Back To Back Procedure

ohcsim123

Hi All,

We're booked back to back on two Azamara cruises next Spring with the same cabin on each. The central ("turnaround") port is Barcelona and Azamara has told me via telcom that we must disembark there with everyone else (but leaving our possessions in the cabin) and later re-embarking, although via a "separate" line.

It has been suggested by others that, because of the "turnaround", we may not be able to be on time for a private shore excursion that would meet the ship at 8:30am.

The ship is scheduled to arrive at 6:00am and we think that we should have no problem meeting an 8:30am tour unless Azamara has some additional ways of treating (and delaying) passengers such as us.

Can anyone comment on this?

John 

the times I have done B2B there is a meeting held prior to changeover day and they advise what time you will be checked out and checked back in/receive new keycard. It has been 09:00 or 09:15. (process all the B2B passengers together) I have never requested it earlier.

• Like 1

Don’t know why you were told you have to disembark as in our result BTB, staying in the same cabin, we were able to leave the ship when we wanted.  We were given cards that said we were in transit so that we could board again at any time.  Call Azamara, but don’t be surprised that with each phone call you could get a different answer.  Not impressed with the poorly trained people in customer service.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ohcsim123 said:

It has been suggested by others that, because of the "turnaround", we may not be able to be on time for a private shore excursion that would meet the ship at 8:30am.

The ship is scheduled to arrive at 6:00am and we think that we should have no problem meeting an 8:30am tour unless Azamara has some additional ways of treating (and delaying) passengers such as us.

Can anyone comment on this?

John 

Although the ship is scheduled to arrive at 6:00, things don't always go to plan.  You never know when a port authority clears a ship.  Why not schedule your private shore excursion later and give yourself more time?

And why would Azamara want to delay passengers such as you?

I did the back to back with Barcelona the changeover earlier this year. Received the keycard the day before and was allowed to make dinner reservations at that meeting which which they proceeded to lose. Figured it out when I didn't get the reminder cards left outside our cabin.  Suggest at sail-a-way on the second cruise confirming the reservations made it into their computer. We left early morning as we arranged a tour on our own. It was a very short day in Barcelona and we wanted to view as much as possible to be back by 4PM for a 5PM sail-a-way. 

Edited by luv2travel90266
typo

Now it’s a two tier system depending on whether the bookings have been combined under one booking number or not. At the b2b meeting all instructions were given and there was a table set up for restaurant reservations.

If you had multiple booking numbers then you had to check in for the second voyage in the Cabaret  Lounge, we were under one booking number but changing rooms and just has to swap key card at the customer service desk.

We've done multiple B2Bs in the past, we have one coming up momentarily under the "new (?)" system. As mentioned, new keys, credit card swipes, can be done the day before following the routine B2B meeting in the Theater. We've stayed aboard on some occasions, had a full day in port on others. Bottom line, make plans, don't worry, enjoy the day. Whether or not you go through the muster drill again will depend on the phase of the moon, combined with which way the wind is blowing, north or south of the equator. Enjoy yourselves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Has anyone had experience with this situation? I am on2  b2b cruises in April, same cabin, two bookings. I have a friend joining me in my cabin on the first cruise. She is not continuing with me on the second cruise. Will I get b2b OBC benefits, since I am staying onboard for both cruises? 

15 hours ago, Riocca said:

Now it’s a two tier system depending on whether the bookings have been combined under one booking number or not. At the b2b meeting all instructions were given and there was a table set up for restaurant reservations.

If you had multiple booking numbers then you had to check in for the second voyage in the Cabaret  Lounge, we were under one booking number but changing rooms and just has to swap key card at the customer service desk.

I don't understand "combined under one booking number"   We've done b2b multiple times--- some times as many as 4 in a row, and every cruise had its own booking number, even if we booked then at exactly the same time.   Admittedly, all these occurred under the "old" system.   Do B2B cruises now get the same booking number?

We have 3 B2B booked for next year. The new system does have them all registered under the one booking number and when you log on the three cruises are listed separately but with the one reservation number. We still get the B2B OBC for each cruise and as far as I can see nothing else has changed.

1 hour ago, DS said:

I don't understand "combined under one booking number"   We've done b2b multiple times--- some times as many as 4 in a row, and every cruise had its own booking number, even if we booked then at exactly the same time.   Admittedly, all these occurred under the "old" system.   Do B2B cruises now get the same booking number?

It’s a feature of the new software which allows them to combine b2b under a single booking number. There have been a few issues with this but they are learning and everything was resolved quickly.

Made a new b2b booking onboard and was offered the option of single or multiple booking numbers, we opted for single as I think this is going to be the way it works in the future.

32 minutes ago, Riocca said:

It’s a feature of the new software which allows them to combine b2b under a single booking number. There have been a few issues with this but they are learning and everything was resolved quickly.

Made a new b2b booking onboard and was offered the option of single or multiple booking numbers, we opted for single as I think this is going to be the way it works in the future.

If I have one booking number for two cruises and it is sold as a 20 day voyage why can't the the O.B.C be for the whole cruise and not splite in two?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roger b said:

If I have one booking number for two cruises and it is sold as a 20 day voyage why can't the the O.B.C be for the whole cruise and not splite in two?

Think it’s still work in progress, it’s showing that way on our new booking but in practice on the current cruise it was applied for the whole cruise.

I had tours booked and left before the 9 am meet as a group And just check out..swipe new key and got picture taken  and left.I always ask st gangway when I need to be back on ..that way if anything printed is wrong I know they have correct time And where I am.

also if we have to leave ship like Miami or Sydney I have a plan.

What you’ve done in the past currently is no guarantee of the future as the new software is handling back to backs differently and also port authorities are not handling “transit guests” as they did in the past.  Barcelona is an example. 
It would be good if the OP could make a cancellable up to 24 hours before booking as they could then have a conversation with the Documentation Officer once onboard. They are the person who liaises with the authorities. If it looks like it’s a no go then they would still be able to cancel the tour 

Edited by uktog

Thanks to all who have replied to this. It seems that there is no definitive answer and our success depends entirely on people, rules and events unknown until we are actually there.  

Azamara has not yet responded to my email inquiry on this a week ago. I called and they said "no problem" on this but I need something in writing before I can trust them.

At this time, I believe we may have to make other arrangements for our day in Barcelona. Fortunately there is plenty of time to adjust.

John

10 hours ago, ohcsim123 said:

Thanks to all who have replied to this. It seems that there is no definitive answer and our success depends entirely on people, rules and events unknown until we are actually there.  

Azamara has not yet responded to my email inquiry on this a week ago. I called and they said "no problem" on this but I need something in writing before I can trust them.

At this time, I believe we may have to make other arrangements for our day in Barcelona. Fortunately there is plenty of time to adjust.

John

Making other arrangements is the only rational approach.  Azamara can't give you a guarantee in writing because this isn't their decision:  cruise lines are always glad to have people leave early, to give the crew more time to clean the cabin; the problem is that you can't leave unless the local customs/immigration service is available to clear you, and that is neither under Azamara's control nor even predictable [watch an episode of The Andy Griffith Show:  some days you get Andy, some days you get Barnie Fife...]