Quick wine question....new rule???

Kelownabccan

3 hours ago, pmjnh said:

@kazu, this is a point well taken,thanks. That is where we are headed this fall..If we buy a bottle in a foreign port  , will it be taken from us upon return to the ship?

Joan

I don't know if this is what you were asking, but when we purchased wine on a HAL shore excursion we were able to take it onboard without paying corkage.

• Thanks 1

When in Europe, we buy the wine (and olive oil, and tea, and some spices) but we do not pay corkage....Instead, HAL will hold the wine and then give it back to you the last night of the cruise.....To take home and enjoy.  Pack carefully.  

When onboard, we enjoy Sommelier Wine Package #1.....Fair price and good wine. 

22 hours ago, sciencewonk said:

but when we purchased wine on a HAL shore excursion we were able to take it onboard without paying corkage.

I've seen HAL excursions state you can bring wine from your HAL wine tour onboard with no corkage....after all, you've paid quite a lot for that HAL excursion.  Seems fair. 

On 9/2/2023 at 6:42 PM, Haljo1935 said:

I feel like I'm in good company with some fellow "schleppers." 🤭

Hoping to pick up a few bottles during our upcoming fall cruises to Rome.

We have a little ritual on our first night in Europe (especially Italy). We like to visit a local grocery store and pick up some meat, cheese, fresh bread and a sampling of wines. Then back to our accommodation for our very relaxed picnic dinner. The next day we can go back to the store and pick up a few of our favourites for consumption in our cabin. A great way to relax after a long overseas flight and we have a better appreciation for the wine we might like to bring along for the cruise. 

Like you I am a schlepper and a buyer. 😉

Rochelle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2023 at 7:18 PM, slidergirl said:

I took 2 bottles for myself in my carry on to the Eurodam end of April for Alaska.  I knew about the corkage fee and ready to pay.  No one said a word.  No corkage paid.  I think it's maybe a roll of the dice who is doing the checking at the time.

here is my…scorecard (?) of bringing ports as far as getting wine on board:

Vancouver-corkage fee

venice- confiscated (this was at height of C.19, and we actually were bussed to trieste at last min and all was chaos, so I forgive this one!)

FLL- no one noticed in carry on either time 

Seward AK - someone even said “be careful” when they noticed the glass, but no charge

Quebec City- corkage fee

Its totally a crapshoot based on port, security staff, and conditions at the time. 

may the odds be in your favor! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Eventually this will become a liability issue for the cruise lines, and nothing will be permitted at all.

At present the HIA or pay as you go will cut you off after fifteen alcoholic drinks. Should something happen as a result of people bringing and or smuggling wine / alcohol on board, and the American propensity to sue for the slightest reason then this too will go the way of the Dodo.

The reason I bring this up is I was reading about a passenger who disappeared off a RCL ship fifteen years ago - passengers claiming absinthe was involved - not sold on board - somehow brought on board blah, blah, blah. At the end of the day, potential liability could be a game changer.

5 hours ago, RD64 said:

...At present the HIA or pay as you go will cut you off after fifteen alcoholic drinks. Should something happen as a result of people bringing and or smuggling wine / alcohol on board...

Speaking for nobody other than myself - I'm not smuggling anything onboard. I only take wine as it's what is allowed and I always declare it. Collection of corkage is up to the ship - if they were to ask (haven't yet), I would pay.

I don't bring wine on to skirt a daily drink limit, I do it because I like the specific wine.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Speaking for nobody other than myself - I'm not smuggling anything onboard. I only take wine as it's what is allowed and I always declare it. Collection of corkage is up to the ship - if they were to ask (haven't yet), I would pay.

I don't bring wine on to skirt a daily drink limit, I do it because I like the specific wine.

+1

Surprised this thread still going....lol.......I may even try to bring on a six pack of beer in my carry on....wife likes wine....I like the beer....Heineken of course on this cruise...........this is all moot for us anyways as this is the first cruise we have done the "all in package".....but apparently to have a drink in your room I have to run to the bar and then carry back???....and If wife wants a glass of wine what about getting two drinks ....will they allow that???

