Celebrity is Listening

bnurick

I may just be a cynic, but my guess is the people who respond are part of a customer care organization - which may even be outsourced and are not closely attached to the executive offices.  Their job it to make unhappy customers happy by telling them they appreciate their comments and will pass them on for further consideration.  I suspect the most that executives ever actually hear is something like a monthly summary of the nature of the calls/emails from customers. That's something, and it probably makes it worthwhile to continue to call & email Celebrity, but I think anyone who thinks they are getting personal attention from the executive offices is kidding themselves.  Again, I'm a cynic so I may be totally off base. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Let us know when they're ready to stop listening/discussing and start taking action.  A good start would be to increase their food budget by reducing the marketing budget that sends out four emails a day

I did find a possible result of Celebrity "Listening" on Eclipse a few weeks ago.

When LPC eliminated Filet and Lobster about 6 months ago from it's menu and substituted Ribs!

I informed the crew and management I would Never dine in LPC again (after 12 times) and found out it was Back again (well now Filet OR Lobster) on the LPC menu on Eclipse .

When I pointed out to my waiter that I was glad to see both Items Back but pointed out it used to include Both she made sure I Did get both on the same plate!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

Also the compolsary AI now removed from all cabins except suites.

Too bad they coupled it with removal of gratuities and elimination of suite OBC. Maybe they got 1 out of 3 right.

Host Andy's post is encouraging. Just give me some French Onion Soup and cheescake .........

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, D. B. said:

I did find a possible result of Celebrity "Listening" on Eclipse a few weeks ago.

When LPC eliminated Filet and Lobster about 6 months ago from it's menu and substituted Ribs!

I informed the crew and management I would Never dine in LPC again (after 12 times) and found out it was Back again (well now Filet OR Lobster) on the LPC menu on Eclipse .

When I pointed out to my waiter that I was glad to see both Items Back but pointed out it used to include Both she made sure I Did get both on the same plate!

Just another example of X correcting a 2023 policy change.  Off the top of my head so far they have brought back more dinner buffet options, brought back the ribeye and prime rib, brought back the complimentary cookies at Cafe Al Bacio while removing the cookie for a fee, reversed their vaping policy, seemingly bringing back every day classics and lobster and filet at LPC

The only new and innovative thing was the premium cookie but they blew that by removing the free cookies at cafe Al bacio; they were still available at the buffet but if cookiegate never happened, for how long?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mnocket said:

I may just be a cynic, but my guess is the people who respond are part of a customer care organization - which may even be outsourced and are not closely attached to the executive offices.  Their job it to make unhappy customers happy by telling them they appreciate their comments and will pass them on for further consideration.  I suspect the most that executives ever actually hear is something like a monthly summary of the nature of the calls/emails from customers. That's something, and it probably makes it worthwhile to continue to call & email Celebrity, but I think anyone who thinks they are getting personal attention from the executive offices is kidding themselves.  Again, I'm a cynic so I may be totally off base. 

I received a follow-up email this morning regarding questions I had. It was their Executive and The Retreat teams.

Edited by bnurick

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Just another example of X correcting a 2023 policy change.  Off the top of my head so far they have brought back more dinner buffet options, brought back the ribeye and prime rib, brought back the complimentary cookies at Cafe Al Bacio while removing the cookie for a fee, reversed their vaping policy, seemingly bringing back every day classics and lobster and filet at LPC

The only new and innovative thing was the premium cookie but they blew that by removing the free cookies at cafe Al bacio; they were still available at the buffet but if cookiegate never happened, for how long?

I specifically told them a trial of a large out of the oven cookie is fine, but removing the cookie jars from Cafe Al Bacio was the error. My read is they are walking on eggshells to make the upcoming changes positive and successful. Time will tell, but they didn’t have to call me twice if they completely didn't care.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, bnurick said:

I specifically told them a trial of a large out of the oven cookie is fine, but removing the cookie jars from Cafe Al Bacio was the error. My read is they are walking on eggshells to make the upcoming changes positive and successful. Time will tell, but they didn’t have to call me twice if they completely didn't care.

