Wonderland and Diet Restrictions

LuCruise

We have Wonder booked next year and I've always eyed Wonderland as it seems like a neat experience.  And seems like Wonderland should be booked on Wonder. 😉

DH and I both eat fish/seafood but we don't eat beef or chicken.  DH also has an allergy to tree nuts (almonds are ok, but none of the others),

I know it's a bunch of small dishes.  Will there be enough items we can eat?  Or would we miss out on a lot and it wouldn't be worth it? 

Edited by LuCruise

1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

We have Wonder booked next year and I've always eyed Wonderland as it seems like a neat experience.  And seems like Wonderland should be booked on Wonder. 😉

DH and I both eat fish/seafood but we don't eat beef or chicken.  DH also has an allergy to tree nuts (almonds are ok, but none of the others),

I know it's a bunch of small dishes.  Will there be enough items we can eat?  Or would we miss out on a lot and it wouldn't be worth it? 

I think you will be fine.  The main course the Halibut was very good.  The rest are small dishes and the majority of them would be fine. 

We had someone in our party with allergies and diet restrictions our first time at Wonderland...
There were a lot of options available and they modified a few of the smaller plates

The other times we've dined there (Harmony and Symphony) We tried other dishes... I do like the Halibut but I fell in love with the Branzino 

The World dessert is worth it!! 

Edited by LilBlackDress
  • Like 1

Wonderland, Ovation...before our meal, the waiter asked if we had any dietery restrictions.

I said, "Yes, I'm allergic to shrimp".

During our meal, I had difficulty breathing, and excused ourselves from the table. (I did not want an "Alpha, Alpha, Alpha") We went straight down to the medical unit.

The nurses and the doctor were outstanding. The doctor said that I may have been served something with shrimp in Wonderland...after a 5 hour stay in the medical unit, the doctor released me...I was fine.

* My medical bill was $1,702.17...ultimately reimbursed by our health insurance.

3 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

* My medical bill was $1,702.17...ultimately reimbursed by our health insurance.

Wow.

Glad everything turned out okay but that high a bill surprised me for 2 reasons.

1. I have seen them waive nearly all bills where there is any chance it was due to something caused by them 

2. That amount is huge compared to what I have seen some bills.  Vikki's was around $100 for a visit for a perforated ear drum and an antibiotic on our last cruise.  I realize yours was more serious but 17x....wow. 

Thank goodness for insurance

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Wonderland, Ovation...before our meal, the waiter asked if we had any dietery restrictions.

During our meal, I had difficulty breathing, and excused ourselves from the table. (I did not want an "Alpha, Alpha, Alpha") We went straight down to the medical unit.

The nurses and the doctor were outstanding. The doctor said that I may have been served something with shrimp in Wonderland...after a 5 hour stay in the medical unit, the doctor released me...I was fine.

That's horrible. Sorry you went through that, even after telling them.  And that's one hefty medical bill!  Hopefully you can fight it, as you did mention your allergy.  Glad you are ok.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha. Have dined twice and enjoyed it. I am confident they have protocols to address your issues. Please keep us posted. All the best!

Thanks. Great to hear.  Still deciding if we want to book it, but since Black Friday is coming up next month, starting to think about what to book.  We also have our DD with us (teenager), who is semi picky these days, but she's the one that wanted to go there in the past (prob more for the atmosphere and different experience).

13 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Communicate to the staff prior to your visit. Staff members don’t always understand what restrictions means. 

I don't know... I think that nowdays you're asked about dietary restrictions at every meal. They don't want a Code Alpha called in their restaurant. 

While not RCCI-specific, many galleys have easy-to-understand signage for the waiters and chefs would can further identify any potential for cross contamination or need to separately prepare food. And chefs who can identify issues with other allergies or dietary/preparation requirements.  

This sign would be hung at the French Toast serving station in the galley.

image.png.f93269e0c9974b48722132b01471f3f3.png

Edited by BirdTravels

3 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Thanks. Great to hear.  Still deciding if we want to book it, but since Black Friday is coming up next month, starting to think about what to book.  We also have our DD with us (teenager), who is semi picky these days, but she's the one that wanted to go there in the past (prob more for the atmosphere and different experience).