36 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

Surprised this thread still going....lol.......I may even try to bring on a six pack of beer in my carry on....wife likes wine....I like the beer....Heineken of course on this cruise...........this is all moot for us anyways as this is the first cruise we have done the "all in package".....but apparently to have a drink in your room I have to run to the bar and then carry back???....and If wife wants a glass of wine what about getting two drinks ....will they allow that???

As long as you aren’t over your 15 drink limit, you can bring as many glasses of wine or bottles of beer back to your room as your heart desires. The same applies to Happy Hour if you don’t have a drink package. DH buys four Diet Coke to take to the cabin, and they bring him a box for it. I get two glasses of wine - the second is to take to the MDR. 
One of our party had the HIA package, and went over the 15 drink limit several times. They never cut her off, they just charged the extra drinks to her account. I’m guessing if someone is visibly intoxicated, then they might cut off service, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

Wine is a roll of the dice.  Beer is a no no!  If bringing wine onboard, even if prepared to pay corkage, I would not risk taking beer at the same time.  Lack of training may lead to confiscation of the lot.

There is no problem getting two drinks at one time on one card.  Or 4 drinks on 2 cards.  We (I 😉) have done it numerous times.  Mostly we get wine from Lido or rear Sea view bar and specifically ask for the plastic glasses as there is more 'wobble room'. 🙄

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Wine is a roll of the dice.  Beer is a no no!  If bringing wine onboard, even if prepared to pay corkage, I would not risk taking beer at the same time.  Lack of training may lead to confiscation of the lot.

There is no problem getting two drinks at one time on one card.  Or 4 drinks on 2 cards.  We (I 😉) have done it numerous times.  Mostly we get wine from Lido or rear Sea view bar and specifically ask for the plastic glasses as there is more 'wobble room'. 🙄

That is nice.....plastic and easy to carry about....nice tip

14 hours ago, WanderingTheWorld said:

Has anyone brought wine on board from a port of call? Is it confiscated until the end of the cruise? Or, can you pay the corkage fee and keep in?

You can pay corkage.  See post #25 in this thread.

• Thanks 1

On 9/3/2023 at 9:04 PM, RD64 said:

At present the HIA or pay as you go will cut you off after fifteen alcoholic drinks. Should something happen as a result of people bringing and or smuggling wine / alcohol on board, and the American propensity to sue for the slightest reason then this too will go the way of the Dodo.

Sorry (never been on HAL but considering it) - presume HIA is some sort of "Holland All-in"?   And do I take it from this that HAL limits all guest to 15 alcoholic drinks per day?  (i guess incl beer, wine, champs etc?)  TIA

18 minutes ago, mitz18 said:

Sorry (never been on HAL but considering it) - presume HIA is some sort of "Holland All-in"?   And do I take it from this that HAL limits all guest to 15 alcoholic drinks per day?  (i guess incl beer, wine, champs etc?)  TIA

HIA = Have it All. Under HIA you are allowed 15 alcoholic drinks, or a combined total of 15 alcoholic, specialty coffees, cans of pop, bottles of water, and I believe freshly squeezed juice. 

My understanding is that if you try to purchase that 16th alcoholic beverage the system will cut you off (where the ship’s liability kicks in). If your 16th is pop, water, specialty coffee, you will be charged for the 16th - I will say this is fact because this happened to me last month for a bottle of Perrier - $3.75 + gratuity.

18 hours ago, RD64 said:

HIA = Have it All. Under HIA you are allowed 15 alcoholic drinks, or a combined total of 15 alcoholic, specialty coffees, cans of pop, bottles of water, and I believe freshly squeezed juice. 

My understanding is that if you try to purchase that 16th alcoholic beverage the system will cut you off (where the ship’s liability kicks in). If your 16th is pop, water, specialty coffee, you will be charged for the 16th - I will say this is fact because this happened to me last month for a bottle of Perrier - $3.75 + gratuity.

Thanks and good to know....

21 hours ago, RD64 said:

HIA = Have it All. Under HIA you are allowed 15 alcoholic drinks, or a combined total of 15 alcoholic, specialty coffees, cans of pop, bottles of water, and I believe freshly squeezed juice

If you upgrade to the Elite package non-alcoholic will no longer count against your 15, with the added benefit of upgrading the wines available (or other drinks).  Might be a $5 or $10 a day difference.