We board Infinity in about an hour. Let me know if you have any questions.

Stockjock

2 hours ago, Stockjock said:

They had pork sausages and chicken sausages, but I think they were more of the English type, and I really didn’t particularly enjoy either one of them.

Unfortunately as a connoisseur of the Great British banger those sausages look the cheap catering variety filled with indeterminate meat that often get served up at a greasy spoon ( cheap and cheerful diner ). I'm not surprised you didn't like them. If Mrs Baggy served them up there would be words spoken ...

Edited by Baggy178
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Stockjock said:

So long Nafpilo.  It is a tender port, maybe 15 minutes or so to get to or from the ship to the port.

There’s not a lot going on, but it’s a cute little place. Lots of shops and restaurants and things like that. But if you go here, I would say once you exit the tender, make a right, and there are a lot of bars and restaurants along the waterfront.  

In my opinion, unless you have a tour, there is no reason to rush to get off the ship. It might be a nice day to just sleep in, and then take a tender to the port at your leisure.  

I discovered that I cannot take leftovers on the ship, so unfortunately, I had to dump some nice souvlaki leftovers. Quite sad.  

Bear in mind some of the entrée portions are very large. The salad that we ordered, for example, easily fed two people, with a little bit of leftovers.

This is the last stop before we return to Athens tomorrow morning, and then we will spend three nights there.

So one last dinner, and then it will be time to pack the bags.

IMG_9713.jpeg

IMG_9712.jpeg

IMG_9711.jpeg

IMG_9710.jpeg

IMG_9709.jpeg

IMG_9695.jpeg

IMG_9696.jpeg

IMG_9697.jpeg

IMG_9700.jpeg

IMG_9691.jpeg

IMG_9702.jpeg

IMG_9703.jpeg

IMG_9704.jpeg

IMG_9707.jpeg

The Old Town of Nafplio is delightful and a firm favourite of weekending Athenians.

A true destination in its own right as well as being a cruise stop.

Great to visit our of season as well.

https://www.greecetravel.com/nafplio/

Edited by Baggy178
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

I tried very hard to spend every penny of my onboard credit. I think I did a pretty good job.

IMG_9760.png

Sincere thanks for a wonderful vicarious cruise holiday. I have enjoyed your adventures daily with my morning coffee!

Enjoy Athens, it really is a lovely city. My favourite area to sit, eat and drink watching the world go by is Plaka…I had the best moussaka ever there! I also enjoyed the local brandy Metaxa (not sure on the spelling) with coffee…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chemmo said:

Sincere thanks for a wonderful vicarious cruise holiday. I have enjoyed your adventures daily with my morning coffee!

Enjoy Athens, it really is a lovely city. My favourite area to sit, eat and drink watching the world go by is Plaka…I had the best moussaka ever there! I also enjoyed the local brandy Metaxa (not sure on the spelling) with coffee…

Thank you, here is a view from the hotel roof here in the Plaka region of Athens.

Even though the cruise portion is over, I may post a photo every now and then, but where we’re saying seems like it’s in the middle of everything.

The selfie photo was taken from the Acropolis Museum, so our hotel is actually closer to the Acropolis than the museum.

IMG_9792.jpeg

IMG_9776.jpeg

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Stockjock said:

Thank you, here is a view from the hotel roof here in the Plaka region of Athens.

Even though the cruise portion is over, I may post a photo every now and then, but where we’re saying seems like it’s in the middle of everything.

IMG_9792.jpeg

IMG_9776.jpeg

Fantastic! I will continue to follow. We cruise from Athens next September and looking for a hotel in the Plaka area. Ideally with a view like yours….Your opinions, please!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Fantastic! I will continue to follow. We cruise from Athens next September and looking for a hotel in the Plaka area. Ideally with a view like yours….Your opinions, please!

I did a YouTube video of our room and I will link to it once it’s fully uploaded.  I will say this, it was pretty cheap. I think I paid about €450 for all three nights. That’s pretty close to what I paid for one night in Venice.

