A bit nervous about our upcoming trip

aml3679

As one who has posted critical comments about the current situation in the Retreat, let me clarify. The Retreat experience has experienced some relatively minor negative changes. The changes wouldn’t have prompted such a firestorm, had they not been accompanied by rather large fare increases for bookings made now. If you booked in the past at a price satisfactory to you, you can expect a great cruise. I predict the the reduction in services and such will be scarcely notable to you. My critical comments, and those of many others, mainly concerned the opinion that the Retreat is not worth the fares in effect today. But it is certainly worth the lower fares charged in the past.

We had a cruise that went badly before and during the voyage. We made the best of it anyways and had a great time. The ports were still great, the staff has always been a fun part of it, and we met some great people. It definitely is what you make it. 

I am sure you will have a great cruise, I do not think lack of a personal butler is a big deal . Always enjoy suite lounge and restaurant, my sister and her family just did their first celebrity cruise and loved it . Once we are both on social security we will be searching for bargains.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aml3679 said:

Our first cruise was on the Millennium 12 years ago where we renewed our wedding vows after 25 years.

Celebrity is our favorite line.

To celebrate our mutual retirements, my husband surprised me by booking a Sky Suite on the Silhouette in November, a 10 day Southern Caribbean.

Since we both live on only social security, this was quite the stretch for us.

With all of the negative comments lately, I am concerned.

I would not use a butler to unpack, I was looking forward to other things.  Such as, emptying ur mini refrigerator and filling it with sodas and water.  Filling an ice bucket.  Small requests.

There are so many saying they will never sail again on Celebrity.

We paid a good chunk of change for this cruise.  Probably first and last time in a suite.

Please reassure me that everything is going to be fine.IMG_0329.jpeg.c7e8262ea688dd932b227e45232a007e.jpeg

IMG_3020.jpeg

IMG_0328.jpeg

IMG_0327.jpeg

Make the best of it. Don't be afraid to ask for what you want ' even if it takes more than one request.

Hopefully , you will have a great cruise , my instincts say you will.

The crew on these ships are for the most part exceptional.

All The Best

2 hours ago, doghog said:

We would never book or not book a cruise, cruise line, ship, itinerary, etc. based on others positive or negative opinions or experiences.

I booked an MSC cruise based solely on Charla's ( @GenerationX ) side by side review of a Celebrity Royal Suite and Yacht Club.

• Like 2

I've never used the butler on X or in the YC on MSC. I can pack and unpack myself ,as well as taking care of my self going to shows, etc. Enjoy your cruise, go with an open mind and put the negatives behind you. You might actually be surprised.

Congratulations on your retirement!  I think you are going to have a fabulous cruise!  Despite the negativity and some warranted concern about recent changes, Celebrity offers beautiful ships full of amazing crew who will bend over backwards to make your vacation enjoyable.  I have had some negative things to say about Celebrity's choices lately but I still have 2 future cruises with X and I'm looking forward to both of them!  Enjoy this next chapter!

39 minutes ago, doghog said:

Good for you. That's all that matters. 

Exactly, we all do things differently. I make decisions based on other people's feedback all the time: restaurants, vacation destinations, hotels, plumbers, jewelers, you name it. Obviously, opinions from some have more value than those from others.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

Exactly, we all do things differently. I make decisions based on other people's feedback all the time: restaurants, vacation destinations, hotels, plumbers, jewelers, you name it. Obviously, opinions from some have more value than those from others.

Only talking about cruising. Good for you. That's all that matters. My method and experiences works for us.. Way too many opinions,experiences, positive and negative here on CC.  We booked our first cruise in 1991,

ten years before I joined CC. The only thing we learned by experience was don't book late TD. 

Edited by davekathy

One comment to those complaining about the complaining- if not for Cruise Critic or various Facebook groups we would never have even known about the majority of the changes as Celebrity is certainly not telling us. I’d rather know what to expect when I board, or before I book, especially at current prices. Also keep in mind ( ok, that’s two comments) that all the complaints about the vaping and cookie gate caused Celebrity to reevaluate their position ( along with many, many emails to corporate which never would have been sent without knowledge shared by so called complainers). 

Of course all comments and reviews anywhere need to be evaluated as to their authenticity and validity.  Yes, some are a bit crazy, but many have very valid points and when one sees a trend it would be foolish to disregard the issue at hand.

But once again to the OP I will say that while some things have changed there is still a lot to enjoy and changes or no changes you should have a great time!

There is nothing wrong, IMHO, with constructive criticism, but beyond that it loses the effect of what the issue actually is, along with taking on a life of its own; therefore, it is not constructive at all, but more a huge venting and frustration process that goes on and on...negativity breeding more negativity.

I always find that there are way more pleasant surprises than tiny little negatives, on a cruise, but having your glass half full is a great way to approach things.

Enjoy your cruise and know that many of us would love to also be onboard!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Thanks 1