Onboard Explora 1 (Sept 25- Oct 13) with Hank

Hlitner

18 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

We won’t be ordering any on Explora. 

What will you drink then?

I agree their markup is over the top - and hence we didn’t buy anything - so their loss as we explained to them 

Interestingly we bought a bottle ashore and asked as to the corkage charge - they went away and came back with “there will be no charge for corkage” - at this point anyway - we got the feeling that it was something they hadn’t really decided on just yet so it will be interesting to see how that develops for wine guests bring onboard 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

What will you drink then?

I agree their markup is over the top - and hence we didn’t buy anything - so their loss as we explained to them 

Interestingly we bought a bottle ashore and asked as to the corkage charge - they went away and came back with “there will be no charge for corkage” - at this point anyway - we got the feeling that it was something they hadn’t really decided on just yet so it will be interesting to see how that develops for wine guests bring onboard 

Interesting idea…buying wine in port and bringing it back with you! 

10 hours ago, florisdekort said:

The problem with Explora’s premium wine list is that the wines are priced as if you haven’t already paid (a lot) for an ultra luxury cruise. They use the same if not higher markups as premium restaurants on shore. Two examples: I can get a bottle of Dom P for 40% less on Seabourn, and a bottle of Opus One for a whopping 65% less. We order a lot of premium wine on Seabourn because it’s roughly being sold at or slightly above retail prices. We won’t be ordering any on Explora. 

I think this company has a degree of arrogance and naïveté when it comes to pricing.  We see it with the premium wines, up charges for not so top shelf booze, cooking lessons, many excursions, and Anthology.  It is almost like they think their customers are all fabulously wealthy and do not mind paying ridiculous mark-ups.

EJ forgets that many folks who have money are also wise enough to seek value.  Perhaps they can find a customer base happy to overpay, but we have our doubts.  Many who cruise on luxury lines are quite savvy and easily move between various lines based on pricing and itinerary.  

Hank

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I think this company has a degree of arrogance and naïveté when it comes to pricing.  We see it with the premium wines, up charges for not so top shelf booze, cooking lessons, many excursions, and Anthology.  It is almost like they think their customers are all fabulously wealthy and do not mind paying ridiculous mark-ups.

EJ forgets that many folks who have money are also wise enough to seek value.  Perhaps they can find a customer base happy to overpay, but we have our doubts.  Many who cruise on luxury lines are quite savvy and easily move between various lines based on pricing and itinerary.  

Hank

Yes…just because guest probably CAN pay those markups does not mean the WILL. 😉

Edited by happy cruzin
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

EJ forgets that many folks who have money are also wise enough to seek value.  Perhaps they can find a customer base happy to overpay,

You are quite right. A high school buddy of mine became a college professor and co-authored a popular "NYTimes best seller" "The Millionaire Next Door". He got the idea for the book having been hired to consult on marketing to clientele for luxury vehicles. Using IRS data he discovered there are basically two kinds of millionaires. Those that earned it themselves and those that inherited their wealth. Who do you think bought status symbols?

• Like 2

I saw Moet on the included wine list and didn’t recognize the others, but assumed they would all come in around a similar price point.

That said, looking into it more, they are all $10-$15/bottle wines… not that price is everything when it comes to wine, but I find that odd given everything else available from the bar.

Since I am sober 35 years I do not have a dog in this hunt. And my wife is happy with the “free” wines. I am a lucky man. All around. 
Hard to believe that no corkage if you bring wine on board. All other ships I know of charge $15-$20. Some don’t allow it at all. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

Since I am sober 35 years I do not have a dog in this hunt. And my wife is happy with the “free” wines. I am a lucky man. All around. 
Hard to believe that no corkage if you bring wine on board. All other ships I know of charge $15-$20. Some don’t allow it at all. 

Me too.... kind of surprised they are allowing any to be brought back on at all!

8 minutes ago, happy cruzin said:

Me too.... kind of surprised they are allowing any to be brought back on at all!

Seabourn doesn’t charge corkage. Why would they? Much better for them if you drink wine you bring yourself than included wine they have to pay for 🙂 So I’m not surprised at all Explora doesn’t do either. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, happy cruzin said:

Nice to see Explora treat you like an adult in this respect 

6 hours ago, aururab said:

I saw Moet on the included wine list and didn’t recognize the others, but assumed they would all come in around a similar price point.

That said, looking into it more, they are all $10-$15/bottle wines… not that price is everything when it comes to wine, but I find that odd given everything else available from the bar.

