Laundry facilities on Rotterdam??

Kelownabccan

Wife just bought some "tide pods".....and I said what for......to wash a few things on the three week cruise she says......but I said I do not think there is a laundry room on the ship.....looked at the ship plan and could not see one......if not just use the ships laundry service....I guess....I think she was thinking that they all would have one.....on some of our Princess ones she did some washing....and maybe even the older HAL ships???.....am I wrong???

Leave the "tide pods" at home and welcome aboard Holland America Line.....Enjoy the laundry service...it's excellent....by the bag or daily service....It's against the law (JK for the literal folks) to do laundry on vacation on Holland America Line.....

Enjoy the journey....and enjoy not doing laundry.

• Like 7

No laundry facilities any longer. Their laundry service is wonderful though. You can fill a bag and send it out or choose to purchase the unlimited which includes pressing. For a 7 day cruise it is $59.50. It is listed under packages and gifts.

Edited by love4trvl
spelling

27 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

Wife just bought some "tide pods".....and I said what for......to wash a few things on the three week cruise she says......but I said I do not think there is a laundry room on the ship.....looked at the ship plan and could not see one......if not just use the ships laundry service....I guess....I think she was thinking that they all would have one.....on some of our Princess ones she did some washing....and maybe even the older HAL ships???.....am I wrong???

No self-service on HAL, "just" an excellent and quick laundry service. However, if your wife does want to occasionally do a hand wash of anything, I would recommend putting some detergent sheets in a good zip-lock bag. I use a small strip of a sheet to do a hand wash. Touch them only with dry hands as they dissolve quickly. TIP: Packing -- they're flat, pack easily, and take up basically no space. Most stores have them, I think, in the detergent area (I know Kroger stores carry them among others.) They come in a flat cardboard package. Much better than pods for travel.

• Like 2

HAL's laundry service is excellent - it's amazing how many items can be crammed into a laundry bag and, depending on which part of the World you are cruising (or so it seems),  it varies between $25-$35 to have it laundered and pressed and returned folded or on hangers within 24 hours, in our experience.  However, there's nothing to stop Mrs K hand washing undies and other small items and hanging them on the expandable washing line in your shower.  They seem to dry overnight most times.  Forget the chores, Mrs K, take a break. 🙂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, love4trvl said:

No laundry facilities any longer. Their laundry service is wonderful though. You can fill a bag and send it out or choose to purchase the unlimited which includes pressing. For a 7 day cruise it is $59.50. It is listed under packages and gifts.

Does the unlimited laundry package also include unlimited ironing/pressing?

Oops, I just saw, from the post above that it does.  No need to answer.

Edited by Toofarfromthesea
  • Like 1

Jumping in here in support of HAL laundry service - that team does fabulous work, even handling special requests. 

Please remember them as you distribute any end of cruise additional tips - you can just put it in the last bag. And also enjoy a leisurely unpacking when you get home - clothes go straight from suitcase to closet, bypassing the washer. 🙂

• Like 3

The bathroom "body wash" dispenser works just fine for a few suds, if you want to wash a few  things in the sink. No need to haul extra detergent.

There is also a retractable clothes line in the tub area, if you cabin has one.  Not sure with the cabins that have showers only. May still exist since they still use the same tub space. 

Another trick is to bring some "rare earth" magnets that have hooks, and attach them to the metal ceiling, in front of the ventilation outlets.  Hang the items on your cabin hangers on these hooks and they dry pretty fast.  We use this method to also dry out our shoes if we get caught in the rain. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, love4trvl said:

For a 7 day cruise it is $59.50

I think this depends on the itinerary. Just looked at my cruise in May 2024 and it listed $73.50.
Would have considered it for 59, but I think I'll do mine by the bag if I need it. Still unsure of the costs of that as well. I've heard 20 and 30 floating around.

laundry.png

2 hours ago, ConanD said:

I think this depends on the itinerary. Just looked at my cruise in May 2024 and it listed $73.50.
Would have considered it for 59, but I think I'll do mine by the bag if I need it. Still unsure of the costs of that as well. I've heard 20 and 30 floating around.

laundry.png

Laundry is priced higher in Europe and other places outside of North America.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ConanD said:

laundry.png

As @kazu said, laundry price is higher in Europe and other cruises outside No America, so that could be impacting the price you're seeing. That is for both the per bag and unlimited options. The per bag price for your ship is only visible once onboard.

I've used the per bag a lot and it's still helpful in reducing the amount as pack. If you roll then stack clothes before putting into the bag, you can fit a lot in one bag, so even if it's $35, it can be a deal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

.......and just a reminder to keep cruising with Holland America Line because at 4*s, it's FREE. 

So far, I truly believe that was the most exciting part of becoming 4*. Although half price "fancy" coffee is a very close second.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

Can you bring a bucket with a very long rope ?

🤣

Only kidding have a great cruise 🛳️

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

So far, I truly believe that was the most exciting part of becoming 4*. Although half price "fancy" coffee is a very close second.

Understood.....

FREE laundry and half price WINE has motivated me for many years....Our next cruise will be our first w/4 stars so we will be boarding like we own it very soon.....It took us 21 years to reach 4 stars...much better achievement than anything I ever got from work!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

There is also a retractable clothes line in the tub area, if you cabin has one.  Not sure with the cabins that have showers only. May still exist since they still use the same tub space. 

The large (tub-length) shower in our Vista Suite on K'dam did have the pull-out clothesline. Pic #5 in this gallery shows it, way up high:

https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/4111-koningsdam/

I don't remember if the short/square shower-only on Observation Deck of Zuiderdam had a clothesline option.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

I don't remember if the short/square shower-only on Observation Deck of Zuiderdam had a clothesline option.

All of the ones I've stayed in or seen have had a clothesline, including the tiny shower-only w/curtain my sister had in an inside cabin.

Not saying all showers do, just that I haven't seen any w/o.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Wow....so many comments......a trendy item...lol.......I am sure Mrs. K....haha will figure things out......I am sure for three weeks I will be doing some washing in the sink....have done that before....like the idea "use the body wash".....saves taking soap....

Ken

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CecilCtyCruiser said:

Most of my slacks can't go in the dryer. Do they offer an option for °hang to dry" or "wash only, no dryer"?

Sure you can ask for wash only - hang to dry.  Be specific in your comments section and it should be a non issue.