Quick wine question....new rule???

Kelownabccan

Just downloaded our boarding passes and noticed this in the Alcohol Policy section....going on a cruise out of Amsterdam in a couple of weeks

guests 21 and over may bring wine on board, however a corkage fee of USD $20 will be applied to each bottle???

For years we have been able to take on two bottles with no problem in our carry on luggage.....is this a new rule that is enforced or just one of those they say to discourage people to bring two "free bottles for their cabin"...

I see they also say at the bottom.....allowance of 12 cans or 6 bottles of water are allowed.....per stateroom.....

but...get this.....in the same paragraph......up a few sentences.....items such a sodas, energy drinks etc are not allowed on board in any from and water in plastic bottles will not be allowed on board in any quantity, including in ports of call....

whoever wrote this needs a proof reader....lol

anyways....what about the free two bottles of wine....

Ken

As to water, cans and glass bottles are permitted. Plastic is not permitted at all.

The corkage fee policy was adopted a couple of years ago. I suppose catching it at boarding, regardless of where one intended to drink said wine, prevents “leaks” of money.

• Like 2

There hasn’t been free bottles of wine since re-opening after covid (approximate timing - happened shortly after in any case).

All wine is subject to corkage fee.  that being said some people have reported not being charged but it’s hit or miss.  Best bet is to count on paying $20 per bottle if you are bringing it on board.

• Like 2

Thanks...for the link to the previous blog....seems to be a trendy topic........we have not cruised for about four years with all the problems in the world.....last one was out of San Diego on HAL....took on two bottles and had no problem.....I see it seems to be hit and miss I guess.....what may happen............will try on the Amsterdam one and see ......nice to have a glass on wine on the balcony....lol.....

maybe they are not so picky about it in Europe....

Ken

I took 2 bottles for myself in my carry on to the Eurodam end of April for Alaska.  I knew about the corkage fee and ready to pay.  No one said a word.  No corkage paid.  I think it's maybe a roll of the dice who is doing the checking at the time.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

Thanks...for the link to the previous blog....seems to be a trendy topic........we have not cruised for about four years with all the problems in the world.....last one was out of San Diego on HAL....took on two bottles and had no problem.....I see it seems to be hit and miss I guess.....what may happen............will try on the Amsterdam one and see ......nice to have a glass on wine on the balcony....lol.....

Ken

You are still free to drink wine on the balcony, of course -- either purchased from HAL (separately or as part of a drinks package) or by paying the $20 per bottle.  As discussed elsewhere, you can also bring leftover wine purchased in the dining room back to your cabin so it's handy (along with a deoxygenator to keep it preserved properly). 

On a longer cruise, those costs can obviously add up to a significant sum. 

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I took 2 bottles for myself in my carry on to the Eurodam end of April for Alaska.  I knew about the corkage fee and ready to pay.  No one said a word.  No corkage paid.  I think it's maybe a roll of the dice who is doing the checking at the time.

I was on that same cruise and had same experience  - wine was in carry-on and it got scanned. Guy asks "you've got 2 bottles of wine?"

"Yes, we do." 

"OK, great."

We did not pay corkage. But we would have if told as that's the policy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

Ken

We cruised out of San Diego last October.  We had four bottles of wine and were ready to pay the corkage, but there wasn't anywhere to declare it and no one asked, so no corkage charge for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sciencewonk said:

We cruised out of San Diego last October.  We had four bottles of wine and were ready to pay the corkage, but there wasn't anywhere to declare it and no one asked, so no corkage charge for us.

Cruised on Westerdam out of Sydney last January. Had to pay USD20 x 2 before boarding. My two bottles of wine each had a sticker attached to indicate corkage had been paid. Was a little ticked off later to see that 18% gratuity had been charged on the $40. A trip to CS desk fixed that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

My wine we enjoy bringing onboard costs less than the corkage fee.  Not sure what that says about our taste. 😃

9 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

Same here.....actually there are lots of nice wines for $10 or so....quite drinkable.....lol

Not much sense in bringing those on board as they will cost you approx $30 ($10 for wine + $20 corkage) and a comparable wine on board can usually be purchased for approx $32-$33.  Schlepping your wine halfway across America to save $2 seems a bit useless.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Cruised on Westerdam out of Sydney last January. Had to pay USD20 x 2 before boarding. My two bottles of wine each had a sticker attached to indicate corkage had been paid. Was a little ticked off later to see that 18% gratuity had been charged on the $40. A trip to CS desk fixed that.