I don’t know of any luxury line where the price of the all inclusive wines matches the price of the house Champagne - the champagne is always about 3 times more expensive than the average price of the standard inclusive reds and whites

Having Moet as the standard pour champagne is very nice for us champagne drinkers 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

I don’t know of any luxury line where the price of the all inclusive wines matches the price of the house Champagne - the champagne is always about 3 times more expensive than the average price of the standard inclusive reds and whites

Having Moet as the standard pour champagne is very nice for us champagne drinkers 

Stickman I posted on another topic the price increases i have recently seen on E J as well as Oceania Vista

Have you seen them ?Oceania Vista increaed 40% for a january 24 sailing very interesting increases in the higher end market?

44 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

Stickman I posted on another topic the price increases i have recently seen on E J as well as Oceania Vista

Have you seen them ?Oceania Vista increaed 40% for a january 24 sailing very interesting increases in the higher end market?

I haven’t seen that but I don’t track Oceania (despite my TA telling me we should consider it) - it doesn’t surprise me though as lines will try to maximise revenue and if bookings are going well they’ll edge up fares if they can get away with it 

My philosophy is to book early and secure the price (not so keen on paying early though after our Crystal experience in 2022) - so 2024 is pretty much booked up already - so it’s 2025 fares I’m looking at now and I’m waiting on Explora to announce their mid to late 2025 itineraries as we want to return for sure 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

I haven’t seen that but I don’t track Oceania (despite my TA telling me we should consider it) - it doesn’t surprise me though as lines will try to maximise revenue and if bookings are going well they’ll edge up fares if they can get away with it 

My philosophy is to book early and secure the price (not so keen on paying early though after our Crystal experience in 2022) - so 2024 is pretty much booked up already - so it’s 2025 fares I’m looking at now and I’m waiting on Explora to announce their mid to late 2025 itineraries as we want to return for sure 

I was on Oceania Sirena when covid hit and am booked on thr Vista for Late January  its definitely worth a look. It was today that i noticed the increaes. It does not apply to my booking.  The new Vista is getting excellent reviews

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wheelhouse said:

We docked yesterday on the Oceania Vista at Quebec City and walked right into town. Mein Schiff was right near us. The place was wall to wall people on a Sunday. I was hoping to see Explora1 go by. 

Yes saw the Vista in town yesterday  and also  saw it from lunch at Bistro Sam at the Chateau Frontenac 

8 minutes ago, Wheelhouse said:

We docked yesterday on the Oceania Vista at Quebec City and walked right into town. Mein Schiff was right near us. The place was wall to wall people on a Sunday. I was hoping to see Explora1 go by. 

How do you like the Vista thanks

28 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

Are you just arriving we have been here for 3 days

Lol, We are on time and docked at 5.  But not at the normal port at the lower city.  Our pier is in the commercial port a good mile from the main part of town.  You would not even see much of us from the Hotel Frontenac.  Once saw the Queen Mary 2 at this location, but this is our first time to be at this lousy location.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Waltershipman said:

How do you like the Vista thanks

We are enjoying ourselves. It feels like a regular cruise ship if you know what I am trying to say. The food has lived up to its reputation and we find the main dining room very elegant. There are no passengers under age forty and very few under age sixty.   Dr Koob has live blog running on the Oceania forum. I asked for a bottle of Lagavulin16 and they provided it at a fair price.  

6 minutes ago, Wheelhouse said:

We are enjoying ourselves. It feels like a regular cruise ship if you know what I am trying to say. The food has lived up to its reputation and we find the main dining room very elegant. There are no passengers under age forty and very few under age sixty.   Dr Koob has live blog running on the Oceania forum. I asked for a bottle of Lagavulin16 and they provided it at a fair price.  

Excellent thanks so much

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Lol, We are on time and docked at 5.  But not at the normal port at the lower city.  Our pier is in the commercial port a good mile from the main part of town.  You would not even see much of us from the Hotel Frontenac.  Once saw the Queen Mary 2 at this location, but this is our first time to be at this lousy location.

That’s a real shame. I’m hoping for a better spot on 20 October when Explora 1 is the only ship in town.

On 10/1/2023 at 3:58 PM, Stickman1990 said:

I don’t believe the concierge staff have worn uniforms in the past on Crystal so not sure it’s a change with new Crystal. They may wear uniforms on formal occasions but it’s not their day to day dress 

Some lines like Crystal do have a lot of crew in uniforms eg Cruise Directors but Explora tend not to. Interestingly when I spoke to Monique - quasi cruise director (not her official title) as I can’t recall the names Explora call her role she confirmed her ranking around the ship was senior when she explained she would be one of the last people (a handful) to leave the ship in an emergency 

The concierge on Crystal has always worn a "uniform". Not one like the officers but suit type with tie, etc.

• Like 1