Live on Equinox - any questions?

a1betpr

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! Upon return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

a1betpr was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

I am on the Equinox now (10/8 - 10/14) and we don’t plan to get off the ship on either of the remaining port days, so I’ve got plenty of time to answer any questions fellow CC’ers might have.  We’re in a Royal Suite so we can address Retreat questions as well.  My initial observations as a first time Celebrity cruiser but many-time NCL and Princess passenger:

- service has been stellar.  Every single staff member we pass by says hello, especially those with bars on their sleeves.  We’ve eaten dinner in Tuscan once and Murano twice and the service has been basically perfect.  We never want for anything.

- food has been great.  We’re eating a ridiculous amount of lobster.  Murano menu specifically states “cold water lobster” and whatever it is it has been good. My filet mignon at Tuscan was terrific, full of flavor and very tender. The lasagna was a miss and the cacio e pepe was a disappointment; a very simple and delicious pasta that’s very hard to get right, and sadly they didn’t get it right here.    

-  they are not charging for cookies anywhere.  The cookie jars at Il Bacio are full and free.  There are no cookies at the Gelato place, which is where I think the sign was that cookies had a cost a few weeks ago.  Can confirm that Royal Suite guests get all the gelato they want for free, and as such I am already half way to trying every flavor.  Our butler also said that laundry was unlimited even though the documents say it’s twice per cruise.

- entertainment is kind of weak.  First night the big show was a stand up comedian, last night was the weird production show Topper, and tonight was a solo woman singer.  We tend to favor big production shows and Broadway musicals so these have been disappointing.  The singers and dancers seem talented but Topper is not a very good showcase.

- internet has been fast and reliable.  We’ve FaceTimed our son a few times without any problems and used WiFi calling without any glitches, and also looked in on our Blink cameras live.  Supposedly we get up to four devices per person being in an RS but DW and I have just used our phones.  Speedtest shows fairly slow connectivity (like 4 - 5 mbps) but it’s working for us. 
- the ship is at capacity but only occasionally feels full.  The pool was a sh@tshow yesterday during the first sea day but the retreat sun deck was pleasantly quiet.

i could go on but will wait for any questions people might have.  Let me know  what you want to know!!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We will be in a Celebrity Suite on the Eclipse in a few weeks. Are the large Evian bottles in room a charge? If you don’t like the Lumina menu are the MDR filet and lobster a charge? Lastly, does Luminae have any Everyday menu items like a filet mignon? Thank you!

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

What made the pool be a sh@tshow?  Crowding?

How is the OVC?

We board Saturday and I'm looking forward to it.

Sorry, yes, the pools were incredibly crowded during the first sea day.  Then they started doing in pool line dancing and frankly it looked a little more Carnival-like than I would have expected.

The OVC has an incredible variety of food but I haven’t eaten anything from there.  It’s very popular but I have been surprised by the limited hours it’s open.  Lunch yesterday didn’t start until noon, and they had the whole place roped off until then. But what I’ve seen looks pretty high quality.  They were carving a whole roasted turkey and a pork tenderloin that looked nice, and there was an extensive selection of Indian food as well.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, katie64 said:

thanks- we go in a few weeks and not cruised since pre Covid so keen  to hear how it is.

Any views on MDR as we tend to eat there for dinner?

Thanks

Sorry, we get all the specialty dining we want for free and so we don’t plan to go to the MDR.  The space is beautiful though and judging from the food we’ve had elsewhere I’m sure it’s good.

7 minutes ago, a1betpr said:

Sorry, yes, the pools were incredibly crowded during the first sea day.  Then they started doing in pool line dancing and frankly it looked a little more Carnival-like than I would have expected

Yeah, I wouldn't care for that at all.  

8 minutes ago, a1betpr said:

The OVC has an incredible variety of food but I haven’t eaten anything from there.  It’s very popular but I have been surprised by the limited hours it’s open.

Yeah, I don't really understand their hours on some things.  The closed gaps between breakfast and lunch, and I also noticed the mast grill closes at 6pm.  What if you decided you wanted a burger for dinner?  Seems they should keep that open till at least 8pm.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bnurick said:

We will be in a Celebrity Suite on the Eclipse in a few weeks. Are the large Evian bottles in room a charge? If you don’t like the Lumina menu are the MDR filet and lobster a charge? Lastly, does Luminae have any Everyday menu items like a filet mignon? Thank you!