Edited by Stockjock

On 9/7/2023 at 3:36 PM, comfy_critters said:

I was on Solstice earlier this year and the menus posted here were very similar except there were more choices for the starch each night, like baked potatoes, hasselback potatoes and rice. The lunches at the buffet were outstanding some of the days, better than the MDR food, with different themes each day and made-to-order stations. However, at night the food in the buffet was more like leftovers and very uninspiring, so the MDR was much better to go to for dinner. Took a Princess cruise to compare and found the shows at night and music options were much better on Princess than Solstice, but the food better on Celebrity Solstice. We'll be on Infinity in Greece next year and really appreciate seeing your reviews and menus and photos!

While not listed on the menu, I have often ordered both Baked Potatoes and Rice and always accommodated without question.    I always suggest if you want something just asked and you may be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 9:58 AM, Nebr.cruiser said:

These menus look very basic and disappointing.  Especially the lack of 'real' appetizers--mostly soups and salads which I don't consider appetizers.  I can foresee ordering lots of mains as appetizers, esp. the pastas.

Thanks to the OP for posting the menus, at least we know what to expect now.  I agree that there is a lack of appetizers.  I remember the hot egg rolls, pastas, and onion tarts of the past.  I think X has decided to make a new category called "starters" where all items including soups and salads are lumped together with any easy traditional appetizers with the idea of each diner ordering one item before the entree.  This will obviously save time and money and make the service easier for the staff.  It is not the experience we have had in the past where it was usual to order two items (hot appetizer and then a salad/soup) before the entree. Some will still order a salad and a soup from this offering but it will not be the same fun luxury experience for sure.

2 hours ago, jwlane said:

We enjoyed Hotel Attalos a couple of years ago.

2021-07-24 12.23.21.jpg

2021-07-24 13.20.40.jpg

I did a YouTube video of our room and I will link to it once it’s fully uploaded.  I will say this, it was pretty cheap. I think I paid about €450 for all three nights. That’s pretty close to what I paid for one night in Venice.

Thank you both!

I will be travelling with my son and his fiancée so ideally we would love a two bedroom suite or a one bedroom suite with lounge area with sofa bed…As my mobility is limited I would also love a balcony to savour the views whilst the younger generation enjoy the city which I fell in love with 40 years ago!

Any more suggestions greatly appreciated!

36 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Thank you both!

I will be travelling with my son and his fiancée so ideally we would love a two bedroom suite or a one bedroom suite with lounge area with sofa bed…As my mobility is limited I would also love a balcony to savour the views whilst the younger generation enjoy the city which I fell in love with 40 years ago!

Any more suggestions greatly appreciated!

I did do a video that I have uploaded to YouTube when we first checked in, but since then the power has gone off, maybe 30 or 35 times and we also had an issue in the bathroom where the water pressure caused the showerhead to drop down about 3 inches from the ceiling.

The hotel has gotten good reviews, so maybe we are cursed. But it’s starting off pretty bad even though the location is terrific. There is no one at the front desk after 4 PM and they said something along the lines of, “there is nothing I can do about it“.

I sent them a message and told them I want the electricity situation fixed promptly in the morning. Knock on wood, it’s been on for an hour or so now, but it was resetting the circuit breaker continuously, which is not what we’re after. Based upon our initial experience, I can’t recommend this place even though I love the location and the pricing is very good.

i’m going to go ahead and link to my video and you will see some good things about the hotel in the room, but do you understand that this was recorded before the power started turning on and off continuously.

CityZoe Suites Hotel Athens Greece 
https://youtu.be/yIFpZJGnzc0

Edited by Stockjock

I did do a video that I have uploaded to YouTube when we first checked in, but since then the power has gone off, maybe 30 or 35 times and we also had an issue in the bathroom where the water pressure caused the showerhead to drop down about 3 inches from the ceiling.

The hotel has gotten good reviews, so maybe we are cursed. But it’s starting off pretty bad even though the location is terrific. There is no one at the front desk after 4 PM and they said something along the lines of, “there is nothing I can do about it“.

I sent them a message and told them I want the electricity situation fixed promptly in the morning. Knock on wood, it’s been on for an hour or so now, but it was resetting the circuit breaker continuously, which is not what we’re after. Based upon our initial experience, I can’t recommend this place even though I love the location and the pricing is very good.

i’m going to go ahead and link to my video and you will see some good things about the hotel in the room, but do you understand that this was recorded before the power started turning on and off continuously.

