General rules regarding price drops

IAcruising

If there is another recent thread that covers this, feel free to point me to it.

We'll be taking our first HAL cruise in August. Can't wait. We booked early, received the max HIA package with gratuities and elite beverage package included. We have a PCC. Final payment isn't due until May.

Just noticed about a $700 price drop. Before I call my PCC, I'd like to know what to expect, what others have experienced, and how to respond.

Thanks in advance.

There is a good chance that with that price drop your promotion has changed. More than likely it is no longer the HIA Plus, so you will not have the Pre paid gratuities, Elite Beverage Package and possibly ship board credit. You may also have a larger deposit required. Also many of the new promotions are for new bookings only. But with that being said the only way to find out is to call in to your PCC and see what they say. Just make sure you are not losing anything that is important to you.

Welcome to HAL!! I hope you like it as much as we do.

Unfortunately, there is no one right answer; I think you'll read different actions from different people because of the inconsistent way HAL handles this.

We have received credit for the price drop by seeing a new lower price on our invoice thus making total due at final payment less. This does not change any of your package or perks nor the booking number. It is simply a reprice of your booking by the amount you saw you "overpaid".

We've also received that same amount back in OBC - not in addition to the reprice, instead of.

Those are the 2 most common, easiest resolutions I've experienced when outside final payment (as you said your booking is). 

There've been times when rebooking has been mentioned, but being outside final payment, I've chosen to speak to someone else rather than go down that path.

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

What are the gratuities and elite beverage package upgrade costs for 2 people, 14-days, if I had to pay them? Since they're included, I can't see them.

I'm guessing it's more, or close, to the $700 price drop now available.

I believe the key words to use are refaring as opposed to rebooking.  You want your PCC to check to see if your fare can be reduced to match the current offering. As others have said, you may lose some perks due if the promo you booked under is no longer available.  Know what you have going in, and what is important to you.  I'm sure (hope) your PCC will help you determine if the price drop is worth any loss in perks.  Also, make sure that your new fare does not suddenly become non refundable (some have said that has happened).  Good Luck!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

We have received credit for the price drop by seeing a new lower price on our invoice thus making total due at final payment less. This does not change any of your package or perks nor the booking number.

This is obviously the best-case scenario, and how NCL handles it. If my PCC has the option, I can be persuasive. 😆

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

What are the gratuities and elite beverage package upgrade costs for 2 people, 14-days, if I had to pay them? Since they're included, I can't see them.

For some items, like a beverage package or included shore excursions (if that was in you HIA), the real question is not how much they cost if you were to pay for them, but how much they are worth to you.  For example, if you are not big drinkers than you are likely not going to use what you are paying for in the beverage package and buying drinks ala carte may be better.  Same goes for any included shore excursions if you really prefer private shore excursions than the ones from HAL.  Gratuities are a different matter since everyone pays them.

3 minutes ago, Torquer said:

the real question is not how much they cost if you were to pay for them, but how much they are worth to you. 

If they weren't important, I wouldn't be asking about them. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

The daily Crew Appreciation charge is $16.00 per guest per day for non-suite stateroom guests and $17.50 per guest per day for suite guests. The charges are subject to change without notice.

Upgrading Signature Beverage to Elite has been $10pppd and both must do it. This has an additional service charge of $1.80 pppd as well. 

So $778.40 if you are NOT in a suite, and $820.40 in a suite (including a Vista Suite).

It's really hard to beat the Early Booking Bonus terms!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

I'm guessing it's more, or close, to the $700 price drop now available.

$16 x 14 x 2 = $448

I seem to remember it was $10 per day per person to upgrade from regular to elite, but now it is usually more practical just to pay the difference in price between the charged price and the $11 per drink allowance (+18% grat on the difference).

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

So $778.40 if you are NOT in a suite

It's really hard to beat the Early Booking Bonus terms!

3 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

$16 x 14 x 2 = $448

I seem to remember it was $10 per day per person to upgrade from regular to elite

Thank you both. Now I have a solid number in mind if I have to lose the perks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, doone said:

I would call and ask if you re-fared, what would you lose, if anything, for perks.  Sometimes its nothing, sometimes, for me, its not worth it...............

Message left for PCC. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

There is also premium internet for two devices instead of the regular "surf" for just one; it all adds up.

That is a great perk. Less important than the drink package and gratuities, but nice. 

Your PCC (or TA) also has the price for every add on in their system so you can ask about base fare and add premium wifi or whatever you want to compare prices. Messing with the add ons is different than repricing and will require a new booking with potential to lose your cabin choice (rarely but depends on bookings). You may find something that works better by asking then a lot of questions. Hopefully they have good answers that work out. 

My future cruise with all the perks and early booking, large OBC, etc went down in fare but I would lose the better package and OBC. My TA and I did the numbers crunch. I decided to stay with original fare and I won’t have any bill to pay at the end of trip.Thats how I like to travel.

Edited by Ellencruise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1