how long do I have to hold my CCL stock after recieving the shareholder credit?

charliebeagledog

I have a November Sailing that i purchased some shares to recieve the shareholder credit.  I have recieved the notification it will be applied as an onboard credit both in email and in my reservation. 

How long do I have to continue to hold CCL stock to receive this benefit?  I plan on holding shares long term but juat purchased it and it has had a good run up and technical indicators look bad short term so I was thinking of selling and rebuying at a lower price later.

Am i required to hold it until the sailing is complete?  Or can I sell it now and pick it back up when it hits my target price? 

Thanks

Feel fortunate that you bought recently- we bought the 100 shares a few years ago-pre covid- when they were $45+ per share.  So in the long run we are losers, just hoping for a good rebound.  Our broker thought we were silly to own Carnival stock, until we explained the OBC benefits.

• Like 2

According to the terms, the shareholder must own Carnival stock at the time of sailing, although no cruise line has ever checked on ours to verify that we do still own stock. 

Of course, if you sell your current 100 shares and buy back another 100 shares before sailing, that would meet the terms. However, looking at the stock’s performance and expectation charts, buyback probably wouldn’t happen before November. (Not to mention the issue with wash sale rules on income tax)

12 hours ago, K2DangerGirl said:

Wash sale rules are only if you sell at a loss.  The IRS is fine with you getting some realized gains.

Wait! You mean someone actually had a GAIN on Carnival stock??!!

I reread the original post. Evidently, I missed the "sell at a profit" statement and just assumed that the OP was in the same boat as the majority having stock that lost value. My error.

• Haha 1

True story:  we originally bought stock several years ago-maybe 15 years at about $25 per share, then the Costa Concordia disaster happened & we said we would never cruise again, so we sold for a minor profit.  Fast forward a couple of years, & of course, we are cruising again.  So we bought the 100 shares for $45+ per share.  And then Covid hit in 2020, so we are at a loss over all. 

But having the shares makes the OBC possible, so as long as we are mentally & physically fit enough to cruise, we will keep the stocks. 

• Like 3

The Shareholder OBC is a non-brainer for anyone who cruises 14 or more days per year.  At today's price of around $16 a share, that $1,600 investment will return $250 a year, thats more than a 15% return (tax free** I might add.  Sure the stock could lose part of or all its value.  But then again, we could make money along the way.  

I expect to receive over $700 in OBC from this nice benefit this year.  This along with Military OBC, and now AAARP OBC, keep me loyal to HAL.  And then there is free laundry for 4 Stars......

** The IRS will likely go after us for the $250 since I wrote this....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Banditswife said:

then the Costa Concordia disaster happened & we said we would never cruise again

Others have said the same thing, but I am glad you returned to cruising.  That was a very unfortunate incident, and thank God of the more than 4,000 souls aboard more didn't perish than sadly did.  

I do believe that the HAL officers are very professional and take their jobs seriously.  I have had good conversations with ship's senior officers and feel they are superb mariners. 

• Like 2

I bought CCL when it was low. Haven’t sailed on their ships in years.  Just booked our first HAL for May 2025 but says OBC is for sailings prior to July 2024 if I remember correctly.  Hoping this will get updated and can take advantage of the OBC. I also purchased RCCL shares and have gotten the OBC many times. 

7 minutes ago, gfkcruiser said:

I bought CCL when it was low. Haven’t sailed on their ships in years.  Just booked our first HAL for May 2025 but says OBC is for sailings prior to July 2024 if I remember correctly.  Hoping this will get updated and can take advantage of the OBC. I also purchased RCCL shares and have gotten the OBC many times. 

It just has to be approved by the board annually - in July each year.

It appears safe that it is always approved ...

Consider an AARP membership if you don't have on yet - some OBC there as well 😉

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

It just has to be approved by the board annually - in July each year.

It appears safe that it is always approved ...

Consider an AARP membership if you don't have on yet - some OBC there as well 😉

I saw about the Aarp and am already a member.  Applied for the OBC but said I had to wait 3 days or something like that.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gfkcruiser said:

Yes, it is always approved as it is a relatively inexpensive marketing tool for the Carnival Corporation. When the effects of Covid hit the cruise lines, there were several doomsayers on these boards that just knew they would get rid of it, or at least double the number of shares needed to get the OBC. Many of us correctly argued back that that was not going to happen. And we see it has not, as again it is a marketing tool for them that costs them very little compared to what it brings in.

2 hours ago, oceanbill457 said:

How do you get the onboard credit? It doesn't come up in the search engine.

you can email or fax in the proof they require. the info they need (sail date, booking number etc) are on the link below, along with the proof requirements and the email/fax # 

if you do it wrong or miss something they will kindly reply and tell you what they need you to display more clearly.  As long as it’s not ahead of their annual re-approval timeframes (currently into summer 2024) or less than a few weeks before sail date, you should have success.  Bon voyage! 

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/shareholder-information/shareholder-benefit

4 hours ago, Langoustine said:

If you bought it at the right time, yes; mine is UP nearly 77% since my purchase.

+1 

i got mine in 2022 and it’s almost doubled in price since then.  But more importantly (to me) I’ve already gotten about as much OBC from it as my entire initial investment   

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 10:58 AM, Lido deck main said:

That is not something you should be proud of. 

I'm just answering the OP's question, I'm getting the same OBC without the risk. It's the same as someone who buys a stock for the dividends and then sells it after getting the dividend, which I've done too.

8 minutes ago, aledomom said:

I had never really looked into the benefit of owning CCL stock.  I can't find how far in advance do I need to purchase?  Was thinking I might see if the stock will go down a little?  We don't sail until June 2024.  TIA!

You will simply need to show a single statement showing ownership, that statement should be no older than 6 months old.