Just returned from a crazy Alaskan cruise on the Sun Oct 2-11!

duck_keeper

I hope it wasn't just us that had the scariest weather event leaving Juneau on the Sun! The seas were so bad that there were a few times during the night I was lifted up out of bed and slammed back down! Glasses were flung everywhere and things that were on the counters ended up on the floor. Anyone else have the same harrowing experience? Should I call Corporate and complain about the non-communication about what happened that night? It was as if no employee wanted to say anything for fear they might get in trouble. Anyone else want to talk about their experience?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

44 minutes ago, duck_keeper said:

Should I call Corporate and complain about the non-communication about what happened that night?

Wasn't it quite obvious what happened? You're on ship and hit big waves. What else did you expect them to tell you?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 9

56 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

Wasn't it quite obvious what happened? You're on ship and hit big waves. What else did you expect them to tell you?

In my experience, if the ship encounters a situation such as rough seas, the captain makes an announcement about what is happening and what is expected from that point. That would be similar to the captain on an airliner informing passengers about turbulence.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

In my experience, if the ship encounters a situation such as rough seas, the captain makes an announcement about what is happening and what is expected from that point. That would be similar to the captain on an airliner informing passengers about turbulence.

And you know for sure that they didn't?  They aren't going to make an in-cabin announcement in the middle of the night unless it's an emergency. Wake you up to tell you what is already obvious.  And unless you are in the hallway or have your TV on the communication channel, with the volume up, it's very easy to miss announcements. If they were expecting rough seas, they also might have mentioned it during the daily captain's update.

And there are such things as rogue waves that nobody sees coming, plus it's not like they can tell you to return to your seats and fasten your seatbelt which is why they warn you, if possible, on a plane.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, julig22 said:

And you know for sure that they didn't?  They aren't going to make an in-cabin announcement in the middle of the night unless it's an emergency. Wake you up to tell you what is already obvious.  And unless you are in the hallway or have your TV on the communication channel, with the volume up, it's very easy to miss announcements. If they were expecting rough seas, they also might have mentioned it during the daily captain's update.

And there are such things as rogue waves that nobody sees coming, plus it's not like they can tell you to return to your seats and fasten your seatbelt which is why they warn you, if possible, on a plane.

Of course I don't know what announcements were made - I WAS NOT THERE.

I'm commenting based on the post bemoaning a lack of communication. 

I agree that an announcement in the middle of the night would be avoid, if possible. The OP did say it happened at night.

As for your mention of a rogue wave, sure, a warning may not have been possible.

That would not preclude a post event communication. In fact, there should have been one. Twisting my airplane analogy does not hold water (no pun intended).

The captain's speech should include an explanation of what happened (e.g. rogue wave) and a sorry for the inconvenience, blah, blah...

And, on a plane, the do do a post event recap, not simply a reminder to fasten belts. I've been through it - on the sea and in the air.

• Like 1

This was not normal bad weather. I've been on other ships with bad weather. This was a bad decision to leave Juneau. They announced that we were not going to Icy Straight because of weather and decided to just punch through the bad weather to Victoria.

I heard other passengers talking at the airport saying that the Ship took damage and was taking on water. We also arrived in Victoria early at 8:30am instead of 2pm. That usually never happens.

I heard more but won't repeat because I can't verify. I am just trying to ask/verify what others on the ship experienced - not to get lectured that ships hit rough patches.

• Like 3

😳 I’ve been on ships in really rough seas and I actually love to be rocked to sleep,  but I’ve never been slammed out of my bed! Yikes! That would have shaken me up also!

Leaving on the Encore to Alaska this weekend. Now I’m nervous. 😬 

• Like 1

The announcement was made that a port was being skipped because of bad weather and that the ship was heading straight to the safe harbor of another port. Rough seas were encountered as can happen on any cruise itinerary in bad weather.

What else did you expect to be told?   By the way, when told that there is rough weather ahead, it is a good idea to secure your cabin by clearing counter tops.

