Candy straws?

sleepless

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I have no issue with paper straws and I understand that elimination of plastic straws is a feel good item that falls short of what should be done.  Want to make an actual impact then eliminate all small plastic beverage containers and plastic bags across the board & everywhere.  Won't happen though.   In the meantime we can use our paper straws all feel great about how environmentally conscious we are while sitting on our mega cruise ships.😀

Plastic straws are the popular "target" for elimination because of two reasons, IMHO:

1. The visual evidence that turtles and other wildlife confuse straws for food (seaweed and other tubular plant life) is very compelling, so it makes for an easy explanation of "why plastic straws are bad".

2. Plastic straws are very "optional" in use - e.g. they get dropped off whenever I order a water at a restaurant, and I never use them, and I try to say "keep the straw" nut it doesn't always work.  And they have a variety of replacement options - the apparently unpopular candy straws, but also pasta-based straws, paper straws (some I've used last quite a while), and of course re-usable metal straws (my wife likes to use them).

In Carnival's case, they got hammered over their "accidental" dumping of plastic in the ship waste.  Straws seem to be the difficult item to sort out, so maybe they picked that because it is the thing that makes it easiest to comply for them - the vast majority of the plastic waste created on-board is dealt with by the crew (behind the bar, etc), whereas straws are the one frequent item that are the "responsibility" of the pax, and therefore least controllable.

Specifically:

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Want to make an actual impact then eliminate all small plastic beverage containers and plastic bags

This is happening in many places.  But onboard, how much of that waste is created and likely to end up overboard accidentally?

EDIT: forgot to add: so straws are the easy target that provides some nominal impact yet in theory doesn't inconvenience the pax.  Except it obviously does, since the acceptance of the candy straw replacements is not exactly universal...

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

10 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Plastic straws are the popular "target" for elimination because of two reasons, IMHO:

1. The visual evidence that turtles and other wildlife confuse straws for food (seaweed and other tubular plant life) is very compelling, so it makes for an easy explanation of "why plastic straws are bad".

2. Plastic straws are very "optional" in use - e.g. they get dropped off whenever I order a water at a restaurant, and I never use them, and I try to say "keep the straw" nut it doesn't always work.  And they have a variety of replacement options - the apparently unpopular candy straws, but also pasta-based straws, paper straws (some I've used last quite a while), and of course re-usable metal straws (my wife likes to use them).

In Carnival's case, they got hammered over their "accidental" dumping of plastic in the ship waste.  Straws seem to be the difficult item to sort out, so maybe they picked that because it is the thing that makes it easiest to comply for them - the vast majority of the plastic waste created on-board is dealt with by the crew (behind the bar, etc), whereas straws are the one frequent item that are the "responsibility" of the pax, and therefore least controllable.

Specifically:

This is happening in many places.  But onboard, how much of that waste is created and likely to end up overboard accidentally?

EDIT: forgot to add: so straws are the easy target that provides some nominal impact yet in theory doesn't inconvenience the pax.  Except it obviously does, since the acceptance of the candy straw replacements is not exactly universal...

I agree straws are an easy target and, again, have no issue using paper ones.  At the same time I doubt their removal even moves the needle when it comes to environmental impacts.  But we can all feel good about making the sacrifice!  

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I agree straws are an easy target and, again, have no issue using paper ones.  At the same time I doubt their removal even moves the needle when it comes to environmental impacts.  But we can all feel good about making the sacrifice!  

I make up for the needless greenwashing by refusing to reuse my towels.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I make up for the needless greenwashing by refusing to reuse my towels.

I have no issue reusing a towel, if it is reusable.  Even if the real reason is to keep laundry costs down, I'm OK with it.  Every little bit helps, but I hope everyone recognizes that these kinds of things are doing little to nothing to offset the environmental impact of the cruise ships themselves.  

Why oh why can't Carnival use the compostable cornstarch straws that Royal uses?  I bought some on Amazon and that's what I take on Carnival cruises. I can attest to the fact that they do break down.  After a while they get brittle and crumble.  Tip: don't buy them in bulk.  You will have to throw them away. To be honest, I have actually cut way down on my straw usage.  I have adapted to going without for most drinks, but some things just need to have a straw!   

