Nonsensical Dress Code

ggo85

36 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Why quote me yet not address my point? 

Don’t know the first thing about a tie. But I will say that it doesn’t take more effort - from packing to execution to pull off formal nights in my opinion. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

Don’t know the first thing about a tie. But I will say that it doesn’t take more effort - from packing to execution to pull off formal nights in my opinion. 

I'd agree, but sometimes I do dither in my choice of studs and cufflinks at times. 😄  "Accessorizing" is a lot easier for (most) guys.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, applefan75 said:

You've got one heck of a crystal ball then.  Silversea is doing just fine.

Looking at the cruise industry as a whole – I see two widespread trends:  (1) realization that the existing customer base is reaching its sell-by date so need to attract the next generations; (2) realization that the younger generations are far less formal in dress.  Add to that:  (3) Silversea is adding lots of new capacity, so the existing customers can't possibly fill the fleet to profitability levels (especially with RCG expecting it to do its share to pay down the massive Covid loans).

Here's a short-term check on Silversea management's view of this:  if the Nova dress code is applied to Ray, you can expect it on the older ships.  [The expedition ships are already even less formal than Nova.]

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Looking at the cruise industry as a whole – I see two widespread trends:  (1) realization that the existing customer base is reaching its sell-by date so need to attract the next generations; (2) realization that the younger generations are far less formal in dress.  Add to that:  (3) Silversea is adding lots of new capacity, so the existing customers can't possibly fill the fleet to profitability levels (especially with RCG expecting it to do its share to pay down the massive Covid loans).

Here's a short-term check on Silversea management's view of this:  if the Nova dress code is applied to Ray, you can expect it on the older ships.  [The expedition ships are already even less formal than Nova.]

Couldn’t agree more—I’ve been saying that for years….It’s happening…….

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, david63 said:

Are they mutually exclusive?

My thought when I read that, too.  We've certainly had both concurrently in past times, and are trying to continue to do so by booking our first SS cruise.  Based upon all I've read, I think we'll enjoy both on Dawn.

That said, on a transoceanic cruise, the shipboard experience becomes more important than usual.

To answer a couple of questions above. We’re in Bangkok.  It’s a 5+ hour RT bus ride - plus a 5-hour tour.  Anyone going into Bangkok will have a 10-11 hour day and others have afternoon tours of local attractions. Given the number of buses, I think most will be back after 6.  Last night, the butlers formed a “welcome back” committee around 6 pm because so many of us returned at that time. This is day 2 of this. People are tired. 

DH doesn’t want to wear a dress shirt, dress pants, dress shoes and a jacket.  I just want to wear (clean) Skechers, casual pants and a casual top.  Not garden clothes. 

For us, the dress code means something- otherwise why have it? Informal for women means nice slacks, dressy blouse, nice shoes, makeup, hair and jewelry.  It’s not just the dress; it’s the idea of making an effort to look nice vs look decent. It’s enjoying dressing up (which we do) vs. loathing it.  

It’s the attitude as much as the attire. I just don’t understand why it’s so hard to have casual night when most of the passengers come back to the ship after 6 pm for the second day in a row.  Why is it so important to be informal tonight?? 

As I said at the outset, it’s not the dress code per se, but rather that the way it’s applied seems to lack reason or rationality.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, david63 said:

Are they mutually exclusive?

In a sense.  There can always only be one Number One.  I wouldn't go on Crystal (with the best food we have ever had) unless the itinerary was also very appealing.  I would go on a ship with only ok food, as we did with Australis, if the itinerary is super appealing and can't be done any other way, as it is with their in-depth cruise of Cape Horn and the Chilean Fjords.  I chose Silver Whisper for New Zealand because the itinerary was better than Silver Muse – knowing that we were giving up the range of specialty restaurants – and if Ponant still did the NZ itinerary they cancelled twice because of Covid, I would be on them and not Silversea.

As Bob Dylan said, "You gotta serve somebody" – there is always a Number One.

• Like 1

First of all, I understand the TO that to dress up after a long tour is not that what he/she wants.

we think of booking a cruise in Alaska next year but also don’t know if the dresscode will be right for us.

we like to dress nice in the evening but do not like to wear the formal clothes.

nice trousers with nice white shirt - ok…

tie - not really and suit is always to warm.

so it seemed like we will be totally underdressed ?

is there a Buffett where you can have casual dinner ?

thanks

51 minutes ago, JanDom said:

First of all, I understand the TO that to dress up after a long tour is not that what he/she wants.

we think of booking a cruise in Alaska next year but also don’t know if the dresscode will be right for us.

we like to dress nice in the evening but do not like to wear the formal clothes.

nice trousers with nice white shirt - ok…

tie - not really and suit is always to warm.

so it seemed like we will be totally underdressed ?

is there a Buffett where you can have casual dinner ?

thanks

Hi, Alaska is much more casual and no, SS does not offer a buffet for dinner.

20 minutes ago, JanDom said:

Much more casual sounds perfekt.

my husband likes to wear shirt and vest together with a nice trouser - will this be ok for informal evenings ?

the formal evenings we will skip or go to la terazza 👍🏽

Oh yes.  I have seen so many vests on men on our current Nova TA for "elegant casual" nights.  It's practically a fashion statement!

17 minutes ago, dawntrdr said:

I have seen so many vests on men on our current Nova TA for "elegant casual" nights.

I do like the way in which words have a totally different meaning in different countries. On first reading that I was thinking of the English "vest" as opposed to the American - two totally different items of apparel.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, JanDom said:

I thought and was talking about something like this ….

IMG_8622.webp.29dfb0cb9b50d87af4896cf73da2d0f7.webp

sorry - what is the right word for that - I always have to ask the translator and I know sometimes it is not the best idea 😂

Vest in US, waistcoat in UK.

Vest in UK is what US calls undershirt, (or even 'wifebeater' - ugh, how I hate that term).

Edited by jollyjones

41 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

A UK  vest .... with the fashion police😁 in hot pursuit.

At least he is wearing a jacket.🙄

Rab-C-Nesbitt.webp

I think one of them has a tie and is trying to make him put it on for Formal Night.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nice to see Rab C Nesbitt alive and kicking. He was at the pool bar on our last cruise mopping up the Scotch. Later seen dining in Atlantide on formal night with Father Ted, Father Jack and Dougal. None were wearing a jacket or tie. Maître d' did try to intervene but Father Jack had a word in his ear and that was that.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, difranco said:

Nice to see Rab C Nesbitt alive and kicking. He was at the pool bar on our last cruise mopping up the Scotch. Later seen dining in Atlantide on formal night with Father Ted, Father Jack and Dougal. None were wearing a jacket or tie. Maître d' did try to intervene but Father Jack had a word in his ear and that was that.

And what did he whisper?  "Women's knickers"?