MSC Yacht Club - "uninvited" guests

markwfpb

3 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

To my DW, just the mention of Holland America's "Nieuw Amsterdam"will trigger her into a violent outburst similar to "Niagara Falls" "Slowly I turned".......

We made the mistake of booking the Pinnacle Suite for Spring break in March of this year. It had a 94 CDC health sanitation rating. She is a germaphobe and the second to last day came down with covid and norovirus. Let us just say that "Poppy's a little sloppy." She feels safer on the MSC Seaside with a CDC score of 67 and will NEVER sail another Hal ship again.

Oh no. We’re doing HAL for the first time in April in a Neptune Suite. A transatlantic to Rotterdam. We have a wedding to attend in Fort Lauderdale and this cruise works best with the dates. 

6 minutes ago, jules815 said:

Oh no. We’re doing HAL for the first time in April in a Neptune Suite. A transatlantic to Rotterdam. We have a wedding to attend in Fort Lauderdale and this cruise works best with the dates. 

If it's anything like our 17 day Panama Canal, you'll have a great time! The Neptune Suites are like a double-wide trailer(!). You have a big window over a built-in deck from the bedroom area PLUS the usual glass windows and door from the sitting area. If you're not already exploring the ship on the HAL forums, be sure to - so much to get excited about!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jules815 said:

On Seascape now and several times have seen people trying to get in on deck 19 entrance. The beige beach towels are a dead giveaway. 

I like the "trying" part of that statement!

Is it true that the other YC floors (16 + 18) can't be accessed without going through 19? As someone who takes the stairs more times than not, I don't look forward to extra flights only to go back down! 

8 hours ago, young_k92 said:

We are booked on our 1st MSC cruise next month. We have been complimentary upgraded from Interior GTY to a Deluxe Balcony on 13. Bella experience. We have had the opportunity to upgrade bid to a YC Interior for 2 weeks at what is an excellent price. But due to exactly this issue, we have refrained from bidding. We just can't justify losing our own private balcony space (that we were blessed enough to receive) for an interior, even in YC, if MSC doesn't do a better job of keeping interlopers out, per several recent posts here on CC. We plan to spend the equivalent of the lowest YC bid on "extras" to enhance our balcony experience. I understand the benefits of YC. And it's been tempting. But privacy on our own balcony versus paying to upgrade to what should be an exclusive experience and having to deal with jerks willing to cheat was more than I could handle. MSC really needs to nip this in the bud. Quickly.

I've cruised YC 2x and interloppers came and go but never ruined the experience. As others have said...there is so much talk about YC...people are curious and want to sneak in to see it. I never saw anyone being served alcohol or food...Butlers always had a close eye in these areas. I think MSC should go back to allowing a minimal amount of daily passes for YC. They were $99pp back in 2018. But did not include dinner and top sail lounge. Only One pool deck and food offerings on the deck.

• Like 1

Try moving to an empty seat in First Class from an Economy Seat.  You wont even have a chance to sit down.  This problem would be easy to cure on a ship if MSC really was concerned.

Hopefully, enough Cruisers will complain and MSC will focus on the problem.  Heck, they have a Butler checking IDs over the bridge before going to the Ocean Cay (Key) Restaurant.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lcpagejr said:

"They were $99pp back in 2018. But did not include dinner and top sail lounge. Only One pool deck and food offerings on the deck."

No business walks away from a revenue stream without it being:
A) Too much trouble in relation to the current business model as a whole and not worth reinventing that wheel.
B) Not profitable.

I'm fairly confident MSC evaluated the program and decided it was ultimately a loser for them on one or both counts.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, no1talks said:

A) Too much trouble in relation to the current business model as a whole and not worth reinventing that wheel.
B) Not profitable.

I'm fairly confident MSC evaluated the program and decided it was ultimately a loser for them on one or both counts.

Just now, lcpagejr said:
8 minutes ago, no1talks said:

B) Not profitable.

Expand  

Likely a accurate statement…

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 9:23 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Only on Seafood Extravaganza lunch day at the OnePool deck. It got so bad with interlopers crashing, that paying YC guests gave up waiting in line in the hot sun and did not partake. Many YCers gave their wrist bands to friends and family outside the YC to get in. Last month the Seafood Extravaganza was eliminated rather than find a way to curb the interloper situation. We witnessed only one pool attendant ask to see a room key card and even then he let them finish their meals. On Seascape.

Wait so has the seafood extravaganza been placed on an indefinite hold, or is it back in the rotation?

4 hours ago, Avatar345 said:

Wait so has the seafood extravaganza been placed on an indefinite hold, or is it back in the rotation?