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ldubs said:

Well, I think it is a thin-end-of-the-wedge type thing.

Plastic bags and single-use plastics are now being phased out/banned in many places.  Once you make people aware of an idea and get their buy-in, making further changes is easier.  The trick will be spreading that mindset to the entire world, including some places in east Asia that are huge consumers (and poor recyclers) of such items.

Amusingly, I remember when paper bags were being phased out in favor of plastic "to save the trees".  Nowadays there is a concerted effort to emphasize managed wood pulp production (and maybe even mass-production sourcing from hemp), and paper is the preferred material.  Oh, and reusable grocery bags (often made out of "man-made" materials) are often more intensive for production and then as eventual waste compared to just using the equivalent single-use plastic bags.

Or, if you want to be paranoid: it is all part of the global conspiracy to brainwash you into giving up cheap plastics in favor of bespoke artisanal multi-use items to keep you under "their" thumb.  😉 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Of course this would get derailed into the discussions of evils of plastic.  Good grief.  I am sure there is am empty soapbox on your local street corner to occupy.

I agree with the poster than mentioned using the alternative that RCCL has went with.  Definitely a more useful straw.  Carnivals turn to an awful gooey mess almost instantly.  Surely this isn't news to them.  Out of curiosity what is the cost of the metal ones they sell?  I never did ask while onboard.

I guess the next few posters will be barrage of facts and figures on plastic.  😃

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, edrussell said:

Of course this would get derailed into the discussions of evils of plastic.  Good grief.  I am sure there is am empty soapbox on your local street corner to occupy.

I agree with the poster than mentioned using the alternative that RCCL has went with.  Definitely a more useful straw.  Carnivals turn to an awful gooey mess almost instantly.  Surely this isn't news to them.  Out of curiosity what is the cost of the metal ones they sell?  I never did ask while onboard.

I guess the next few posters will be barrage of facts and figures on plastic.  😃

Life is tough.  Hang in there.  A new thread about something you approve of will come soon.    

3 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Plastic bags and single-use plastics are now being phased out/banned in many places.  Once you make people aware of an idea and get their buy-in, making further changes is easier.  The trick will be spreading that mindset to the entire world, including some places in east Asia that are huge consumers (and poor recyclers) of such items.

Amusingly, I remember when paper bags were being phased out in favor of plastic "to save the trees".  Nowadays there is a concerted effort to emphasize managed wood pulp production (and maybe even mass-production sourcing from hemp), and paper is the preferred material.  Oh, and reusable grocery bags (often made out of "man-made" materials) are often more intensive for production and then as eventual waste compared to just using the equivalent single-use plastic bags.

Or, if you want to be paranoid: it is all part of the global conspiracy to brainwash you into giving up cheap plastics in favor of bespoke artisanal multi-use items to keep you under "their" thumb.  😉 

I too remember when plastic was pushed in favor of the paper bags.  As far as single use plastics, I'm ready to see them disappear.  

32 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I too remember when plastic was pushed in favor of the paper bags.  As far as single use plastics, I'm ready to see them disappear.  

Love the plastic bags.  Not only do they make it easy to bring my groceries home I use one every day for the kitty litter.  It really helps keep the trash can clean.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

It is absolutely true that many of these greenwashed products take more raw materials and energy to produce than the single-use product did. A resuable plastic bag would be in tatters by the time it becomes a net positive vs. single-use plastic bags. They are profoundly wasteful.

A windmill will never produce as much power as it took to build and install.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

Just now, mz-s said:

It is absolutely true that many of these greenwashed products take more raw materials and energy to produce than the single-use product did.

Plus windmills on land kill birds including eagles.  Windmills along our coasts are killing and stranding marine mammals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

Love the plastic bags.  Not only do they make it easy to bring my groceries home I use one every day for the kitty litter.  It really helps keep the trash can clean.

