Is HAL still offering the HIA for $50 per night?

DaveOKC

15 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

A couple of months ago I was sent an offer to purchase the HIA package for our upcoming Oct. cruise for a price of $50 per night per person.  Since then I have not seen anything on it.  

Has anyone seen this offer lately or have they actually been able to do it recently?

Generally speaking, HIA can be added to most fares. If you are booking more than a year in advance, the HIA+ should be available. It's the same fifty bucks but it's got the Elite Beverage Package & the grats. The better internet is also in the bundle.

• Like 1

Dave - you are 100% correct. Book the lowest cost fare. Add the HIA $50/pp/day back on to get the goodies and the low fare. It's pretty straightforward, but if you get stuck, let me know. (This is kind of off-topic and a bit involved for here.)

2 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

Is part of that difference the fact that the $800 involves your selecting the cabin instead of getting a guarantee for the lesser amount?

No - both cases were for a guarantee.  Figured I would add Club Orange to either one.

Just now, Ken the cruiser said:

Is a guarantee cabin booked with a nonrefundable deposit or can you book it at no additional cost with a fully refundable deposit?

Non refundable..

But I will get Insurance for $99 pp so I can cancel.

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

OTOH it sounds like a pretty good deal to us, even though we are also 4 star Mariners. On the below 21-day cruise, we each get $300 off excursions, 3 specialty dinners (1 at each for a total of $89 or $44 if 4 star), premium internet service ($35 per day), crew appreciation ($17 pp/day (if you're in a suite which I'm assuming includes a VS), premium beverage package, and a refundable deposit.

When I add it all up for a 4-star Mariner, it equates per person to $300 + $44 + $735 + $357 = $1,436, and that's not including the free premium beverage package. The difference between the two below fares, Basic and HIA, is $1,430 plus the Cruise Only fare has a nonrefundable deposit. What am I missing?

When I calculate the Premium Beverage, I consider how many alcoholic drinks per day I normally drink on a cruise, 2-3, and not the 15 maximum I could drink. Also, on some itineraries (particularly in the Caribbean) I may not wish to book any shore excursions. Make sure you are going to use all of the amenities in HIA before booking.

Edited by ChinaShrek
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Mr and Mrs CIQ said:

There is an interesting note in the T&C just in case you have to cancel a cruise that you subsequently upgraded with this HIA option. So if you're going to book a Cruise Only fare and choose to buy insurance, make sure you include the cost of the HIA upgrade.

Fares are based on Promo(s) O1. Have It All Offer code are per person per day to add the Have It All Premium Package of amenities. Offer is subject to availability. Have it All Offer Code is available for bookings, who would like to add on the HIA Amenities. This applies only to the cruise portion of Alaska Cruisetours, is not combinable with any other discounts and is not transferable or refundable. Commission, Gap and TC are based off the cruise fare. Have it all Offer Code pricing is dependent on the time of booking; bookings made prior to April 21, 2022, retain previous pricing structure. Offer is applicable only on select 2022, 2023 & 2024 departures. 

28 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

There is an interesting note in the T&C just in case you have to cancel a cruise that you subsequently upgraded with this HIA option. So if you're going to book a Cruise Only fare and choose to buy insurance, make sure you include the cost of the HIA upgrade.

Fares are based on Promo(s) O1. Have It All Offer code are per person per day to add the Have It All Premium Package of amenities. Offer is subject to availability. Have it All Offer Code is available for bookings, who would like to add on the HIA Amenities. This applies only to the cruise portion of Alaska Cruisetours, is not combinable with any other discounts and is not transferable or refundable. Commission, Gap and TC are based off the cruise fare. Have it all Offer Code pricing is dependent on the time of booking; bookings made prior to April 21, 2022, retain previous pricing structure. Offer is applicable only on select 2022, 2023 & 2024 departures. 

Yes, HIA becomes part of the fare. When I added HIA to a cruise that I had insured with HAL, I think it automatically increased the insurance.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

When I calculate the Premium Beverage, I consider how many alcoholic drinks per day I normally drink on a cruise, 2-3, and not the 15 maximum I could drink. Also, on some itineraries (particularly in the Caribbean) I may not wish to book any shore excursions. May sure you are going to use all of the amenities in HIA before booking.

That's cool. It's definitely an individual decision. In our case my DW only drinks bottled water and hot chocolate, which from what I remember bottled water is not free on HAL ships. Hot chocolate is free from what I remember if you mix it using the packages available in the buffet. Not sure if they offer a more quality product for a charge at the Dutch Cafe. If they do, she'll definitely be getting it there. For me I drink a couple of bottles of water a day, a bottle of beer in the afternoon on the balcony, a couple glasses of wine at dinner, and a triple Baileys watching the evening show in the theater. But again, doing the math the premium beverage package is pretty much "free" for us since we use the other portions of the HIA package as well.

