Train from Rome to Venice

flukemaster

There is 2 of us that will be taking the train ( one person has a hard time walking) from Rom to Venice. I can see where the train station is in Rome, my question is:

We have been told that if you have baggage that you ride in a different part of the train? Also when you get there are there porters that take you luggage for you?

Any idea on the cost? How long of a ride?

Thanks

The fast/express trains from Rome to Venice are a pleasure and make it an easy although still long-ish trip of about 4 hours.

It's not true that there are separate cars for those with baggage. The trains offer several different types of cars, usually a 2nd class (similar to the "main cabin") on airlines, a 1st class, and possibly an executive class or quiet car. Each one has a slightly different price. Tickets go on sale several months in advance and are discounted if you purchase early -- so assuming you are firm on your travel date/time, it pays to purchase ahead.  (However, be aware that you cannot use the tickets on a later train if you miss yours...)

There are no porters, period. If anyone should approach you in the station and offer to help with your bags, be aware that it is a scam. Worst case they will disappear with your bags. Best case they will hold them for ransom until you pay an exorbitant "tip" for their help.

You must get the bags onto the train yourself -- usually the individual train car as a 3-4 steps up. Once inside, each car has some luggage storage, but not a lot. It pays to get on the train quickly and find a stop. The storage racks are usually at each end of the train, near the doors. Sometimes there is another rack in the middle of the car. Small bags that are not too deep can be placed on the overhead rack.

Although express trains are pretty safe compared to the regionale trains with many stops, you still probably should keep an eye on any luggage you place near the doors. (I try to purchase a seat close to or with a sight line to the rack.) Some use a bicycle chain lock or similar to secure the luggage to the rack.

There are two train lines that have fast service between Rome and Venice. I've only used Trenitalia (trenitalia.com) but the other line (Italo) is worth checking as well as both are similar.

There are options to make it easier.

For example, Trenitalia has a cooperation agreement with a company called Zyppy to provide a baggage transfer service.  They come and collect your bags at your hotel in Rome, then deliver them to your hotel in Venice.  You just keep a small carry on with your critical items (medications, jewelry, electronics, etc.)  I'm not certain if it arrives the same day or the next day, if the latter obviously you'd need to take overnight things as well.

This service needs to be reserved a couple of days in advance, which is something the front desk or concierge at your Rome hotel could do for you.

More info here, in Italian only, but google translate will make it clear:  Bagaglio facile - Trenitalia

Also through a partner, Trenitalia offers a porter service in a few stations, Rome Termini and Venice Santa Lucia are fortunately on the list.

This service also must be reserved in advance, something your hotel can do for you.  The employees wear uniforms so there's no chance of being confused about who is authorized and who is not.

Again, only in Italian:  servizio portabagagli - Trenitalia

On 9/6/2023 at 9:37 AM, cruisemom42 said:

You must get the bags onto the train yourself -- usually the individual train car as a 3-4 steps up. Once inside, each car has some luggage storage, but not a lot. It pays to get on the train quickly and find a stop. The storage racks are usually at each end of the train, near the doors. Sometimes there is another rack in the middle of the car. Small bags that are not too deep can be placed on the overhead rack.

Is this the same for the train from Rome to Civitecchia? Store your luggage in storage racks?

52 minutes ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

Is this the same for the train from Rome to Civitecchia? Store your luggage in storage racks?

Yes. If you're taking the faster train (Frecce), it is very much the same.

If you're taking one of the regional trains (slower, more stops), you should be even more careful to keep an eye on your luggage. The cheaper tickets are less of a barrier to keeping pickpockets and luggage thieves off those trains.

• Like 1

Also keep in mind that the Frecce trains make no stops between Rome and Civitavecchia, so there's no opportunity for someone to get off with your things.  The regionale trains, on the other hand, make up to ten stops en route.  You should never walk away from your luggage on a regionale train.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2023 at 8:15 AM, flukemaster said:

There is 2 of us that will be taking the train ( one person has a hard time walking) from Rom to Venice. I can see where the train station is in Rome, my question is:

We have been told that if you have baggage that you ride in a different part of the train? Also when you get there are there porters that take you luggage for you?

Any idea on the cost? How long of a ride?

Thanks

We rode trains throughout our tour of Europe.  There were no special rules for luggage.  There was a common area for all the luggage as your board. Not sure about the time from Rome to Venice but it is super easy to manage the train system in Italy.  One thing to remember on Italian trains, is that you must validate your ticket before you board.  We did not on our first ride and got shaken down by an employee for about $10 euros.  Lesson learned. 🙂

Edited by LuckyStar

8 minutes ago, LuckyStar said:

One thing to remember on Italian trains, is that you must validate your ticket before you board.  We did not on our first ride and got shaken down by an employee for about $10 euros.  Lesson learned. 🙂

This is only true for paper tickets on regional trains.

Electronic tickets for regional trains must be validated on line.

Tickets for seat assigned trains (Frecce or Intercity trains), regardless if they are electronic or paper, also don't need to be validated.

Edited by euro cruiser

Just now, euro cruiser said:

Tickets for seat assigned trains (Frecce or Intercity trains) also don't need to be validated.