I just asked @jules815 who is on board the Seascape this question. I thought perhaps having a contingent of MSC corporate in the YC this week, they may tighten up security on interlopers and bring it back?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I just asked @jules815 who is on board the Seascape this question. I thought perhaps having a contingent of MSC corporate in the YC this week, they may tighten up security on interlopers and bring it back?

Believe it or not, we were just assigned a new butler who we met last night, who is very attentive. I plan on asking him about the Seafood Extravaganza when I see him this morning. Our butler from last week is still not cleared by ship medical to return. More on this later. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/19/2023 at 10:20 AM, young_k92 said:

We are booked on our 1st MSC cruise next month. We have been complimentary upgraded from Interior GTY to a Deluxe Balcony on 13. Bella experience. We have had the opportunity to upgrade bid to a YC Interior for 2 weeks at what is an excellent price. But due to exactly this issue, we have refrained from bidding. We just can't justify losing our own private balcony space (that we were blessed enough to receive) for an interior, even in YC, if MSC doesn't do a better job of keeping interlopers out, per several recent posts here on CC. We plan to spend the equivalent of the lowest YC bid on "extras" to enhance our balcony experience. I understand the benefits of YC. And it's been tempting. But privacy on our own balcony versus paying to upgrade to what should be an exclusive experience and having to deal with jerks willing to cheat was more than I could handle. MSC really needs to nip this in the bud. Quickly.

Do not let the threat of interlopers deter you. If it's the loss of a balcony, that's one thing, but you will not be able to "enhance" your bella balcony to get anywhere close to the level of YC. I just got off of the Seascape, and the YC area felt like it was booked to 50%, even though it was at 100%. The rest of the ship, not so much.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Please keep us in the loop on what you learn. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 7:40 PM, markwfpb said:

Hi,

I've seen various references in different posts about "interlopers", officer family/friends and plain old sneaky people finding their way into the Yacht Club.

Having sailed on the Divina three times over the past five years, I've never noticed it all. But we'll be on the Seascape early next year and it sounds like it's a whole different ballgame on that class of ship.

So I kinda want to know what to expect to level my expectations - do the Top Sail and pool areas get overly crowded? Is there a wait in the dining room? Do kids take over the place?! I know every experience is different (YMMV) but is there a consensus if this issue really affects the YC experience for the average passenger?

It seems like if the ship's officers and families are there, it's a perk of the job (I don't know if that's the case), but people just strolling in seems like a different thing altogether. 

Thanks!

Markwfpb, I agree with you that MSC staff should enjoy YC as a perk of the job!

What kind of punishment do Interlopers face?

Before MSC started promoting bids to YC, I don't remember there being such a problem with unauthorized access. I speak of Miami sailings  on Divina, Seaside, Seashore and Meraviglia.

We cannot blame MSC for increasing their revenue with these up bids but  they REALLY should develop a better supervision system at the  points of entry into YC. 

As some have mentioned, close all accesses but one (not ideal) or add a security officer at all entrances or  add face recognition. 

MSC has  found an easy solution to restrict access to the Ocean House. Why can't they do the same with YC?

Hope the issue is resolved by the time we sail next month! I will let you know.

Edited by Fighterone

Per our butler, the Seafood Extravaganza is no more. He wouldn’t say why. Tonight is the Island Party at the One Pool (dj playing dance music). We went last week and it was nice. Small plates/buffet and drinks served by the butlers. 

Tomorrow afternoon is high tea in the Top Sail at 4pm. (Sea day). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, jules815 said:

Per our butler, the Seafood Extravaganza is no more. He wouldn’t say why. Tonight is the Island Party at the One Pool (dj playing dance music). We went last week and it was nice. Small plates/buffet and drinks served by the butlers. 

Ack what a shame, right before our November sailing as well...

34 minutes ago, jules815 said:

😞

3 hours ago, dwtravels43 said:

We just got off the Seascape on Sunday. We were on 14 days in the YC. We were told there is no more seafood extravaganza.

During your 14 days, did you observe any intrusions by interlopers into areas of the Yacht Club?

3 hours ago, dwtravels43 said:

We just got off the Seascape on Sunday. We were on 14 days in the YC. We were told there is no more seafood extravaganza.

While a shame, in theory… our cruise on Seaside in YC last month proved the beginning of the phaseout of the seafood extravaganza, which was extremely lacking compared to our Seashore experience just 6 months prior.  The seafood was limited to salmon, baked cod, and heads-on jumbo shrimp (very unappealing). Compare that to Seashore where we were offered crab claws, peal and eat shrimp (headless), clams, mussels, fried shrimp/oysters and a variety of cold seafood salads and hot seafood pastas. It was amazing! To say we were disappointed in the Seaside spread is putting is politely. Honestly, if they can’t do it right, I’d prefer they not do it at all. Guess that’s the direction MSC are taking. 

• Like 3