Pickleball & More

Keltoba

We are on the Celebrity Ascent Jan 21 - first cruise in a long time. I read there is a pickleball court - do you need to bring your own paddles?? Is it hard to get a court? What other activities are available onboard? And is there an additional cost for them?

(I am assuming Apex or other Edge Class ships have similar facilities and events that will be mirrored on Ascent)

The court is an outline on the area where the movies are shown.   There are other threads asking about it and showing pictures of the court.    Do a search. 

It isn’t anything  that is always available.  A few days and hours.  It is meant to be a fun activity and not something for those that are serious or  professional players.   You sign up and don’t get to pick your opponents.   I watched for a few minutes and there were very little volleys longer than the return on the serve.   I don’t know how long you have to wait for your turn but there were a lot signed up.  

Leave your gear at home.  They supply all that is needed.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

3 hours ago, miched said:

The court is an outline on the area where the movies are shown.   There are other threads asking about it and showing pictures of the court.    Do a search. 

It isn’t anything  that is always available.  A few days and hours.  It is meant to be a fun activity and not something for those that are serious or  professional players.   You sign up and don’t get to pick your opponents.   I watched for a few minutes and there were very little volleys longer than the return on the serve.   I don’t know how long you have to wait for your turn but there were a lot signed up.  

Leave your gear at home.  They supply all that is needed.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Thanks. This information really helps. I’m no professional but like to have a friendly volley. Good to know they have gear. I will look for the other posts 

13 minutes ago, Keltoba said:

Thanks. This information really helps. I’m no professional but like to have a friendly volley. Good to know they have gear. I will look for the other posts 

If all that is you are after you should have a great time.  It is for a fun activity for everyone.  It is a cruise ship.  Doing that you may meet and become friends with others during that activity.  You may also get some good laughs and entertainment watching others because of the conditions.  

We became great friends with another couple during a cabin crawl.  They live in another state and we now visit each other and keep in contact.  

Go for it and have fun. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

14 hours ago, miched said:

If all that is you are after you should have a great time.  It is for a fun activity for everyone.  It is a cruise ship.  Doing that you may meet and become friends with others during that activity.  You may also get some good laughs and entertainment watching others because of the conditions.  

We became great friends with another couple during a cabin crawl.  They live in another state and we now visit each other and keep in contact.  

Go for it and have fun. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

That is exactly what I’m hoping for!! So happy to hear about your experience. Thanks for sharing. 

Bring muscle ointment, maybe Ace bandages.  Some people overplay their ability in a new setting, easy to get caught up in the competition.  Especially after a few drinks.

Know where sick bay is and how to call for medical help for sprains, bruises (some caused by partner's racket), pulled muscles, etc.

Sounds like fun, until it isn't.  I've witnessed several players getting hurt on a ship's court, so be aware and play just for fun.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, evandbob said:

Bring muscle ointment, maybe Ace bandages.  Some people overplay their ability in a new setting, easy to get caught up in the competition.  Especially after a few drinks.

Know where sick bay is and how to call for medical help for sprains, bruises (some caused by partner's racket), pulled muscles, etc.

Sounds like fun, until it isn't.  I've witnessed several players getting hurt on a ship's court, so be aware and play just for fun.

You sure you're talking about pickleball? I've seen better workouts at the shuffleboard court (which, btw, Celebrity should find room for).

• Haha 1

On 9/9/2023 at 12:31 PM, Keltoba said:

We are on the Celebrity Ascent Jan 21 - first cruise in a long time. I read there is a pickleball court - do you need to bring your own paddles?? Is it hard to get a court? What other activities are available onboard? And is there an additional cost for them?

(I am assuming Apex or other Edge Class ships have similar facilities and events that will be mirrored on Ascent)

Just FYI...Not at all playable unless the ship is in port.

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

It is a hit at 55+ communities because the players do not have to move much.

The players ( not us)  in our varied age Community, are at it every day.   Very aggressive, active and devoted..Courts were moved to avoid the constant noise near homes!   The tennis players were happy to see them moved away as  the noise disrupted their play.

Many newer  facilites are now indoors with A/C..  If it is a must on a ship..maybe do it inside..lower deck..

• 1 month later...

Onboard the Celebrity Equinox now and it is a windy day. Single court on front of ship one deck belowThe Retreat. Shares space with basketball court so there are multiple lines painted on court. The net is saggy so not sure how taut it can be made. I did not see any paddles or balls and no one was playing even though it was scheduled for open play.

IMG_8057.jpeg

1 hour ago, late bloomer said:

Onboard the Celebrity Equinox now and it is a windy day. Single court on front of ship one deck belowThe Retreat. Shares space with basketball court so there are multiple lines painted on court. The net is saggy so not sure how taut it can be made. I did not see any paddles or balls and no one was playing even though it was scheduled for open play.

IMG_8057.jpeg

A sad pickleball court.  No wonder no one was playing...

• Haha 1

On 9/10/2023 at 7:42 PM, hcat said:

Courts were moved to avoid the constant noise near homes! 

When I first heard of pickleball on board a ship, the first thing that came to mind was the report I saw on tv about the constant noise encroaching on nearby homes making their own homes nearly unlivable.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 2:47 PM, NMTraveller said:

It is a hit at 55+ communities because the players do not have to move much.

Overall it's great as it gets the older folks active.  I'm still an active beach Volleyball player and have played beach paddleball a bit, with paddleball you really don't move your legs/feet much.  In pickleball its the most accurate to state you do indeed move around a lot but far less than in tennis.  For scale, four pickle ball courts can fit within one tennis court but that's not safe as you don't have an out-of-bounds buffer

2 hours ago, late bloomer said:

IMG_8057.jpeg

better location than the  rooftop garden..maybe it could be  improved

Edited by hcat

Just finished watching two weeks of Pickleball tournaments - DH competes and the level of play is amazing.  In the US currently, the average age of USAPA member is 38 and the play varies from rec league to pro.  On board the nets are temporary and can be adjusted to be more taut.  Have seen many players who travel with their own paddles and balls.  Certainly not only for the senior set any more.  

• 2 weeks later...