That shows how irregularly this policy is enforced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

Not much sense in bringing those on board as they will cost you approx $30 ($10 for wine + $20 corkage) and a comparable wine on board can usually be purchased for approx $32-$33.  Schlepping your wine halfway across America to save $2 seems a bit useless.

I agree . The wine packages on board , in the long run, will run about the same cost...less if one has a mariners discount. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pmjnh said:

I agree . The wine packages on board , in the long run, will run about the same cost...less if one has a mariners discount. 

True; however, being a self professed "wine schlepper," bringing bottles ensures I have what I enjoy as out of stock has recently been an issue.

I will also buy wine onboard when there is one I like or would like to try.

So I do both - schlep wine and buy wine from HAL. And as 4* I do appreciate the discount. 

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

49 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

True; however, being a self professed "wine schlepper," bringing bottles ensures I have what I enjoy as out of stock has recently been an issue.

I will also buy wine onboard when there is one I like or would like to try.

So I do both - schlep wine and buy wine from HAL. And as 4* I do appreciate the discount. 

We  have seen wines we are enjoying run out during a cruise.  Tried something else and amazingly 2 days later, they found some of the original wine that did last us till debarkation.  

I need to become friends with a 4 or 5 star 🙂

9 minutes ago, shipshape sam said:

We  have seen wines we are enjoying run out during a cruise.  Tried something else and amazingly 2 days later, they found some of the original wine that did last us till debarkation.  

We have been lucky so far...my favorite wine has been available on my last 3 cruises..keeping fingers crossed for our upcoming med /TA  🍷cheers!

4 minutes ago, pmjnh said:

We have been lucky so far...my favorite wine has been available on my last 3 cruises..keeping fingers crossed for our upcoming med /TA  🍷cheers!

And, play along with me here, if you learned it wouldn't be available, would you "schlep" a couple bottles with you?

17 minutes ago, shipshape sam said:

I'm 4* - you're welcome to be my new bff but I'm a "schlepper," lol. And a buyer 🤭

9 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

And, play along with me here, if you learned it wouldn't be available, would you "schlep" a couple bottles with you?

Well, it would depend...domestically (USA) , yes...in a foreign port city probably not....unless i got to taste it first

Before the pandemic, truth be told, we did schlepp

Edited by pmjnh
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, pmjnh said:

Well, it would depend...domestically (USA) , yes...in a foreign port city probably not....unless i got to taste it first

Before the pandemic, truth be told, we did schlepp

The one place I tend to bring wine on board is in Spain, Italy, France, etc where they wonderful unique wines that I can’t get here or on board the ship.  I’m generally happy with HAL’s choices but it is nice to “savour the flavour” of the places you are visiting. 😊 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

When we do not have a drinks package, my husband and I always bring wine with us. However, we buy at the port of embarkation. Before leaving home, we use Google Maps to scope out the area surrounding our Airbnb or hotel. Then, we visit a nearby grocery/convenience/liquor store to make our purchases. It is a fun pre-cruise adventure!

When we've cruised out of Europe, it is even better because we get to bring the local wines along. Plus, you get more bang for your buck (euro) in Europe than in the States.

Thanks to everyone who has shared their recent experiences with bringing wine at embarkation!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

The one place I tend to bring wine on board is in Spain, Italy, France, etc where they wonderful unique wines that I can’t get here or on board the ship.  I’m generally happy with HAL’s choices but it is nice to “savour the flavour” of the places you are visiting. 😊 

@kazu, this is a point well taken,thanks. That is where we are headed this fall..If we buy a bottle in a foreign port  , will it be taken from us upon return to the ship?

Joan

1 minute ago, pmjnh said:

@kazu, this is a point well taken,thanks. That is where we are headed this fall..If we buy a bottle in a foreign port  , will it be taken from us upon return to the ship?

Joan

Not if you are willing to pay the corkage fee, Joan.

One time (and I have a lot of cruise days so it’s rare) the steward didn’t know &  wanted to take it.  DD DH and I both said no - we’ll pay the corkage.  He looked perplexed so we told him to get a supervisor.  We told him we were taking our wine to our room - long story short - we did 🙂 

Some of the good wines in Europe are not that pricey but if we could get them here, they would cost a lot more.  I’m not passing up a white Rioja if I find it 😃 

• Thanks 1