Laundry facilities on Rotterdam??

Kelownabccan

39 minutes ago, kazu said:

Sure you can ask for wash only - hang to dry.  Be specific in your comments section and it should be a non issue.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping for. 

We'll be gone for a while, and I can't afford for them to shrink my clothes.  It happened once on a Carnival cruise, and it was not a good thing, especially since things were already tight from gaining weight on the trip🙂!  I've been afraid to trust them ever since, and generally wash things myself if the ship has a guest laundry, but this ship does not so I'm kind of stuck.

Hey @CecilCtyCruiser HAL laundry does a great job and will honor special requests - just include notes in the laundry bag. You can have items folded or hung, dried or hung dry. You can also use 2 bags, for example, 1 for cold wash/hang dry and another for med wash/dry/fold.

I will be using laundry on upcoming 14 day Carnival cruise and am very anxious...

12 minutes ago, CecilCtyCruiser said:

Thanks, that's what I was hoping for. 

We'll be gone for a while, and I can't afford for them to shrink my clothes.  It happened once on a Carnival cruise, and it was not a good thing, especially since things were already tight from gaining weight on the trip🙂!  I've been afraid to trust them ever since, and generally wash things myself if the ship has a guest laundry, but this ship does not so I'm kind of stuck.

HAL does a wonderful job on laundry.  Believe me I have a number of things that would shrink if they didn’t follow my instructions.  I get a lot of stuff dried in low heat and have never had a problem.  It’s one of the best features of HAL.  I’ve been on ships that are “a class above HAL” and they can’t match their laundry service.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CecilCtyCruiser said:

I've been afraid to trust them ever since, and generally wash things myself if the ship has a guest laundry, but this ship does not so I'm kind of stuck.

I washed everything myself on a 26-day TransAtlantic + Mediterranean, including man's khakis, before I learned from @kazu and others on here, about how good HAL laundry is. Can't wait to try the hang-dry option on our 35-day cruise next year!

Just allow for hang-dry to take an extra day to be returned to you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I washed everything myself on a 26-day TransAtlantic + Mediterranean, including man's khakis, before I learned from @kazu and others on here, about how good HAL laundry is. Can't wait to try the hang-dry option on our 35-day cruise next year!

Just allow for hang-dry to take an extra day to be returned to you.

Finding this out makes me so happy, it will be so much easier.

If I ask for them to hang dry, will they  press them?  Or do I have to ask?

Edited by CecilCtyCruiser
Add to question

20 hours ago, CecilCtyCruiser said:

Finding this out makes me so happy, it will be so much easier.

If I ask for them to hang dry, will they  press them?  Or do I have to ask?

It should be automatic since you're hanging, but good to note just to be safe. Just don't select it on the Pressing portion to avoid overcharge. 

On 9/1/2023 at 1:04 PM, Haljo1935 said:

So far, I truly believe that was the most exciting part of becoming 4*. Although half price "fancy" coffee is a very close second.

Perhaps a tie.  But I think we save a few more dollars on laundry unless you drink a great deal of coffee!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Marelaine said:

With those prices, it's tempting to buy the unlimited package and have all my clothes cleaned before the end of the cruise. It would be wonderful to not have all that laundry to do when we get home.

We've done that every cruise since we discovered unlimited. Truly has changed how we pack and the post-cruise stress. Especially on cruises when I have to work the day after we get home.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Truly has changed how we pack and the post-cruise stress.

Yes, as well as how I plan pre-post- cruise travel.  If I have a week of pre-cruise travels I show up on ship with a bag of mostly dirty laundry.  For post-cruise touring, we have all clean things to last another week=ten days before we get home.

The only thing I wish was that laundry tags were easier to remove and not on seams where they pull threads!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CNSJ said:

Yes, as well as how I plan pre-post- cruise travel.  If I have a week of pre-cruise travels I show up on ship with a bag of mostly dirty laundry.  For post-cruise touring, we have all clean things to last another week=ten days before we get home.

+1

Our strategy as well.....We now travel with a carry on bag and a backpack.  We are able to shlep our stuff right to the stateroom, avoid check baggage fees and can easily handle the steps and train rides along the way.  And we have clean clothes pre-cruise, onboard and post-cruise.

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

+1

Our strategy as well.....We now travel with a carry on bag and a backpack.  We are able to shlep our stuff right to the stateroom, avoid check baggage fees and can easily handle the steps and train rides along the way.  And we have clean clothes pre-cruise, onboard and post-cruise.

I regret that we don't seem to travel as light!  We have too many clothes, but they are clean!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 5 weeks later...

This is our first “longer” cruise on a ship without self serve laundry and honestly it’s a real draw back for me.  I have a question that most of you will think is ridiculous but here goes…..when you send out a bag of laundry is it done on its own or thrown into the ginormous machines with other people’s clothes?  

34 minutes ago, kruzin2010 said:

This is our first “longer” cruise on a ship without self serve laundry and honestly it’s a real draw back for me.  I have a question that most of you will think is ridiculous but here goes…..when you send out a bag of laundry is it done on its own or thrown into the ginormous machines with other people’s clothes?  

I don't know the answer to that, but HAL's laundry service has a reputation for excellence.  If you go on YouTube there are videos of the laundry operation on cruise ships and I'd guess the clothes are commingled, yet they know whose is whose.  The machines they have are pretty amazing.

• Like 1

The laundry service is amazing. I don't know for sure but I would suggest they put everything in the "ginormous machines". Be aware of the sheer scope of the laundry being done. They put little tags on everything, we are still finding little tags on things.

I'm not sure what your concern is but we were more than happy with the service and used it fully. We will also use it every time we cruise with HAL. Who wants to do laundry on vacation when there is an inexpensive professional service available.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kruzin2010 said:

In ginormous machines with other passengers' items requiring the same wash temp.

image.jpeg.2fc1a13599614ed17b9fa1f87cc6d30b.jpeg

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, kruzin2010 said:

Thanks. Makes sense.  Was just wondering. 

After several hundred loads of HAL laundry, nothing has been lost, damaged, or shrunk (write "wash cold and dry low" on the laundry list).  Pack for four days and enjoy clean clothes every day with no loss of vacation time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1