CityZoe Suites Hotel Athens Greece 
https://youtu.be/yIFpZJGnzc0

Oh no, what a shame 😔 The shower is not your friend on this holiday!

Hope things improve quickly and thanks so much for all the information, it’s been so helpful and much appreciated. 

• Like 1

We started our cruise in Venice (Ravenna) and concluded in Athens.  One of my clients told me I’d like Athens a lot more than Venice, but I didn’t entirely believe him.  But he was right.

I’d return to Athens in a heartbeat and could easily spend a week or two here.  Venice, while beautiful, is more of a BTDT situation.

A few photos from Athens.  We fly home tomorrow morning,

IMG_9776.jpeg

IMG_9794.jpeg

IMG_9810.jpeg

IMG_9822.jpeg

IMG_9846.jpeg

IMG_9874.jpeg

IMG_9877.jpeg

IMG_9878.jpeg

IMG_9915.jpeg

IMG_9923.jpeg

IMG_9941.jpeg

IMG_9943.jpeg

IMG_9950.jpeg

IMG_9964.jpeg

IMG_9976.jpeg

IMG_9991.jpeg

IMG_9998.jpeg

IMG_9959.jpeg

IMG_0004.png

IMG_0002.jpeg

IMG_0005.jpeg

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 9

23 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

We fly home tomorrow morning,

What an awesome vacation!  You have certainly motivated me to find an itinerary with Athens in the line up.  The food pics look amazing...I wish you safe travels home and pray your flight issues do not resurface once at the airport.  Thanks for the great review!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

What an awesome vacation!  You have certainly motivated me to find an itinerary with Athens in the line up.  The food pics look amazing...I wish you safe travels home and pray your flight issues do not resurface once at the airport.  Thanks for the great review!

If you do stay in Athens, while there are many wonderful areas, I do suggest that you stay in the Plaka region.

• Like 1

The nighttime photo where the girlfriend is eating a Greek salad with the acropolis in the background is a place called Hill Athens, which was a little tricky to get to because the cab had to take sort of a windy road, but it has a really beautiful view and pretty good food.  The restaurant and view are stunning, but I thought they got a little tricky with the food, which means I’m not sure that all of the flavors worked perfectly with each other. Sometimes, you can take a traditional dish and you try to put a couple spins on it, and you spin it in the wrong direction, if that makes sense?  But we did enjoy it and the reviews are generally quite good. Maybe I’m a little too critical because my mother was Greek.

Be aware that taxi service can be tricky at times in Athens, and they may refuse fares where they feel like they’re not getting enough money or it’s not far enough away. Also, if you use Uber, Uber and the yellow taxis are basically one in the same. And we did have a situation where they were either too busy or were not picking up because the fare was too low.  So one bit of advice I would generally give is to try to find restaurants fairly close to where you’re staying aka walkable. In this case, it looked close as the crow flies, but in reality it was a fair amount farther, but we did have a hard time getting a cab. The restaurant ordered a cab to take us back to the hotel, but otherwise it might’ve been nearly impossible to get a return taxi on Saturday night. 

The restaurant with the lamb and the mashed potatoes, and the cigar shaped baklava is called Kosmikon and that is in the Plaka area near our hotel room. I thought the food was pretty good and the area is really lively.  Service was also pretty good.

Tonight’s final dinner where are you see the chicken and the moussaka I believe it’s called Dionsios, although the spelling could be a little different, perhaps with a Y in there somewhere. I thought the food was pretty good, but the service was slow. They asked me if I wanted to leave no tip, 15%, 20%, or 25% and I left zero. Given European standards, I thought a minimum-base tip of at least 15% was a little presumptuous, but particularly for the really slow and poor service that we got, and they were really not friendly or personable at all. But the restaurants is very pretty and it’s also in the Plaka area. 

there are a lot of good restaurants in every neighborhood, and while we did look at Tripadvisor in such, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with just going for a walk and looking at some menus and stopping at a cute place that looks interesting.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 2