VLoggers TheTravelingGambler stated they spoke to the F&B manager of the Equinox where the cookie was being piloted.  The manager said the reason for the removal was to keep Cafe Al Bacio's congestion down and that doing so at the same time as piloting the premium cookies was "bad timing" so they reverted back to how things were.

I've cruised on X 134 nights since the pandemic, at Cafe Al Bacio I have coffee twice a day, once first thing in the morning and one late in the afternoon assuming the port schedule doesn't interfere so am very familiar with Cafe Al Bacio, and waiting in line.  Head to Cafe Al Bacio at around 830-9am on a sea day, you'll see 10-20 people in line, possibly a crew member or even an Officer taking drink orders from those in the line.  I haven't noticed anyone anyone ordering cookies in the morning.  In the afternoon, there are usually under 10 people in line, and in my experience, I again cannot recall anyone waiting in line exclusively for cookies, usually, it's a COFFEE and a treat which could be a cookie or a slice of cake.  The overall point is the COFFEE is causing the congestion, not the cookies so if I could take a Vegas bet, I bet they were trying to eliminate complimentary cookies fleetwide other than in the MDR.  Too intentional to be a coincidence/bad-timing

I suggested to social media that if the complimentary cookies causing so much congestion at Cafe Al Bacio, why not again offer the premium cookie and put the free cookies next to them?  It reportedly took 2mins to back each cookie so that crew member is most likely twiddling their thumbs why did they wait.  The reply I received started with "Thank you for your feedback, we've forwarded it (blah blah blah)" and they could have left it at that, yet they ended with they have no plans to bring back the premium cookie at this time 😅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, bnurick said:

I received a follow-up email this morning regarding questions I had. It was their Executive and The Retreat teams.

My point is, I doubt "The "Executive and The Retreat teams" actually have any close ties to the actual executives.  I suspect they are a branch of the customer service organization and, in truth, sit rather far down the organization chart.  I could be wrong.  I'm simply basing this on my experience with a large multinational corporation and how customer correspondence to the executives (CEO, etc.) were handled there. I suppose cruise lines could be different in this regard, but I doubt it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

Too bad they coupled it with removal of gratuities and elimination of suite OBC. Maybe they got 1 out of 3 right.

Host Andy's post is encouraging. Just give me some French Onion Soup and cheescake .........

mac_tlc

I specifically referred to everything up to suites.

Moving the tips from  AI to being a separate item makes no practical difference assuming of course that the AI cost is reduced which is what X said it would do. For some passengers it will actually be beneficial as the tips can now be paid from OBC which wasn't the case when it was part of AI.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, the penguins said:

I specifically referred to everything up to suites.

Moving the tips from  AI to being a separate item makes no practical difference assuming of course that the AI cost is reduced which is what X said it would do. For some passengers it will actually be beneficial as the tips can now be paid from OBC which wasn't the case when it was part of AI.

Maybe my phrasing was confusing. They removed gratuities from all AI and removed the OBC from suites. I get it. Still made only 1 out of 3. And from the price checking I was doing for a number of cruises, the price did not go down by the amount of the removed gratuities. 

We have been successful cashing out the OBC a number of times, so that cash could pay for anything. Thats probably another reason they got rid of it for suites.

Bottom line is they changed a bunch of stuff on 10/4 and in many cases the total price went up.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, hcat said:

thanks for this  ANDY is the best!

This is Good News!  👏  We're on the Reflection Nov 2nd and sure hope Andy is right!  The ship is sold out and I can only imagine the complaints they'll get if the menu is as poor as it's been lately.

May have to cancel our Princess cruise early next year if the MDR menus have truly improved! 

I'm glad to hear some of the big shots are cruising now on the Equinox and if they get around and talk to passengers they'll learn a lot.  

6 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Maybe my phrasing was confusing. They removed gratuities from all AI and removed the OBC from suites. I get it. Still made only 1 out of 3. And from the price checking I was doing for a number of cruises, the price did not go down by the amount of the removed gratuities. 

