Nieuw Statendam - Israel War Breaking Out

CNSJ

N. Statendam arrived this morning in Haifa for what was a two day visit followed by a day in Ashdod, Israel.

Tour departed early this AM.  We were on tour of Galilee region at Jordan River when we were all recalled to the ship.  Awaiting last passengers to return so we can depart for sea as soon as possible. Three days in Holy Land has become three hours.  So many on this cruise picked this itinerary for Israel.  Obviously this is beyond HALs control.  

Captain just informed us that we are sailing in a few hours..at sea tomorrow followed by a stop in Analya Turkey on Monday, then back to our scheduled stop in Cyprus on Tuesday.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 12

I am an American/Israeli and my adult children are in Israel -One in the North in the Galilee and one in the South in Eilat.  I've been texting with them and they are fine for now but it's terrifying what's going on.  I'm glad HAL is getting you out of there. 

Edited by Moriah
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

I’m due to stop in Israel via cruise in late November so I’m monitoring how cruises currently in the region react.  Of course, we’ve always known something like this was possible in this region.  My primary interest is how the cruise industries react in the hours, days, and weeks following today’s Hamas attacks.  Interested to learn whether cruise companies will flat out cancel Israel landings for the near future for all of Israel, part of Israel, and where cruise companies tend to visit as alternatives in this event.  I’ll be on Viking Cruises Cities of Antiquity & The Holy Land itinerary which has 1 night in Ashdod, 2 nights in Haifa arriving in Israel from Rhodes/Cyprus and visiting Crete/Naples/Rome after departing Israel

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dcbiker97 said:

Captain just announced that we will be arriving tomorrow in Cyprus and then having an overnight in Cyprus. Then we will have a sea day.  In addition, we will be having a 2nd overnight in Egypt. 

Are you on the Nieuw Statendam ?  Just confirmed with a ships officer, sea day, Alayna Turkey - then normal schedule…

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kathy49 said:

Having two overnights in Egypt is a real plus....so much to see there.  Enjoy.

with the two nights in Alex I would seriously consider doing the overnight in Cairo Excursion. if it is offered. Example here...https://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/tour/one-night-cairo-alexandria/eualovernight

Seeing the pyramids lit up at night is something you will never forget. Just going down for the day ie better than nothing but this is now an option with the two nights and assume that HAL may offer something like this one. Just a suggestion for those that may never get to this part of the world on another land or sea trip.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

Hope the last 2 passengers made it back.  FB post said they were waiting as long as possible 🤷‍♀️

Wow what a stresser for the captain and obviously for those passengers. Must have been on privately planned excursion ....I assume anyone getting off the ship takes passport with right?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

Wow what a stresser for the captain and obviously for those passengers. Must have been on privately planned excursion ....I assume anyone getting off the ship takes passport with right?

The poster mentioned it was an independent excursion.  Haven’t seen an update yet.  Very scary situation.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

The poster mentioned it was an independent excursion.  Haven’t seen an update yet.  Very scary situation.

what is the protocol for those taking independent excursions is countries like Israel? I would think some forms would be filled out stating who they are with and contact for them as well as passengers? I know this does not happen in many ports but security in Israel is different....I would think Israel wants to know where each cruise passenger is headed too. Probably not protocol but maybe it should be.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

what is the protocol for those taking independent excursions is countries like Israel? I would think some forms would be filled out stating who they are with and contact for them as well as passengers? I know this does not happen in many ports but security in Israel is different....I would think Israel wants to know where each cruise passenger is headed too. Probably not protocol but maybe it should be.

I am pretty sure cruise ship policy is no different than an airline or hotel.  They will assist if possible but they can’t extract you if needed.  This is an unfortunate and alarming situation so I hope for the best for those missing persons but to stay may well endanger the lives of many more 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 5

I think the protocol for when a ship departs early is different than when you fail to return on time for scheduled departure.

if ship was in imminent danger, Captain may have had to consider leaving many behind.

I’m just happy we were not in Ashdod when this started - rockets were flying overhead there….

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I'm so glad the missing passengers returned to the ship and pray for the people who have to be disembarked due to a medical condition - what a horrible time for a medical emergency!   Please keep us updated as you can; we worry about all of you.

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you for keeping everyone updated.  Hoping you all leave Haifa soon.  Is Oceania Nautica still sitting there with the Nieuw Statendam?

I think so, I’ll look again as we depart.

• Thanks 1