Seriously now-how many of you are REALLY looking at other cruise lines because of the CEO's changes going on?

Linda W.

9 minutes ago, Veinless said:

Geez now you have me googling for this paradise! You should be in sales.

Santorini is a 45 minute flight from Athens for about $200pp RT. One side of the island is the caldera from an ancient volcano and the other side has world class beaches  Our hotel is on the cliff overlooking where all the cruise ships anchor and is in the center of Fira with about 130 restaurants and wine bars within walking distance. After the 1000's of cruise ship passengers leave every afternoon the island becomes a true paradise.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WNCtourist said:

It's fascinating how cruising decisions are so individual! Unlike many responders on this thread, we book balcony cabins and have no elevated status/benefits. We've been on 7 cruises total (3 on X), with the last in 2019 on Princess. Itinerary and cost are the drivers for us. 

We were drawn to X originally because of its non-smoking policy, less "partying" atmosphere, and fewer "attractions" for families while offering reasonable prices. Now considering 2024 and 2025 cruises and are looking hard at HAL and Princess.

Celebrity has left us behind for the following:

1. Emphasis on Edge class (no interest in IV cabins) 

2. X's itineraries aren't interesting compared to other lines

3. X costs more compared to other similar lines

I realize X doesn't care about people like us who have cruised so little...but it also sounds like they don't care about those who have been extremely loyal.

I really agree with you on the recent changes in itineraries.   It really seems like they are shifting away from longer cruises to exotic locations and shifting more and more ships to the Caribbean for shorter cruises and stops at their "Private Island". 

I'm sure families love this but at least for us on the West Coast,  it just isn't on our horizon to cruise the Caribbean.   After awhile every island is just a mirror of the other islands.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

I shopped around and actually found a similar itinerary on the new Regent Grandeur in a nicer room for LESS money.  I've not cruised RSSC for a while so perhaps I'll be disappointed...but I don't think so. 

We are also looking at future Regent cruises with a lot more all inclusive and less per day in cost on some Celebrity Retreat cruises.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carolyn22 said:

Someone from Celebrity really needs to read this thread and take it seriously. Although as someone said earlier, they probably know and just don’t care.  It seems like their planning is very short term and they are missing the long term picture as part of their strategic plan. 

It's not that they don't care; they just have to recover their losses due to covid hence the inflated prices.  I just returned on an RCI cruise with my Grandson last week it was a 7 night Western Caribbean and in all honesty it wasn't much cheaper than Celebrity. We had once a day housekeeping sometimes rooms were not cleaned till 4 pm. Not enough towels in the bathroom kept asking for more. Two glasses in the bathroom to brush teeth and drink water although there were 4 glass holders. No glasses in cabin area. Hallways always strewn with dirty dishes and glassware that were probably picked up in the middle of the night. List goes on and but my Grandson still had fun. Oh extremely poor water pressure in bathroom sink. 

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I really agree with you on the recent changes in itineraries.   It really seems like they are shifting away from longer cruises to exotic locations and shifting more and more ships to the Caribbean for shorter cruises and stops at their "Private Island". 

I'm sure families love this but at least for us on the West Coast,  it just isn't on our horizon to cruise the Caribbean.   After awhile every island is just a mirror of the other islands.

Jim, I think more than any other changes this is the most disturbing thing I've seen Celebrity do this year. Pulling ships from South America and Europe to do Carnival and RC type 7 day or less Caribbean cruises with stops at a private island. We do not want to do any more of this type of cruise. When Celebrity canceled the 2025 Equinox South America cruises, they did us a favor as we gave Oceania a real look and found a much better deal for an 18 night cruise. Now we get 100% of our Celebrity deposit back.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

It's not that they don't care; they just have to recover their losses due to covid hence the inflated prices.  I just returned on an RCI cruise with my Grandson last week it was a 7 night Western Caribbean and in all honesty it wasn't much cheaper than Celebrity. We had once a day housekeeping sometimes rooms were not cleaned till 4 pm. Not enough towels in the bathroom kept asking for more. Two glasses in the bathroom to brush teeth and drink water although there were 4 glass holders. No glasses in cabin area. Hallways always strewn with dirty dishes and glassware that were probably picked up in the middle of the night. List goes on and but my Grandson still had fun. Oh extremely poor water pressure in bathroom sink. 

