Documents for Mediterranean cruise

Konfeta

4 hours ago, Konfeta said:

Hi, do I have to bring drivers license besides US passport or just  to make a photo of the drivers license will be enough 

When you go ashore on an excursion, you'll probably want to leave your passport in the safe on the ship.  Most ports they tell you to bring a photo ID along with your seapass to go ashore.  I always take my drivers license ashore with me.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

Most ports they tell you to bring a photo ID along with your seapass to go ashore.  I always take my drivers license ashore with me.

The US DL is no valid photo ID in Europe. 

There´s a current discussion on the Italy board that the Italian police is doing random checks in trains and near tourist attractions. For those random checks they want to see your passport (with your Schengen stamp) as a proof that you are no illegal alien.

steamboats

Just take a photocopy of your passport or photo on your phone, they can easily be checked as valid if there's an issue. If an actual passport is required Celebrity will make that clear for the rare ports where it is definitely required.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StopTheWorld said:

I’m European and would NEVER carry my passport with me when I leave the ship. . 

As a European I do have my German ID card which is valid for travel within the EU. So for me there´s no need to carry my passport. But in Italy the law requires you to have a legal ID with you. And for non EU citizens this is the passport which also holds the Schengen stamp to proof that you are legally within the Schengen area. A DL is worthless within Europe and will only help you to get through the security to board the ship but not in a police control.

steamboats

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

Ready the other thread... Italy is doing random checks and the fine when you don't carry a legal document is hefty.  steamboats 

Mr. Steamboats,

Can you post a link showing what documents are required to be carried on person in Italy?

Advice from UK Government on travel to Italy:

"Personal ID

By law, you must always be able to show some form of identification. In most cases a photocopy of the data page of your passport should be enough, but you may also be asked for a second form of photo ID. The police will normally ask for your full passport if you are stopped while driving."

On 9/27/2023 at 9:02 AM, steamboats said:

As a European I do have my German ID card which is valid for travel within the EU. So for me there´s no need to carry my passport. But in Italy the law requires you to have a legal ID with you. And for non EU citizens this is the passport which also holds the Schengen stamp to proof that you are legally within the Schengen area. A DL is worthless within Europe and will only help you to get through the security to board the ship but not in a police control.

steamboats

Have always have my US DL accepted.  Where you are confused is there are two levels of DL in the US.  Older licenses are not valid as Federal ID or travel.   Newer ones if you provide additional details and proofs are valid as Federal ID.

8 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Have always have my US DL accepted.  Where you are confused is there are two levels of DL in the US.  Older licenses are not valid as Federal ID or travel.   Newer ones if you provide additional details and proofs are valid as Federal ID.

Your DL might be o.k. at the port security (which is no governmental authority but a private security companay) for identification but your only legal document for traveling within Europe is your passport. Even the European DLs are no legal document for identification within Europe. The only legal documents for traveling in Europe are passports and for Europeans an ID card issued by the country.

I quote @euro cruiser from the other thread:

"Italian law requires everyone to carry a national ID at all times.  The only national ID for Americans is a passport.

Here is the relevant part of the law, translated by google:

"3. The foreigner who, at the request of the officers and agents of public safety, does not comply, without justified reason, to the order to produce the passport or other document of identification and residence permit or other document certifying regular presence in the territory of the State is punished with imprisonment of up to one year and a fine of up to 2,000 euros."

The full law can be read here:  DECRETO LEGISLATIVO 25 luglio 1998, n. 286 - Normattiva

The quote above is from Article 6, paragraph 3."

steamboats

Again, while the conversation and postulating about what might happen is interesting, the bottom line for me isn't about what is, or even what should be.  It's about how much of my precious and all too little vacation time I'm willing to waste straightening out something like this.  I know a fast and easy way to avoid it, carry my passport.  I acknowledge that this choice comes with some risks, but I feel comfortable that I can minimize those risks.  

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, HeddaGarbled said:

Realistically, what are they going to do if you don’t produce your passport?

I don't want to find out.  I have a travel purse with all kinds of theft-resistant features, and my passport is always with me.   Of course, it's not a guarantee that it won't get stolen, but neither is putting it in a hotel safe.