First Timer, pre-cruise question

puzzums

Hi there,

I have just booked a cruise with Princess and it is my first time with this cruise line, so I’m sure to have a lot of questions over the next few months, lol!  We have booked an Alaskan cruise for June 1/24.

My first question is regarding pre-booking excursions.  Do I have to book them using the Medallion app, or can it be done just from the main website?  I have not downloaded the app yet but have been reading up on it here on Cruise Critic.  I am hopelessly non tech-savvy and will admit the thought of getting it downloaded and figuring out how to use it has me a little nervous.  Also, can the excursions be booked prior to full payment of the cruise?  

Second question:  If my cabin mate (my sister) gets a beverage package, do I have to get the exact same one too, or can I choose a different package?  I am not a big drinker, maybe one or two cocktails a day, and otherwise mainly just sodas, juice, milk, and an occasional cafe mocha.

Thanks all!

2 minutes ago, puzzums said:

Hi there,

I have just booked a cruise with Princess and it is my first time with this cruise line, so I’m sure to have a lot of questions over the next few months, lol!  We have booked an Alaskan cruise for June 1/24.

My first question is regarding pre-booking excursions.  Do I have to book them using the Medallion app, or can it be done just from the main website?  I have not downloaded the app yet but have been reading up on it here on Cruise Critic.  I am hopelessly non tech-savvy and will admit the thought of getting it downloaded and figuring out how to use it has me a little nervous.  Also, can the excursions be booked prior to full payment of the cruise?  

Second question:  If my cabin mate (my sister) gets a beverage package, do I have to get the exact same one too, or can I choose a different package?  I am not a big drinker, maybe one or two cocktails a day, and otherwise mainly just sodas, juice, milk, and an occasional cafe mocha.

Thanks all! 

Welcome!

1) Excursions are best looked at and managed from the main website.. You can read details, etc.  Ship's excursions do have to be paid at time of booking.. Depending on your itinerary, loc operators may be a better option.. worth looking into.

2) if you're talking the stand-alone beverage packages - Nope. Princess does not require all adults to purchase the same beverage package (or any beverage package). One can buy the Plus Beverage Package and the other can buy the Premier beverage package. Or one can buy the Premier and the other the Zero Proof.. or one the Plus and the other nothing.  When you're talking the stand-alone beverage packages...  

As an aside - Princess also has the bundled Cruise Packages, names Plus and Premier after the included beverage packages, which include WiFi package, crew appreciation (aka daily gratuities or service charge), casual dining, medallion shipping and various other things..  if talking the bundled Cruise Packages - yes, the first two passengers in a cabin have to purchase the same Cruise Package, or neither can...

Hope that helps - welcome! Happy Sails! 

2(a) Let's separate plus and premier fares from beverage packages. The plus and premier fares include a beverage package, basically 15 alcoholic beverages per day and unlimited non alcoholic beverages with some exceptions, unlimited wifi, daily crew appreciation (gratuities), casual dining meals, access to Ocean Now & room service and other things. See web site below. The cost is US$60pp/day plus, US$80 pp/day premier over the standard fare. If the first person in the cabin selects one of these fares the 2nd person must also select it. US$15 covers maybe 90% of the alcoholic beverages on board. Doing the math you will find that 2 to 3 alcoholic beverages per person per day is the break even point. It depends on how many non alcoholic beverages such as specialty coffees you consume and how much of the other benefits you would use if paying directly for them.

2(b) If you were to purchase the stand alone beverage package, the same ones that are included within the plus and premier fares, the cost would be US$76.69 per day for the plus package and US$100.28 per day for the premier package. The daily cost is more than the inclusive plus and premier fares. The stand alone packages are individual. One person in the cabin can purchase and the other not purchase. There is very little justification to purchase the stand alone package(s).

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&ei=UTF-8&p=Princess+cruises+deluxe+balcony+photos&type=E210US105G0#id=3&vid=cbedfde51ba11ff42acacf3bb73430e5&action=click 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HiCCCs said:

Does anyone know ... if you're traveling solo can you bring two bottles of wine on board without having to pay the fee since I had to pay double for the room?

Princess' policy is pretty clear on this... one bottle of wine per person.  No mention of cabin occupancy or who paid what fare.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Princess' policy is pretty clear on this... one bottle of wine per person.  No mention of cabin occupancy or who paid what fare.

Yes....I suspected as much. Nonetheless, it's a bit stingy since solo cruisers are paying "as if" there were another person in the room.  I wonder if they cut the suite and Elite complimentary mini-bar in half for solo travelers???  I'll be turning Elite on the second leg of a B2B and will see if they set up my cabin on that second leg with a complimentary mini-bar. I certainly plan to let the cabin steward know I'm turning Elite on the second leg!  