That sounds a lot like our June Equinox cruise in a SS. Several days our cabin wasn't made up until well after lunch and room service dishes all up and down the hallways. When we complained we were told they were understaffed. 

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

We want a cruise at at a certain range of dates...

We want a cruise.... to certain locations.

We have certain needs and wants.

we have certain lines we wouldn’t cruise if they were free!

Excellent criteria!  

I would add:

• economy to scale 
  • expectations (thou that could fall under needs and wants..and just what are they?)
  • Occasion or reason

Just my opinion, anyone who thinks a tier system of passengers does not exist on all lines are sailing in a fog.  Class of suite on any line dictates level of service and attention received.

And, oh by the way, what constitutes a suite?

• Size of stateroom?
  • Amenities?
  • Degree of Service?

Why do you as a repeat to prolific cruiser chose to a cruise over a land based vacation?

Are you just now beginning to notice what you consider a decline in value.

Are you just now beginning to compare other cruise lines for what you get for what you pay?

• If so, why now?
  • If not, why not? 

2 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Once they pay off their debt, the prices will decrease?  If I could a vegas bet, I'd say there's a 0% chance of that happening.  They have strong bookings so decided to get aggressive with increasing the rates and if bookings weaken, they can simply lower the prices the closer they get to the sail date.  It's a shame they've introduced ZERO passenger friendly improvements other than Starlink

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Santorini is a 45 minute flight from Athens for about $200pp RT. One side of the island is the caldera from an ancient volcano and the other side has world class beaches  Our hotel is on the cliff overlooking where all the cruise ships anchor and is in the center of Fira with about 130 restaurants and wine bars within walking distance. After the 1000's of cruise ship passengers leave every afternoon the island becomes a true paradise.

One of our favourite holidays was staying in a villa at Santo Maris in Oia (10 minute walk to Oia) for a special birthday. The hotel was fabulous and it was Complete bliss in Oia when all ships passengers had left for the day. 

• Like 1

Here in Riff-Raff Class we genuinely don't care which cruise line we travel with.

If the price is right we'll go with anyone.

Buffets are good, we avoid the MDR completely, don't do drinks or WiFi packages, excursions, speciality restaurant upgrades, spa or onboard shopping.

All of the above seem to be a constant source of worry or disquiet on here for so many people with upcoming cruises.

Not for us. The entertainment is free, drink prices about the same as back home, we go ashore to the same places as everyone else and generally arrive totally refreshed and relaxed.

Our 11 night TA cruise from Southampton in August is costing us less than £1500 for two people in a balcony cabin.

Is it a good one ? Who cares.We only ever sleep in it.

As our kids used to say take a chill pill, go with the flow,  enjoy the trip and BRING YOUR OWN COOKIES 🤣

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

Without meaning to put words in people's mouths...I think the upshot of all this is not so much that people are totally shunning X for future cruises, but rather they're much more frequently considering (and actually cruising on) other lines.  They're comparison shopping.  Now they may find that other lines have the same issues as X...or they may not.  I'm curious to hear the results over the next year or two. 

I've been wanting to cruise on the Ascent in the next 12months, but after the recent changes at X, I shopped around and actually found a similar itinerary on the new Regent Grandeur in a nicer room for LESS money.  I've not cruised RSSC for a while so perhaps I'll be disappointed...but I don't think so. 

I am reading here that people are now NOT just assuming Celebrity is the best value for their $$$/loyality club(or other currency/affinity) and are doing research.  I would bet other people loyal to other lines are doing more research too. To me that is a good thing.  