Note: There have been a few cruises where the motion of the ship made maintaining a sleeping position difficult.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 3

I assure you, any weather events are reported to NCL HQ.  You were informed of impending foul weather, even that it was severe enough to miss a port.

So, the obvious question, what compensation would make you feel better about it?

• Like 3

Why is any compensation needed?

There was rough water that the OP has never experienced before. He /she has learned that a ship will move in rough water and that certain precautions can be taken in the future such as cabin location and securing a cabin for the "motion of the ocean."

• Like 4

1 hour ago, duck_keeper said:

heard other passengers talking at the airport saying that the Ship took damage and was taking on water

Sorry for your scary experience.  But that is a risk one takes when cruising….especially on smaller ships.  Be thankful you didn’t get an announcement or blasts/long blast in the middle of the night.  

re: damage and taking on water.  The Sun is back out to sea, so the damage, if any, must not have impacted the safe sailing of the ship.

IMO, chalk this up as a story worth repeating when sharing cruise stories with others.  Glad you made it back safely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, duck_keeper said:

I hope it wasn't just us that had the scariest weather event leaving Juneau on the Sun! The seas were so bad that there were a few times during the night I was lifted up out of bed and slammed back down! Glasses were flung everywhere and things that were on the counters ended up on the floor. Anyone else have the same harrowing experience? Should I call Corporate and complain about the non-communication about what happened that night? It was as if no employee wanted to say anything for fear they might get in trouble. Anyone else want to talk about their experience?

Hope you had your bed seatbelt on

Stuff happens, on our first cruise on the Gem to Bermuda we had very large seas for 24 hours on the way back to NYC. I'll never forget having to pin myself against the shower wall to take a shower. Everything on the ship was closed for that period and people were told to stay in their cabins

• Like 1

When you sail this late in the Season (and this Season is going a month longer than in the past), rough weather somewhere is to be expected.

Look at the Seattle Space Needle webcam.  The weather in Seattle is more like like November and early December already.

Look at the bow webcam on The Jewel.  She is trying to thread Her way through two weather systems (one to Her North and one to Her South).  At last check, She is doing well.

• Like 2

I guess I am just whining according to y'all.

I feel bad for the people who are first time cruisers that was on the ship because they will never cruise again I'm sure.

When we tried to go into Ketchikan the day before the wind was so bad that the boat was listing to one side and we had to go out and come back. So instead of getting in at 7am we weren't in until 1:30pm.

During the really bad weather I checked the scrolling details on the navigation channel as we were leaving Juneau and it said wind at 35kph and 18m swells for a bit and then it just stopped reporting anything...as if we were not moving.

As a visual think of sitting in the main dining area on the back of the ship and seeing all sky and then all ocean within a minute. That is what I saw.

I've been on the Bliss before in Sept and only had one rough sea day so I'm not a newbie to what it's like up there late in the season.

At this point it feels like a pile on to bring up anything negative about NCL since I'm being told what did I expect?

I thought maybe a little more communication? An apology for the rough weather and asking passengers if they are OK? I can't imagine there wasn't someone injured because I had to hold on to the bed/couch just to walk without falling down or slung into something.

I hope others will chime in, but doubt it now that I've be chastised about having a bad experience.

• Like 3

Sorry you feel that way.

What we are trying to tell you that rough seas can be experienced on any cruise at any time.

The rough weather is not within the control of NCL and is not anything that NCL needs to apologize about.

If someone was injured, then appropriate medical aid was rendered.

If you keep cruising, you will have this experience again. It happens when tides, currents, and wind have the right combination.  It can happen under fair skies because of a far off weather system.

A good indication that the captain expects the worse conditions is when ropes are strung in the middle of stair wells for extra security and barf bags are left in different locations in the halls and public spaces.

Welcome to the world of ships on the water and know that your experience is not a rare occurrence.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Sorry you feel that way.

What we are trying to tell you that rough seas can be experienced on any cruise at any time.

The rough weather is not within the control of NCL and is not anything that NCL needs to apologize about.