We have been successful cashing out the OBC a number of times, so that cash could pay for anything. Thats probably another reason they got rid of it for suites.

Bottom line is they changed a bunch of stuff on 10/4 and in many cases the total price went up.

mac_tlc

If you have a specific example I would submit your figures to the Chief Execs Office and ask for an explanation.

I did this when compolsary AI was introduced quoting figures comparing 2019 with 2021 where the increase in price without AI was 15% whereas with AI it was 83%. I got 2 calls from X - the first questioning my figures and saying they were being checked, the second agreeing I was correct.

I know other passengers submitted similar examples - not ranting and raving just submitting cold hard facts.

By the December Corporate said " we appreciate that not everyone wants a drinks package nor unlimited WiFi and are working to address this issue". It took them some months to actually "address the issue" but change it they did.

If everyone who had actual figures again followed this course X would be "forced' to ensure that the the new system was indeed not more expensive than the previous one.

Personally we would prefer a base price that included: the cruise, port fees, taxes and tips (with no option to remove the latter) with drinks, WiFi as optional extras.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, zitsky said:

Is Laura herself working on a ship?

I am trying to remain caustically optimistic.

Infinite verandas are the biggest scam I mean greatest marketing coup in cruising history.

From what I have heard is that She met with Zeniths and they unloaded on her as well as thanked her for bring back access to Retreat.   She and others were also dining in the MDR and many of her senior staff were shadowing staff in all areas of the ship and actually working along side staff in places like Al Bacio.  Whether she was shadowing I don't know but I'm sure she has collected some data points.

That's a H3LL of a lot more the Lisa ever did.    Will it make a difference? Only time will tell and I think it is a step in the right direction to understand the complaints they have been getting.

Problem is that once the cat is out of the bag it is hard to get them back.   They lost me as a dedicated Celebrity cruiser after 23 years and I know we will never restrict our cursing to Celebrity or any other line.   

• Like 13
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, the penguins said:

If you have a specific example I would submit your figures to the Chief Execs Office and ask for an explanation.

I did this when compolsary AI was introduced quoting figures comparing 2019 with 2021 where the increase in price without AI was 15% whereas with AI it was 83%. I got 2 calls from X - the first questioning my figures and saying they were being checked, the second agreeing I was correct.

I know other passengers submitted similar examples - not ranting and raving just submitting cold hard facts.

By the December Corporate said " we appreciate that not everyone wants a drinks package nor unlimited WiFi and are working to address this issue". It took them some months to actually "address the issue" but change it they did.

If everyone who had actual figures again followed this course X would be "forced' to ensure that the the new system was indeed not more expensive than the previous one.

Personally we would prefer a base price that included: the cruise, port fees, taxes and tips (with no option to remove the latter) with drinks, WiFi as optional extras.

See the thread linked below. Posts #60, #63 and #65 show the random cruises I was price-checking through September and through the 10/4 changes. Rarely did the price change as much as the cost of the removed items. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ckck said:

Nickle and diming, devaluation of product, quality of entertainment - we have 4 cruises booked in the next 18 months and none are on Celebrity

ckck - there most definitely has been a devaluation of the product on Celebrity.  Have recently also cruised on HAL and Princess and found the same thing.

An glad NM Traveler found that menus are returning the classics that were cut.  I just hope that the steaks in the future change from the thin sirloins we were served on all three cruiselines.

FWIW, on our last two cruises over 50% were first time cruisers.  They never experienced cruising as it was before Covid.  Yes, 100s of posts complaining about the food.  Let us hope the steps announced in the last pod cast get things headed in the right direction.

We also have decided until things settle down we will not be cruising until fall 2024.

45 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

From what I have heard is that She met with Zeniths and they unloaded on her as well as thanked her for bring back access to Retreat.   She and others were also dining in the MDR and many of her senior staff were shadowing staff in all areas of the ship and actually working along side staff in places like Al Bacio.  Whether she was shadowing I don't know but I'm sure she has collected some data points.

That's a H3LL of a lot more the Lisa ever did.    Will it make a difference? Only time will tell and I think it is a step in the right direction to understand the complaints they have been getting.