16 minutes ago, HiCCCs said:

Does anyone know ... if you're traveling solo can you bring two bottles of wine on board without having to pay the fee since I had to pay double for the room?

It's one x 750ml bottle/pp, not per cabin. You could try. The worst that could happen is you will be charged the $20 corkage for the second bottle.

Yes, you will receive a full mini bar. I would suggest a visit to the Captain's Circle desk on the first leg to confirm that records have you as elite for the 2nd leg of the voyage. You can inform the cabin steward, but they are not the ones responsible to mini bar delivery. It's room service. They get their list of mini bar deliveries from the ship's records.

As a reminder, don't forget the comp. laundry on the 2nd leg.  

Edited by skynight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, skynight said:

It's one x 750ml bottle/pp, not per cabin. You could try. The worst that could happen is you will be charged the $20 corkage for the second bottle. 

I am going to try!!!  Just to see what they say and do. There are some nice wines here in Australia that I doubt will be onboard for this Sea-cation from Sydney to Melbourne to Adelaide/Kangaroo Island and back to Melbourne. It's nice to have a bottle of wine in the cabin so as not to have to run to the nearest bar.  It wasn't that long ago it was only $15 for the xtra bottle. COVID has cranked up the fees on everything!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, skynight said:

Yes, you will receive a full mini bar. I would suggest a visit to the Captain's Circle desk on the first leg to confirm that records have you as elite for the 2nd leg of the voyage. 

Thanks for that recommendation to swing by Captains Circle desk to confirm their records. I'm looking forward to the perks and privileges finally arriving at Elite.

The excursions and drinks questions seem to be covered. I'd touch on your comment about not being tech-savvy. Yes, the App can cause some anxiety and some have been fortunate using it, and some have had difficulties.  You don't have to use it on the ship if you don't want to, but to the extent you are able, doing your pre-boarding helps. 

I'd suggest going to the Princess website and where you find the small black boxes to download the App. Instead, below those click the text to use the web version. We found this much smoother. Log in using your booking number and if you get into a jam, you can ask an OceanNavigator by calling Princess.

Before you cruise, print your cruise summary and luggage tags from the website.

Edited by mtnesterz

9 hours ago, puzzums said:

To modify the above, there is really no reason for anyone to consider purchasing the standalone beverage package unless no one wants internet or do not pay the CA (gratuities).  Two Plus plans cost $120/day. 

Otherwise, one person is paying ~$77 + $16 + $15 = $108/day.  Are you going to use OCEAN Now ordering?  That is another flat $15 for the voyage.  Are you going to use Casual Dining?  Once the value is about $15.  The non-drinker is paying $16 + $15/day = $31.  Total cost is $139/day.  Throw away one internet plan and you are at $124/day.  Throw away both internet plans and you are at $109/day.  It takes virtually nothing much to get to $120/day after that. 

Either go with no plan or both go Plus.  Nothing else makes sense.

Just figure out which items you will use and their cost.  The difference between that and $60/day is the amount to compare to what alcohol and non-alcohol beverages you will likely consume.

• Like 2

Welcome!!!!

I am sure that this has already added to your confusion!!!!

I would agree that booking the cabin, with both of you on the PLUS package might be the easy way to go.  And, yes, you could easily break even.  The PLUS package will cover gratuities as well as covering dining at venues like Alfredo's.  ( Which is highly recommended, best pizza onboard )

Juices, mocktails, coffee and specialty coffees, bottled water, soda, etc...  those can add up.

Ohhhh, perhaps with the big specialty desert sundae, even if you don't want that, just have them do that, as an included item, and just give you the scoops of ice cream/gelato.  So, even  without PLUS or a separate beverage package, you could enjoy the gelato, and the charge for that would be covered.

( I believe that I have heard of people doing that )

I believe that, otherwise, tap water, tea, lemonade, and the basic coffee in the dining rooms, are covered.

One note:  I might be wrong, but WIFI with PLUS only covers one device per cabin???

Can any of you experts give details.

If this is true, what would it take for one of these ladies to purchase WIFI ?

Edited by Wishing on a star

Thanks!  Yes, that is what I thought...  Sharing the one included WIFI package might work out well for couples who can share the device, or one can log off, and the other can then log on.

But, that might not work as well for many.  Especially friends or family who are not a 'couple'.

So, this is good to clarify for this poster.

Booking with the PLUS package might work out well for them.

But perhaps, since one sister enjoys adult beverages, which makes booking with PLUS a greater value, she might get her own WIFI for her phone/device.  I do not know if she would be open to that idea, to work it out for the best for both of you?  

One can sign up for WIFI when they board the ship. 

Here is the current info on purchasing WIFI :

Guests can choose to bundle unlimited Wi-Fi (along with other perks) with their cruise with Princess PLUS fares.

MedallionNet Wi-Fi is also available for purchase in the MedallionClass® app starting at $14.99 per day USD pre-cruise for a single-device.

