Celebrity Now Charging for Eden Cafe "Premium" Sandwiches

Cap_D

7 hours ago, hcat said:

How sad! 

but we never experienced that type of activity by X staff..

How it works:

You get on board and head straight for the Specialty restaurant(s) of your choice and all the times you want are booked-- The Maitre'd will ask for ( or you tell him/her ) your cabin # and tell you he/she will let you know if " something " comes available-- Then, you say " Gee, I really appreciate your help and look forward to your call ( and smile )--- It's pretty sure your " message " ( $$ ) was received.

Poof--- the call comes, you say Thank You ( $$ ) when you arrive for dinner -- everybody is happy.

C'est la vie --- That's life.

18 hours ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha. I totally agree with you but in my opinion respectfully the problem is there is no enforcement. 

Aloha.. I rather Celebrity work on enforcing their policies.  Lately, there are enough up charges.  There has to be other ways to balance their books.  

• Like 1

I'll try not to generalise here but in my experience Americans seem far more obsessed about paying for  an upgrade or getting better service than others.

No tables available ? Okay, I'm at the bar, call me when one is. If not, screw you - I'll take my custom elsewhere.

Resort fees ? Why on earth do you put up with that nonsense ? If a hotel in Europe tried that scam you'd laugh in their face.

25%+ for a gratuity ? I'll give you a tip - stop taking the piss.

I wonder how many cruisers pay for a drinks package and never actually use their daily quota in full, because even at 50% off you've got to have a thirst like WC Fields.

The more you give in to this nonsense the more you're going to have to pay if they think they can get away with it.

Ninja Cruising™ is the way to go.😉

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Baggy178 said:

I'll try not to generalise here but in my experience Americans seem far more obsessed about paying for  an upgrade or getting better service than others.

No tables available ? Okay, I'm at the bar, call me when one is. If not, screw you - I'll take my custom elsewhere.

Resort fees ? Why on earth do you put up with that nonsense ? If a hotel in Europe tried that scam you'd laugh in their face.

I wonder how many cruisers pay for a drinks package and never actually use their daily quota in full, because even at 50% off you've got to have a thirst like WC Fields.

The more you give in to this nonsense the more you're going to have to pay if they think they can get away with it.

Are you suggesting Brits wouldn’t put up with resort fees? Or tips at a named rate? Or they wouldn’t buy drinks packages? 

May be silly questions but I am not sure I get what you mean.

Edited by C4HCG

6 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

Aloha.. I rather Celebrity work on enforcing their policies.  Lately, there are enough up charges.  There has to be other ways to balance their books.  

Aloha. I say this with all due respect but what suggestions would you have? They are all between a rock and a hard place. Some have cut celerity chefs, charge for room service etc etc. Yes it’s penny pinching and nickel and diming but I don’t think enforcement is a reality just like and I am not trying to get political but anti police has almost turned to anarchy. The staff does not want to engage with passengers.

16 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

This is the way it used to be in Las Vegas many years ago. Everybody was seated by the Maitre’d or equivalent. You got in line extra early to get a good seat. The more you gave, the better seat you got. We have friends that went there a lot and said $20 or so, would get you center stage, pretty close to the front, this was in the mid 1970s though.

Aloha. My line of work required trips to Las Vegas about 6 times per year and your description is totally accurate. Those were the days lol!

23 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

What next?  No food included in base price of cruise?  We are Elite Plus on Celebrity and will be DiamondPlus on Royal.  Perhaps our time for cruising might be over.  AI resorts are truly all inclusive.  Maybe time to consider.

Aloha. Starting to transition to smaller ships more upscale lines although times have changed with them too. AI resorts are an option but except for Hawaii where we divide our time I get bored.

1 hour ago, C4HCG said:

Are you suggesting Brits wouldn’t put up with resort fees? Or tips at a named rate? Or they wouldn’t buy drinks packages? 

May be silly questions but I am not sure I get what you mean.

There's no such thing as resort fees in UK hotels. Why pay extra for what should be standard and included ?

Gratuities are optional but even if a restaurant includes a service charge it's never more than 20% and can be removed.

Slipping someone a crisp note to secure a better restaurant table ? They only do that in the movies.