Aloha. There are some videos I believe on a website not to be named lol. It is a very interesting and enjoyable experience and the best part is if you not not pleased with a particular course there is always the windjammer lol 

• Like 1

As I recall, the menus and the wait staff detail what is in each dish.  Your selection, unless you opt to have the waitstaff select for you.  Thus any issues with dietary restrictions rest on you.Celiac sufferers will probably have the biggest difficulty, but waitstaff can assist.

9 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Sorry to hear this

And glad medical resolved quickly 👍🏻

We had also advised prior to meal that DW was allergic to all shell fish 🍤 

My DW ordered a pork dish in Wonderand with crackling, we find out after the fact that the crackling is deep fried in the same oil they used to fry the shrimp 

(WHY) was our response 

That was the straw that broke the camels back and we. Are 4 and done with Wonderland

Might not be a big deal for some, but it is kind of a serious health issue.

It’s a shame, as we did really enjoy the other 3 experiences 

Glad all worked out well for you 😎

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

As I recall, the menus and the wait staff detail what is in each dish.  Your selection, unless you opt to have the waitstaff select for you.  Thus any issues with dietary restrictions rest on you.Celiac sufferers will probably have the biggest difficulty, but waitstaff can assist.

I've seen people post  pictures from there, but didn't realize there was a choice.  Thought it's a set menu and they just brought out the items. Good to know.

42 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

I beg to differ, even when fully disclosed mistakes happen 

and some food allergies can be fatal 

Edited by PompeySailor

On 9/30/2023 at 7:37 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

I think you will be fine.  The main course the Halibut was very good.  The rest are small dishes and the majority of them would be fine. 

We dined in Wonderland on Wonder in May and this was how my Halibut was served. Sadly it didn't look or taste good. Curious if what you had was prepared and looked the same. 

Halibut.jpg

9 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Wow.

Glad everything turned out okay but that high a bill surprised me for 2 reasons.

1. I have seen them waive nearly all bills where there is any chance it was due to something caused by them 

2. That amount is huge compared to what I have seen some bills.  Vikki's was around $100 for a visit for a perforated ear drum and an antibiotic on our last cruise.  I realize yours was more serious but 17x....wow. 

Thank goodness for insurance

I politely spoke to the AMD, Maitre D', ROM, and HD...to no avail...they wouldn't waive the bill. Upon reflection, perhaps we should've had the "Alpha, Alpha, Alpha" announced instead.

* The AMD invited us back to eat our dessert. :classic_blink:

• Like 2

14 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

We dined in Wonderland on Wonder in May and this was how my Halibut was served. Sadly it didn't look or taste good. Curious if what you had was prepared and looked the same. 

Halibut.jpg

That is how the Halibut is prepared... 
I have had it 3 times and it was fantastic each time. But like I said above, I fell in love with the Branzino 
Edit to add one of my pics 

20170227_221127.jpg

Edited by LilBlackDress
  • Like 1

They both look pretty good to me.  Thanks for sharing the photos.

Need to decide if Wonderland is for us.  I did look at the menu after my post and it may be a little too .adventurous for us (but still considering booking for the experience)

I spent about 70 minutes in the ship medical facility before they returned to port and off loaded us to an ambulance. They charged me just over $2,200 for what was billed as 70 minutes in their ICU. Luckily we had out of country medical insurance and they paid all but about two hundred of that bill. Surprisingly our regular heatlhcare coverage paid 100% of the bill in the San Juan hospital. They were even in network!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cello56 said:

I spent about 70 minutes in the ship medical facility before they returned to port and off loaded us to an ambulance. They charged me just over $2,200 for what was billed as 70 minutes in their ICU. Luckily we had out of country medical insurance and they paid all but about two hundred of that bill. Surprisingly our regular heatlhcare coverage paid 100% of the bill in the San Juan hospital. They were even in network!

Was that for an allergic reaction to food in Wonderland or something completely different ?

34 minutes ago, cello56 said:

@cello56

was this for an allergic reaction to food in Wonderland?

Or for something totally unrelated ?

3 hours ago, LuCruise said:

They both look pretty good to me.  Thanks for sharing the photos.

Need to decide if Wonderland is for us.  I did look at the menu after my post and it may be a little too .adventurous for us (but still considering booking for the experience)

That is what we initially though as both of our kids are not that adventurous.  We made early reservations so that id we were still hungry we would still have time to hit the WJ.  Never needed to, more than enough to eat.

• Like 1