On Splendor Now

pappy1022

I will send a detailed review of my time on Splendor as soon as I get home next week from our British Isle cruise. Overall the trip has been very good. The captain just informed us of several people having respiratory illness on board. We all know what that is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

I will send a detailed review of my time on Splendor as soon as I get home next week from our British Isle cruise. Overall the trip has been very good. The captain just informed us of several people having respiratory illness on board. We all know what that is. 

Same thing a few weeks ago on Splendor (Reykjavik to Copenhagen).  Ratcheted up to no self-serving, library closed, etc.  I'm afraid that after COVID practices have wound down, people have forgotten the routine of hand-washing and sanitizing to prevent these outbreaks.

I hope for your cruise enjoyment that people pay attention to the announcements and the curtailments are limited. 

51 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

Shhh....they are not allowed to discuss Covid on board.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

It could be RSV or even the flu. RSV is the new buzz word  in our area. Those both seem to be the illnesses of concern in our area.

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Almost certainly not COVID from some subtle info we received.  Just back to the good old days of Norovirus.

Just wash and sanitize your damn hands!  (We've been on a number of cruises where Norovirus arose over the last couple of decades.  Never caught it, but then we were using hand sanitizer and due caution long before the pandemic.)

Edited by Portolan
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Portolan said:

Almost certainly not COVID from some subtle info we received.  Just back to the good old days of Norovirus.

Just wash and sanitize your damn hands!  (We've been on a number of cruises where Norovirus arose over the last couple of decades.  Never caught it, but then we were using hand sanitizer and due caution long before the pandemic.)

Best advice ever!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Portolan said:

We’re on as well. Doubt it’s norovirus, captain said respiratory. With the whole crew wearing masks RSV, Flu, or Covid are the more likely suspects since they are transmitted in the air. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Oh2Bcruisin said:

We’re on as well. Doubt it’s norovirus, captain said respiratory. With the whole crew wearing masks RSV, Flu, or Covid are the more likely suspects since they are transmitted in the air. 

On our cruise, it was specifically cited as GI-related, so Norovirus.

My husband and I left Splendor on 7/31 and we both tested positive for COVID the next day when we arrived home.  In addition my husband experienced additional symptoms which surely indicated norovirus.  On our cruise, the crew often wore face masks which they quickly removed when they started interacting with the passengers.  And one of the shows had to be postponed until the entertainers had recovered.

So I would suggest that both COVID and norovirus have circulated on Splendor for several weeks.  Yes we frequently washed our hands and always used the hand sanitizers before entering any public space.  But we didn’t wear our masks which we probably should have.

8 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Frankly, I wish they wouldn’t. I have been cruising for over 50 years and had to deal with hacking coughs next to me in the lounge, bus and restaurant and there were no general announcements about it. This is an airborne virus , so it is what it is. Closing the library or the buffet is not going to curtail it

• Like 3

This is definitely COVID. Walked by a stateroom near ours and they were delivering meds specific to COVID and telling the person to stay isolated for the remainder of the trip. We are taking all precautions and wearing a mask whenever we are on a tender, bus etc. we’ve been washing hands and using sanitizer the entire trip. All ship personnel are wearing masks. 

28 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

We just got flu vaccine and getting new COVID vaccine this weekend.  Hope it helps us stay well on our next cruise this fall. 🤞🏻 

Did you get the US flu shot (expected strains to be prevalent in US) or EU flu shot (expected strains to be prevalent in Europe)?

2 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Did you get the US flu shot (expected strains to be prevalent in US) or EU flu shot (expected strains to be prevalent in Europe)?

We got US shot. Didn’t know there was a choice but we won’t be in Europe until May anyway. 

On 9/21/2023 at 7:44 AM, pappy1022 said:

NOT necessarily.   RSV is out there, too. There is a recently-approved vaccine for this one.  Just another virus.

15 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

This is definitely COVID. Walked by a stateroom near ours and they were delivering meds specific to COVID and telling the person to stay isolated for the remainder of the trip. We are taking all precautions and wearing a mask whenever we are on a tender, bus etc. we’ve been washing hands and using sanitizer the entire trip. All ship personnel are wearing masks. 

Wow, so much for privacy!

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

Not much privacy when the crew are wearing masks! 

Has nothing to do with masks. I was referring to the fact that the ship staff is discussing the passengers medical condition apparently in the hallway, within earshot of a passerby. Not cool

7 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

I was referring to the fact that the ship staff is discussing the passengers medical condition apparently in the hallway, within earshot of a passerby.

………. and that passerby decides it is a good idea to share private information on social media 🙄

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1