It always strikes me as bizarre that some people pay extra not to be seated near the kitchen while others pay extra to be sat in front of a chef watching them cook.

And this idea of addressing a cook as Chef like you would address someone as Professor is another entirely American invention.

You may call him Chef Ramsay but to us he's just Gordon, the sweary pillock off the telly.

Fine dining ? It's an artificial concept dreamed up by restaurateurs to persuade diners to pay extra for a level of service and quality of food they should already be providing. It smacks of notions of grandeur which tbh most Brits have been rather cynical about since the Swinging Sixties brought more egalitarianism.

I'm not sure whether Americans have been browbeaten into accepting all this tosh or whether it's a cultural thing but I like to think we don't let the tail wag the dog.

Perhaps we just don't take ourselves seriously enough. We are fluent in sarcasm though  😅

Edited by Baggy178
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Baggy178 said:

There's no such thing as resort fees in UK hotels. Why pay extra for what should be standard and included.

Gratuities are optional but even if a restaurant includes a service charge it's never more than 20% and can be removed.

Slipping someone a crisp note to secure a better restaurant table ? They only do that in the movies.

Fine dining ? It's an artificial concept dreamed up by restaurateurs to persuade diners to pay extra for a level of service and quality of food they should already be providing. It smacks of notions of grandeur which tbh most Brits have been rather cynical about since the Swinging Sixties brought more egalitarianism.

I'm not sure whether Americans have been browbeaten into accepting all this tosh or whether it's a cultural thing but I like to think we don't let the tail wag the dog.

Ok, your perception of what makes the world go round differs from mine but no wish for a debate, will leave it there. I see lots of Brits us included paying resort fees, gratuities etc., call it tosh if you will but it’s reality.

Edited by C4HCG
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Ok, your perception of what makes the world go round differs from mine but no wish for a debate, will leave it there. I see lots of Brits us included paying resort fees, gratuities etc., call it tosh if you will but it’s reality.

Hey, it's your hard-earned moolah and you can spend it how you wish.

But on principle I'd never stay in a hotel that insisted on charging a resort fee for facilities they should be providing as standard.

There are always plenty of others that don't.

I can't help thinking some Americans actually enjoy paying the fee because it gives them a feeling of exclusivity and in that sense the scam has worked.

But like the fast food joint with a grubby cardboard box for tips on the counter it's not classy.

Edit: I see you're a Brit but my comments are not aimed at any one person in particular.

Just an observation from someone who owned property in the States for years and still visits regularly.

Edited by Baggy178

In a way you can see how this is playing out in changing fashions in cruising.

Before, there was Riff-Raff Class™ in the cheap seats and expandable waistlines of buffet dining.

Posh folk ate in the MDR.

Now the MDR has been dumbed down and the posh folk will only dine in the Specialty Restaurants.

New kids on the block Virgin have no buffets and every specialty restaurant is included for all without charge.

They recognise the age profile of cruisers is getting younger and this is reflected in less interest in faux formality and more about relaxed dining.

I haven't worn a shirt and tie in 20 years and I no longer posses a suit, jacket or formal trousers.

And I'd never dine in any restaurant which insisted on any of these.

Edited by Baggy178
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Baggy178 said:

In a way you can see how this is playing out in changing fashions in cruising.

Before, there was Riff-Raff Class™ in the cheap seats and expandable waistlines of buffet dining.

Posh folk ate in the MDR.

Now the MDR has been dumbed down and the posh folk will only dine in the Specialty Restaurants.

New kids on the block Virgin have no buffets and every specialty restaurant is included for all without charge.

They recognise the age profile of cruisers is getting younger and this is reflected in less interest in faux formality and more about relaxed dining.

I haven't worn a shirt and tie in 20 years and I no longer posses a suit, jacket or formal trousers.

And I'd never dine in any restaurant which insisted on any of these.

My DH wears jackets and suits.  We enjoy dressing for dinner.  A personal preference 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

Baggy 178

Absolutely you’re right.

But from what I notice it's a dying trend on cruise ships.

Cruise an holic

And so eventually will be all of us!  Lol

Dying on a cruise ship !!  Kind of morbid and kind of cool 😎 

Edited by Cruise till you drop

10 hours ago, Baggy178 said:

Well, the one always promoting bribing is Canadian...