If you booked PLUS and did it this way, It might still come out better than booking without PLUS, and each one paying everything as they go.  Or better than the sister booking a drink package separately, and then still paying gratuities, etc.

The Drink Package separately shows $64.99 per day.

(which is more than the PLUS package, and does not include WIFI or perks)

So, to book with PLUS, and then to purchase WIFI still might be better than booking without PLUS and then , later, paying separately to add Drink Package, WIFI, and Gratuities, etc .

It all comes out in the math.

Edited by Wishing on a star

16 hours ago, puzzums said:

I am not a big drinker, maybe one or two cocktails a day, and otherwise mainly just sodas, juice, milk, and an occasional cafe mocha.

If you don't want the Wi-Fi or OceanNow, you might also consider the Classic Soda Package.  That one is only $14.99 plus 18% gratuity.  That will cover the sodas on your list.  You would just pay for the cocktails ($12 to $$$, depending on if you prefer top shelf alcohol) and mochas (~$5).  Might save a few dollars per day, if you only have one cocktail and like the kind on the lower end of the spectrum.

If you do want the Wi-Fi or OceanNow, the best option is the Princess Plus Fare ($16 per day for tips, $14.99 per day for Wi-Fi, $14.99 per day for OceanNow, $30 conservatively for 2 cocktails a day)--these alone will make it worth it and the sodas and mochas haven't even been factored in.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HiCCCs said:

Yes....I suspected as much. Nonetheless, it's a bit stingy since solo cruisers are paying "as if" there were another person in the room.  I wonder if they cut the suite and Elite complimentary mini-bar in half for solo travelers???  I'll be turning Elite on the second leg of a B2B and will see if they set up my cabin on that second leg with a complimentary mini-bar. I certainly plan to let the cabin steward know I'm turning Elite on the second leg!  

Hi @HiCCCs, for clarification you state ‘I’ll be turning Elite on the second leg of B2B’, do you really mean during your first leg of B2B, you will have finally met Elite threshold of 15 cruise credits or 150 days? OR is it on the SECOND leg of the B2B, you meet the threshold? 

No, minibar is NOT reduced for solo’s. Also sometimes Princess does not charge a supplement for solo’s. I have seen the supplement be 0 to 100%. One cruise line had a per cabin policy(so solo’s could bring 2), for bringing bottles of Wine/Champagne, but I believe it was recently revised to per person.

You do NOT earn your credits till AFTER you complete your cruise, so if it is the second segment that will qualify you for Elite, then you will need to wait for your NEXT sailing to be recognized as Elite. You do not get recognized as Elite if that sailing is the one where you will reach the thresholds. 

I know of one exception to this rule and it is, if you qualify for a new tier in the first couple of days of a LONG voyage, the Loyalty agent may upgrade you for the entire voyage. I am unsure of Princess definition of LONG, but I know this occurred for a passenger on a 26 day voyage.

Princess now has Future cruises handle Loyalty queries and matters. On the Emerald, there is a dedicated Captain circle desk opposite Guest Services and during select hours, the lead Future cruise agent would be there. On many other ships, there is no longer Captain circle desk, just go to Future cruises and ALL of the agents are supposed to be trained in Loyalty matters.

If the first segment will qualify you for Elite tier, verify with Future cruise on first leg and they will make sure you are upgraded to Elite for the second segment. They may have you go to guest services for a new medallion or just place/give you  ‘Elite’ sticker for your existing Medallion. They will also let you know if on the second segment if it might be a slight delay it getting the system to recognize your new tier and have to manually update the system, then call the appropriate departments to get you new benefits/amenities.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wallyj said:

Hi @HiCCCs, for clarification you state ‘I’ll be turning Elite on the second leg of B2B’, do you really mean during your first leg of B2B, you will have finally met Elite threshold of 15 cruise credits or 150 days? OR is it on the SECOND leg of the B2B, you meet the threshold? 

No, minibar is NOT reduced for solo’s. Also sometimes Princess does not charge a supplement for solo’s. I have seen the supplement be 0 to 100%. One cruise line had a per cabin policy(so solo’s could bring 2), for bringing bottles of Wine/Champagne, but I believe it was recently revised to per person.

You do NOT earn your credits till AFTER you complete your cruise, so if it is the second segment that will qualify you for Elite, then you will need to wait for your NEXT sailing to be recognized as Elite. You do not get recognized as Elite if that sailing is the one where you will reach the thresholds. 

I know of one exception to this rule and it is, if you qualify for a new tier in the first couple of days of a LONG voyage, the Loyalty agent may upgrade you for the entire voyage. I am unsure of Princess definition of LONG, but I know this occurred for a passenger on a 26 day voyage.

