Passport requirement for upcoming cruise

parachutes63

1 hour ago, hallux said:

I have, and I don't even need my passport to do so if I wanted to!!

Why am I thinking you need a passport (or passport card) to drive to Canada? Has something changed or have I always had it wrong?

9 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

Why am I thinking you need a passport (or passport card) to drive to Canada? Has something changed or have I always had it wrong?

You can cross the land border with a passport or passport card, a NEXUS card or an EDL.

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

You can cross the land border with a passport or passport card, a NEXUS card or an EDL.

Ah! Completely forgot about the EDL. For some reason, I was thinking that was only necessary for domestic airline flights in 2025. Which is actually quite important, since I don't have one yet.

29 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

Ah! Completely forgot about the EDL. For some reason, I was thinking that was only necessary for domestic airline flights in 2025. Which is actually quite important, since I don't have one yet.

Good luck with that, only 5 states have EDL, not the same as Real ID - which is what you will eventually need for domestic flights. Don't think you would qualify, based on the location given in your profile.

• Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • New York
  • Vermont
  • Washington

28 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Where did you come up with this myth?

US population is about 333,000,000. There are about 260,000,000 who are 18 or over. US Department of State says there are 160,000,000 valid passports. Those statistics would indicate a majority of US adults have passports. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/about-us/reports-and-statistics.html

Edited by Charles4515

6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Most Americans don’t have on driving to Canada on bucket list. I just drove from Fort Worth,Texas to Santa Fe, New Mexico, about a 10 hours drive. Didn’t need a passport even entering the Navajo nation. So I didn’t take my passport. Never going to drive to Canada. 

When did the Navaho reservation become an independent country?

Guess they have liberal rules - didn't check my passport either.

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

US population is about 333,000,000. There are about 260,000,000 who are 18 or over. US Department of State says there are 160,000,000 valid passports. Those statistics would indicate a majority of US adults have passports. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/about-us/reports-and-statistics.html

Gee, kids are people too.

They even travel.

I don't agree with your calculation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, julig22 said:

Good luck with that, only 5 states have EDL, not the same as Real ID - which is what you will eventually need for domestic flights. Don't think you would qualify, based on the location given in your profile.

• Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • New York
  • Vermont
  • Washington

The NYS EDL is Real ID compliant.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, julig22 said:

• Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • New York
  • Vermont
  • Washington

Also, I think South Dakota has EDL…based on information I saw from a Canadian law firm.

5 hours ago, LouChamp said:

The NYS EDL is Real ID compliant.

Yes, EDL is Real ID compliant.  But not the issue.  Real ID gets you on an airplane in the US.  EDL gets you across the Canadian border. Which is why it's available in states bordering Canada.

10 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

Also, I think South Dakota has EDL…based on information I saw from a Canadian law firm.

Not according to the US customs.  And last I looked, SD wasn't a border state. EDL was created to provide a convenient, yet secure way for travelers from certain border states to enter and exit the country.

16 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

I'd say the information you saw from that law firm is incorrect.  Probably best to check with state authority on that.

19 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I'd say the information you saw from that law firm is incorrect.  Probably best to check with state authority on that.

Definitely incorrect. South Dakota is not on the border and does not issue EDL licenses. That law firm is probably part of the Real ID confusion. If Real ID ever comes into effect, it keeps getting postponed, I expect the confusion to be magnified 10 times. And since Real ID licenses are optional in some states and require an extra fee probably people are going to be crying about not being informed that they need ReaL ID licenses for domestic US flights. 

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

people are going to be crying about not being informed that they need ReaL ID licenses for domestic US flights.

Despite numerous news stories each time the deadline nears, warning that the travel requirements will be changing, then they push it back because people haven't had enough chance to get the right documentation.  It's time they just let it happen and let the chips fall where they may, people have had PLENTY of time to get their affairs in order regarding this.  Shoot - I'm on my SECOND EDL from New York (8 year renewal) and that one expires in 18 months!!

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

Definitely incorrect. South Dakota is not on the border and does not issue EDL licenses. That law firm is probably part of the Real ID confusion. If Real ID ever comes into effect, it keeps getting postponed, I expect the confusion to be magnified 10 times. And since Real ID licenses are optional in some states and require an extra fee probably people are going to be crying about not being informed that they need ReaL ID licenses for domestic US flights. 

I went to renew my license and asked for Real ID - the guy tried to talk me out of it because there were extra fees and I was using my passport for ID so didn't need it.  I paid the fees for Real ID.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, hallux said:

Despite numerous news stories each time the deadline nears, warning that the travel requirements will be changing, then they push it back because people haven't had enough chance to get the right documentation.  It's time they just let it happen and let the chips fall where they may, people have had PLENTY of time to get their affairs in order regarding this.  Shoot - I'm on my SECOND EDL from New York (8 year renewal) and that one expires in 18 months!!

Yea, even Oregon, one of the holdout states, finally got their act together and finally started issuing Real ID (not EDL). I've had mine for over 2 years now.

31 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I went to renew my license and asked for Real ID - the guy tried to talk me out of it because there were extra fees and I was using my passport for ID so didn't need it.  I paid the fees for Real ID.

I did the opposite. When I renewed my license, I was asked if I wanted it (extra cost). I asked if I needed it as my passport had just been renewed the year before. I was told no I would not need it, and then just did the regular renewal.

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I did the opposite. When I renewed my license, I was asked if I wanted it (extra cost). I asked if I needed it as my passport had just been renewed the year before. I was told no I would not need it, and then just did the regular renewal.

So what are you going to do the next time your passport is sent in for renewal and you need to fly somewhere? Seems shortsighted not to get a Real ID license….

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I wouldn't need Real ID either, since I always carry my passport card with me. However, I will choose to get one. I don't want some newbie TSA agent in Des Moines telling me he needs to see my Real ID or I can't go through. Not worth the hassle for a few extra bucks.

• Like 3