Luggage shipped from home to NCL cruise ship

zubee23

i would be really worried about my luggage getting on board.  you need to put your tags on the luggage so when (if) it gets to the dock a porter will pick it up, and hope that the tags dont fall off in transit.  then you have to worry about your luggage sitting at the pier, and it getting on/off the plane and who will pick it up at the arrival carousel. 

im 75,sometimes i put the cpap into my carry-on, sometimes i check it in with my other luggage. 

you can always find someone to assist you with  your luggage at most airports.

then you have to take the entire package and worry that your luggage even gets on the correct plane (this even happens if you check in your bags) especially if there are one or more connections.

personally, i wouldnt take the chance, but i'm an avowed pessimist, and always see the glass as 1/2 empty. i'm also a strict adherent to murphy's law.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zubee23 said:

Any experience with this?  Age is catching up with this solo traveler!  Too much to fly with one or two suitcases and a CPAP.  
Googled it and at least one service popped up.
Thank you for any thoughts.

No way would I trust any service to do that.

IF you go that route I would use Apple AirTags and TILE. Ironically I have located two lost bags with Tile.... (they were lost in the airport after falling off a conveyer belt) I also found the AirTag to work great while trying to find our suitcase after a cruise when it was put in the wrong section.... it was about 100ft from where it should have been 

https://amzn.to/45MC3B0

https://amzn.to/3rXy5Ie

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, complawyer said:

air tags will do you absolutely "NO GOOD" if you're at he cruise ship pier, and your luggage isn't, especially of you're at a foreign port.

my strong advice (unless you're a gambling man): dont do it!!

Sure it WILL....his luggage might not be with him but he will know where it is Lol

Another good reason to cross pack using both a carry on and checked luggage

I would only trust it to go home. If you can’t handle your luggage solo I would suggest looking into a black car service. When I travel on business solo I hire a car and the driver is waiting at arrivals. For domestic flights they pick up the luggage off the belt, bring it to the car and load everything etc I’ve had enough luggage to fill 2 carts so I help but they insist on doing the heavy lifting. If flying international many airports have porters that will help for a fee within the baggage hall etc and then you can still hire a black car service for the airport to your hotel and again from the hotel to the port etc. 

I use AirTags in everything all the time but they aren’t the best when shipping. Sometimes it will be days without tracking because it’s on a train or something. Still gives me piece of mind when I have something very precious being shipped but it wouldn’t help your bag getting to the terminal in time. 

options B which I know may not be popular but you can try packing lighter. My 15 night cruise I am using a medium size rolling bag and a large purse and I will do laundry once. 

Edited by SoloAlaska
Option B

On 10/24/2023 at 5:48 AM, complawyer said:

i would be really worried about my luggage getting on board.  you need to put your tags on the luggage so when (if) it gets to the dock a porter will pick it up, and hope that the tags dont fall off in transit.  then you have to worry about your luggage sitting at the pier, and it getting on/off the plane and who will pick it up at the arrival carousel. 

We ship our luggage every time we travel.  The company you choose picks it up at your home and you see it next in your suite at your destination on embarkation day.  They handle all the details.  The company is in touch with us every step of the way.  Expensive, yes, but some things are worth the money.  

• Like 2

what happens when it gets to the pier. does the company rep give it directly to the porters, does he tip them. what happens if by some chance the luggage tags get torn off in transit, as your company has no control over the bags once they're on the plane. what happens if they are arent there at final destination or were somehow misdirected by the airline? also you indicated that it was expensive. might i inquire what was the actual cost, and do you book the service round trip?

last january, we were on the trans-canal on the ncl jewel. there were 2 very nice ladies in the cabin next door   (haven suite)who utilized the ncl bogo air offer and the hotel offer. while everything almost went well, somehow in transit from the hotel (remember booked by/thru ncl) their luggage never made it to the ship prior to departure. while all was not lost, their luggage arrived 3 days later (( 9   day cruise)

im glad for you that it works out well. 

i have admitted to being a pessimist, and a devout adherent to "murphy's law" 

so personally i would never take the chance.

im absolutely certain that most of the posters have had the feeling of dread, watching the luggage carousel go round and round and round and not seeing their bags, and the overwhelming feeling of joy and relief when they finally arrive.

im also certain that anyone who has ever flown has experienced the feeling of despair when the carousel finally stops and their luggage isnt there.

just imagine, flying into any port (especially european) on the exact day of embarkation, and finding out your luggage didnt make it. hellova way to start a vacation!

sorry for the drama!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

what happens when it gets to the pier. does the company rep give it directly to the porters, does he tip them. what happens if by some chance the luggage tags get torn off in transit, as your company has no control over the bags once they're on the plane. what happens if they are arent there at final destination or were somehow misdirected by the airline? also you indicated that it was expensive. might i inquire what was the actual cost, and do you book the service round trip?

last january, we were on the trans-canal on the ncl jewel. there were 2 very nice ladies in the cabin next door   (haven suite)who utilized the ncl bogo air offer and the hotel offer. while everything almost went well, somehow in transit from the hotel (remember booked by/thru ncl) their luggage never made it to the ship prior to departure. while all was not lost, their luggage arrived 3 days later (( 9   day cruise)

im glad for you that it works out well. 

i have admitted to being a pessimist, and a devout adherent to "murphy's law" 

so personally i would never take the chance.

im absolutely certain that most of the posters have had the feeling of dread, watching the luggage carousel go round and round and round and not seeing their bags, and the overwhelming feeling of joy and relief when they finally arrive.

im also certain that anyone who has ever flown has experienced the feeling of despair when the carousel finally stops and their luggage isnt there.

just imagine, flying into any port (especially european) on the exact day of embarkation, and finding out your luggage didnt make it. hellova way to start a vacation!

sorry for the drama!

Agree wholeheartedly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

traveling man, thank you. it seems our posts go back many years (to even ask and answers on ncl fleet description) I have always considered your answers/posts as knowledgeable, well informed and interesting to read.

Having retired after spending over thirty years working for the USPS, I would not ship my luggage to the ship. Shipping them home  after the cruise would be okay since you would not need them to arrive for a specific time. Most of my years were at a busy mail processing center. I worked as a platform expediter and as a data technician doing quality control and finding "lost" packages. Too many chances for something to go wrong shipping to a port. 

Any logistic company would face the same issues as the USPS. Such as weather delays, broken down vehicles, accidents on the highway etc. Also, I wonder where at the port it would be delivered and who would make sure it made it to the ship?

Myself, and many of my co-workers were college educated. So I hope that you also find my posts knowledgeable though probably not that interesting.

19 hours ago, complawyer said:

In reading all of the comments here, we see a lot of negativity and hand-wringing.  Rather than us trying to explain how the process works, better to go to the website of one of the shipping companies (e.g. we use Luggage Forward) and let them explain how the process works.  The website will also give you a cost estimate based on where you are headed.