There is also the issue of the nonrefundable deposit that comes with the Cruise Only fare. We book our cruises when they first appear and like the flexibility of switching to a better itinerary if one happens to appear in the 18-24 month timeframe before our originally booked cruise's final payment date. Booking a cruise with a NRD is just not a good idea for us long range "low stress" cruisers. 

As far as booking excursions, again that's a personal choice. But getting $100 per person for three excursions is not a bad deal, especially when you consider all of the other benefits associated with the HIA with the Early Booking Bonus. 

But then there is this super cool deal if you book a cruise within the first 90 days of being available, and from what I read both types of bookings are applicable, although I would think there would be some stress tied to having a NRD booking in place for 18-24 months prior to the FP date.

Mariner Society Early Booking Bonus | Holland America Line

Edited by Ken the cruiser

There is better "pay for" hot chocolate at the Dutch Cafe, and in the Crow's Nest.

For my recent booking, a May 2024 - 14 night cruise, HIA  comes to a little over $71pp per day!!!  I had not realized since we received it for $50 a day last May.  However, this time, it's the Premium Drink Package (versus the Elite), and the better WiFi (versus the standard), plus includes Crew Appreciation (where it did not before) and a $200 OBC.  I need to remember to take advantage of the Premium drink package by trying some drinks outside of my usual G&T, Margarita on the Rocks, Aperole Spritz, or Harvey Wallbanger. 😁  Any suggestions?  I do get a Bailey's type drink after dinner. Can I ask for better liquor brands with the Premium package?  It will be nice to have some better wines with dinner!

5 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

For my recent booking, a May 2024 - 14 night cruise, HIA  comes to a little over $71pp per day!!!  I had not realized since we received it for $50 a day last May.  However, this time, it's the Premium Drink Package (versus the Elite), and the better WiFi (versus the standard), plus includes Crew Appreciation (where it did not before) and a $200 OBC.  I need to remember to take advantage of the Premium drink package by trying some drinks outside of my usual G&T, Margarita on the Rocks, Aperole Spritz, or Harvey Wallbanger. 😁  Any suggestions?  I do get a Bailey's type drink after dinner. Can I ask for better liquor brands with the Premium package?  It will be nice to have some better wines with dinner!

You have more than made up for the $71 vs $50 pppd HIA with the gratuities and $200 OBC (I calculate that that makes the rest of the HIA $44 pppd). That doesn't take into consideration the Premium Wifi (with audio and video sites/apps not blocked) and the Elite Beverage Package.

You can ask for better brands (but most you could already have asked for) per Roger's website:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/Beverage-Package-Contents.pdf

The wines are really where the Elite stands out. 

14 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Can I ask for better liquor brands with the Premium package?  It will be nice to have some better wines with dinner!

You can ask for better liquors on either plan. HAL has to pretty reasonable alcohol prices. As long as the liquor cost is under your limit, you can have a "call" brand. If the cost is over your limit, you can pay the difference.

Edited by POA1
  • Thanks 1

Your PCC or TA can add HIA for you if it's not showing on the website. On our upcoming cruise, HIA didn't show up for months. Now it's on the trip page all the time - despite the fact that we bought the EBP standalone. The only exceptions are certain fare codes that aren't combinable with HIA. @DaveOKC

22 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Your PCC or TA can add HIA for you if it's not showing on the website. On our upcoming cruise, HIA didn't show up for months. Now it's on the trip page all the time - despite the fact that we bought the EBP standalone. The only exceptions are certain fare codes that aren't combinable with HIA. @DaveOKC

Gus sent an email last week saying HIA was now available on all cruises.  It may take a few more days to show up.  I wish I had saved the email

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I did not get his email - curious as to the distribution list.

Check your profile and make sure you are signed up to receive all emails. I had done a grand voyage last year and those were excluded and that may be the reason for the email. 

35 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Check your profile and make sure you are signed up to receive all emails. I had done a grand voyage last year and those were excluded and that may be the reason for the email. 

Yes, I am signed up for and receive emails; may likely be the Grand Voyage connection. Thanks!!

On 9/2/2023 at 8:44 PM, DaveOKC said:

A couple of months ago I was sent an offer to purchase the HIA package for our upcoming Oct. cruise for a price of $50 per night per person.  Since then I have not seen anything on it.  

Has anyone seen this offer lately or have they actually been able to do it recently?

We are cruising in November 2023.  When I go to my booking and select Package & Gifts, we are offered the Have It All for $50 per person.

• Like 1