4 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Well, the one always promoting bribing is Canadian...

Ooowwww -- I have a " feeling " who you are referring to.

So, let me ask you--- Someone in the Service Industry who relies on tips as part of their salary does you a favor and you give him/her a few $$ to say " Thanks, I appreciate what you did for me ". You call that a bribe ??? 

8 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Ooowwww -- I have a " feeling " who you are referring to.

So, let me ask you--- Someone in the Service Industry who relies on tips as part of their salary does you a favor and you give him/her a few $$ to say " Thanks, I appreciate what you did for me ". You call that a bribe ??? 

no, that is a tip because it is given AFTER.

it’s when you give money in advance in hopes of getting something done for you - which you are always saying to do for a great table, etc. - when it becomes a bribe 

Does anyone really care THAT much which table they're seated at in a restaurant ?

I can't say I've ever thought

about it.

And certainly not enough to pay for a different one.

I'm there for the food and drink and good company not the view.

Or is it more about being seen rather than seeing ?

I have never given $'s to request a better table but I have rejected a table I did not care for(i.e. by the kitchen) a few times.  Now that we are older we find we tend to get tables by kitchen or a table tucked in a smaller space in the back. 

On a cruise I do request a type of table in the MDR and find they will accommodate the request if possible. Honestly most tables are good. In Fine Cut I do prefer not to sit close to outside railing as the sound if the band is playing is too loud for good conversation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dazey said:

I have never given $'s to request a better table but I have rejected a table I did not care for(i.e. by the kitchen) a few times.  Now that we are older we find we tend to get tables by kitchen or a table tucked in a smaller space in the back. 

On a cruise I do request a type of table in the MDR and find they will accommodate the request if possible. Honestly most tables are good. In Fine Cut I do prefer not to sit close to outside railing as the sound if the band is playing is too loud for good conversation.

if the sound by the railing area is an issue   or a table is not in a good location we will  politely ask for another spot..no advance grats and no one holds out their hand for one.

.. grats goes on our cruise bill and cash is given  at end oc cruise,  if service was very good.  Extra tip is given at bars for drink servers. 

4 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

no, that is a tip because it is given AFTER.

it’s when you give money in advance in hopes of getting something done for you - which you are always saying to do for a great table, etc. - when it becomes a bribe 

I never once mentioned " table ", as in " can't you find us a better table than this "? 

I mentioned reservation at a time when they say, right on the first day, even before sailing " Sorry, we are booked up all week for the times you want ".

You smile and shake his/her hand with a few $$ and " Please notify me if anything becomes available ",then all of a sudden reservation(s)  become open.

LOL--- it's all part of the " game "--- So, what's the big deal ? The Maitre'd gets a few $$ and you get the reservation(s) -- it's all good.

( Never had a Maitre'd refuse--- only smile " I'll see what I can do ").

Bye the way, haven't we all seen on Cruise Planner where Specialty Restaurants were all booked and no advance reservations could be booked. 

Perhaps they hold back a few for suite passengers, but , the entire restaurant all week ???

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

I never once mentioned " table ", as in " can't you find us a better table than this "? 

I mentioned reservation at a time when they say, right on the first day, even before sailing " Sorry, we are booked up all week for the times you want ".

You smile and shake his/her hand with a few $$ and " Please notify me if anything becomes available ",then all of a sudden reservation(s)  become open.

LOL--- it's all part of the " game "--- So, what's the big deal ? The Maitre'd gets a few $$ and you get the reservation(s) -- it's all good.

( Never had a Maitre'd refuse--- only smile " I'll see what I can do ").

Bye the way, haven't we all seen on Cruise Planner where Specialty Restaurants were all booked and no advance reservations could be booked. 

Perhaps they hold back a few for suite passengers, but , the entire restaurant all week ???

Reservation, table, same basic idea.

Giving money in advance is a bribe.

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2023 at 9:09 AM, Tyler414 said:

These are new "premium" options.  Everything that was previously "free" in Eden cafe is still "free."

RELAX

Very important fact that was left out of the complaint.  Close to the same issue with the daily Lobster and Filet available for an extra charge on the MDR menu and the availability of extra cost specialty dining options in general.