Lol, those plastic bags have many reuses. I use them for kitty litter scooping, too, along with doggy poop pick up bags. I wrap my shoes in them when packing to keep clothes clean.  I also wrap toiletries in them to handle a leak when traveling.  I guess they aren't "single use" after all. 😉 

• Like 2

Single-Use Plastic Straws

• Like 1

Was onboard 2 weeks and  had forgotten about the candy straws.  They altered the taste of our drinks as we drink slower than some.  Really did not like the flavor so just began to ask for no straw. They also became sticky.  If they forgot, then we wasted them by taking them out and leaving them on the table.  

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 8:18 AM, Keksie said:

I now have a lifetime supply of plastic straws to take with me on trips.  No paper or candy for me.  I don't want to carry a reusable one and have to go wash it out and dry it each time either.  Plastic use once and then throw away.  

I do the same, but we really are defeating the purpose of why they did away with straws in the first place 😄

• Like 2

4 hours ago, simplelife said:

I do the same, but we really are defeating the purpose of why they did away with straws in the first place 😄

Not that many folks bring on disposable plastic straws, so the amount of plastic straws on the ships is still dramatically lower.

The only time I miss the plastic straws is when I'm drinking an old fashioned - I miss the little red coffee stirrer straws. When drinking anything else (I don't do the frozen slushy drinks) I don't miss straws at all when onboard.

23 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Amusingly, I remember when paper bags were being phased out in favor of plastic "to save the trees".  Nowadays there is a concerted effort to emphasize managed wood pulp production (and maybe even mass-production sourcing from hemp), and paper is the preferred material. 

Interesting enough, just the other day I went to the grocery store and without asking the guy bagging my groceries used a paper bag. I was kind of surprised as I hadn't seen one used in quite a while.

I too remember when they first started pushing plastic bags and they used to ask "paper or plastic?"

Anyway, one time around Christmas (about 25 years ago?) I was at the store and the cashier asked if I wanted paper or plastic, to which I replied "paper". She responded by saying how people should really use plastic in order to save the trees etc. Anyway, as she was ringing up my groceries, she started talking with the bagger about decorating her Christmas tree and he asked if she had an artificial one, to which she replied "No I only get real ones, they are so much better" To which I interjected that "People should really only use artificial ones to save the trees." 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 10/13/2023 at 4:49 PM, mz-s said:

It is absolutely true that many of these greenwashed products take more raw materials and energy to produce than the single-use product did. A resuable plastic bag would be in tatters by the time it becomes a net positive vs. single-use plastic bags. They are profoundly wasteful.

Life cycle power for windmills is WAY more than build/install/disposal.

For onshore sub MW turbines - it takes about 1 year to generate the amount of power required to build/install. The next ~20 years are functionally free power.

For a big offshore turbine like a 3MW Vestas - it takes about 3 months to generate the amount of power required to build/install.

On 10/13/2023 at 4:51 PM, Keksie said:

Plus windmills on land kill birds including eagles.  Windmills along our coasts are killing and stranding marine mammals.

Yearly bird deaths USA by cause:

Windows - 976,000,000
Cats - 500,000,000

High Voltage Power Lines - 175,000,000

Pesticides - 76,000,000
Cars - 60,000,000

Communication Towers - 50,000,000

Hunting - 15,000,000

Oil spills/Oil pits - 2,000,000

Wind Turbines - 33,000

Cats kill as many birds every 35 minutes as wind turbines kill in a year.

Cats kill 1,369,000 birds per day.

Cats kill 57,078 birds per hour.

Cats kill 951 birds per minute.

Cats kill 16 birds per second - 24/7/365

19 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Cats kill as many birds every 35 minutes as wind turbines kill in a year.

Cats kill 1,369,000 birds per day.

Cats kill 57,078 birds per hour.

Cats kill 951 birds per minute.

Cats kill 16 birds per second - 24/7/365

It seems like the obvious solution would be to outlaw cats.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

It seems like the obvious solution would be to outlaw cats.

Actually, New Zealand is looking at exactly this issue, and proposed (then canceled after backlash) a feral cat hunting program for kids.  Seriously.

But the problem is real nonetheless in NZ: far too many native birds getting closer and closer to extinction because people let their cats out.

We have a cat - he's an indoor cat, he gets to explore the screened-in pool area and hunt anoles (lizards) there.  Birds are safe.