Princess now has Future cruises handle Loyalty queries and matters. On the Emerald, there is a dedicated Captain circle desk opposite Guest Services and during select hours, the lead Future cruise agent would be there. On many other ships, there is no longer Captain circle desk, just go to Future cruises and ALL of the agents are supposed to be trained in Loyalty matters.

If the first segment will qualify you for Elite tier, verify with Future cruise on first leg and they will make sure you are upgraded to Elite for the second segment. They may have you go to guest services for a new medallion or just place/give you  ‘Elite’ sticker for your existing Medallion. They will also let you know if on the second segment if it might be a slight delay it getting the system to recognize your new tier and have to manually update the system, then call the appropriate departments to get you new benefits/amenities.

Dear wallyj.....

Thank you for all of this information. Sorry that I wasn't clearer in my query that I will be crossing the 15 cruise segments upon completing the first leg of the B2B...and jump in line as Elite status as I begin the second leg of the B2B. Without being overly obnoxious ("Who? Me?") I won't make too much of a fuss about it but will check in with Future Cruises as I have a few things to clean up or discuss on current scheduled cruises and want to purchase Future Cruise Deposits.

I'm really starting to itch for this B2B in less than 6 days!!!  YAHOO!!! Sail away, sail away, sail away!

• Like 1

@HiCCCs, since you are going to be going to the Future cruise desk anyway, make sure you ask to see the list of the selected sailings that are 50% off! Congrats for reaching Elite. 

This is a new promo introduced this year that sadly I heard is finally ending at the end of the month.

Do not confuse this promo with the Princess website of up to 50% off.

The on board promo is for guests currently on board and can not be booked if you are not on the ship. You are allowed to add a passenger2 who may not be on the ship, but you passenger1 needs to be on board.

The 50% off is in most cases 50% the fare you see on Princess.com. Can not be combined with regional and targeted offers, so when checking fares, do not login. For solo’s it is like no solo supplement and if the Princess fare already has a low solo supplement, you still get 50% off that fare!

Fares are capacity controlled, so even if there are cabins available, the 50% off numbers allowed may have been reached, and even if more than 90 days out, may require payment in full at time of booking. 

Many of the fares were also discounting the Plus pkg so you were only paying $30/day instead of the current $60/day.

The list used to be about 5 pages but last time I saw, it was down to 2 pages, more specially, one page, front and back. There were some sailings out to May 2024. 

As of April this year, future cruise deposits will expire in 1 year, but close to expiration date, you should be able to call Princess before expiration and get it extended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wallyj said:

@HiCCCs, since you are going to be going to the Future cruise desk anyway, make sure you ask to see the list of the selected sailings that are 50% off! Congrats for reaching Elite. 

This is a new promo introduced this year that sadly I heard is finally ending at the end of the month.

Do not confuse this promo with the Princess website of up to 50% off.

The on board promo is for guests currently on board and can not be booked if you are not on the ship. You are allowed to add a passenger2 who may not be on the ship, but you passenger1 needs to be on board.

The 50% off is in most cases 50% the fare you see on Princess.com. Can not be combined with regional and targeted offers, so when checking fares, do not login. For solo’s it is like no solo supplement and if the Princess fare already has a low solo supplement, you still get 50% off that fare!

Fares are capacity controlled, so even if there are cabins available, the 50% off numbers allowed may have been reached, and even if more than 90 days out, may require payment in full at time of booking. 

Many of the fares were also discounting the Plus pkg so you were only paying $30/day instead of the current $60/day.

The list used to be about 5 pages but last time I saw, it was down to 2 pages, more specially, one page, front and back. There were some sailings out to May 2024. 

As of April this year, future cruise deposits will expire in 1 year, but close to expiration date, you should be able to call Princess before expiration and get it extended.

WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!! Thanks, very much, wallyj. You have a wealth of information. Can we be best friends??  I have never heard of this special on board promo and, quite frankly, I haven't really bothered the Future cruise folks in the past until most recently going through the Panama Canal and decided to chat them up. Well, they certainly were a big help - more so than my Cruise Planner who I often have to hound to get help on issues. They were able to get reduced fairs on two of my future cruises, secured a more preferred cabin on an upcoming sailing aboard the new Sun Princess, and they found some additional OBC to put in my pocket. Needless to say, a special "Thank You" card with a little "green" treat was delivered to him before the Panama sailing ended.

It's sad to hear they might be ending this on board promo you've mentioned. Seems to me a good way to reward folks who are already on board and wanting to sail again...and again. Maybe Princess will change their mind....but if they've gone from 5 pages of special deals on select sailings down to only 2 pages it doesn't sound like it. I heard about the change in the future cruise deposit from a 2-year shelf-life down to 1-year. 

Again, thanks so very much, wallyj, for all of your tips and tricks. I will be certain to plan to meet with the Future cruise department sooner rather than later on the first leg of my B2B.