I can’t speak for the Celebrity Suites, but in the Royal Suite we are basically getting everything for free (well, “free” in quotes).  We’ve gotten Acqua Panna, San Pelligrino, Evian, and regular plastic bottles of water and it’s all been free.  But we also get free beer and sodas and everything in the fridge so I’m not sure if the water is free in a CS or not. Same with the steak and lobster in Luminae - we can get it and it would be free but that could be a RS thing.

The Luminae menu does not have everyday items on it but you can order anything from the MDR and I’ve heard you can always ask for shrimp cocktail, Caesar salad or filet mignon, but I haven’t tried it.  We don’t plan on having dinner in Luminae at all because the menu never has anything me or my wife are interested in eating.  But lunch and breakfast there have been great.

Just now, a1betpr said:

I can’t speak for the Celebrity Suites, but in the Royal Suite we are basically getting everything for free (well, “free” in quotes).  We’ve gotten Acqua Panna, San Pelligrino, Evian, and regular plastic bottles of water and it’s all been free.  But we also get free beer and sodas and everything in the fridge so I’m not sure if the water is free in a CS or not. Same with the steak and lobster in Luminae - we can get it and it would be free but that could be a RS thing.

The Luminae menu does not have everyday items on it but you can order anything from the MDR and I’ve heard you can always ask for shrimp cocktail, Caesar salad or filet mignon, but I haven’t tried it.  We don’t plan on having dinner in Luminae at all because the menu never has anything me or my wife are interested in eating.  But lunch and breakfast there have been great.

Thank you. We only dine in Luminae on Halibut, Lobster/Rack of Lamb and usually one other night. Murano usually 2-3x and Tuscan 1-2x. I believe the water is complimentary for CS and above. Good to hear the filet is an everyday item. Agree regarding breakfast and lunch. Cheers!

Just now, Arzeena said:

Thank you.

My question was about wifi speed and reliability, but I see it in your post already.

The premium wifi last time was just miserable.

Yeah, 4 mbps seems pretty slow but it’s been reliable and like I mentioned FaceTime has worked fine. I just tested YouTube and that worked fine too.  Streaming services are blocking me because I am outside of the US… just connected to my vpn and reconnected to Prime video and was able to stream a tv show without any problems.  So easily the best on ship WiFi I’ve ever used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, a1betpr said:

Sorry, yes, the pools were incredibly crowded during the first sea day.  Then they started doing in pool line dancing and frankly it looked a little more Carnival-like than I would have expected.

... hcat edited out para re dining...

Sorry to hear that!  Who is the Activity Director for this stuff? Some are really loud and in your face.  Pool band and dj at the pool in the afternoon  are all we need..not a bozo with a mic! I will bring ear plugs  just in case!

On days that we use the outdoor pool, we get out there early, find a nice spot in the shade.  Husb does his puzzles and I take my swim . We leave as soon as the loud music,  and  Royal C / Carnival style fun and games begin    Some folks need constant party time..not interested in chilling out.

Other calm times are port days if we stay on the ship, .and  early afternoon before everyone comes back from the port.

Hope you get some nice  pool time on your cruise!

• Like 1

Just now, hcat said:

Sorry to hear that!  Who is the Activity Director for this stuff? Some are really loud and in your face.  Pool band and dj at the pool in the afternoon  are all we need..not a bozo with a mic! I will bring ear plugs  just in case!

On days that we use the outdoor pool, we get out there early, find a nice spot in the shade.  Husb does his puzzles and I take my swim . We leave as soon as the loud music,  and  Royal C / Carnival style fun and games begin    Some folks need constant party time..not interested in chilling out.

Other calm times are port days if we stay on the ship, .and  early afternoon before everyone comes back from the port.

Hope you get some nice  pool time on your cruise!

We spent some quality time on the Retreat sundeck and in the Solarium pool yesterday during the Grand Cayman stop.  The Solarium is much more tranquil and adults only - all the games and whatnot are in the outdoor pool area.  Our own balcony is a pretty nice spot too. 😀. We are approaching Cozumel right now and we don’t plan to leave the ship so it should be a great day.