We also like longer cruises and that too is a criteria on many of our cruises at planning/booking.  With family, they have to work and are more limited with school age kids too.  For us, we have many land based trips we have taken and want to take.  Last year did 2 weeks in Alaska (land based) and it was wonderful.  Want to do a similar trip to Alaska again.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Linda W. said:

Seems like Celebrity is making lots of changes now they have a new CEO.  Celebrity is definitely NOT the superior cruise line it used to be.  I know I am studying other cruise lines and after our next cruise in February may say goodbye to Celebrity.  I'm wondering just what this new CEO is REALLY trying to accomplish besides getting rid of loyal Celebrity cruisers? 

You should consider doing this again but as a poll.  Also, as it has been pointing out, it isn't the CEO/Presidents change, the drastic cutbacks started in 2023 under LLP's watch

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

It really seems like they are shifting away from longer cruises to exotic locations and shifting more and more ships to the Caribbean for shorter cruises and stops at their "Private Island".

26 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

After awhile every island is just a mirror of the other islands.

We consider both statements to be spot on.

We live on the east cost and several years ago began to take our youngest two grandchildren on spring break cruises.  Limited time and itineraries dictated Caribbean cruises, the majority of which now include a stop at a private island.  Those stops are at a created playground and offer nothing of cultural value.

When it is just the two of us cruising or doing a land based journey, we want something exotic worth taking extra time to get there and explore. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

An expensive and overrated  'paradise' in our view.

There are far better Greek islands where cruise ships never visit and English and American accents are rarely heard.

Modern, sophisticated tourist destinations without the crowds and hefty price tags.

Just back from lunch on a virtually deserted beach with fresh fish and seafood, great wine and honey-drenched desserts for €20 a head.

Last night we drank world-class cocktails by talented mixologists in a converted Italian-style mansion for €12 a shot.

The only things missing here are the Santorini views, the hefty prices to match and the heaving crowds.

Tastes differ, of course, but this is our idea of paradise.

Edited by Baggy178
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Once they pay off their debt, the prices will decrease?  If I could a vegas bet, I'd say there's a 0% chance of that happening.  They have strong bookings so decided to get aggressive with increasing the rates and if bookings weaken, they can simply lower the prices the closer they get to the sail date.  It's a shame they've introduced ZERO passenger friendly improvements other than Starlink

No I don't believe prices will decrease; I was just stating the fact that they increased prices due to covid.  Look at the food prices gone through the roof; I'm one of the lucky ones who knows how to cook and plan meals.  I did get a pretty good price for the Beyond just booked Saturday and yesterday was able to take advantage of a price drop.  I took the cheapest cabin which is an inside and I can guarantee I'll be able to move up to a deluxe or an ocean view for the price I paid for the inside.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

No I don't believe prices will decrease; I was just stating the fact that they increased prices due to covid.  Look at the food prices gone through the roof; I'm one of the lucky ones who knows how to cook and plan meals.  I did get a pretty good price for the Beyond just booked Saturday and yesterday was able to take advantage of a price drop.  I took the cheapest cabin which is an inside and I can guarantee I'll be able to move up to a deluxe or an ocean view for the price I paid for the inside.  

Totally understand.  Yes inflation is real, many inflation experts state from 2020-now the rate is around 18%.  X, like many other corporations, increase their rates well beyond 18% all while REDUCING the services/product.  At many fast food establishments their prices only went up by the rate of inflation

There are many reasons why we shouldn’t compare land-based resorts with cruises. One is that cruise lines compete with other cruise lines — not land resorts. The other is that some (but not all) land resorts are notorious rip-offs. Celebrity has to compete with at least 15 lines. And while there is some common ownership among most, there still is competition. When comparing cost and value among cruise lines, I imagine few have considered land resorts — and have chosen one. But in our recent comparison, we considered  Celebrity Retreat and Silversea (common ownership) among others. Between those two, Silversea looks darn good! 

• Like 1

Shopping around. We just tried and really enjoyed Azamara; will happily make them our cruiseline of choice once they untangle their pre-cruise IT & communications mess.

Next up, we are testing out Viking Ocean. Still have one Celebrity cruise in a CS on the books.

