Billed $5,000 for covid medical care

Wavedance

We're currently onboard Marina, and my husband and I both came down with covid, two days apart. Today we just pulled up our room charges and in disbelief looked at around $5,500 in charges at the medical center. For me, I'm billed over $1200 for a PCR test and paxlovid. Our home tests already showed I had covid, but I went to the medical center to get paxlovid. They pushed unnecessary treatment on my husband (infusion of electrolytes and antibiotics). And tried to with me. They also required my husband to return on Day 2, and charged him another $1,100. We are disputing these scam  charges with the Concierge, with the Horel Manager and with corporate if needed. Unconscionable! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wavedance said:

We're currently onboard Marina, and my husband and I both came down with covid, two days apart. Today we just pulled up our room charges and in disbelief looked at around $5,500 in charges at the medical center. For me, I'm billed over $1200 for a PCR test and paxlovid. Our home tests already showed I had covid, but I went to the medical center to get paxlovid. They pushed unnecessary treatment on my husband (infusion of electrolytes and antibiotics). And tried to with me. They also required my husband to return on Day 2, and charged him another $1,100. We are disputing these scam  charges with the Concierge, with the Horel Manager and with corporate if needed. Unconscionable! 

Why did you decide IV electrolytes and antibiotics were unnecessary?  Are you a doctor?  To call them scam charges is just your opinion.  Can you back up your comments with hard data?

• Like 3

I am a retired Dr currently on Vista and I also feel these charges and tests were unnecessary and it’s nothing more than another profit center for the cruise line. When my wife and I had Covid (not on a  ship) we just did teledoc type appointments and had the Paxlovid called into our respective pharmacies.  It’s no wonder people do not report positive Covid tests when on a cruise ship. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Wheelhouse said:

I am a retired Dr currently on Vista and I also feel these charges and tests were unnecessary and it’s nothing more than another profit center for the cruise line. When my wife and I had Covid (not on a  ship) we just did teledoc type appointments and had the Paxlovid called into our respective pharmacies.  It’s no wonder people do not report positive Covid tests when on a cruise ship. 

If you don't want to pay for the service being provided onboard, don't go see them.  Of course, there may be some complications.

• Like 2

My travel health insurance requires me or a representative to contact them as soon as possible after receiving emergency care and before if possible.  These type of incidents seem to be common when dealing with ships’ medical facilities and suggest that paying for a very expensive satellite phone call to your insurer upfront is money well spent especially if your provider has expertise available to challenge the medical necessity of proposed treatments and can get the changes reversed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems that many ships' medical centers err toward over-treatment. And it will typically be pricey. Not saying it should be this way, but that it is often this way.

I can understand OP's frustration! One small quibble - I think it's standard for the medical center to (re)test you for COVID before prescribing paxlovid. Not like they have unlimited quantities onboard. 

Agree with. @Heartfelttraveler- travel medical coverage is relatively inexpensive and has covered such costs for us. Good point @RPen63

We've used onboard medical on O and charges were indeed eye watering compared to those at home. But insurance made our net cost low. If we weren't travelling we probably would have let it run its course (this was pre-covid). For us, being on a much-anticipated cruise means we seek treatment sooner/at lower threshold than at home. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DOJO466 said:

My travel insurance covered $6200 within 4 weeks of submission. There was no need for me to contact them p[rior to or during treatment. Settled after I arrived home.

Great to hear that our travel insurance may cover this!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wavedance said:

@Wavedance Sorry this happened to you.  It could have happened to me or anyone else. It is clear you have cruised many times before.  The stories of the Cruise Brands Medical Cost are legendary.  The Covid virus has made it even worse.  That is why, no matter what we all do, getting sick or hurt on a cruise is a concern that needs to be planned to be resolve.  

This issue in excessive cost is not an Oceania Cruise exclusive situation as some have clearly outlined.  It is an industry issue.  Again, if you have ever cruised, you know this could happen to all of us.  If you don't know, this posting/thread should make you aware of it now. I might of missed it but I did not see any reference to Cruise Travel Insurance from the author. 

My experience was my son got sick on an excursion recently.  He could not fully take in air.  We went to the ship hospital, he had some test and the cost for 90 minutes was just at $1,000.00.  When the cruise was over, I sent in the receipt to the cruise insurance company and it was paid in 15 business days.  In a different situations, 8 days prior to a cruise, my wife got covid.  I was going to lose $4,500.00 in cancelations fees.  I sent in the documentation and was fully reimbursed in 12 business days.  Someone said that their cruise insurance needed some sort of pre-authorization prior to payment.  That was not the case for my policy or insurance company.  The bottom line is, all the cruise hospitals gives you is a very detailed bill.  Then they charge your credit card on your account.  The do not call the company because it is you or I that have to pay them.  

In my situations, what I did not do is blame the cruise line, the ship hospitals or the level of expense. I could have, maybe I should have because even though I had coverage, I was still frustrated. However, that would not get me whole financially. I have cruise for decades, it is what it is and we all knew the rules upfront. It made it a lot easier when I was made whole financially.  The expense was not the issue as was the loss of part of our vacation. 

I know my opinion here will NOT be popular.  It is always so much easier to blame a brand, regardless of the brand for these kinds of situation.  Call the brand a ripoff, or unfair.  It feels better to let out our emotions especially if the money is a complete loss to my pocket book, the cruise was negatively effected when this happens, and I felt completely out of control.  None of this was caused by the brand, people get sick, hospitals charge to much and insurance is here for a reason. 

Again, I would not want this type of situation to happen to anyone.  But we all know the rules to the game.  Make sure you cover your bets if not now, in the future.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

unfortunately  you never know when you will get sick or have an accident while on a cruise

Trip insurance  with medical coverage  is   a must have  as we age

Already on the current cruise several people have had accidents

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1