Lewis from England is our cruise director and he’s pretty vocal but we spoke to him one-on-one for like 20 minutes in the Retreat lounge yesterday and he’s a really nice guy, about to disembark to have a baby.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, a1betpr said:

We spent some quality time on the Retreat sundeck and in the Solarium pool yesterday during the Grand Cayman stop.  The Solarium is much more tranquil and adults only - all the games and whatnot are in the outdoor pool area.  Our own balcony is a pretty nice spot too. 😀. We are approaching Cozumel right now and we don’t plan to leave the ship so it should be a great day.

Lewis from England is our cruise director and he’s pretty vocal but we spoke to him one-on-one for like 20 minutes in the Retreat lounge yesterday and he’s a really nice guy, about to disembark to have a baby.  

We are getting on as you get off…

so interested to hear your observations…this is our first time not in the Retreat and are a little concerned about the pool situation…we loved the Retreat deck on the Edge and the Apex and even the Summit was ok without a pool because it gave us a quiet place to relax…

Is this Lewis’ last cruise before he leaves for paternity leave…we have had him several times and thought he was a good CD…

2 minutes ago, Susanb10567 said:

We are getting on as you get off…

so interested to hear your observations…this is our first time not in the Retreat and are a little concerned about the pool situation…we loved the Retreat deck on the Edge and the Apex and even the Summit was ok without a pool because it gave us a quiet place to relax…

Is this Lewis’ last cruise before he leaves for paternity leave…we have had him several times and thought he was a good CD…

No, Lewis is on for at least a few more weeks.

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

How does the A/C in cabin areas appear to be working?  I like it cool in my room.

That is a great question. The a/c is ok.  We like our bedroom frigid for sleeping and we can’t get it as cold as we’d like it.  My wife is bothered more than me, but neither of us has lost any sleep due to being too hot.  But we would like it a couple degrees colder.  I just returned from a two week trip through Germany, France, and Belgium and was way more uncomfortable in Europe than I’ve been in our cabin.  

All that said, the ship is going into dry dock in April and according to our butler the repairs will include improving the HVAC.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Thanks for posting this.  We’ll be on the Equinox in January for a 11 day southern Caribbean.  Very excited.

Questions

1) what do you think about the general condition of the ship?

2) how is the martini bar and how crowded does it get pre dinner ?

3) how’s the walking track ?

1) the general condition of the ship is fine.  It’s not perfect, and they could do more to touch up the rust spots that can be found all over the outside areas.  But the interior spaces are immaculate.  Our jetted tub on the balcony has seen better days, and the balcony in general needs a good scrubbing.  But the inside of our cabin is spotless and in very good condition (except for the soap dish in the master bath which keeps falling off the metal arm that holds it up). The shower is terrific and the towels are probably the best I’ve ever had on a ship. The a/c could be stronger but it’s doing its job.  We’ve been told (and you can see in the schedule) that the Equinox will be dry docked for three or four weeks in April 2024 and hopefully they’ll get her back to shiny and sparkly inside and out.  There are people cleaning and painting all the time but the painters can’t keep up with the spots of rust.

2) haven’t made it to the martini bar but I’ll try to give it a look tonight before dinner. We’ve spent most of our pre dinner time in the Retreat lounge or the Ensemble lounge.

3) the walking track is a disappointment.  It wraps around the outdoor pool and is surrounded by deck chairs so you get a lot of interfering traffic if you’re trying to walk during the day. Worse, the track goes right through the Mast Bar where everyone smokes.  So it’s best to go early or late, in which case it’s just fine.  I usually try to walk around a ship’s promenade deck a few times to get my 10k steps (1,237 consecutive days and counting!) but this ship doesn’t have a proper promenade deck.  So it’s been a little bit of a struggle.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, a1betpr said:

I usually try to walk around a ship’s promenade deck a few times to get my 10k steps (1,237 consecutive days and counting!) but this ship doesn’t have a proper promenade deck.  So it’s been a little bit of a struggle.  

1,237 consecutive 10K step days - very impressive!

• Like 1

We will be on this ship in August so are eager to hear how the food in the MDR is and what the entertainment is like.  I know you said the shows are disappointing so far.  What about general music acts around the ship?  Are there bands that play in lounges in the evening? 

Sadly we really can't afford a suite, but have enjoyed the Solarium in the past. However, and this was just pre Covid, they were letting kids in before the stated time and wouldn't do anything to police it. We hate the jangle around the outside pool, I think it's rubbish. So it sounds like it's more Adults only in the Solarium again?