Edited by JaneStarr
Typos
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

That sounds a lot like our June Equinox cruise in a SS. Several days our cabin wasn't made up until well after lunch and room service dishes all up and down the hallways. When we complained we were told they were understaffed. 

Our RCI ship was severely understaffed. Our cabin attendant said she works 8 to 8 with half the rooms done before noon then alternates the next day

On sea days she starts around 10 a.m as people sleep in so cabins cleaned even later.  I found it annoying that I would enter my stateroom mid afternoon with no service.  The hallways looked like a run down hotel hallway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Agree, I’m in the ATL area and wish they would get back to some longer itineraries from Port Everglades..

• Like 2

Yes, more exotic itineraries are great. We did all of that before we got so old! Now, that and the difficulties flying keep us out of the far away itineraries. Our next one is in the E.Caribbean with only one plane change each way. We have always comparison shopped for cruises. And we have been put off by price increases since 2004. But now the price of the Retreat is exceeding that of true lux lines, so the problem is comparative pricing.

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

There are many reasons why we shouldn’t compare land-based resorts with cruises. One is that cruise lines compete with other cruise lines — not land resorts. The other is that some (but not all) land resorts are notorious rip-offs. Celebrity has to compete with at least 15 lines. And while there is some common ownership among most, there still is competition. When comparing cost and value among cruise lines, I imagine few have considered land resorts — and have chosen one. But in our recent comparison, we considered  Celebrity Retreat and Silversea (common ownership) among others. Between those two, Silversea looks darn good! 

Actual cruise executives state the exact opposite, that they directly compete with land vacations.  We have to remember, globally, half of all sailings go to the Caribbean which also has the highest concentration of AI Resorts.  There are many pros and cons to both cruising and land resorts yet most AI Resorts are indeed truly inclusive and often a far better value specifically in the Cancun/Playa Del Carmen area.  Another land vacation wildcard is simply renting a beach house for a week or two on a rental site like Airbnb which can be incredibly cheap in rural Florida.  Lots of pros and cons there as well

image.thumb.png.55f39158ba2ce7cf2e6279b9ab7bf8c1.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baggy178 said:

Here in Riff-Raff Class we genuinely don't care which cruise line we travel with.

If the price is right we'll go with anyone.

Buffets are good, we avoid the MDR completely, don't do drinks or WiFi packages, excursions, speciality restaurant upgrades, spa or onboard shopping.

All of the above seem to be a constant source of worry or disquiet on here for so many people with upcoming cruises.

Not for us. The entertainment is free, drink prices about the same as back home, we go ashore to the same places as everyone else and generally arrive totally refreshed and relaxed.

Our 11 night TA cruise from Southampton in August is costing us less than £1500 for two people in a balcony cabin.

Is it a good one ? Who cares.We only ever sleep in it.

As our kids used to say take a chill pill, go with the flow,  enjoy the trip and BRING YOUR OWN COOKIES 🤣

Is Riff-Raff class above or below the Shlub class ?  😂 

• Haha 3

My cousin literally DRAGGED my on a VIRGIN Cruise last April and now I'm hooked!

Ive always been loyal to Celebrity (Elite Plus)... but with all the nickel and diming and losing interest in them BIG TIME. And the LONG hold times to talk to someone is REALLY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE! 

Virgin MATCHED my status on Celebrity and I got so many perks for it!

No additional cost for the best wifi, tips included, no up charges for any of the restaurants.. and I'm a huge foodie and VIRGIN food is like eating in EDEN daily! It's amazing! Even little charcuterie plates you can just grab and go and have on your balcony or wherever! Also, room service delivers to ANYWHERE you are on the ship! Finally, their Beach Club at Bimini was beyond my expectations! I felt like I was in the South of France or Ibiza! And benefit of NO KIDS (sorry parents)

I NEVER expected to be such a VIRGIN Fan. I still have 4 upcoming Celebrity cruises, but now I have 3 VIRGIN as well. We'll see how they balance out in years to come... 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1