If someone was injured, then appropriate medical aid was rendered.

If you keep cruising, you will have this experience again. It happens when tides, currents, and wind have the right combination.  It can happen under fair skies because of a far off weather system.

A good indication that the captain expects the worse conditions is when ropes are strung in the middle of stair wells for extra security and barf bags are left in different locations in the halls and public spaces.

Welcome to the world of ships on the water and know that your experience is not a rare occurrence.

True..every single word.

If this stops anyone from cruising again, cruising probably isn’t “your thing”!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

Be thankful you didn’t get an announcement or blasts/long blast in the middle of the night.  

LOL - Zuiderdam, 2009 Panama Canal Cruise - woken up by the Captain at 3 AM telling us there was a fire,  to wake up, get dress, grab any medications, and wait in our cabins for more instructions. Ship's crew were at their emergency stations.

We were told twenty minutes later the emergency was over and we could return to sleep.

• Like 2

4+ years ago on the Escape had a sudden gust caused our ship to list which tossed me out of bed.  No warning.

Water pitcher and glasses hit the floor.  

I think there’s YT vids of the event. 

Everybody has a weather story when you cruise!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry OP. I also would have expected at least an announcement saying we were past it, or an announcement that barf bags would be available, or when it's necessary or not to go to medical. But there's not much you will achieve from complaining to corporate about the communication or lack there or while onboard. 

• Like 1

Commonsense, people, commonsense, but here are some hints:

If the ship is no longing pitching, rolling or experiencing  yaw, the ship is passed the rough water.

If one can not decide if an injury or other condition is severe enough for a doctor's attention, then find a responsible adult that can decide.

If barf bags are available, they will obviously be present. They can also be requested at Guest Services. Guest Services will also have OTC sea sickness medications and maybe sliced green apples.

Please keep in mind that depending on one's location in the ship, the motion may have been the gentle rocking that many of us enjoy.

Also, the greater majority of the passengers on the ship will not be  fazed by the rough water and will act appropriately.

• Like 2

Homosassa sounds like they work for NCL and are running defense for them. You can stop giving me the run down of all the things. I've heard it all before.

I bought future cruise credits and am going to decide in the next few days if I want to change my mind. I want to continue cruising and have thought of doing a Europe trip, but if it is going to be more of the same there then I won't spend 3K to fly there and then another 3K to cruise. I'll just stick with state side travel.

I would like actual passengers from this sailing to comment please (Oct 2-11).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, duck_keeper said:

I heard other passengers talking at the airport saying that the Ship took damage and was taking on water.

🤣🤣

I'm guessing somebody stepped out of bed into the water from their spilled water glass and, well, you know how some people just lose their minds!

It all sounds like a fun E ticket ride to me.  I love some rough seas and being able to pretend that I'm a real drunk pirate.  Argggh.😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, duck_keeper said:

Homosassa sounds like they work for NCL and are running defense for them. You can stop giving me the run down of all the things. I've heard it all before.

I bought future cruise credits and am going to decide in the next few days if I want to change my mind. I want to continue cruising and have thought of doing a Europe trip, but if it is going to be more of the same there then I won't spend 3K to fly there and then another 3K to cruise. I'll just stick with state side travel.

If you want to hear from those on your cruise, I suggest you look to your rollcall

NCL SUN Roll Call October 2 - October 11 - Norwegian Sun Roll Calls - Cruise Critic Community

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, duck_keeper said:

I think this is probably the root of the comments posted here.  You should have posted in your Roll Call, that way you’d have a lot of company sharing similar experiences.  Because you posted in the general NCL area, non of us responders experienced your situation.

I don’t think anyone is trying to minimize your experience or the rough weather.  It was your comment about contacting corporate.  One thought to ponder.  Everyone knew rough weather was in store.  You saw it and felt it way before dark.  Consider the Captain’s silence as a sign that he/she was focused on steadily navigating in extreme conditions in the dark.  

again, sorry for your experience. Happy your home safe and able to share the events.

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 3