest. 
we like that room service is free, and even available on embarkation. It seems that it will be a relaxed experience. Looking forward to the afternoon tea and watching the ballroom dancing - which seems to be a real thing on Cunard. 
The excursions seem very well priced with a lot of choice - there are currently 82 excursions for a 14 night cruise, ranging from £49-£169. Drinks seem to be well priced. Entertainment gets good reviews. They have speciality cruises which may include the Royal Shakespeare company, the Royal ballet, and British celebrity chefs. A recent cruise had Mylene Class and Julian Lloyd Webber. All at the usual prices. 
Take a look at the Cunard pages on Cruise Critic - you will find very few complaints - a refreshing change from X boards. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Stumptowngal said:

There may not be physical segmentation on the ship per se; but that is due to the monetary segregation that prevents many Celebrity ( or Hal or Princess, etc.) clients from ever setting foot on a Cunard ship in the first place. It’s one thing to shift from a Celebrity Aqua class cabin or above to an Oceania, Viking or Cunard. It can be a budget impossibility for many sailing in inside cabins, ocean view or balconies purchased on sale on mass cruise lines.  

And I am somewhat baffled by the insistence to “not patronize any cruise line that segments guests”. Everyday entertainment and travel venues are rife with segmentation of guests: Pro sports games with their front row seats or private boxes with enhanced services and refreshments; jets with 1st class, business class and premium seats vs economy and the list goes on.  

I totally understand wanting to cruise specific lines that align with ones preferences in ship size, cuisine, itineraries, etc.  However, refusing to sail on a ship that has some physical segmentation on it strikes me as either not realizing the money disparity that prevents many from joining your cruise in the first place or preferring not to have any daily visual reminders of “class segmentation”. 

Quite simple, I will not purchase a cruise that has a "ship within a ship" concept. My choice. 

My choice again, will not purchase a cruise where there is no public forward view lounge - so the Celebrity E class is cancelled.

Money disparity ? - not an issue, it is called history and today's world and the future world.

Hope you enjoy what ever cruise you purchase, I will as well.  

On 8/29/2023 at 12:31 PM, tiggypooo said:

With all of the cutbacks and exclusions, they are on par or below the other options now.

Cruisers expect great food and service. These just don't exist anymore.

Is it now worthwhile to go to the next step and book luxury?????

Totally agree!

Can someone list what has been removed that has significantly impacted the overall cruise experience?  And if you have not sailed since these "cuts" have been introduced your opinion does not count.  

And please don't post $2 for a chocolate chip cookie, you just sound foolish.

I have been sailing for 30 years on all the "mass market" lines and many, many things have changed.  What has not changed are gorgeous ships, the ocean, someone cooking and cleaning other than me for a week, multiple entertainment options, food choices to satisfy all different types of preferences and the ability to be somewhere exotic that is not home.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, truckswain said:

Can someone list what has been removed that has significantly impacted the overall cruise experience?  And if you have not sailed since these "cuts" have been introduced your opinion does not count.  

I have been sailing for 30 years on all the "mass market" lines and many, many things have changed.  What has not changed are gorgeous ships, the ocean, someone cooking and cleaning other than me for a week, multiple entertainment options, food choices to satisfy all different types of preferences and the ability to be somewhere exotic that is not home.

Very recent thread if this helps.

20 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Bejay, what I just observed on Cunard last week is that dress slacks and a long sleeve shirt will suffice for casual nights in the MDR although many/most add jacket and/or tie.

On the designated formal nights you will not be allowed in the MDR or theater but can enjoy a very nice dinner in the Lido and use the Yacht Club lounge for entertainment.

So most of the time you will not have any issues.

Thank you for the information!  Very excited to try QM2 for our westbound crossing. 

32 minutes ago, truckswain said:

Thank you, I did read this post which was extremely detailed.

None of what was in that post has significantly impacted my cruise experience.

I thought maybe I had missed something.

Well there was the Celebrity announcement of no more toilet paper in the bathrooms.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, truckswain said:

Nice and friendly posts.  That's what I like about Cruise Critic.  😁

• Like 1