Well, the validation process is a giant ripoff but I'm sure they know that. Not even sure of the purpose.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

As paper regional tickets are not sold for a specific train

Not only not for a specific train, more importantly they are not sold for a specific date either, and unless validated on the day of use, could theoretically be used again-and again-and again!!

The need to validate is common across a number of mainland European countries, so always best to check if it is and validate if required to..

On 9/16/2023 at 3:59 PM, euro cruiser said:

Tickets for seat assigned trains (Frecce or Intercity trains), regardless if they are electronic or paper, also don't need to be validated.

I have my paper tickets with our seats indicated.  I hand over the tickets to the conductor when we take our seats, correct?

Also, I'm concerned that tickets will sell out for our FCO to Venice train on the day we fly in.  Should I buy Economy so I can change date/time in case we are running later than our ticketed time?  Currently I have been buying Me&You which the time can't be changed.  TIA!

Edited by ninjacat123

With seat assigned tickets, simply get on the train and find your seats.  Eventually a ticket agent will come along looking to see it, but not when you first get on.

Unless you are traveling on Christmas Eve, there is zero chance of trains between FCO and Venice being sold out.  

Almost all trains will require a change at Rome Termini from the Leonardo Express from the airport.  There are one or two direct trains from the airport to Venice (one is at 13:53) but the rest require the change.

You can purchase your tickets at the FCO train station, there is a travel agency right there that sells tickets for both Trenitalia and Italotreno, or from the Trenitalia ticket office or from the multilingual machines.

Between Italo and Trenitalia there are one or two trains between Termini and Venice every hour.  Even if the next departing train is sold out, the wait for the following train will be less than an hour, so don't worry about having these tickets in advance.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, euro cruiser said:

With seat assigned tickets, simply get on the train and find your seats.  Eventually a ticket agent will come along looking to see it, but not when you first get on.

Unless you are traveling on Christmas Eve, there is zero chance of trains between FCO and Venice being sold out.  

Almost all trains will require a change at Rome Termini from the Leonardo Express from the airport.  There are one or two direct trains from the airport to Venice (one is at 13:53) but the rest require the change.

You can purchase your tickets at the FCO train station, there is a travel agency right there that sells tickets for both Trenitalia and Italotreno, or from the Trenitalia ticket office or from the multilingual machines.

Between Italo and Trenitalia there are one or two trains between Termini and Venice every hour.  Even if the next departing train is sold out, the wait for the following train will be less than an hour, so don't worry about having these tickets in advance.

I'll look for the Trenitalia trains since on Oct 14 Italo personnel will be on strike👍 Thx!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2023 at 4:27 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Yes. If you're taking the faster train (Frecce), it is very much the same.

On 9/7/2023 at 6:12 PM, euro cruiser said:

Also keep in mind that the Frecce trains make no stops between Rome and Civitavecchia, so there's no opportunity for someone to get off with your things. 

@cruisemom42 and @euro cruiser...how do you know if you are booking a Frecce train?  I'm trying to arrange travel to port from Roma Termini the day of our cruise (we'll be in a nearby hotel the night before) but I can't tell what the different trains mean.  The Trenitalia site lists options that include a logo like an R with extra lines off the back, "intercity", an "RV" type logo, and Frecciabianca (I'm guessing it's this one?)  

My mistake on this one...I didn't realize that travelling with larger luggage would be a bit problematic on the trains.  I'm very comfortable on public transit, but I want to make sure my luggage makes it with me to the cruise!

Any insight is appreciated.

thank you!

1 hour ago, Hydro ergo said:

@cruisemom42 and @euro cruiser...how do you know if you are booking a Frecce train?  I'm trying to arrange travel to port from Roma Termini the day of our cruise (we'll be in a nearby hotel the night before) but I can't tell what the different trains mean.  The Trenitalia site lists options that include a logo like an R with extra lines off the back, "intercity", an "RV" type logo, and Frecciabianca (I'm guessing it's this one?)  

My mistake on this one...I didn't realize that travelling with larger luggage would be a bit problematic on the trains.  I'm very comfortable on public transit, but I want to make sure my luggage makes it with me to the cruise!

Any insight is appreciated.

thank you!

The stylized “R” is for regionale trains (cheapest, slowest, most stops). The “RV” is for regionale veloce, which is a slightly faster regionale train (same speed but fewer stops). The “IC” should you see it stands for inter-city. And euro cruiser has already clarified the Frecce” trains. 

(Basically the fast trains have three names: frecciargento, frecciarossa, and frecciabianca. Frecce means “arrow”, argento is silver, rossa is red, and bianca is white. Each one runs specific routes.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hydro ergo said:

My mistake on this one...I didn't realize that travelling with larger luggage would be a bit problematic on the trains.  I'm very comfortable on public transit, but I want to make sure my luggage makes it with me to the cruise

I believe if you make your destination CIVITAVECCHIA PORTO, your ticket will also a include the bus from the Civi Train Station to the pier.  It might be an extra $5 or so.

When we met our ship in Trieste we took the FrecciaRossa train and booked Business Class.  We then chose seats that were near the luggage storage area which was next to the door. There may have been 6 people in our carriage so no worries there.

Edited by mapleleaves
  • Like 1