Gelato and Galateria and Princess Plus and Premier

justhavingfun

Hello, I know the Premium Desserts at $12 are included. Are other items on the menu included such as Gelato scoops and Sundaes. I ask because these are priced lower than the $12 Premium Desserts?   If you have Princess Plus ( 2 items per day) or Premier (unlimited) can you order anything on the menu for for free or just Premium Desserts under the Princess Plans/

Edited by justhavingfun
to clarify

• justhavingfun changed the title to Gelato and Galateria and Princess Plus and Premier

Technically, no.  Only the sundaes are included; the only flavor of gelato in the sundaes as they come listed is vanilla and you can't change the flavor.  Most times the crew making the sundaes have no problem just giving you two scoops of vanilla gelato if you ask.  On some ships, you might able to swap the sundae for a slice of cake, if the venue has them.  (Doesn't work on the Majestic Princess because it has no Gelato; and on the Royal Princess in April, Gelato had no premium slices of cake.)  If the crew is extra generous and you are nice, they will allow to get 3 scoops of any flavor gelato.  YMMV with this option.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, justhavingfun said:

Hello, I know the Premium Desserts at $12 are included. Are other items on the menu included such as Gelato scoops and Sundaes. I ask because these are priced lower than the $12 Premium Desserts?   If you have Princess Plus ( 2 items per day) or Premier (unlimited) can you order anything on the menu for for free or just Premium Desserts under the Princess Plans/

I was on the Emerald earlier this month. Emerald has a gelato bar at the International Cafe. I asked if I could get scoops of gelato as a ‘premium dessert’. Was told No, if I wanted gelato scoops I would be charged and told, I can get the premium desserts up on the Lido deck at coffee and cones by Slice. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, wallyj said:

I was on the Emerald earlier this month. Emerald has a gelato bar at the International Cafe. I asked if I could get scoops of gelato as a ‘premium dessert’. Was told No, if I wanted gelato scoops I would be charged and told, I can get the premium desserts up on the Lido deck at coffee and cones by Slice. 

I wonder if coffee and cones have real gelato for the premium dessert?

If so, I hope you can order the premium desert and say hold the rest of the garbage you put on the gelato 🙂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZjohn said:

I wonder if coffee and cones have real gelato for the premium dessert?

If so, I hope you can order the premium desert and say hold the rest of the garbage you put on the gelato 🙂 

On the Emerald this month, I saw a passenger request a bowl of just some of the toppings, like the  chocolate candy and Carmel corn and was accommodated . They only have vanilla, pretty sure they use the same scoop stuff to make the mocha milkshake.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hello

My husband and I will be going on a Cruise to Alaska in late May with Grand Princess. I have Celiac Disease and won't be able to eat any of the Premiere Desserts. I was wondering if plain gelato is included in either package (Plus and Premiere). I tried to search the Internet and the answer is NO according to two sources. Is that correct?

1 hour ago, Cerbiattina said:

Hello

My husband and I will be going on a Cruise to Alaska in late May with Grand Princess. I have Celiac Disease and won't be able to eat any of the Premiere Desserts. I was wondering if plain gelato is included in either package (Plus and Premiere). I tried to search the Internet and the answer is NO according to two sources. Is that correct?

You've received a couple of answers in your other thread...

• Like 1

We were on the Crown in Dec/Jan and I was always able to get 2 scoops of chocolate gelato  at Coffee and Cones, no extra charge.  We had the Plus Package but no one ever asked for a room number or even looked at a screen to see if Medallion showed.  

• Like 1

It depends. Some people have had good luck asking for just the gelato or even just not putting all the stuff in a premium dessert (so it's just gelato, syrup, and whipped cream). And other people have not.

I *think* that the only thing with wheat in the premium desserts is the cake and if there is something like a pretzel stick in there. So depending on how sensitive you are, you could just pick them off (they are on top and easy to remove) if you are on a ship where they refuse to just give you gelato. But hopefully, they will be easy and just give you some gelato.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cerbiattina said:

Zero tolerance, 100% sensitive. I get sick for 2 weeks for any cross-contamination. Toppings have wheat products, sadly.

Just ask to hold the items you don't want.  Hold the candy, suckers, cake, and whatever else, leave you with gelato and perhaps some sauce if that is okay.

• Like 1

Usually sauces have wheat products as thickening agent, unless the bottle clearly says gluten-free. That is why earlier I was asking about plain gelato being inclded in a package, because Princess says their plain gelato is gluten free.

• Like 1

Just off the Discovery Princess and they would ONLY let us get those monster sundaes. I did have success JUST asking for whipped cream with the brownie on top, but the supposed "gelato" was icy and gross.

The employee didn't get "gelato" out of the case, but bent down and scooped it out of a giant container -- I think it was cheap ice cream, because it certainly didn't look or taste like real (creamy, rich) gelato. Just be aware of that.

I only got one and never again. It was so gross -- and I LOVE desserts, LOL.

Edited by moviegal
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, moviegal said:

Just off the Discovery Princess and they would ONLY let us get those monster sundaes. I did have success JUST asking for whipped cream with the brownie on top, but the supposed "gelato" was icy and gross.

The employee didn't get "gelato" out of the case, but bent down and scooped it out of a giant container -- I think it was cheap ice cream, because it certainly didn't look or taste like real (creamy, rich) gelato. Just be aware of that.

I only got one and never again. It was so gross -- and I LOVE desserts, LOL.

That’s really too bad. I will be on Discovery on Saturday. I will try a similar attempt to get something other than the … “premium” dessert abomination. 🤞🏽

• Like 1

We have the Premium package. I have never eaten gelato, and definitely want to try it. Hopefully (as someone mentioned) since I have no clue what it taste like, they won't give me something else to substitute it.

• Like 2

Here is my La Dolce Vita from last week on the Discovery. I only had this one and I asked them to take off the marshmallows. It was very good and not as big as the photos seem. I didn’t know that the outside sprinkles and chocolate was just a decoration. 😩 I didn’t get the cake, but they looked great. 

FullSizeRender-compressed.jpeg

FullSizeRender(1)-compressed.jpeg

FullSizeRender(2)-compressed.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, New2cruise2022 said:

That’s really too bad. I will be on Discovery on Saturday. I will try a similar attempt to get something other than the … “premium” dessert abomination. 🤞🏽

No worries, the workers are great and they will work with what you want . Just be nice. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

CruzDayz, I finally got to eat some of it in a cup and it was good. Two or 3 of my sons had the BIG desserts (the picture being shown), but my one son said he ASK for brownies, and they said it was in the "bottom," but there never was any. Guess they "forgot"?? to put it in.

• Like 1