Jim_Iain - First Non-Celebrity Cruise in 22 year - Ponant vs Celebrity Comparison

Jim_Iain

We are about 2 weeks early for the fall colors.  Just a few trees are showing color. 

Crossing an old railroad bridge was really interesting.  Local school classes painted panels. 

IMG_7043.thumb.jpeg.bde5823e23d16c76cded8eef9e02dce6.jpeg

IMG_7045.thumb.jpeg.ef212e39f846276851b56ace17b0d285.jpeg

IMG_7046.thumb.jpeg.bc5c84cd7762b8b85e6f481f332f7905.jpeg

IMG_7047.thumb.jpeg.7824e0cd22638b29c427195c131f6af4.jpeg

Remember this one of Tower Hill

IMG_7044.thumb.jpeg.ff33e86922fab9368de98c36102ba102.jpeg

• Like 10

58 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was reading that the Great Lakes is the newest cruise destination.   Last year they had 45 cruises and this year it doubled to 96.     We are really enjoying getting to know this area of the US/Canada.   

I've been eyeing the Viking Longitudinal cruises between the Great Lakes and very South America. Those look amazing! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MamaFej said:

I agree. That's neither appropriate nor fair. 

I'd agree anyway, but I may be switching to non-alcoholic wine (if any) and I would like to have the option. Do you have any non-alcoholic wines you recommend on Celebrity? I've never tried any.

As far as I know, they only carry one brand--Fre.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

IMG_7050.thumb.jpeg.3de0e5c8e615045e54962b3563048264.jpeg

Sparky!!!!

I spent quite a bit of time with Sparky the Fire Dog while volunteering at FD Open Houses over the years. He even came to my classroom during Fire Safety Week, coincidentally, on the same day PapaFej came to talk to the students about fire safety. Sadly, PapaFej had to go back to the station about ten minutes before Sparky arrived. I had hoped the two of them could meet. 😉

• Like 2

Comparison -

TV Programming -  Ponant beats Celebrity Hands down.   I posted a listing on the Ponant Forum -    80 movies,  Dozens of Chanel in French, Mostly English, Italian, Spanish and Chinese  as well as dozens of Podcasts

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Ciaranaman said:

Such bright, happy colours captured on your camera!   Thank you for the smiles this afternoon 😊.  We're having a gorgeous day, here in southern Ontario.  Looks like the northern areas are as well!

~Bernadette

I have to agree we have been lucky with the weather.    One day of light rain on departure day and beautiful  High 60 - low 70 days.   The sun feels so good and virtually no winds.

We had some medium chop in Lake Michigan but since then on Lake Huron it has been as smooth as a pond. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Jim,

I am loving your posts.  And your pictures are beautiful!

Even though I have spent my life living on the shores of Lake Erie, I would love to do this itinerary.

I would also love to see your ship transit the Welland Canal.  Do you happen to know what the schedule is for that?

Continue to enjoy!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PaulaW said:

Jim,

I am loving your posts.  And your pictures are beautiful!

Even though I have spent my life living on the shores of Lake Erie, I would love to do this itinerary.

I would also love to see your ship transit the Welland Canal.  Do you happen to know what the schedule is for that?

Continue to enjoy!

Ponant is not the best with communication of timing.    Today on our itinerary said departure would be late afternoon.    The port information on the tender this morning said Last shuttle 5:00 and departure 5:30 -  We just departed at 6:00.

I'll see if I can find out the timing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hcat said:

what a great selection of photos..doors, nature...and your comments..all lovely!

seafood buffet...NICE!

It was incredible.     When we went ashore the Chef was on on tender to source some local product -  Will be interesting to see what he found.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was reading that the Great Lakes is the newest cruise destination.   Last year they had 45 cruises and this year it doubled to 96.     We are really enjoying getting to know this area of the US/Canada.   

It is beautiful. I probably take it for granted. Mackinac is spectacular. Can’t beat fresh water. Have a blast!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MamaFej said:

I highly recommend sailing through the archipelago into Stockholm on a small ship. You get amazingly close for hours, much like this.

Even on a 'large ship' it's amazing.  We did it on RCL Brilliance of the Seas in 2018 and it was amazing. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2023 at 8:14 AM, Jim_Iain said:

I have to say this area is unique in our cruise experience and really enjoying 

Only a couple trees are showing color.  

Isn’t green considered a color?🤷‍♂️🤗

It is a little early for the fall colors.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched