Live From Regatta 07 Sept. - 20 Sept. 2023 Alaska to California Medley - Vancouver to LA

FetaCheese

3 hours ago, julia said:

Thx for taking us along...  we're boarding in San Pedro on the 20th!

I would like to hear about anyone's experience with Ubering to LAX at the end of your cruise please? I will check back here and ask....  thx!

In my experience Uber works reasonably well, Uber drivers like the relatively long trip, and high likelihood of a ride out of LAX.  It is however worth checking the ports America website for other ships in San Pedro in that date.  A large ship at the other berth can suck up a lot of taxi and Uber capacity.

Edited by jondfk

We are glad you started this thread. After reading a lot about Oceania, we booked this same cruise for 2024 (pre-Simply More).  Although it's 12 days and skips Juneau (Tracy's Crab Shack) and Skagway (rent a car in advance and drive to Carcross in the Yukon--Gorgeous!).  We have been to both. Celebrity Elite+ jumping ship.  Have been on several R ships before--Renaissance and Tahitian Princess, and other lines.  We had our own sailboat for 30+ years in Hawaii and Florida, and have rented canal boats in France numerous times.  Needless to say, we like the water experience.

We will be interested in all your comments about the ship and land comments.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

You will be waiting for your cabin assignment along with John Thomas, who is on for the 20-day voyage.  He has a cabin assignment for the first 13 days, but not for the 7 days.

Thanks…this is the first time we’ve had a guarantee cabin & as I understand it an assignment could be as late as embarkation day.

7 hours ago, jonthomas said:

I believe astroflyer is on the 27th, right after our Pacific coastal.

We are on the 9/27 roundtrip LA coastal cruise and would be interested in your Port of LA turnaround day experience. Being in-transit your experience will be different than ours but by knowing your times it would help me plan when to arrive at the port. Your cruise & ours show a 1300 embarkation with a 1900 sailing. Being our first O cruise (interior) trying to decide when to fight Wednesday traffic driving to the port. We’d like to start our cruise as soon as possible but don’t want to stand around too long. Based on the port’s schedule Regatta will be docked at Berth 93.

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

We did our own air as well.

We have a 12:15 flight out of LAX.

Hope it's not difficult to get Uber.

Try to reserve an Uber in advance. We were at San Pedro getting off the Regatta in May and there were no Ubers available for a short trip to a car rental agency.  There were taxis, but they may be more expensive to LAX than an Uber.  You can easily get off the ship before 9:00 a.m.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks…this is the first time we’ve had a guarantee cabin & as I understand it an assignment could be as late as embarkation day.

We are on the 9/27 roundtrip LA coastal cruise and would be interested in your Port of LA turnaround day experience. Being in-transit your experience will be different than ours but by knowing your times it would help me plan when to arrive at the port. Your cruise & ours show a 1300 embarkation with a 1900 sailing. Being our first O cruise (interior) trying to decide when to fight Wednesday traffic driving to the port. We’d like to start our cruise as soon as possible but don’t want to stand around too long. Based on the port’s schedule Regatta will be docked at Berth 93.

I am on the September 20-27, 2023  cruise. My embarkation time is 11:00 a.m.  I checked in last week. 11:00 a.m. is the earliest embarkation time, not 13:00.     

9 minutes ago, Twiga said:

I am on the September 20-27, 2023  cruise. My embarkation time is 11:00 a.m.  I checked in last week. 11:00 a.m. is the earliest embarkation time, not 13:00.     

Thanks…we can check in tomorrow (9/6) although being in Maui midnight EDT is 1800 HST so will give it a try then. 🤞 If I’m correct, the embarkation time is different than a boarding time because O boards by cabin type?

10 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks…we can check in tomorrow (9/6) although being in Maui midnight EDT is 1800 HST so will give it a try then. 🤞 If I’m correct, the embarkation time is different than a boarding time because O boards by cabin type?

Oceania boards by scheduled time (in theory), not stateroom category.  Embarkation time is the same as boarding time.  Once you get to the boarding area there are various lines for the different stateroom categories.  Just get in the line for your category.  It usually goes very quickly.  First thing you know you will be onboard!  Boarding in San Pedro has been very easy.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Twiga said:

Oceania boards by scheduled time (in theory), not stateroom category.  Embarkation time is the same as boarding time.  Once you get to the boarding area there are various lines for the different stateroom categories.  Just get in the line for your category.  It usually goes very quickly.  First thing you know you will be onboard!  Boarding in San Pedro has been very easy.  

Thanks…appreciate sharing your insights.

5 hours ago, jondfk said:

In my experience Uber works reasonably well, Uber drivers like the relatively long trip, and high likelihood of a ride out of LAX.  It is however worth checking the ports America website for other ships in San Pedro in that date.  A large ship at the other berth can suck up a lot of taxi and Uber capacity.

Ok, thx so much for the reply.  I've researched the port schedule for Wed 9/27 and it should be relatively calm that morning.  The Grand Princess will arrive (in-transit), but not until 11am.

14 hours ago, Twiga said:

Try to reserve an Uber in advance. We were at San Pedro getting off the Regatta in May and there were no Ubers available for a short trip to a car rental agency.  There were taxis, but they may be more expensive to LAX than an Uber.  You can easily get off the ship before 9:00 a.m.

I have had good luck using Lyft. Never had a wait time more than three minutes.

1 hour ago, CCBB said:

Is it pretty certain which pier the Regatta will dock? I understand that there are more than 1 cruise terminals in LA. Thank you.

Regatta will be at Pier 93 at San Pedro, called the World Cruise Center Berth 93.  There is also a Pier 92, which is just steps away.  The only other LA terminals are at Long Beach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Twiga said:

Regatta will be at Pier 93 at San Pedro, called the World Cruise Center Berth 93.  There is also a Pier 92, which is just steps away.  The only other LA terminals are at Long Beach.

I hate to be contrary but the port of Los Angeles also includes pier 46 which is a totally unimproved bare pier about 3/4 of a mile down the estuary, used on three ship days.  It’s unlucky indeed to draw that pier as your first step will be a bus ride to the pier 92/93 complex.

Oceania however seems to most typically use the original “Love Boat” terminal at pier 93.  Pity those on Viking Sky who arrive / depart pier 46.

• Like 1

A question for all experienced cruisers in / out of the LA World Cruise Center Berth 93, do you think a 12:45 pm departure flight is ok? I suppose to minimize the risks, we can carry our own luggage and go for early disembarkation. But can we order an Uber that can take us to LAX by, say, 10 am? We are flying back to Canada. 

2 minutes ago, CCBB said:

A question for all experienced cruisers in / out of the LA World Cruise Center Berth 93, do you think a 12:45 pm departure flight is ok? I suppose to minimize the risks, we can carry our own luggage and go for early disembarkation. But can we order an Uber that can take us to LAX by, say, 10 am? We are flying back to Canada. 

I would get off before  9am  & in the Uber by 9

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

I wouldn't put too much stock in what someone has posted about boarding time going by cabin class. Going on almost 30 Oceania cruises and haven't really seen that to be the case. I pretty much show up when I want to and get in line and check in. NOW, on the other hand, actually having your room ready is by Cabin Class, Top Suites first, PH, then on down. Most rooms are generally ready by 3. 

• Thanks 1