Problem is that once the cat is out of the bag it is hard to get them back.   They lost me as a dedicated Celebrity cruiser after 23 years and I know we will never restrict our cursing to Celebrity or any other line.   

Great post.  Our last three cruises had come definite "cursing" at times.

Thanks for a bit of humor.  No difference in the number of disappointments between X and the other lines.  Just different.   Like you we will cruise the itinerary,  not the line.

• Haha 2

After quite a few years sailing in a Sky Suite, X has devalued their product to the point that we are walking away from $$$ of FCC’s and our deposit.  I am over X changing menus, suite amenities, etc at the drop of a hat.

We booked 2 Oceania cruises.  I cannot see us returning to X any time in the future.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, bnurick said:

Good to hear, but I'm not holding my breath.  I'd like them to give me the amenities I paid for when I booked an Aqua Sky Suite for next summer.  If I don't cancel it will be our first ever Celebrity cruise, and perhaps our last.  Cutting things is one thing, but not giving me the things I have paid for (and the things that made the difference for us to give X a chance) is a dealbreaker.

• Like 7

I do hope X is listening and backpedalling.  I still have one cruise on X remaining this year and four in 2024.  Two are set in stone (Feb/Mar, Luminae), one is a distinct maybe (Spring TA, specialties & OVC), and one is now officially a no-go (Fall TA).  The last one has a sizeable deposit that I'm reluctant to lose but equally reluctant to move to something in 2025.  To move it to 2025, things need to radically improve with the MDR food quality/choices.  I've already booked a Fall 2024 TA on Oceania Vista (new in 2023) to try new and different (to me) dining options.  BTW, a PH w/butler on the Vista is ~$1K cheaper and three nights longer than a SS on Apex TA.  The best suite upgrades over SS on X for me are the true dining table and chairs in the suite and also on the balcony, plus the large bathroom, great shower, and NO bathtub!  I've also booked Regent for Fall 2025; pretty good earlybird discount.  If I really love next year's Vista experience, I can cancel Regent.  Both Regent & Oceania have refundable deposits (less $100/$150 admin fee). X's deposit penalty really irks me; I don't want a FCC.  

If I had one wish for X, other than improving their food, it would be to design sky suites on future builds 50-50 showers/bathtubs so I'd have no need for an accessible cabin and could choose a location.  As it stands now, I don't care for the locations of X's accessible sky suites on any class ship.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Great post.  Our last three cruises had come definite "cursing" at times.

Thanks for a bit of humor.  No difference in the number of disappointments between X and the other lines.  Just different.   Like you we will cruise the itinerary,  not the line.

I thought I was being sly in slipping that one in.    OK>>>OK    I don't always proof redd but it did work.  LOL

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Absolutely great news.  Laura and her team surely had an accurate representation of the food quality and taste.  I do hope her team grabbed food items from the kitchen at random as it's not uncommon nowadays to receive food that is both overcooked and served lukewarm.  Otherwise, I'm sure she was served perfectly cooked food served piping hot food items.  I also doubt she experienced a long wait for her dishes which is the least of MDRs concerns as most are willing to wait for good food

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MMMCruiser said:

Good to hear, but I'm not holding my breath.  I'd like them to give me the amenities I paid for when I booked an Aqua Sky Suite for next summer.  If I don't cancel it will be our first ever Celebrity cruise, and perhaps our last.  Cutting things is one thing, but not giving me the things I have paid for (and the things that made the difference for us to give X a chance) is a dealbreaker.

I hear you. I am just passing along information. Some I just can’t reply to anymore, too aggressive. I have given feedback and it will be what it will be. Happy to sail DCL if X flounders. Cheers!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bnurick said:

I hear you. I am just passing along information. Some I just can’t reply to anymore, too aggressive. I have given feedback and it will be what it will be. Happy to sail DCL if X flounders. Cheers!

When Carnival bought a newer Costa ship they called it "Costa by Carnival" so with X, will probably just be called "Celebrity by Royal Caribbean" well before it flounders

• Like 1